Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Dec 2009, 04:46 (Ref:2592106)   #1
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Homebush Street Circuit

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/circui...?vid=139&ind=M

I know there has been some fleeting chat about the circuit in the race thread, but this is specifically on the circuit. Might be handy for those not familiar with the area too...

I did a couple of laps of the entire circuit today, and I've got to say I kind of like it - which I was not expecting.

I wouldn't say it is "awesome", but it is certainly quite nice...

My take:

START/FINISH STRAIGHT - On the left is an impressive new pit building, on the right is a carbon copy of the shadeless stand alongside Adelaide's main straight. From the grid the straight runs downhill, opening up to be incredibly wide on the approach to Turn 1. As you are heading westbound, there may be some sunlight issues late in the day. Interestingly, two cops had parked their Highway Patrol SS Commodore on the grid with lights on and were posing for photos when I went through...

TURN 1 - Will be interesting on the first lap, given the grid is quite some way back up the straight, and given the VERY wide approach. Just the one small grandstand on the right, directly opposite the apex - they may well see the most action. A pretty straight forward 90-degree left, the wide approach and a comparatively narrow exit is really the main challenge, before blasting along the next straight between bushland on the right and the Easter Show pavillions on the left.

TURN 2 - This chicane had not been fully built when I went through, though it appears to be a pretty open chicane - and relatively fast compared to other corners on the circuit. This corner is on the forecourt of Acer Arena and has a large covered grandstand to the right - from where I would expect to see cars bouncing across kerbs at a reasonable clip. The track narrows immediately on the exit for the skinny run down to Turn 3.

TURN 3 - The Turn 3 and 4 complex is the most tricky on the circuit. The approach to 3 (past Acer Arena) is extremely narrow and probably up to fifth gear... Turn 3 - in the shadows of a huge parking lot - will be FAST, before heavy braking as soon as the car is straight for Turn 4.

TURN 4 - A furious braking zone as drivers exit Turn 3 - the Olympic Stadium re-appears on the left. It is still very narrow - I expect it will be follow-the-leader through Turns 3 and 4 because of this. As far as slow chicanes go, this one isn't too bad - it is relatively open and is quite wide on the exit. A little rise on the exit should see cars breaking traction in front of the large grandstand there.

TURN 5 - A short and wide run to Turn 5 follows. Turn 5 is a quite open 3rd gear left-hander leading back past the Olympic Stadium. It will be important to get a good run off here because a long straight follows. This will be made more difficult because the exit is off-camber - while it is off-camber there is absolutely no room for error as the wall is right there on the exit. The stands are right up against the fence on the exit.

TURN 6 - A long, slightly undulating straight heads down towards Turn 6 - the Olympic Stadium on the left, a grass verge on the right. The cars will blast across Olympic Boulevarde and into the business district (past the drunks on the right at The Brewery), jumping hard on the brakes for Turn 6 - the second main passing opportunity. Turns 6 and 7 are very reminiscent of Turns 9 and 10 on the Gold Coast - though in complete sunlight as opposed to in the shadows of the skyscrapers. Two footbridges go over the track between 6 and 7, and this short shute is the first thing punters will see as they exit Olympic Park Station (on the right).

TURN 7 - If you have been passed at Turn 6, Turn 7 will present an excellent opportunity to criss-cross the passing driver and get a run down the short straight to Turn 8. There is another small rise just after the apex adding a little more complexity to the corner which opens up slightly.

TURN 8 - From Turn 7, the cars blast down the short straight with the train station on their right, before the last passing opportunity of the lap at Turn 8. Here the camber is favourable, get past the apex and you are faced with a high-rise, glass-walled office building immediately in front of you - which would be weird in a racing car - before darting to the left for the apex at Turn 9.

TURN 9 - The 8, 9, 10 complex is quite similar in character to the 5, 6, 7 complex in Adelaide, with greatest importance being placed on getting a good exit off 10 for the long straight. Get any aspect of this section wrong, and it will be difficult to get a good run onto the main straight. Turn 9 is a touch uphill.

TURN 10 - The most important corner on the circuit, it is flat and opens up nicely meaning drivers will be able to be quite aggressive with the throttle on the exit.

As I said, overall it's a lot better than I expected and should produce some pretty good racing.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 05:08 (Ref:2592108)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i havn't been around it since most of the completion last time i went around there was about 3 weeks ago. i wasn't keen on it but the racing might prove me wrong. the pits are impressive though.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 05:08 (Ref:2592109)   #3
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
haven't been there, but from photos i've seen the starting grid looks very narrow (judging on the width of the starting position lines). I'd hate to see the outcome of a stalled car or slipped clutch there. anyone clarify that?
Old 1 Dec 2009, 05:13 (Ref:2592110)   #4
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's narrower than the rest of the straight because the pitlane juts into it - it's not really any worse than Hamilton or Townsville.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2592128)   #5
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't overly impressed when I first did a lap about 6 weeks ago, but after doing a few circuits today it has grown on me.

The pit straight is narrow potential and if a car does stall like Steven Johnson did at Phillip Island there will be no way round. With the track kinking only 50 metres from the start line potential for major drama with cars trying to move to the right to approach turn 1.

Turn 2 was not complete, I am guessing it will be like the flip flop at Surfers Paradise, just hope it isn't cocked up with tyre bundles like at Hamilton.

Am expecting that the concrete walls will be given a good working over throughout the weekend.

Last edited by anthony81901; 1 Dec 2009 at 07:51.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 19:29 (Ref:2592464)   #6
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
All this talk, and why has no one taken pictures? :P
Old 1 Dec 2009, 22:39 (Ref:2592566)   #7
mac
Veteran

Cause I was on my lunch break and didn't think about it...
Old 2 Dec 2009, 01:41 (Ref:2592618)   #8
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is the fence on turn three still up on top of the curb or has it been moved so that it is in the gutter?
Old 2 Dec 2009, 02:08 (Ref:2592628)   #9
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Small video wrap up here

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 2 Dec 2009, 02:21 (Ref:2592629)   #10
mac
Veteran

Got some pretty cool "driver's view" pics today.

If someone can tell me where and how can I post them I will... ???
Old 2 Dec 2009, 02:52 (Ref:2592633)   #11
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Use imageshack.us or some similar free image hosting site, then link to it from here.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 2 Dec 2009, 03:37 (Ref:2592637)   #12
mac
Veteran

Pics here: http://img27.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=gridz.jpg

Photos are in order:
1) The grid
2) Turn 1 approach - the apex is way over on the left behind the yellow and red barrier.
3) Turn 2 - chicane is still not built.
4) Turn 3 - very narrow here.
5) Turn 4 approach - still narrow, Olympic Stadium to the left.
6) Turn 4 exit - second part of the chicane.
7) Turn 5 exit - note the road camber falling away towards the wall on the right.
8) Turn 6 approach - train station ahead.
9) Turn 7
10) Turn 8 - the paddock is on the left.
11) Turn 9 - penultimate corner.
12) Turn 10 - can't see much, kerb is behind yellow and red barrier, it's quite wide on the exit.

PS. Thanks RotorFan!
Old 2 Dec 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2592683)   #13
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The wall narrowing the straight where the pits are is an interesting design.

Also a little dangerous maybe ??
Old 2 Dec 2009, 08:04 (Ref:2592686)   #14
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any advice on how the race might be watched here in the USofA?
Old 2 Dec 2009, 08:24 (Ref:2592690)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
wait a week and it will be on speed
Old 2 Dec 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2592715)   #16
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowgto View Post
The wall narrowing the straight where the pits are is an interesting design.

Also a little dangerous maybe ??
actually, from the picture it doesn't look like it narrows at all but swerves to the right ( and presumably back again) so it is not a normal straight. If I'm right in that assumption it should be OK I would imagine - low angle of incidence with the wall if someone were to auger in there.
Old 2 Dec 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2592726)   #17
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's Mac's pics in a slideshow...I didn't have access to a couple of pics and I couldn't be bothered with subtitles...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 2 Dec 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2593086)   #18
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
wait a week and it will be on speed
I'll be back in Brisbane by then. Anyone else got some ideas?
Old 3 Dec 2009, 01:24 (Ref:2593178)   #19
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Big Pond perhaps??
Old 3 Dec 2009, 01:55 (Ref:2593186)   #20
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speedcafe's gallery has an annotated lap of the circuit in photos

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 3 Dec 2009, 03:26 (Ref:2593206)   #21
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
If the track was a half a lane wider, it'd be even better. It looks awesome right now though, fast.