Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Mar 2013, 03:13 (Ref:3225362)   #76
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell_End View Post
Have no idea what you're on about.. The aero of all the cars are fine.
How do you know that? are you part of the evaluation team?
Old 27 Mar 2013, 04:22 (Ref:3225375)   #77
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
How do you know that? are you part of the evaluation team?

No but each manufacture WAS part of the aero tests and do you honestly think they would allow their cars to be signed off on if they weren't pretty well matched??
Old 28 Mar 2013, 02:22 (Ref:3225832)   #78
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
why do they use a runway?
My best guess - because it allows them to reach max velocity a) without closing the public road that is Conrod Straight, b) said runway might have less bumps than Conrod, c) it probably makes it easier to record images and data, d) the cars might be able to stay at max v for longer, and e) harder for the media and public to get a look in.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 02:40 (Ref:3225836)   #79
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think there's a full-sized windtunnel suited to the application in Australia, either.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 04:25 (Ref:3225858)   #80
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Why the new teams were not allowed to make thier own splitter profiles is beyond me, first it makes all the cars look the same and second the GM/Ford shapes were designed for thier cars not a Merc or Nissan.
I reckon there is enough difference in the front ends, don't look the same, and no confusion for me ... the grilles and above are clearly unique to each marque, and whilst below the grilles are similar, that is by necessity due to function, and they are different enough anyway. 1 big opening for air to radiator, 2 small openings either side for brakes, all leading down to a splitter.

2013 Merc & Nissan vs 2012 Holden & Ford below

Old 28 Mar 2013, 06:08 (Ref:3225865)   #81
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Off course they test them - like I say I suspect a huge stroke has been pulled.... Porr bonnet or door fit will generate drag for an areo test, even poor fitting of coolers on the underside can have an effect, Why the new teams were not allowed to make thier own splitter profiles is beyond me, first it makes all the cars look the same and second the GM/Ford shapes were designed for thier cars not a Merc or Nissan. Seems like more ilconcieved short term thinking that seems to be the story with COF
I thought each team could do whatever they like in those area's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
My best guess - because it allows them to reach max velocity a) without closing the public road that is Conrod Straight, b) said runway might have less bumps than Conrod, c) it probably makes it easier to record images and data, d) the cars might be able to stay at max v for longer, and e) harder for the media and public to get a look in.
ok then, but why do it behind closed doors, whats to hide? surely we're aloud to see figures that each car produce.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 06:12 (Ref:3225866)   #82
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
ok then, but why do it behind closed doors, whats to hide?
Think about how Erebus wanted to keep the visuals of the Mercs under wraps as long as possible, and Holden not wanting to reveal the VF on the same basis.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 06:26 (Ref:3225869)   #83
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No but I am an areodynamisist. Just wait for Bathurst and watch the Holdens disappear!
Old 28 Mar 2013, 07:05 (Ref:3225878)   #84
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
No but I am an areodynamisist. Just wait for Bathurst and watch the Holdens disappear!
I reckon the way the Nissan's are handling, if they hit their straps at the right time they could be a dark horse...
Old 7 Apr 2013, 06:19 (Ref:3230200)   #85
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see even John Bowe has been quoted as spotting the aero issue.... Its not about downforce which will be fundamentaly the same given the rules , it all about drag
Old 7 Apr 2013, 06:55 (Ref:3230208)   #86
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I see even John Bowe has been quoted as spotting the aero issue.... Its not about downforce which will be fundamentaly the same given the rules , it all about drag
Try the aero thread.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 10:45 (Ref:3230311)   #87
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought a book yesterday, which tells me if V8sc goes to being a "Commodore Cup", then it'd continue a theme common witht the history of Australian tin top racing. The book was Australian Motor Racing Yearbook 1979/80. I was flicking through the ATCC section. The 1979 ATCC could also be called the "Torana Cup". So yeah, along with "Formula Sierra", not such as big deal.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 22:04 (Ref:3230617)   #88
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
People have complained about single team domination for ages, recently triple 8 but before that SBR or HRT... Why is it a bad thing now that it seems smaller teams can win?

Its bloody obvious that the cars are not handling anything like the old ones and some drivers are doing better than others in making them last on the tyre!