Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 21 Apr 2007, 12:37 (Ref:1896975)   #1
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Mirage JWA cars

I have just purchased the book on these fine race cars
"Driving in the rain" sadly fotos are B & W
The Mirage cars where nice looking machines
where are they now?

Harley Cluxton lll purchased the GR8 cars that had won LM in 75 and ran them as GTC team cars for 3 years with Renault and DFV motors
He had also ran 1x GR7 car in USA Can am race

The GR 8 from the Rosso Bianco museum was sold last year for big ££
I believe only 2 cars raced and 1 mock up show car was built up for Gulf promos after winning LM in 75

I see GR6 for sale with Hall n Hall and GR7 was running with Chris McAllister in USA events ( i thought a GR7 car was for sale last year)

I have watched the 1972 Sports car season DVD Speed masters and the JWA Mirage is heavily featured at the Sebring 12 hour race

GTC built a Group C car for the Andrettis to race at LM in 1980 but it was not allowed to start due to a minor dimension infringement and that was the death knell for Harley`s race team

anyone out there have more info or fotos?
Old 21 Apr 2007, 14:37 (Ref:1897031)   #2
driftwood
Veteran

see this website for some more info
www.gtc-mirage.com/NewFiles/competition.html
Old 24 Apr 2008, 13:07 (Ref:2185751)   #3
Robert Bruce
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sutton, Surrey
Robert Bruce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mirage M2

I can remember going to see a pair of Mirage M2's (BRM engines I believe??) in a lockup somewhere in London when I was a very young boy, probably about 1970. The racing team my father was involved with was looking to buy them both. They came pretty close to a deal but not quite, wouldn't know why. I can remember climbing around in the cockpit of one of them, they were still in the fantastic Gulf colours. I have so little info about them and it wouldn't surprise me if they were the only two actually built.

Last time I saw one was in the late seventies when a car appeared in a local service station close to where we lived. Gulf was doing some sort of promotion and the car was part of it, I don't know if it was running or not.

Anyone have any idea of their whereabouts?

Robert
Old 24 Apr 2008, 17:17 (Ref:2185891)   #4
driftwood
Veteran

the car you saw in late 70`s was the LM winning show car that toured the UK in Gulf livery after derek and jacky won LM for GTC team in the GR8 car
i recall seeing teh car down on south coast
i have just read Johns Horsmans JWA Mirage book =great reading
the show car is also mentioned in teh book as will the whereabouts of the london garage you sat in the M2