Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 8 Jan 2019, 19:38 (Ref:3874793)   #351
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Bob, I wonder if someone here can play a "78 tours" vinyl on his computer! OK, it cost nothing to try though… I SAY, CHANGE THE NEEDLE AND TURN THE CRANK, PLEASE!
Old 8 Jan 2019, 20:18 (Ref:3874799)   #352
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
John, the first country I saw this kind of thing is Spain and it works fine there together with the automatic control of the toll gates.

It will be probably useless for people here, but you must know that our roads have now a limited speed of 80 kph, some parts being still 90 kph as were before… I gave up with this, and sticks to 80…*Modern world hein?
For the sake of your sanity you really need to avoid the road from Hesdin to Arras. It now fluctuates between 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 & 110 limits & there are more cameras than you can shake a stick at. They are of different generations too, so various different shapes. It does your head in trying to remember which limit you are in.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 20:34 (Ref:3874801)   #353
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Bob, I wonder if someone here can play a "78 tours" vinyl on his computer! OK, it cost nothing to try though… I SAY, CHANGE THE NEEDLE AND TURN THE CRANK, PLEASE!
Mon ami, I can indeed play vinyl on my computer.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 21:01 (Ref:3874808)   #354
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
For the sake of your sanity you really need to avoid the road from Hesdin to Arras.
Yes, many things are turning people mad here. Violence brings violence but there is no excuse for this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFM10fF1Wws

They wonder why many radars are damaged if not destroyed. Really? When the first automatic radar was introduced, Sarko-the-dwarf was in charge, I thing ministry of interior or finances. During the press conference I had to ask four times the same question: "Is it your priority to install them on notoriously dangerous places?" He had a smile/grin and answered smoothly "we gonna make money first…"
Have you any idea of how many users are driving either without licence or a voided licence meaning no insurance, here?
Old 8 Jan 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3874809)   #355
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Mon ami, I can indeed play vinyl on my computer.
A compuwhat? You're wearing a vinyl panty when typing
Old 8 Jan 2019, 21:21 (Ref:3874813)   #356
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, many things are turning people mad here. Violence brings violence but there is no excuse for this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFM10fF1Wws

They wonder why many radars are damaged if not destroyed. Really? When the first automatic radar was introduced, Sarko-the-dwarf was in charge, I thing ministry of interior or finances. During the press conference I had to ask four times the same question: "Is it your priority to install them on notoriously dangerous places?" He had a smile/grin and answered smoothly "we gonna make money first…"
Have you any idea of how many users are driving either without licence or a voided licence meaning no insurance, here?
Their fighting people who have nothing really to do with a problem!
Old 8 Jan 2019, 23:02 (Ref:3874825)   #357
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
The son of one of my Alfa mates is responsible for the production of the Demon Tweeks catalogue......apparently he's pretty much unobtainable for most of the Autumn while he's compiling it......not surprising giving the hearty thud it always makes when arriving through my letterbox

As Wrexham is within an hour or so's driving distance of us we normally visit for any requirements, but fairly often not everything is in stock, but we do generally find that subsequent supply through the post is usually pretty prompt
I still get 3 DT catalogues, usually arriving on the same day.
Have tried ringing up to cancel 2 but it seems to be someone else's fault rather than DTs. Must cost them a fortune.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 23:12 (Ref:3874828)   #358
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Were there any vinyl 78s?
Old 8 Jan 2019, 23:23 (Ref:3874830)   #359
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
There's a fairly new trick here to use light-controlled pedestrian crossings in villages as a form of traffic calming. If they detect you are over the limit the lights go red. Irritating, but marginally better than having to clamber over sleeping policemen. Clearly not designed with pedestrians in mind either, as they can be red from one direction and green the other.
John, this story reminds me of a suggestion I heard many years ago. The story was that, like Sweden, it was decided that Ireland would change from driving on the left hand side of the road to drive on the right, to bring them in line with other countries. However, unlike Sweden who brought in the change overnight, it was suggested that Ireland would phase the change in gradually to avoid confusion!
Old 8 Jan 2019, 23:30 (Ref:3874831)   #360
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just for our Viva.GT Viv you might enjoy the first verse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTUlNDhdSGU
Very thoughtful Baub (and the first time you've ever used my full user name, I always knew I was in trouble when my Mum used my full name!). The difference in my case is that the baker is married to me...
Old 9 Jan 2019, 03:30 (Ref:3874871)   #361
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
John, this story reminds me of a suggestion I heard many years ago. The story was that, like Sweden, it was decided that Ireland would change from driving on the left hand side of the road to drive on the right, to bring them in line with other countries. However, unlike Sweden who brought in the change overnight, it was suggested that Ireland would phase the change in gradually to avoid confusion!

Trucks first to change over as I recall ....
Old 9 Jan 2019, 05:27 (Ref:3874880)   #362
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Guys……… as someone say We got a serious question from Grant, were the 78rpm vinyl made? Wont make more research this week, because a) I'm so exited by the panty story b) I have to swallow tales from our gov' c) I'd rather starving for info…

First vinyl, record not panty, around 1949, first record 1887.

Gérard, not listening his master's voice…
Old 9 Jan 2019, 05:39 (Ref:3874881)   #363
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
John…… it was suggested that Ireland would phase the change in gradually to avoid confusion!
Good idea, should be experienced elsewhere… Wiki tell you that Östereich changed the trafic side in no more than five steps! Other exception, Okinawa island had to change two or three times depending on "who's the boss", Japanese or American… Do they all have driving school cars since?
Old 9 Jan 2019, 06:33 (Ref:3874885)   #364
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Guys……… as someone say We got a serious question from Grant, were the 78rpm vinyl made? Wont make more research this week, because a) I'm so exited by the panty story b) I have to swallow tales from our gov' c) I'd rather starving for info…

First vinyl, record not panty, around 1949, first record 1887.

Gérard, not listening his master's voice…
78's were never massed produced in vinyl, by which I mean 'pop' records, but a number were made, and sold by various record companies, of classical music.

They were never common place, but did exist. Now as to panties …….
Old 9 Jan 2019, 06:36 (Ref:3874886)   #365
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
During the last drought they closed two lanes of their swimming pools.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 06:37 (Ref:3874887)   #366
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Very thoughtful Baub (and the first time you've ever used my full user name, I always knew I was in trouble when my Mum used my full name!). The difference in my case is that the baker is married to me...
Did you run away with her, GT?
Old 9 Jan 2019, 07:22 (Ref:3874888)   #367
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I thought the plan was to change over cars & lorries on different days - or maybe they already have.

Should have read all the way down before posting - I see Grant got their first - sorry.

Last edited by John Elwin; 9 Jan 2019 at 07:24. Reason: Update
Old 9 Jan 2019, 07:30 (Ref:3874889)   #368
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I see the drones are back. Just like the daleks. Heathrow this time.
I find it amazing that technology for 'prevention' still hasn't been installed, and instead, 'after the event' the military are called in- complete with helicopters.....
Old 9 Jan 2019, 07:59 (Ref:3874899)   #369
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Did you run away with her, GT?
Run? At my age?
Old 9 Jan 2019, 08:04 (Ref:3874900)   #370
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Now as to panties …….
Wait a bit, Bob, I'm so glad to hear that there are many fans of those things here! May be we'll find that some NOS has been sent to another country and rebranded Cheeky Panty! You never know…
Cant believe "our" Viva married Valérie though…
Old 9 Jan 2019, 09:50 (Ref:3874915)   #371
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Wait a bit, Bob, I'm so glad to hear that there are many fans of those things here! May be we'll find that some NOS has been sent to another country and rebranded Cheeky Panty! You never know…
Cant believe "our" Viva married Valérie though…

Must have been the size of her pies that caught his eyes, Gerard.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 10:27 (Ref:3874921)   #372
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
[/B]Must have been the size of her pies that caught his eyes, Gerard.

Mind you, may be she's baking something special for you like Basbousa, Turkish semolina cake, Burki, Spice errant,Burfi or Halfa also called "caca d'Alger"! With one of those in your dish, you will be able to socialize with your neighbors! Or not… Make a picture!
Old 9 Jan 2019, 11:06 (Ref:3874923)   #373
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Hey Bob, I know you're pretty much modern, using a computer able to play vinyls… I noticed this morning that we can edit our profile if our date of birth has changed (contact admin')… What about the gender? May be you'll have to make a "minor" change in April…
Old 9 Jan 2019, 11:43 (Ref:3874927)   #374
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I find it amazing that technology for 'prevention' still hasn't been installed, and instead, 'after the event' the military are called in- complete with helicopters.....

This is getting a little like the rare "Crested Newt" seen near a construction development - especially motorways iirc - that delays the project for an extended period whilst people try to find one.

I'm not sure there is technology for prevention - at least none that does not also prevent a lot of other things. That said the Gatwick reports I read suggested that it was the only major airport in the UK that did not already have anti-drone facilities in place. Presumably that was not entirely accurate.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 12:07 (Ref:3874929)   #375
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
This is getting a little like the rare "Crested Newt" seen near a construction development - especially motorways iirc - that delays the project for an extended period whilst people try to find one.

I'm not sure there is technology for prevention - at least none that does not also prevent a lot of other things. That said the Gatwick reports I read suggested that it was the only major airport in the UK that did not already have anti-drone facilities in place. Presumably that was not entirely accurate.
I just logged in to post that it occurred to me that there is so much disinformation that is generated nowadays - or maybe it has always been the case, but I, or possibly we, never appreciated the fact in times gone by. The reason that I was going to post my comments was because I recall statements put out at the time of the Gatwick drone closure.

At that time before Christmas, a statement or two were released that gave the distinct impression that Heathrow and other major airports had already installed measures that ensured that the airports would not be closed down because of nearby drone movements. And furthermore, it was "revealed" that Gatwick had not installed these measures, and it was implied that the reason was due to cost.

Yet here we are just over two weeks later, and Heathrow is the airport closed - OK, only for an hour this time - but they still have had to call in the military who do have the equipment/technology to control the airspace around the airport.

It makes you wonder what you can actually believe, and that seemingly applies to all forms of media and all the various media outlets.
Closed Thread