Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:05 (Ref:645975)   #1
ferrari_mark
Rookie

ferrari_mark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good win for Ralf Schumacher

Not only did he pas MS at the start, he out classed JPM all weekend and was carrying a lot more fuel than anyone else and managed to qualify third and run at a very good pace all race.

Good drive
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:07 (Ref:645980)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hardly a "pass" by Ralf at the start as it was simply a case of having more traction, but it was a great calculated Ralf drive.

JPM was great as well, but lost out from his slower first stint, Martin Brundel disagreed with your assessment that Ralf out classed him however ferrari_mark.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:10 (Ref:645990)   #3
ferrari_mark
Rookie

Well he was quicker all weekend. I'm not saying JPM was slow...he dropped a place at the start which held him up a bit. I'm just saying that on this occassion RS was better.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:10 (Ref:645992)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Hardly a "pass" by Ralf at the start as it was simply a case of having more traction, but it was a great calculated Ralf drive.

JPM was great as well, but lost out from his slower first stint, Martin Brundel disagreed with your assessment that Ralf out classed him however ferrari_mark.
Come on Damon admit it. He outclassed his team mate and put one over on his brother. Why the sour grapes? He did exactly what he was supposed to do and carrying more fuel than JPM he put 18 that's EIGHTEEN seconds between them.

If it was the other way round you wouldn't stop crowing about it.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:11 (Ref:645995)   #5
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RS did what he does well. He is as fast as anyone when he is not in a fight. If he is in a fight the expect mistakes or him staying back. That said, he was faster than JPM and did well to keep the car ahead. Good job. Better job for Michelin and even better for Williams!!
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:13 (Ref:645997)   #6
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Schu dropped a place at the start as well, as did everyone on the dirty side of the track. Funny that . JPM did well to consolidate his position in the first two corners by keeping ahead of the Renaults. Ralf was quicker today though, although JPM made sure he was a talking point by reminding us fans why we follow him.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:16 (Ref:646003)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Come on Damon admit it. He outclassed his team mate and put one over on his brother.
No sour grapes here Peter, to quote myself "it was a great calculated Ralf drive". He'll win all the races you give him when the person in the lead drops out. It was a thoughly deserved and well earn't victory. He was fast when he needed to be and backed off when he had to as well, great stuff. But he didn't have to pass anyone to do it.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:17 (Ref:646005)   #8
ferrari_mark
Rookie

I know he was on the dirty side. That's what I meant...that he was unlucky. But RS deserved to be on the clean side of the race track. He out qualified JPM even though he had more fuel.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:18 (Ref:646008)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well deserved win by Ralf!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:18 (Ref:646009)   #10
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Yes, you're right ferrari_mark, I pointed that out myself.

Last edited by Damon; 29 Jun 2003 at 14:19.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:21 (Ref:646014)   #11
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rakkionen's misfortune is Ralf's gain. The BMW guys are popping champaigne in Germany while the Merc guys are in disdain over their cars being out of the race.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:21 (Ref:646015)   #12
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact that he got 4 laps on M Schu and Kimi, showed how good the qualifying lap has been.

When you think about how at sea he looked in qualifying in the first few faces, he seems to have really got that together.

Still Williams have really closed on Ferrari in the constructors championship now.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:22 (Ref:646019)   #13
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf didn't pass Michael. The Williams launch control passed the Ferrari launch control.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:17 (Ref:646109)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hand me some of that humble pie!

Superb job by Ralf. 5% lucky that Kimi dropped out but he was faster than anyone all race and beat JPM fair and square this time around.

I think some of these JPM fans needs to come to their senses. Your man was outdriven today!

(Best drive goes to Heidfeld though - 20th to 8th! )
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:17 (Ref:646110)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don;t really give ralf any credit for passing Michael, but he did a good job with the situation he had. All the same, that situationwas a guaranteed win by halfway through. Still, his qualifying lap was what really won him the race, and would've earnt him pole had they gone for hte same level of fuel as Kimi and Michael.

Both Williams drivers were spectacular today and it's hard to choose between them. Ralf wouldn't've tried, let alone pulled off, Montoya's overtaking move, but Montoya wasn't fast enough to be ahead of Ralf on the grid, thereby taking the race a little out of his own hands.

Only 5% lucky? You've gotta be kidding, it was total luck. Otherwise he would've just got second,a nd we'd all be more grateful to Montoya for challenging Michael into a mistake.

Last edited by BootsOntheSide; 29 Jun 2003 at 15:20.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:20 (Ref:646116)   #16
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
That's a good sumation Boots, JPM was spectacular but yes Ralf did better today. These things have to happen occasionally .
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:23 (Ref:646121)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was pretty typical for Ralf's better races. Good pace, no mistakes... Set the car up well, qualified well, got a good start and never looked back. He wouldn't have caught Kimi in a million years, though.

It's a track there Juan's weak, he just can't seem to get the rythym of the place.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:25 (Ref:646126)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't call 2nd place weak Lee!

That move was sensational too. Love it when he pulls one on TGF!
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:37 (Ref:646146)   #19
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course Ralf was better than JPM today. In fact, he was better yesterday too, when he outqualified him with a heavier fuel load. But outclassed??? Come on. It was 16.8 seconds in the end. A good, solid win, but he hardly outclassed his team mate. And I feel sorry for Kimi. He most probably would have won had his engine not blown.

Btw, Peter, did you see Montoya congratulating Ralf on the podium? A very sporting thing to do, don't you think?
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:38 (Ref:646147)   #20
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
I don;t really give ralf any credit for passing Michael
Shock horror.

C'mon people, gloating rights for the Ralf fans today. His qualifying was good at the time, but carrying more fuel than anybody else it turned out to be even better. He was better than Montoya in the race, regardless of the fact that Montoya passed TGF - Ralf didn't need to because he was already in front of him. Yeah, he capitalised on Raikkonen's bad luck, but that's F1 - you take your chances when you get them. Credit where it's due!

Much closer in the championship now, thanks to Williams getting their act together and making that car faster.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:43 (Ref:646153)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In qualfiying, Ralf was better, no doubt about it, by some margin. But on raceday Montoya was more impressive. That Ralf was 2nd and Montoya 5th on the first lap was purely down to the clean/dirty sides of the grid - an ageold problem that's never been resolved.

If they'd've got away thrid and fourth in grid order, Ralf would've been behind Michael, Montoay wouldn't've had to negotiate Rubens, so could've found himself in front of Ralf after the first roundof pitstops, allowing him to pass Michael for what would've been the win. Meanwhile Ralf wouuld've no doubt sat behind Michael for 60 laps, like the good little brotehr he is.

Ralf did a great drive, but, once again, he's lucky.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:43 (Ref:646155)   #22
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
gloating rights for the Ralf fans today.
I agree. Congratulations to all Ralf fans, from a Montoya fan. Let's have a high five, like they did on the podium.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:44 (Ref:646157)   #23
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Absolutely right, credit where it's due, but even you're not going to chalk that down as an example of a Ralf overtaking move are you RG?
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:50 (Ref:646164)   #24
R
Veteran

Quote:
But on raceday Montoya was more impressive.
Err, no he wasn't.

Quote:
That Ralf was 2nd and Montoya 5th on the first lap was purely down to the clean/dirty sides of the grid
Which was down to Ralf outqualifying Montoya in the first place!

Quote:
If they'd've got away thrid and fourth in grid order, Ralf would've been behind Michael, Montoay wouldn't've had to negotiate Rubens, so could've found himself in front of Ralf after the first roundof pitstops, allowing him to pass Michael for what would've been the win. Meanwhile Ralf wouuld've no doubt sat behind Michael for 60 laps, like the good little brotehr he is.
I hope you are joking here. That's more "could've" and "would've" than we Montoya fans have ever been accused for, even by the most ardent Ralf fans!

Last edited by R; 29 Jun 2003 at 15:52.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:54 (Ref:646171)   #25
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Absolutely right, credit where it's due, but even you're not going to chalk that down as an example of a Ralf overtaking move are you RG?
I think it was an example of Ralf doing what he had to do and getting past TGF with a minimum of fuss. If you're out at the front to begin with then you don't need to stress about overtaking moves, you just drive your race. But given that last time Ralf tried to pass Michael at the start of the European GP he was almost barged into the pitwall he did well not to be more conservative.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'