Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Apr 2004, 10:15 (Ref:932040)   #1
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli consistant

Is it my imagination or has Jarno Trulli raised his game this year? I'm not saying he's setting the world alight but he's racing fairly hard and consistantly and scored points in all 3 races which is an improvement over previous years. On his performances thus far I'd say he deserves to keep his seat next year and I'm surprised to hear myself saying that.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 10:21 (Ref:932046)   #2
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has at last looked reasonable in races, I think. I'd agree with you, and I'm surprised too, because I'm no Trulli supporter.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 10:32 (Ref:932057)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Amazing what a better car does for a driver, isn't it!
Old 6 Apr 2004, 10:37 (Ref:932062)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are still some signs of his old lack of consistancy though, particularly in the crucial laps around pitstops. he's lost out to Jenson Button in both the last 2 races under those circumstances, and seemecd to drift off a little in Australia. Renault's launch control coupled with Alonso's shaky last two races have flattered him a little as well, as has Renault' improvement KB mentions.

All the same, he's been pretty useful on racedays this year, and looks likely to have his most productive season. More podiums may follow, especially if we get some hot races.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 12:05 (Ref:932154)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't agree 100% with most opinions: he's just being a bit luckier than he was in tha past, but, still like in the past, and unlike his teammate, he doesn't seem able to get the super performance.
Often faster than Alonso in quals, but never on pole; often better placed than hi teammate, but never winning.
Of course, as an Italian I wish he could defeat this doomed profile, but, from what I could see in the first three races, there's no much room for reasonable hopes.
Old 7 Apr 2004, 02:00 (Ref:932960)   #6
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Consistency has been Trulli's downfall in past season's but so far this year he's been consistent, hopefully he can keeping it going for the whole year.
Old 7 Apr 2004, 06:36 (Ref:933044)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Must say that i've been more impressed with Trulli than i have with Alonso so far this season.

Last edited by Mr V; 7 Apr 2004 at 06:37.
Old 7 Apr 2004, 07:22 (Ref:933070)   #8
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree V - Alonso has made some crucial mistakes which have cost him potential podiums (not that I'm disaapointed Jense got them!).

Perhaps FA doing worse may make Jarno look a tad better?

It has to be said that despite poor 'quallies' Alonso has pulled it back to get in the points - which shows skill!

Whatever, Renault have now got an interesting season with BAR doing so well.

They are going to have to compete well to keep thier 4th spot - unless the black and white lemon fails to get sorted.

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 7 Apr 2004 at 07:25.
Old 7 Apr 2004, 22:07 (Ref:933895)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce

It has to be said that despite poor 'quallies' Alonso has pulled it back to get in the points - which shows skill!

Something that Trulli has also shown just recently, Japan 03 springs to mind.

I don't think that Jarnos ever going to set the F1 world alight, but he does seem to be improving and getting the job done. Would be ironic if he gets it together in (possibly) his last season at Renault.
Old 8 Apr 2004, 01:01 (Ref:933969)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its a good start and i remain optimistic that the first win is around the corner. (Though less optimistic than i had been considering the red cars' pace)
Old 8 Apr 2004, 09:13 (Ref:934167)   #11
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've rated Trulli highly for a few years now, don't think I'm saying he's the best in F1 , I'm not.

But I have always thought, and still do, that he's a better driver than Button.

I think an amazing car from BAR are making some very good drives from Button look like some Great drives from Button.
(I'm sure I'll pay for saying that)

Trulli has proven in the past he's got speed, the big criticism has been consistency and race day Vs qualifying performances.

That seems to be what he's concentrated on fixing and with every solid performance he puts in the more his confidence will grow.

Fernando is everybody's favourite in the team, but I think that if he had a lower profile team mate more people would be talking about him.

P.S. I'm not picking on Jenson, the boy done good.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 06:54 (Ref:934995)   #12
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
And for Trulli to keep his car in the points and improving from his quali position also shows skill. Hopefully Trulli will stay. Or be the first Italian in a Ferrari since Ivan Capelli.....
Old 11 Apr 2004, 20:31 (Ref:936715)   #13
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not too sure if Ferrari would be willing to put up with his falling asleep in the middle of races.
Old 12 Apr 2004, 09:25 (Ref:937140)   #14
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An interesting thought though.

If he had have been Alonso-ish in age and potential I bet the Italians would have drooled and snapped him up to drive the old red 'horse carts'
Old 12 Apr 2004, 12:21 (Ref:937266)   #15
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes he's consistant

Whenever michael wants to pass him he jumps out the way -as he allways has
Old 12 Apr 2004, 12:56 (Ref:937279)   #16
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Joking aside - I think he is looking better at this stage of the new season than he did at the same point last year - when Alonso outshone him.

I agree with some here that his time at Renault is limited - the question is - who will be next - I still reckon Montagny has a fair chance to get a Frenchman driving for them.

Even though FA is managed by Flav, they will need to watch out though as he is destined to go elsewhere and they could end up in a couple of years with a big gap.

And, by that time not only BAR, but also Toyota will be up there with them and competing for signing the 'big lads'.

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 12 Apr 2004 at 12:58.
Old 12 Apr 2004, 15:54 (Ref:937361)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Skam85
the first Italian in a Ferrari since Ivan Capelli
Nicola Larini's been in a Ferrari since Ivan Capelli
Old 12 Apr 2004, 16:35 (Ref:937395)   #18
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Amazing what a better car does for a driver, isn't it!
Amazing what a rubbish car does for a driver as well:- see McLaren.
Old 12 Apr 2004, 23:36 (Ref:937735)   #19
LindaC
Rookie

LindaC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
Yes he's consistant

Whenever michael wants to pass him he jumps out the way -as he allways has

Examples please.

Don't bother with Bahrain, Michael coming out of the pit stop. Even Martin Brundle acknowledged that Trulli wasn't racing Michael that day, so no point in risking putting them both off the track at that stage of the race.

Apart from that they've hardly ever been racing each other as equals. And when they were in a similar position on track last year and Michael was behind, Jarno usually beat Michael. He sure made a good fight of keeping the Ferrari behind at Hockenheim with a difficult car, until Michael illegally passed him by using the tarmac.

Jarno never lets drivers past easily when he is fighting for position. There are several drivers you could ask apart from Michael....Montoya, Coulthard, Barrichello, Ralf (OK, you can't really go by Ralf, but he has often had the faster car). Yet another myth about Jarno.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 01:14 (Ref:937788)   #20
RWC
Veteran

" until Michael illegally passed him by using the tarmac"

...and then when the tarmac ran out and michael was still slightly behind trulli but off the track,trulli simply let him back on
how pathetic

Look i like the guy but he just hasn't got what it takes to stand up to bullies.Ditto for ralf
Old 13 Apr 2004, 12:41 (Ref:938248)   #21
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So far this season Jarno has been more consistant than Alsono (who I feel was over-hyped a touch last season), but generally slower. His mid-race pace doesn't seem any better, and he's never been a crasher, so that's not progress.

I really haven't chanceed my view of him as a good but unspectacular talent who will need a lucky day to win races, and really needs to prove that the deserves a top seat this season, considering that Webber and Montagny are banging on the Renault door, and Bourdais can't be ruled out.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 20:28 (Ref:938739)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by LindaC

Jarno never lets drivers past easily when he is fighting for position. There are several drivers you could ask apart from Michael....Montoya,
Imola 2001? Montoya all around the outside of Villeneuve

Although, sometimes its hard to work out if a driver has made it easier, or Montoyas doing his usual balls out overtaking
Old 13 Apr 2004, 22:35 (Ref:938878)   #23
RWC
Veteran

And i agree that trulli is doing well this year so far....but i must admit that i can't see it continuing.
I'd be very happy to be wrong about him
Old 13 Apr 2004, 23:42 (Ref:938914)   #24
LindaC
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
" until Michael illegally passed him by using the tarmac"

...and then when the tarmac ran out and michael was still slightly behind trulli but off the track,trulli simply let him back on
how pathetic

Look i like the guy but he just hasn't got what it takes to stand up to bullies.Ditto for ralf

You may consider it pathetic, but it had been discussed in the drivers' briefing and drivers had been told not to use the tarmac to overtake or penalties could ensue. Trulli expected Michael to concede the place, because that's what he would have done, being a true sportsman. The stewards allowed the pass to stand. Michael was lucky.

Blimey, even journalist Nigel Roebuck thinks Trulli has been 'combative' this year. I think he's showed he won't be pushed around. How come you've missed it?
Old 13 Apr 2004, 23:44 (Ref:938915)   #25
LindaC
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Imola 2001? Montoya all around the outside of Villeneuve

Although, sometimes its hard to work out if a driver has made it easier, or Montoyas doing his usual balls out overtaking
Is that the only instance you can think of?

And all that time ago?