Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 21 Dec 2019, 18:09 (Ref:3947905)   #6201
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
New Profile Picture

OK, so what I should have changed is my avatar!
I need a bit more time for this as when I re-size the image to the correct size it just becomes pixelated. Please see the picture & sentiments below.
Click image for larger version

Name:	VivaGT Christmas.png
Views:	19
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	55634
Old 21 Dec 2019, 19:43 (Ref:3947912)   #6202
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What a nice sentiment Viv, and I only wish I had taken the picture.
Old 22 Dec 2019, 06:27 (Ref:3947991)   #6203
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I only wish I had taken the picture
Impossible, unfortunately, you dont have any picture of an Avenger… Or is it a Marina? Slightly disappointed Viva GT didn't go for a droop snoot of any kind!
Old 22 Dec 2019, 07:05 (Ref:3947995)   #6204
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Impossible, unfortunately, you dont have any picture of an Avenger… Or is it a Marina? Slightly disappointed Viva GT didn't go for a droop snoot of any kind!
I expect Viv went for that because the car in the pic is a Viva GT, the droop snoot was a Firenza....
Old 22 Dec 2019, 09:54 (Ref:3948008)   #6205
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For the first time for ages I'm not at a race track of any kind on a Sunday. Is this what Normal People do? God it's boring, may have to drop down the workshop for a while, there's a couple of jobs need doing....

Oh wait, just been reminded I have to go shopping for Mrs MM's Christmas present. :badmood: I hate shopping. Then there's talk of going out to a cafe in Avebury because "it's lovely and Christmassy."

Tidings of comfort and joy to you all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 22 Dec 2019, 10:01 (Ref:3948009)   #6206
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I expect Viv went for that because the car in the pic is a Viva GT, the droop snoot was a Firenza....
Quite right Mike, the car in the picture really is a Viva GT (not just any old HB Viva). As well as the GT, I did also own a Droop Snoot Firenza back in the day, a car even rarer that the GT!
Old 22 Dec 2019, 10:05 (Ref:3948010)   #6207
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
For reference here is a (nowhere near as good) picture of my GT & matching Mini Se7en (but with my CCC Modsaloons number on it).
Click image for larger version

Name:	VivaGT&Mini7-01.png
Views:	10
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	55661
Old 22 Dec 2019, 10:31 (Ref:3948014)   #6208
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
For the first time for ages I'm not at a race track of any kind on a Sunday. Is this what Normal People do? God it's boring, may have to drop down the workshop for a while, there's a couple of jobs need doing....

Oh wait, just been reminded I have to go shopping for Mrs MM's Christmas present. :badmood: I hate shopping. Then there's talk of going out to a cafe in Avebury because "it's lovely and Christmassy."

Tidings of comfort and joy to you all.

Well I'm going to the workshop for a hour this morning. Then I'll be ringing the bells at the village carol service this evening.
Old 22 Dec 2019, 10:38 (Ref:3948015)   #6209
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
What kind of worskshop is it? I'm sure you'll enjoy ringing the bells later
Old 22 Dec 2019, 10:56 (Ref:3948022)   #6210
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Sunday before Xmas! Good luck Max with your shopping trip- I was in the city at 0800 this morning and left by 0930 before the shops opened. The centre car parks already had queues, and I decided to pop into the huge out-of-town Tesco for couple of routine non-Xmas food items. The car park was virtually full already.......

Was glad to get out and back home.
Old 22 Dec 2019, 11:11 (Ref:3948026)   #6211
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Sill in trouble with french humor, Mike?
Old 22 Dec 2019, 11:21 (Ref:3948027)   #6212
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It probably would be needed to be translated into English
Old 22 Dec 2019, 11:34 (Ref:3948030)   #6213
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yup
Old 22 Dec 2019, 12:03 (Ref:3948035)   #6214
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Let keep on training then…
Old 22 Dec 2019, 13:33 (Ref:3948044)   #6215
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sunday before Xmas! Good luck Max with your shopping trip- I was in the city at 0800 this morning and left by 0930 before the shops opened. The centre car parks already had queues, and I decided to pop into the huge out-of-town Tesco for couple of routine non-Xmas food items. The car park was virtually full already.......

Was glad to get out and back home.
It's Devizes, whilst busy it's hardly a "city"

Long queues in the car parks = about two minutes to get to the main road. And I was stuck behind a tractor and had to adhere to the 30 limit in Rowde on the way back.

Old 22 Dec 2019, 15:41 (Ref:3948065)   #6216
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Now now, Gerard, you should know the French don't understand humour!
Old 22 Dec 2019, 15:57 (Ref:3948066)   #6217
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A longer than usual pre-order collection queue at Screwfix around noon but not too bad as Tesco although the carpark was quite busy.

The store also busy but not as crammed as I thought it would be despite families of 4 meandering around when normally there would be only one person with their badly positioned trolley.

Kids, of course, have no concept of positioning for keeping the aisle traffic moving, even at an age when they might be let loose on the roads on their buikes.

Worrying.

Thinking of which, I know it was a very long time ago and in a relatively safe mainly residential area, but I was always out on my bike riding around the roads form about the age of 8. Maybe 9. Nightly trips (well, almost nightly) to the library to swap reading books - a lot of W. E. Johns at the time as I remember.

Being in Germany at the time the main roads had cycle paths. That may have helped.

And less traffic of course.

At what age did everyone else start to learn their road skills?
Old 22 Dec 2019, 16:12 (Ref:3948068)   #6218
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 22 Dec 2019, 18:02 (Ref:3948073)   #6219
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So as not to de-rail Baub’s pics thread-
I didn’t realise, when looking for a pic of Sir Stirling Moss and his Facel Vega HK500, that the last car they built, the Facel 6, used a 2.8 litre 6cyl engine with ‘Austin’ written on the valve cover! Wonder if that’s the reason only 30 were made..... I knew about the 4 cyl twin cam 1600cc Facellia, which was fatally flawed as the engine designer believed only two bearings were needed to support each cam. He was wrong. But again, I didn’t know the later cars were fitted instead with a Volvo B18 engine!

The Facel 6 is a lovely looking car though- https://www.classicargarage.com/gara...64-restoration

Last edited by Mike Bell; 22 Dec 2019 at 18:10.
Old 22 Dec 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3948077)   #6220
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
From my point of view, many Facel did look good. Not the prettiest of the range was the french answer to the Continental, the Excellence. One will be for sale at Rétromobile I think.
Remember the american influence was great at this time, Facel used to build bodies for Simca too (sorry for this brand, Mike!). Door to door, it becomes obvious, Continental/ Excellence and Simca Grand Carrosssier/ T Bird. See what I mean? Simca Grand carrossier is a variant of Plein Ciel coupé.

As on usual, you got it right Mike and you could add the gearbox to the Pont Ã* Mousson engine. But do you know why they were "driven" to use this engine? Yes, french government asked very firmly that those wonders to be 100 % french… At least one sample was ordered by a ministry, can't remember atm, have to check model and year. For the last hour owners, a bullet proof Volvo engine was a kind of guarantee but obviously it was too late.
I'm convinced you can find another picture taken same day same place, showing Sir Strirling Moss, Pat Moss and the UK importer this time.

Ministère de l'intérieur année 1955

Last edited by Gerard C; 22 Dec 2019 at 18:38. Reason: Ministère de l'intérieur année 1955
Old 22 Dec 2019, 18:35 (Ref:3948081)   #6221
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I count on EB to upload a pic of a very special body, seen in a TV series, called Les petits meurtres d'Agatha Christie. I dont recommend to watch but the cars casting is really good. The inspecteur principal drives a Facel.
http://www.facel-vega.asso.fr/tv/pet...smeurtres.html

May be John E knows what I'm talking about. Right, John?

Mike, could it be a Westminster engine?

Last edited by Gerard C; 22 Dec 2019 at 18:45.
Old 22 Dec 2019, 18:59 (Ref:3948082)   #6222
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I read somewhere that it was an Austin Healey engine, but it would have had that on the valve cover, so you’re probably right.

Found this interesting info on the Facellia, and one special car. Only thing that doesn’t ring true is the suggestion that the Pont Ã* Mousson engine problem was that it only had 2 bearings for the crankshaft, not the camshafts. Two bearing crank- I doubt it!

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car...ia/1960/656222
Old 22 Dec 2019, 19:08 (Ref:3948084)   #6223
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Me too! I read the Facellia was first released at Musée Jacqmart-André introduced by Sir Stirling Moss on the 28th September 1959.
Old 22 Dec 2019, 19:17 (Ref:3948086)   #6224
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Around 1000 samples were sold with the first version of this engine before modifications. The gearbox, brakes and Salisbury rear axle had a very strong reputation of reliability. The first ones suffered overheating, timing gear of course, carburation and weak sleeves leading to an important oil consumption. All the mods were good but the good client service and many core exchange led to a difficult financial situation.
Old 22 Dec 2019, 21:22 (Ref:3948110)   #6225
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I count on EB to upload a pic of a very special body, seen in a TV series, called Les petits meurtres d'Agatha Christie. I dont recommend to watch but the cars casting is really good. The inspecteur principal drives a Facel.
http://www.facel-vega.asso.fr/tv/pet...smeurtres.html

May be John E knows what I'm talking about. Right, John?

Yes, I vaguely remember seeing that. Admittedly I'm not an expert on the marque even though the UK importers were in my old home town & we even have one in the family here although I've never seen it.
Closed Thread