Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Feb 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3884481)   #1
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TSL Timing for HSCC races

Some news:

TSL Timing is taken over thr Motorsport timing side of MST Timing which does the HSCC live timing and results.

More info on website.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 06:20 (Ref:3884548)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
TSL Timing for HSCC races

As reported by Will......

Reported on MST website http://www.mstworld.com/motorsport
Old 16 Feb 2019, 09:27 (Ref:3884562)   #3
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a surprising move really. By the time I finished with timekeeping (mainly for TSL and occasionally MST) I think the only motorsport series that MST had was HSCC. Nick Palmer mentioned in the press release used to be a TSL timekeeper as well so there's a natural fit there.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 09:38 (Ref:3884566)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, logical thing to happen, and means old codgers like me don’t get confused by having two different timing providers in the UK!
Old 16 Feb 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3884582)   #5
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Hmmmmm monopolies are rarely good for the customers.......
Old 16 Feb 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3884605)   #6
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are still a few smaller outfits in the UK (e.g. HS Sports do the VSCC) but TSL have probably been the biggest in this country for a few years. Adding the HSCC is probably a natural extension.

Still a fair bit of competition for them on the continent, although I think they've secured some series in the States and Asia in recent years.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 14:24 (Ref:3884610)   #7
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder what will happen to the Archived results with internet access?

HSCC to manage them?
Old 16 Feb 2019, 16:50 (Ref:3884627)   #8
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Good question indeed. I just can tell about our "market", we lost many old results. What is puzzling is that the system used here is supposed to work with any transponder but only one is recognized. In "addition" if you race in France and with a well known French organiser operating in Europ, you need two different transponders. Costs + electric hassle doesn't mean cost reduction! Next time, I'll put mine on a sliding rail worth one lap of three!
Can someone tell me what kind of transponder are used at Summer Classic, please?
Old 16 Feb 2019, 17:33 (Ref:3884634)   #9
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

HSCC to manage them?
I suspect it will be easy enough to transfer the results across. The PDF output was pretty similar in any case. If I recall correctly TSL was formed years ago by some of the MST staff (directors?) who split away to form their own company - TSL. A case of coming full circle to some extent.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 17:43 (Ref:3884637)   #10
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Can someone tell me what kind of transponder are used at Summer Classic, please?
AMB/MyLaps in use there for many years. Not aware of any change for 2019.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 17:51 (Ref:3884641)   #11
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Merci, monsieur Ledwidge.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 18:50 (Ref:3884654)   #12
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The HSCC already have a results archive as far back as 2004 .( Go to 'Results' on their website ) .
Old 16 Feb 2019, 19:21 (Ref:3884661)   #13
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
TSL appear to have already transferred the HSCC meetings on to their website although at the moment they carry the message ' Sorry,there currently is no data for this event ' suggesting that the results will be transferred to TSL sometime in the future . ( Back to 2002 )
Old 17 Feb 2019, 00:30 (Ref:3884710)   #14
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I suspect it will be easy enough to transfer the results across. The PDF output was pretty similar in any case. If I recall correctly TSL was formed years ago by some of the MST staff (directors?) who split away to form their own company - TSL. A case of coming full circle to some extent.
There have been some format changes over the years - especially recently.

It's reasonable to expect that the people running the show would want to have the archive but such things are not always considered.

However, yes my understanding that TSL and MST had common origins is much the same as yours so hopefully everything will be transferred as appropriate.

I'm not sure whether HSCC has their own on-line archive for recent years. It seemed to me that for the past 2 or 3 seasons they simply linked to the MST site. But I might be wrong.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 09:23 (Ref:3884759)   #15
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Checked again this morning MST are still displaying archived results back to 2010 , the HSCC from 2004 to 2018 while TSL have presumably started the process of transferring information across as HSCC meeting's now appear in their Diary section from seasons 2002 to 2008 , albeit with no information contained within them .

At the moment the HSCC don't appear in TSL's 'Results' section where you can search for results according to the organising club rather than the 'Diary' section where the meetings are in chronological order . The other issue of course is Live Timing but I'm fairly sure TSL do now offer Live Timing .
Old 17 Feb 2019, 09:55 (Ref:3884765)   #16
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
.... The other issue of course is Live Timing but I'm fairly sure TSL do now offer Live Timing .
Yes, they have done so for a number of years.

On some events the live timing also incorporates a 'tracking' system that shows vehicle locations on the circuit in graphical form. But I think that depends if the organisers have requested / paid for it.

If it's still the same process the system updates from the transponder signal as it passes the control line and any sectors that are provided and then 'guesstimates' the position between sectors based upon their lap times, then corrects any differences at the next sector and so on.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 12:40 (Ref:3884793)   #17
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Checked again this morning MST are still displaying archived results back to 2010 , the HSCC from 2004 to 2018 while TSL have presumably started the process of transferring information across as HSCC meeting's now appear in their Diary section from seasons 2002 to 2008 , albeit with no information contained within them .

At the moment the HSCC don't appear in TSL's 'Results' section where you can search for results according to the organising club rather than the 'Diary' section where the meetings are in chronological order . The other issue of course is Live Timing but I'm fairly sure TSL do now offer Live Timing .
They have done for years provide live timing.Along with commentary aswell.The layout mostly the same mabe a little clearer.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 14:23 (Ref:3884808)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes, as Gary said!
Old 17 Feb 2019, 17:37 (Ref:3884830)   #19
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having the timing screens on line is one modern development that is most welcome at historic events. It makes a huge difference to those like me who only stand and stare, particularly for keeping track of the longer races which I enjoy most. TSL do a great job and it transforms the experience. Now just need all tracks to have general wifi like Brands do
Old 17 Feb 2019, 18:14 (Ref:3884838)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Agree. The timing available at most meetings I attend nowadays is superb, in this country and across the channel, it’s all so far removed from 10 years ago.

As for WiFi, seems a lot of circuits have now ‘switched on’ to charging for the service, but with a good data package on an iPad we usually manage without.

That’s the other thing, our TV monitor doesn’t even get to the pit wall nowadays- so much easier with a larger screen tablet!
Old 17 Feb 2019, 18:48 (Ref:3884848)   #21
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Agree. The timing available at most meetings I attend nowadays is superb, in this country and across the channel, it’s all so far removed from 10 years ago.

As for WiFi, seems a lot of circuits have now ‘switched on’ to charging for the service, but with a good data package on an iPad we usually manage without.

That’s the other thing, our TV monitor doesn’t even get to the pit wall nowadays- so much easier with a larger screen tablet!
Just learnt to turn my phone into a personal hotspot so I can use my iPad without a connection! Even an old un can learn new tricks. Sometimes
Old 17 Feb 2019, 19:03 (Ref:3884854)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Just learnt to turn my phone into a personal hotspot so I can use my iPad without a connection! Even an old un can learn new tricks. Sometimes
Well done that man! Because I’m a cheapskate my phone contract doesn’t allow it to be used as a hotspot when out of UK, which was a pain, but when I complained I got a really good deal on big data for the tablet instead!
Old 17 Feb 2019, 20:01 (Ref:3884872)   #23
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Hmmmmm monopolies are rarely good for the customers.......
Sometimes it works. We have two systems in use in karting and they don't take compatible transponders. Pain in the derrière, double the cost for the same output. Alpha Timing is superb run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts, TAG is, well, the big monolith with the rubbish web site.

But I'd agree, timing is brilliant these days. We look at sector times and can compare our drivers in real time. Awesome.

Regarding WiFi, many kart tracks have it but it's normally rubbish in the outer paddock so we use my "all you can eat" hot spot.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 18 Feb 2019, 07:53 (Ref:3884957)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Does anyone know what's In a transponder? Can't be much . . . . Just struck me they they're bloody expensive, why not just use a mobile phones and gps, like Harry's lap timer does. It's far more detailed and accurate anyway.

Last edited by zefarelly; 18 Feb 2019 at 07:58.
Old 18 Feb 2019, 08:04 (Ref:3884959)   #25
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Pain in the derrière
But, but but, you speak french! Congratulations for the accent too.

What I see is that over the years we've been encouraged - if not obliged - to use Chronelec and/or Tag Heuer both working fine but if we go at Spa we will have to rent another type, same thing at PA events. Uniformisation?
Not sure wonders like Harry or V-Box are allowed in historic other than during free practice tho…