Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 13 Jun 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2711413)   #51
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i had a fab time on post 5, thanks to all the people involved.

A busy day for my marshals and I hope the driver of the swift that came to visit in the final was ok
Old 13 Jun 2010, 20:14 (Ref:2711425)   #52
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
enjoyed the coverage on TV. anything under lights has a certain atmosphere that daylight doesnt give. good racing, hard graft from the orange brigade and above all a great advert for club motorsport
Old 13 Jun 2010, 21:11 (Ref:2711475)   #53
BOY BLUNDER
Veteran

England
margate
BOY BLUNDER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well what a rx event that was,well done to everyone,that has been some of the best rx action i have seen for ages,well done to kev the rev,and everyone else who won their finals :-) and to see pat's and david's turbo's glowing through the vents on there bonnets was awesome.

BB....
Old 13 Jun 2010, 22:03 (Ref:2711512)   #54
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't watch anything other than 20 minutes Bert and that was the only part of it that stood out! I tuned back in three times in about 5 mins to see the firework bloke every time!! Thats enough for me not to go back Im afraid.

Mini final was very good.

Don't think much of this place, other than them never watering the track and one particular meeting taking over 7 hours!! Moneys worth I guess, but I am used to short oval 4 hours of jam packed entertainment.

I tend to be negative because as a paying punter (obviously not on this occasion other than SKY) I deserve the right to comment.

You dont like, dont read or comment, makes no odds to me! But expect a response if you do.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 22:16 (Ref:2711520)   #55
Darren Wilcox
Rookie

Darren Wilcox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Thoroughly enjoyed the day/night, a big thankyou to all the organisers for a well run day, the PA was a bit of a pain as were we were in the service area we could'nt here our races being called all day. It was all a bit of a rush for me, thankfully Martin Peters took the car for me and got it scrutinered as i could'nt leave work till 12 pm in Stokesley then had a mad dash to get there in time to sign on, not going to mention the average speed but it was a lot quicker than my little stockhatch car i can tell you that.

A few mistakes during the day firstly for me in first heat was not realising that you go when the start lights come on not having done the British championship for 14 years things seem to of gone all European only front row start allday aswell.

second heats all OK

Third heats great start, first section of loose Ben Cree half spun infront of me filled in the windscreen i couldnt see a thing ran wide nearly into the barriers and everyone drove back past me.

Won the B final without to many problems though my front wings seemed to of changed colour from when i started the race And finally finished 5th in the A final for 1600 stackhatch though i spent the last 2 laps of the race screaming in the car as i got cramp in both legs don't know what that was all about but i can tell you it was bloody painfull.

All in all a great fun day, big thanks again to all the marshalls you guys make the days for us to have all the fun.

Cheers Darren
Old 14 Jun 2010, 09:17 (Ref:2711742)   #56
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Didn't watch anything other than 20 minutes Bert and that was the only part of it that stood out! I tuned back in three times in about 5 mins to see the firework bloke every time!! Thats enough for me not to go back Im afraid.
With live TV there are going to be gaps that need filling (flexible gaps too so pre-canned items can't be dropped in easily), do you have any ideas what they could do here? More driver interviews? Run replays from earlier heats?

Quote:
I'll take that as a win

Quote:
Don't think much of this place, other than them never watering the track and one particular meeting taking over 7 hours!! Moneys worth I guess, but I am used to short oval 4 hours of jam packed entertainment.
Blyton as a venue is still developing, it just doesn't have the budget to put top level facilities in yet. It looks as though it has improved this year though so things are heading in the right direction. Things like watering the circuit though I'll agree - you'd have expected them to get that right. Rallycross still knocks the spots off most other meetings for the sheer number of races and quick turnaround.

Quote:
I tend to be negative because as a paying punter (obviously not on this occasion other than SKY) I deserve the right to comment.You dont like, dont read or comment, makes no odds to me! But expect a response if you do.
The right to a comment? Absolutely, I don't disagree with that and it's what makes this forum work - people with different opinions stating their case. It's just it's nice to hear some positives every now and again rather than just the bad stuff.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 09:46 (Ref:2711755)   #57
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately only got to see it on the telly but seemed like a really good meeting with some quality racing. Good to see Mad Mark having a good run & Simon Horton was looking more competitive too.

Didnt think the commentator was that bad but I agree Barry Lee should not be allowed anywhere near a microphone.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 10:05 (Ref:2711764)   #58
StockHatch782
Racer

StockHatch782 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Your life must be a whirlwind of excitement if you didn't have time to wait five minutes for that to finish. You could have made a cup of tea in that time and sat down to enjoy the racing.

Quote:
Yes, it was.

Quote:
Don't think much of this place, other than them never watering the track
You won't know this because you've commented without actually bothering to watch the coverage, but they watered the track loads of times on Saturday – the loose was in great condition every time I drove on it and when I was watching other races, too.

Quote:
and one particular meeting taking over 7 hours!! Moneys worth I guess, but I am used to short oval 4 hours of jam packed entertainment.
That's one of the best thing about rallycross – alongside the great action there's plenty of time to wander round the paddock looking at the cars and chatting to the drivers.

Quote:
I tend to be negative because as a paying punter (obviously not on this occasion other than SKY) I deserve the right to comment.
It isn't compulsory for comment to be criticism. Surely you can't think that it's only worth saying if it's negative?

Quote:
You dont like, dont read or comment, makes no odds to me! But expect a response if you do.
Fair enough, but have you given a thought to how your constant moaning reflects on the sport as a whole? I haven't got the impression anywhere in your last hundred posts that you acutally like rallycross, except for maybe a couple of weeks in the 1940s which you seemed to enjoy. I smashed my car to bits at the weekend and am now facing the prospect of not being able to race for the rest of the season, and I think I still enjoyed the event more than you did...
Old 14 Jun 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2711802)   #59
chasing cars
Racer

Well said Dave.
For years we have moaned about the lack of tv coverage for rallycross, now we have lots plus live coverage (who would have thought that a couple of years ago) & someone still moans. I think Motors do a great job, yes the commentary isnt always the best & Barry Lee is very annoying but at no time do I want to switch off & the live programme on saturday was a much more enjoyable experience than the England match that preceded it!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2711885)   #60
Larry Carter
Rookie

Larry Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey1 View Post
The racing was cracking.

The commentary was truly horrific. I do not understand why Barry Lee is still in their employ.

Really wish I had been there, but watching it live on the telly is the next best thing.
As someone who is a professional motorsport broadcaster and journalist, and who has commentated on a number of rallycross meetings, I'm loathed to criticise but I must say, Barry Lee was absolutely terrible...

I thought that at Mallory last year but this time, he was even worse.

For starters, do some basic research on the drivers and their cars and at least determine the sex of some of them (Paige Bellerby...). Drivers lead races, not cars, and even though you're a 'Ford' man, don't celebrate when a rival 'manufacturer' drops out, Oh, and since when has Steve Hill driven a Subaru...!

Next, especially a television commentator's job (as opposed to a circuit PA) is 'say what you see' - not to go off on tangents and to make wildy inaccurate statements and predictions (Haslam's car).

Thirdly, whilst it wasn't his fault, there were more drivers in the race than the leader(s) who were shown continually on camera so a definitive rundown at the end of the race (at least) would have helped.

The other commentator guy was fine, and Di Binks in the pits, with whom I have worked on a number of occasions, was professional enough, but again, seemed to know little about the cars/drivers so just asked the 'how was that' type questions.

The coverage was very good all things considered, just need someone who vaguely knows what they are talking about!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 13:24 (Ref:2711898)   #61
stuart107
Racer

England
Faversham
stuart107 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Carter View Post
As someone who is a professional motorsport broadcaster and journalist, and who has commentated on a number of rallycross meetings, I'm loathed to criticise but I must say, Barry Lee was absolutely terrible...

I thought that at Mallory last year but this time, he was even worse.

For starters, do some basic research on the drivers and their cars and at least determine the sex of some of them (Paige Bellerby...). Drivers lead races, not cars, and even though you're a 'Ford' man, don't celebrate when a rival 'manufacturer' drops out, Oh, and since when has Steve Hill driven a Subaru...!

Next, especially a television commentator's job (as opposed to a circuit PA) is 'say what you see' - not to go off on tangents and to make wildy inaccurate statements and predictions (Haslam's car).

Thirdly, whilst it wasn't his fault, there were more drivers in the race than the leader(s) who were shown continually on camera so a definitive rundown at the end of the race (at least) would have helped.

The other commentator guy was fine, and Di Binks in the pits, with whom I have worked on a number of occasions, was professional enough, but again, seemed to know little about the cars/drivers so just asked the 'how was that' type questions.

The coverage was very good all things considered, just need someone who vaguely knows what they are talking about!
Arthur Debenham & Larry Carter co-commentating!

The organisers really do need to listen to what people are saying about this. I had quite a few people watching on Saturday night and the have all now said how poor the commentary was. You can't fault Barry for his enthusiasm, but after all the hard work that Amy & Co has done to raise the profile of the MSA British Rallycross Championship, surely they need a well informed rallycross commentator to portray the ins & outs of the sport to the average Joe, that is perhaps finding the sport for the first time.

Please please please give Arthur & 'Scoop' a go and watch the response get much more positive!!

I've not watched all the coverage yet (only the MSA Super Modified ) but I may have to watch it with sound turned down!!

Last edited by stuart107; 14 Jun 2010 at 13:48.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 13:46 (Ref:2711915)   #62
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Larry

Have tried to get involed in this myself, the ERC stuff is just as bad, mis pronounced names, wrong countries and details wrong, all stuff that is unforgiveable!

I cant think of a better guy to help, but surely you have enough to do as it is!! Take a break man!! lol
Old 14 Jun 2010, 14:14 (Ref:2711939)   #63
Larry Carter
Rookie

Larry Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the kind comments, guys, whilst this isn't a punt for business, it's something I'd like to help with but my existing committments at BSB and such like prevent it for this year at least.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2711946)   #64
chasing cars
Racer

Was Arthur back doing the circuit pa commentary at Blyton?
Old 14 Jun 2010, 15:12 (Ref:2711978)   #65
minieddie88
Rookie

England
Braintree, Essex
minieddie88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Arthur at Blyton, but give the commentator credit, him came round and was asking drivers questions, about themselves and there achievements etc.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 17:54 (Ref:2712090)   #66
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched it today after being there.

Barry Lee is poor, he was poor at mallory for the rallycross, he was poor at the motors tv live meeting! Why he is on i will never no. The other bloke was good, but barry was getting cars wrong, names wrong and when procter said he broke a shaft i dont think he belived him.

Motors TV, can you please get someone who has a clue what they are talking about for both british and european rallycross on your tv programmes!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2712109)   #67
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
Well said Dave.
For years we have moaned about the lack of tv coverage for rallycross, now we have lots plus live coverage (who would have thought that a couple of years ago) & someone still moans. I think Motors do a great job, yes the commentary isnt always the best & Barry Lee is very annoying but at no time do I want to switch off & the live programme on saturday was a much more enjoyable experience than the England match that preceded it!
I do think that commentators are very important in selling any sport to the general TV public. Think about F1 Murray Walker, Football Mottie, Horseracing Peter O'Sullivan... If the commentator is good even rain delays or track watering can sound interesting.

"Its rallycross legend Kenneth Hansen battling with rising British star Liam Doran" sounds a lot more interesting to the casual viewer than "the Citroen leads the Ford". For a sport like rallycross that doesn't get much exposure its vital that the commentator provides context and explains the importance of what is going on. Some feedback to Motors wouldn't go amiss...
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2712134)   #68
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All of the above is correct again!
Have said my bit on this Topic before!
I can put the powers that be in contact with Arthur Debenham if need be, although They should already have his details!
Fantastic first night race,fantastic to have Live TV back on our screens coverage is getting better and better,Managed to Improve one half of the Commentary? soon we could have the perfect package
Old 14 Jun 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2712139)   #69
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Bazzer is doing rallycross because he used to do it!! in the 70's!!

He is a Hot Rodder and good at tlaking about that and short oval stuff, and with the right person he is actually quite entertaining.

But is he any worse than the supposedly professional Kirby? No!!!!!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 19:12 (Ref:2712145)   #70
bigdick1977
Racer

England
Swindon
bigdick1977 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had the pleasure of working with Arthur D a few years back. His dedication to the sport and getting to know the drivers/ cars was amazing. He'd be at the track the day before, talk to everybody regardless of age, car or time in the sport. I don't believe we will ever have anybody quite the same, namely because he's a fan who commentates, rather than someone who's there just to do a job.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2712180)   #71
Adam Walker 36
Rookie

Adam Walker 36 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anybody watched the ERC coverage from Hungary on Motors yet? Ive watched it and was impressed with the new commentator, didn't catch his name but he's very good with names, history and JOKER LAP! Wayhay!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2712194)   #72
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Only coz Cole would be at Le Mans!! Thats the only reason he is doing it
Old 14 Jun 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2712199)   #73
rs 200
Racer

rs 200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barry lee needs to go he is no good for rallycross at all
kick him out

bring back john taylor on the mic or mr chat himself arthur debs

Last edited by rs 200; 14 Jun 2010 at 20:59.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 22:29 (Ref:2712267)   #74
rockape
Rookie

rockape should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was a fantastic day all round and can't wait for it to happen again. Racing like that was a joy to watch, thanks to all the drivers for that, and to everyone else who worked hard to make it such a good event.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 22:34 (Ref:2712269)   #75
chasing cars
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Walker 36 View Post
Anybody watched the ERC coverage from Hungary on Motors yet? Ive watched it and was impressed with the new commentator, didn't catch his name but he's very good with names, history and JOKER LAP! Wayhay!
Commentator was Simon Hill who does some of the live BTCC support races on itv & the WRC reports. Hes usually part of the Eurosport commentary team at Le mans but their loss this year was rallycrosses gain as I too thought he did a good job as he does with most things he commentates on.
This was good example of what Leonidis said, a commentator who will get interest from the viewing public by being interested & knowledgable in the subject himself.