Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 23 Oct 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3322105)   #1
F1Stuie
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
F1Stuie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gloves, gloves and gloves!

This subject may have been brought up in the past but I'm putting it out there anyway.

After having a pair or two of welders gauntlets for the past year as a newbie marshal I want to get a new pair of gloves for the new season next year, however I have found welders gauntlets to be clumsy and also not waterproof or warm in the inclement british weather. What do people have and feel as the best all round glove for marshalling in regards to being weatherproof, having thermal properties just in case of a car fire and also being able to use them in an incident condition such as being able to pick up small sharp debris up from the track to pulling a pin out of an extinguisher.

I'm looking at either Ringers or Southcombe gloves but just wanted to know if anyone had any better suggestions.
Old 23 Oct 2013, 11:20 (Ref:3322109)   #2
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got the Southcombe extricators, and they are brilliant. 3 years use of them so far and they've got years left in them. They can pretty much cope with anything apart from extreme wet. They also do a non structured fire glove which is also pretty good.
Old 23 Oct 2013, 11:40 (Ref:3322114)   #3
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're probably not going to get a single pair of gloves that covers all your requirements.

Welders gauntlets are often recommended as they have a number of useful properties.
1. They are easy to get off your hands - you might pick up something really hot and just shaking your hand should part you from the glove.
2. They are cheap - why not carry two pairs on wet days for a welcome change when they get wet.

They also have some poor properties - you don't have fine finger control, they can get a bit sticky in warm weather.

BUT, if you choose to go for a closer fitting glove, say Ringers, then you must accept the risk that if you pick up something hot, or get hot liquid (oil) on them, you're susceptible to a burn. Also, sharp items will certainly get through the Mechanix gloves.

For wet weather, you can sometimes retract your hands into your coat arms and keep gloves dry. Or, keep them off and inside your coat - on the basis you will use the 5-10 seconds it takes to put them on to assess whatever incident you're about to deal with.
Old 23 Oct 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3322120)   #4
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
You're probably not going to get a single pair of gloves that covers all your requirements.
The Southcombe's are as good as.
Old 23 Oct 2013, 15:02 (Ref:3322150)   #5
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All-leather gardening gloves from Town & Country. Tried all sorts of others and came back to these.

Then I discovered http://www.cuttergloves.co.uk/. Their goatskin work gloves seem to be just right. Dexterity and reasonable protection. £8.23 (unless you have XL hands).

Jim
Old 23 Oct 2013, 15:22 (Ref:3322159)   #6
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ringers Extrication Long-Cuff, although I love my pair of Ringers Roughneck Insulated (which are thermal insulated and waterproof except under the most extreme conditions).

Get them from Nimbus Motorsport but contact them and tell them you're a marshals and found them on Tenths and they should give you a good price.
Old 23 Oct 2013, 17:09 (Ref:3322195)   #7
F1Stuie
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
I'm just as confused again which way to sway. I really like the properties of what the southcombe gloves are made up of, especially if fire fighters use them, but I know some men who swear by their ringers.
Old 23 Oct 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3322214)   #8
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Second vote for ringers - I've got a pair of long cuff and a pair of barrier 1 extrication. Had both about 3 years and both look like new.

Not the cheapest in the world, but very good gloves and a very helpful supplier.

Only yesterday nimbus were advertising their marshals discount on facebook, so definitely worth contacting.

Have had both ringers and southcombe, and in my mind I'd have ringers...
Old 23 Oct 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3322222)   #9
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gloves inside gloves.

One to keep your hands dry and outer for protection.
Old 23 Oct 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3322292)   #10
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Gloves inside gloves.

And I though it was just me that wore my pink Marigolds under my welders gloves when it's really wet. Not exactly macho but more comfortable than cold wet hands .

Mind you I'm nearly always flagging these days and I find Sealskinz work best then.

Steve
Old 23 Oct 2013, 21:03 (Ref:3322310)   #11
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Quote:
Gloves inside gloves.

Whilst this is a good idea, it's not great for dexterity.
Old 24 Oct 2013, 08:42 (Ref:3322493)   #12
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have several gloves, AWS do a welding gauntlet style glove that has a proban lining, they can be flicked off if needed and seem to last ages, a pair of sparco nomex work gloves if I need to be flagging or playing at PC, some HI Viz ones for the night races and some leather gardening type gloves if it rains, they are short cuffed so that they go inside the sleeves of my rain coat so that the rain doesn't run down my arms and into the glove, under that glove (and it's dry spares) I have medical gloves to keep my hands dry. Keep the "rain gloves" in the pocket of my rain coat so I know where they are.
Old 24 Oct 2013, 09:34 (Ref:3322503)   #13
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
yellowspanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wear the Southcombe extricators both at work and on circuit. Excellent protection but only passable at keeping you warm and dry. Hands in pockets between sessions do that and I'd rather be safe.
Old 24 Oct 2013, 11:09 (Ref:3322523)   #14
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've got some basic Ringers for general stuff (dextrous enough to allow me to use them while flagging or acting as PC, including report writing), several pairs of el cheapo rigger's gloves for dirty/sharp/hot things (rather more clumsy but I don't care if they get wrecked and they're easy to flick off), and a pair of hi-viz SealSkinz for really really poor wet or cold weather. I originally bought them for cycling but they're great for trackside use too!
Old 24 Oct 2013, 14:14 (Ref:3322592)   #15
Nimbus Motorsport
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wetwang, East Yorkshire
Nimbus Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are still running our Marshal offers, as always on the whole range of Ringers from the basic Ringers Authentics to the top of the range CE rated Extrications used by the Fire Brigade.

Here is the range of gloves and their specs to help you decide which gloves you think would be best for your needs.

9 times out of 10, we have the gloves in stock and they are at your door the next day.

Hope this helps F1Stuie. We will keep an eye out for this thread to answer any questions .

Chris
Nimbus Motorsport

Last edited by MagnetON; 24 Oct 2013 at 15:12. Reason: Note: These guys are very "pro-marshal", so this shouldn't be reported as "advertising".
Old 25 Oct 2013, 06:02 (Ref:3322823)   #16
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D View Post
Whilst this is a good idea, it's not great for dexterity.
I was being a smart a**e but hopefully helpful. I have never been able to flag wearing gloves and have had more cold, wet hands than you can shake a stick at!!!!

OK - maybe once or twice when it has been snowing, I have worn them.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3322908)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I have never been able to flag wearing gloves and have had more cold, wet hands than you can shake a stick at!!!!
Shouldn't that be 'shake a stick with'?
Old 25 Oct 2013, 14:18 (Ref:3322935)   #18
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gloves !!

Hmmm, now let me think !!

Incident marshals - welding gloves are possibly the best option, cheap enough to have a spare pair, but not very 'cool' looking when your mates/mum spot you on TV at a BTCC meeting (if selected !!).

Flag marshals - any that will allow you to not drop the yellow flag when I'm having to go trackside in your sector.

Post Chiefs - any that will stop the ink running onto your fingers given all the reports for 'four wheels off' you'll need to write next year and will allow you to use a telephone or radio.

I/Os - Need to look really cool, give you the dexterity to hit that radio button first time, be suitably coloured so that it's clear what you're pointing at, but don't clash with flag colours, be sufficiently battlescarred to look like you've been involved with loads of incidents, but most importantly, still allow you to whip out that pork pie from your pocket at the opportune time to wake up the next post !!

Trainees - all of the above, because, given the manning levels we have at some meetings, you may need to do any one, or even all, of these jobs !!!

Old 25 Oct 2013, 14:21 (Ref:3322936)   #19
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Shouldn't that be 'shake a stick with'?
I've 'lighted' and flagged with Shelagh at Le Mans Post 70 in the past, and it is 'shake a stick at' for some of the drivers !!!
Old 25 Oct 2013, 14:24 (Ref:3322937)   #20
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Steve, thanks for making me smile while passing on good advice.

Woolley - I wondered who might pick up on that phrase. You get the prize. XXXXX
Old 25 Oct 2013, 17:09 (Ref:3322988)   #21
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't bother with gloves when flagging. I have a zippo handwarmer in each pocket. Lovely.
Old 26 Oct 2013, 18:00 (Ref:3323362)   #22
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthportFC Fan View Post
I've 'lighted' and flagged with Shelagh at Le Mans Post 70 in the past, and it is 'shake a stick at' for some of the drivers !!!
And I've also acted as a downspout on Poste 70 while holding out the SC board.

You have to love it to do it - marshalling that is.
Old 26 Oct 2013, 18:26 (Ref:3323374)   #23
F1Stuie
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
Thanks everybody for the great advice. I've still not decided yet but I've got some time yet before next season, plus hopefully get them for Xmas. :-)
Old 2 Jan 2014, 09:24 (Ref:3349614)   #24
Nimbus Motorsport
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wetwang, East Yorkshire
Nimbus Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy New Year all, hope you all had a good Christmas!

We are just posting on here to make you aware that we are not holding a stand at Autosport Show this year. Since most Marshals do tend to get their gloves from us at Autosport, we are continuing with the same show offer on the Authentic Gloves.

Thank you all, we hope you all have a safe and happy 2014 .

Chris
Nimbus Motorsport
Old 2 Jan 2014, 10:01 (Ref:3349621)   #25
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just ordered mine, very helpful chap.