Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Closed Thread

Old 9 Jun 2002, 12:47 (Ref:308584)   #1
calcium
Racer

calcium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport photography Part 2

Hi everyone,thanks again for all advice you gave me about buying my first camera.I've been to a couple of bike meetings and got some quite good results for a first attempt.

Is there any possibility of getting track access and if so how do I go about achieving this? (Oulton Park is the track I'm most interested in)

I would absolutely love to gain pit lane access (my dream is to get into the paddock area at the British Moto GP and World Superbike meetings)Has anyone got any names/contacts/advice they would like to share with me? (PM me if that's better)

I know the above sounds very ambitious but that's ultimately where I would like to be(no harm in asking!!!)

Any advice on "what to do next" eg, who to send photos to to get recognition or any general info on how I can progress would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 9 Jun 2002, 13:02 (Ref:308590)   #2
hoonboyz
Racer

hoonboyz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you can try sending your Pics to the variuos clubs they may use them in club mags etc
Old 9 Jun 2002, 14:57 (Ref:308649)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
talk to people, and let those people see your pictures. there are tracks where you can get just as good pictures as the people on the other side of the fence - brands, at paddock hill, for example. keep taking, and most importantly, keep talking to people. you might end up accidentally talking to someone who could help you.
Old 9 Jun 2002, 15:24 (Ref:308672)   #4
calcium
Racer

Thanks but who are "people" just anyone around the track or racing team members or officials around the track??? (I don't think I could talk to the riders,I get too nervous!!)

Last edited by calcium; 9 Jun 2002 at 15:24.
Old 9 Jun 2002, 15:29 (Ref:308674)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i've met a bunch of drivers through this forum, although they're not toooo handy in the search for decent contacts (lovely ppl tho ). admittedly i've been lucky in meeting a couple of people who run websites who want pictures, and i'm lucky in knowing someone who's editor of a local newspaper oop north.

if it's mostly bikes you do, if you end up with a good picture of an accident or something like that (sneak test shots are good too), then get in contact with a publication (for cars autosport or motorsport news) who might not have an agency photograph of what you've got.

actually, do go along to random test sessions when they're testing the new bikes over winter, you might be able to pick up on some gossip. also just get talking to random people at the track, there's always the off chance they might know a rider who wants some pictures of themselves for sponsors or whatever.

you just have to keep talking and look for that lucky break...
Old 9 Jun 2002, 15:30 (Ref:308676)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Everyone!

As an example, if you get a good or unusual photo you might like to email it to the team website or take it along to the next race meeting. If they like it they may offer you money for a copy - then say you'd prefer the opportunity to get trackside and ask if they will be prepared to request accreditation on your behalf in return for you taking more photos of the teams bikes/riders...
Old 9 Jun 2002, 15:37 (Ref:308682)   #7
calcium
Racer

Good advice,thanks. Would you believe I have actually already got some of my pics on a Superbike riders web site, so I am doing the right sort of thing.(They were my very first attempt with my SLR camera too!!)
Old 9 Jun 2002, 15:41 (Ref:308684)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Excellent! Email them and ask if they would like some more nexttime they race local. When they write back and say yes (and they will cos they love freebies) then ask for them to write you a letter requesting TEAM ACCREDITATION for photography purposes. Then simply get in touch with the relevant circuit and ask to speak to the press officer/media office and ask they send you the necessary forms. When they drop through your door, fill them in and drop them back in the post (or by fax) together with the letter from the team and hey presto...
Old 9 Jun 2002, 16:14 (Ref:308701)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
he's right. if you've already done that, you've got yourself a very good chance of getting trackside access.
Old 9 Jun 2002, 19:43 (Ref:308809)   #10
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont know were you are but if you can get to mallory park for the BSB or any club meetings (EMRA ect) try and get there. The pits is open to all riders are easy to find there is no fence in the way and you are as close as press guys. Its also a very fast and short track so you will get loads of action shots and crashes as well.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 17:32 (Ref:309824)   #11
calcium
Racer

Thanks everyone, Craig I don't want to be too pushy with the Team (they have already requested more photos for the next meeting I attend)would they mind me asking them for a TEAM ACCREDITATION letter??
Old 10 Jun 2002, 18:00 (Ref:309850)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Not if they want free photos. And, let's face it, they are going to be even better if you can get the other side of the safety fencing and closer to the track. Simply ask them if they would mind you applying to the circuit for a photography accreditation and see what they say - if they say yes then ask if they could possibly supply you with a letter requesting you be accredited in the name of the team. I don't know how it is in bikes but in the BTCC, which is the series I cover, each team is permitted a minimum of two people to cover the event, and that's without any fuss at all. Unless you're trying to cover an event at Thruxton that is!
Old 10 Jun 2002, 18:35 (Ref:309884)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
yeah, never deal with thruxton. talk about blood out of a stone.

the thing about two people per team in touring cars works for drivers (in formula renault, admittedly) as well, usually they allow for a photographer and a press officer. except in the fia series, apparently. the tightwads only let them have one press person then.

Last edited by bella; 10 Jun 2002 at 18:36.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 19:07 (Ref:309909)   #14
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most circuits say that you are not allowed to use any images taken without photography pass for anything other than private use, but they're not going to know (unless, perhaps at a GP!). I think Castle Combe is just as bad as Thruxton. To get a press pass, you have to had images and text printed about the circuit in a recognised source, which without a pass is illegal anyway!!!!!
Old 10 Jun 2002, 20:02 (Ref:309965)   #15
brickkicker
Veteran

Take what they say in the program about not being able to use the images and that they can take anything of you with a pinch of salt. Its **** they cant and wont take it of you. Any images you take are yours and you hold the copyright untill you sell it outright. Anyway they cant stop it after its gone to print and if they did try to do anything to you after A) how are they going to find you B) what action could they take.
If you want to get accreditations you have to get published if you want to get published you have to have accreditations its a chicken and egg thing. Go for your life and go for it.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 20:50 (Ref:310002)   #16
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I find most of the clubs and circuits very helpful with accreditation of a photographers pass (for reference for my work - see my website)
All I can say is you need to keep plugging away and a valid reason for needing to be trackside - took me years to get a pass, but gradually I got more and more help and fortunately have full season accreditation now from Octagon along with accreditation from FOM for the GP. I guess they now recognise that this is my living and I need to get the reference. Offering the circuits free copies may help but I know that Silverstone got caught out years ago at the F1 tyre tests when everyman and his dog seemed to get
a pass for the pit wall and they stopped it. Things tightened up after this.
Good luck anyway.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 20:54 (Ref:310004)   #17
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's damn hard to get the right passes and to convince the authorities that you are a bona fide photographer. A lot of barriers are put in your way, even when you have letter and a portfolio of prints to back up any accreditation application. There are about 3 top flight motorsport picture agencies which appear to have the whole market sewn up, and many teams just wont even give you a chance to show off you work as they have contracts with these agencies. Im happy being an independent, but if your good enuff maybe you can get employed by one of these agencies! A scan of Autosport will give you a clue to who I am on about!
Old 10 Jun 2002, 21:22 (Ref:310035)   #18
Alan
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK
Alan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you manage to get some unusual pics in an area not covered by the pro's then you stand a good chance of getting them published - if you submit them early enough. You HAVE to phone the picture desk as soon as possible to discuss their requirements as all publications work to very tight deadlines. Don't waste time developing your film. If they are interested they may arrange collection and will develop and print it for you. I had a couple of early submissions returned with a compliment slip signed "too late" before I learnt that.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 20:49 (Ref:313896)   #19
calcium
Racer

What about pit lane access? Have I a better chance if I go on a qualifying day and ask one of the officials nicely??
Old 15 Jun 2002, 14:12 (Ref:314379)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
go on a test day, and ask nicely then, or just walk in like you know what you're doing. the worst that can happen is someone says 'oi'....
Old 15 Jun 2002, 17:07 (Ref:314460)   #21
calcium
Racer

Thanks Bella,has anyone got any tips/info on how I could get a paddock pass for the Donington Moto GP this year? (I'm now on my knees begging)
Old 15 Jun 2002, 17:31 (Ref:314480)   #22
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
unless you grovel to the team you've already taken pictures of, and they're doing a support race, you'll have difficulty
Old 18 Jun 2002, 18:54 (Ref:316341)   #23
brickkicker
Veteran

Is anyone at Oulton Park taking any pics this weekend? If you are maybe we could meet up sometime on the saturday
Old 2 Jul 2002, 19:48 (Ref:326067)   #24
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well i've just invested £10 in a mag called digital photography for beginners and my dad bought a big book the other day about digi cameras.

Here starts the long to snap happy

As im not going to university the 6 grand fees my parents would have folked can go on a camera instead (once i've proved myself on a cheaper model of camera).
Old 4 Jul 2002, 09:15 (Ref:326902)   #25
ginettag27
Racer

ginettag27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calcium

What sort of camera did you go for? What sort of lenses (sizes), what sort of film are you using (if it's not digital).. Experiment - try different settings, different techniques, get a book on Photography, John Hedgecoe's are usually pretty good or have a good 'leaf' through and see if they cover what effects you want to create.

I bought an SLR about 2 years ago and was doing quite well... but using a lot of the 'Program' settings - it seemed that the results were sometimes a bit hit and miss, especially in difficult lighting situations (i.e. too little, sometimes too much - not possible surely?).. Then decided to 'do' an Evening course in Photography, updated my camera and lenses and learned some really good techniques and tips. You can always learn - Practical Photography is an excellent magazine to read and gain tips in or ask questions. There are loads of sites with information about Photography in as well. Ideally you need to note down what settings you had for each shot so that when you get the results you can see what worked and what didn't and adjust accordingly... Plus bracket your shots. Try different film speeds and types, you might prefer a certain make and try Black & White... (Ilford of course!)

Try panning techniques and different aperture settings together with shutter speed combinations.

Keep taking photos - lots of photos, the more the better!! That 'last one' to use up the film might just be the best shot you take all day. :-)

Plus work with the meter but also don't be afraid to step down and up from that as well...

Go prepared - spare film, spare batteries and all the lenses you think you'll need - the one you leave behind is the one you end up needing the most!!

Someone said 'slow the process down' this is so true, don't be in a hurry, get accustomed to using your camera - so that you can set it the way you want quickly and properly and so that you don't miss things which 'happen'.. Get in to a routine so that you take steps to 'set the picture' up.. Compose, meter, etc...

Never be afraid to take criticism (hopefully constructive), although this is true for all things in life and to accept help/guidance, although you're already doing the latter.

HTH

EPS
:-)
Closed Thread