Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Oct 2020, 20:09 (Ref:4011196)   #76
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I rather think it's more a matter of driver error, I'm afraid the Elite didn't have any rear view mirrors, Gary Pearson is a very quick and experienced pilot and he naturally assumed that the slower cars would observe some caution and awareness in such a mixed field. Hate to see such beautiful cars damaged in this way.
Old 17 Oct 2020, 22:37 (Ref:4011224)   #77
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I rather think it's more a matter of driver error, I'm afraid the Elite didn't have any rear view mirrors, Gary Pearson is a very quick and experienced pilot and he naturally assumed that the slower cars would observe some caution and awareness in such a mixed field. Hate to see such beautiful cars damaged in this way.
I was taught it was the responsibility of the overtaking car/faster driver to see his way by in an orderly manner . . . . Slower cars/drivers not to deviate from their line or do anything eratic.

Goodwood has its own rules, maybe you read their script?
Old 17 Oct 2020, 22:57 (Ref:4011230)   #78
james s
Rookie

United Kingdom
Alton,Hants
james s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from the luxury of the computer it was an unnecessarily risky overtake on the most dangerous part of the circuit , it is the responsibility of the faster driver especially when lapping slower drivers to do it in the safest way possible. David Clark is a very experienced driver as is Gary Pearson they should of known better
Old 18 Oct 2020, 00:20 (Ref:4011239)   #79
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I was taught it was the responsibility of the overtaking car/faster driver to see his way by in an orderly manner . . . . Slower cars/drivers not to deviate from their line or do anything eratic.

Goodwood has its own rules, maybe you read their script?
Agree with your former statement...no eye deer what Goodwood rules may be applied tho
Old 18 Oct 2020, 08:18 (Ref:4011329)   #80
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Elites in the race were driven by experienced drivers and best that can be said was GP was being very optimistic.
The two Elites were properly historic and the Michael Birch/Richard Bradley car ran three TT’s at Goodwood in period .
I can’t remember how many E types won a TT at Goodwood especially with rag top?
It’s Goodwood and the SWB had just returned from total rebuild at Ferrari
That would **** even that owner off!!
Old 18 Oct 2020, 08:36 (Ref:4011333)   #81
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
I can’t remember how many E types won a TT at Goodwood especially with rag top?
Haven't watched any of it, so can't comment but wasn't that E Type shared by Young Master March?
Old 18 Oct 2020, 08:57 (Ref:4011338)   #82
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I'd say Pearson/ Brundle E Type, Peter, GP at wheel. yes a little bit optimistic.
Old 18 Oct 2020, 08:57 (Ref:4011339)   #83
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
https://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=G...4265rc1stt.pdf

It doesn't pay the repair bills, but at least the authorities saw it the same way most of us did. Better than having some fabricated crap published in a green book about your car breaking.
Old 18 Oct 2020, 08:59 (Ref:4011340)   #84
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Huff driving was really enjoyable, viril et très correct I'd say…
Old 18 Oct 2020, 09:01 (Ref:4011341)   #85
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

It doesn't pay the repair bills, but at least the authorities saw it the same way most of us did. Better than having some fabricated crap published in a green book about your car breaking.
The Gordon/March E Type
Old 18 Oct 2020, 09:33 (Ref:4011342)   #86
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Obviously I misinterpreted the incident, I only watched the live racing and didn't bother to look at a rerun but I was originally under the impression that the Elite changed its line oblivious to the pursuing E type. No suggestion of any lack of driving skills from the Elite driver more a question of lack of overtaking signals from the marshals post but I could be wrong!
Old 18 Oct 2020, 09:53 (Ref:4011344)   #87
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A welcome Sunday off here, spent at Goodwood without having to get cold! Enjoyed St Mary's but the SF Edge Trophy was something else. Wonderful! Does Mark Walker need a riding mechanic?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 18 Oct 2020, 16:10 (Ref:4011370)   #88
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, so Goodie on the tablet, British Kart Championship on the laptop alongside. What to watch?!??

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 18 Oct 2020, 18:33 (Ref:4011393)   #89
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Err rallycross, Motogp, BSB, easy decision sorry!
Old 19 Oct 2020, 08:24 (Ref:4011458)   #90
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I loved the fact that the BOSS 302 Mustang won the two Gerry Marshall Trophy races when these cars never actually raced in that era or "Group 1+" part of the BSCC. This makes all of the other owners and cars look stupid. Why bother build or run a Group 1+ car when it's something that wasn't there that outpaces everyone?
Old 19 Oct 2020, 08:27 (Ref:4011459)   #91
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It’s Goodwood!
Old 19 Oct 2020, 08:37 (Ref:4011465)   #92
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
I loved the fact that the BOSS 302 Mustang won the two Gerry Marshall Trophy races when these cars never actually raced in that era or "Group 1+" part of the BSCC. This makes all of the other owners and cars look stupid. Why bother build or run a Group 1+ car when it's something that wasn't there that outpaces everyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
It’s Goodwood!
Both valid points but this car also races with MRL in the Tony Dron Trophy, so I understand it has the necessary HTP. FWIW it is a lovely car.
Old 19 Oct 2020, 08:55 (Ref:4011474)   #93
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
You can say the same for St Marys Trophy

As JR says, it's Goodwood, rewriting history for 20 years.
Old 19 Oct 2020, 09:45 (Ref:4011481)   #94
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Both valid points but this car also races with MRL in the Tony Dron Trophy, so I understand it has the necessary HTP. FWIW it is a lovely car.
It doesn't have valid HTP.
Old 19 Oct 2020, 09:48 (Ref:4011482)   #95
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Fair enough.
Old 19 Oct 2020, 11:26 (Ref:4011488)   #96
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
On reflection can anyone tell me what Ford were thinking when, instead of running the Mach E around to set a lap time, they gave it to some wassock who spent the time spinning it around. As someone who still has a deposit on one, I'm seriously thinking that perhaps Ford are not confident in the capabilities of the car.
Old 19 Oct 2020, 11:37 (Ref:4011489)   #97
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
On reflection can anyone tell me what Ford were thinking when, instead of running the Mach E around to set a lap time, they gave it to some wassock who spent the time spinning it around. As someone who still has a deposit on one, I'm seriously thinking that perhaps Ford are not confident in the capabilities of the car.
Maybe they're going for a younger market who are more into that sort of thing than lap times?
Old 19 Oct 2020, 11:40 (Ref:4011491)   #98
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
How much to the professional drivers get for appearing? Are they paid per race or for the meeting?
This year there seemed to be a very small pool or very busy drivers. How many events did Nick Padmore do? Was it driving to reduce the number of folk present?
Old 19 Oct 2020, 11:54 (Ref:4011492)   #99
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
How much to the professional drivers get for appearing? Are they paid per race or for the meeting?
This year there seemed to be a very small pool or very busy drivers. How many events did Nick Padmore do? Was it driving to reduce the number of folk present?
I guess that some of the other drivers may not have been there if they have events still to run in their day jobs - things like quarantine periods or international travel restrictions may have had an impact to some extent.
Old 19 Oct 2020, 12:16 (Ref:4011494)   #100
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
Maybe they're going for a younger market who are more into that sort of thing than lap times?
Someone spending upwards of 55k is not going to be interested in burning rubber. That is a 1400bhp machine, would have been good to see it perform.