Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Mar 2007, 14:53 (Ref:1860651)   #1
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Withdrawl symptoms...

I was just buying lunch at the Marks & Sparks on Teddington high street when I heard the unmistakable sound of a well-tuned, unmuffled straight-six. I was suddenly acutely aware just how long its been since I was at the racetrack!!! Now I'm suffering from serious withdrawl symptoms...
Old 7 Mar 2007, 19:29 (Ref:1860846)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not long now!
Old 8 Mar 2007, 05:39 (Ref:1861162)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Rocket
I was just buying lunch at the Marks & Sparks on Teddington high street
Rich *******.

Quote:
when I heard the unmistakable sound of a well-tuned, unmuffled straight-six. I was suddenly acutely aware just how long its been since I was at the racetrack!!! Now I'm suffering from serious withdrawl symptoms...
What was it?
Old 8 Mar 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1861306)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
a knackered 5 series probably

all one can afford after lunch at M&S !

I have to say I'm not suffering huge race withdrawl symptoms at the moment, I'm more interested in a bit of car developement and testing for a few months . . .and its cheaper!

Last edited by zefarelly; 8 Mar 2007 at 14:51.
Old 8 Mar 2007, 13:11 (Ref:1861437)   #5
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Rich *******.

What was it?
I have to refer you to my earlier post in the Masters/Top Hat thread regarding my occupation and financial situation!!! Only go to Marks because its the only place that can be walked to and from in an hour's lunch time.

I didn't get a look at it - by the time I snapped my head round it was gone. Although it didn't have that 'boy racer with a tin can sound'. I immediately thought E-type but I can't be sure!
Old 8 Mar 2007, 13:53 (Ref:1861471)   #6
photohsr
Racer

Canada
Burlington, Ontario
photohsr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I solved my withdrawal symptoms, did the HSR Sebring event last weekend, the 12 Hour next week :-)
Bob H
Old 8 Mar 2007, 14:11 (Ref:1861483)   #7
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by photohsr
I solved my withdrawal symptoms, did the HSR Sebring event last weekend, the 12 Hour next week :-)
Bob H
Old 8 Mar 2007, 14:13 (Ref:1861484)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I have to refer you to my earlier post in the Masters/Top Hat thread regarding my occupation and financial situation!!! Only go to Marks because its the only place that can be walked to and from in an hour's lunch time.
Actually I was wondering if you went for the cold lobster or one of their rather nice egg, bacon and tomato sandwiches.
Old 8 Mar 2007, 14:51 (Ref:1861505)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
is that weight watchers Peter ?
Old 8 Mar 2007, 15:01 (Ref:1861515)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Only if you go for the lobster.
Old 8 Mar 2007, 17:26 (Ref:1861618)   #11
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Percy Pigs... for my mid-afternoon sugar rush.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 10:32 (Ref:1867145)   #12
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Right. Not suffering anymore. Went down to Brands for press day and Richard Meins gave me a few demo laps riding in the passenger seat of his GT40!!!!
Old 15 Mar 2007, 13:10 (Ref:1867247)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Right. Not suffering anymore. Went down to Brands for press day and Richard Meins gave me a few demo laps riding in the passenger seat of his GT40!!!!
was that a Masters press day?
Old 15 Mar 2007, 13:44 (Ref:1867274)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
the only race I'm looking forward to at the Mo is Brands in May . . . got fettling and testing to do beforehand
Old 16 Mar 2007, 10:27 (Ref:1868127)   #15
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
was that a Masters press day?
It was MSV's season launch. So the circuit was open to the public, there were press conferences with Jonathon Palmer interviewing Andy Priaulx, Matt Neal, James Tosland, Chris Tate etc. And then some passenger rides/demo laps. Richard had his GT40 specially kitted out with a passenger seat and harness so we got to have a go. Quite a thrill for someone like me. Its been a lifelong dreams to sit in a GT40, let alone be driven round in one!
Old 16 Mar 2007, 10:36 (Ref:1868133)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
did you do the GP or Indy circuit? I have to say that if money were no object I thin I would have a GT40 as well - they are awesome to look at and I am told to drive as well - as days out of the office go it sounds a good one! Now as someone connected to Autosport can you tell me when I am going to get my free Sparco kitbag for signing up a few weeks ago?!
Old 16 Mar 2007, 19:41 (Ref:1868498)   #17
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Quote:
did you do the GP or Indy circuit? I have to say that if money were no object I thin I would have a GT40 as well - they are awesome to look at and I am told to drive as well - as days out of the office go it sounds a good one! Now as someone connected to Autosport can you tell me when I am going to get my free Sparco kitbag for signing up a few weeks ago?!
It was the Indy circuit. Which feels very, very short in a GT40. I got the impression it was only just finding its legs at the end of the start/finish straight. It was a pretty good day out of the office. Funny thing is - most of the press were all cueing up for Priaulx in the new M5, or a craic in Matt Neal's BTCC car. Only 3 of us made it up the pitlane far enough for a go in the GT40, which to my way of thinking was the best piece of kit out there! Just shows that most of the press there were National Paper lot who don't know what they're looking at. And the funny thing is, my colleague and I are both 26, so you'd think it would be the older chaps after the GT40, and us wanting the newer stuff...

As for your kitbag, I'll put in a word...

Just out of interest, what sort of stuff do you race? I'm planning to spectate at a few Masters/Top Hat events this year, and have a possible couple of drives in Oldies but Goldies.
Old 17 Mar 2007, 07:40 (Ref:1868918)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Will you be at Combe? If so come and say hello.
Old 17 Mar 2007, 08:46 (Ref:1868934)   #19
simon drabble
Veteran

I should also be at Castle Combe, I race historic pre 66 in the main. My own car is a sports racer (Merlyn Mk6a) which I will be running in the Autosport 3 Hour race at Snetterton with HSCC as well as some other HSCC rounds and the Masters SRM series and I will be joining a fellow ten tenther in his Lotus Cortina and hopefully Corvette in the other Masters series. The main UK rounds to see I think will be Easter CC, Donington May Masters, Brands Super Prix and Silverstone Classic (leaving out the obvious Goodwood!)
I would have been with you - why go and get scared witless by a pro driver whose brief is to do exactly that when you can go and experience something really special!
Old 18 Mar 2007, 23:17 (Ref:1870950)   #20
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Quote:
I should also be at Castle Combe, I race historic pre 66 in the main. My own car is a sports racer (Merlyn Mk6a) which I will be running in the Autosport 3 Hour race at Snetterton with HSCC as well as some other HSCC rounds and the Masters SRM series and I will be joining a fellow ten tenther in his Lotus Cortina and hopefully Corvette in the other Masters series. The main UK rounds to see I think will be Easter CC, Donington May Masters, Brands Super Prix and Silverstone Classic (leaving out the obvious Goodwood!)
I would have been with you - why go and get scared witless by a pro driver whose brief is to do exactly that when you can go and experience something really special!
I'm hoping to be out at Combe, in which case I'll come and find everyone. I'm up at Snetterton earlier in the weekend with my friend Colin who runs an MGA Twin Cam in the Thoroughbred Sportscars. I go to all his meets with him, but as Combe is on the Monday I'm hoping to be there. Just depends on me getting my Spitfire sorted out so I can get myself out there. I'm not quite finished the work I undertook at Christmas (gearbox, overdrive, flywheel, clutch, propshaft etc.) But fingers crossed I should be there.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 09:29 (Ref:1872933)   #21
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Well done Simon!Leave out Phoneywood