Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Jul 2008, 13:14 (Ref:2242209)   #51
Andy Bacon
Rookie

England
Bedford and Phuket
Andy Bacon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC driver
Pom pom pom call burton for some new springs 500 pound at least And do something with the rake of the car first....it looks like a hotrod
The OP is getting the best of advice here.
Get new rear springs or get them reset to lower the rear and it will also stop picking up rear wheels. Don't use lowering blocks.
Old 2 Jul 2008, 17:05 (Ref:2242324)   #52
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
espers always wanted to get into drag . . . is that what your saying Terry ?
straight lines? ever seen a healey doing straight lines. proper set up cortina will do that.
Old 2 Jul 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2242360)   #53
Leo Landman
Rookie

Netherlands
Netherlands
Leo Landman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bacon
The OP is getting the best of advice here.
Get new rear springs or get them reset to lower the rear and it will also stop picking up rear wheels. Don't use lowering blocks.
This OP is happy with any advice, and wil certainly look into getting better springs.

What is the disadvantage of lowering blocks? This is new to me, I thought it was quite common to lower a Cortina using blocks.
Old 2 Jul 2008, 19:06 (Ref:2242430)   #54
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
According to our old friend Fred Puhn lowering blocks are good.
Old 2 Jul 2008, 19:48 (Ref:2242459)   #55
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apart from increased fore and aft movement,far better to have just the springs.
Old 2 Jul 2008, 21:00 (Ref:2242521)   #56
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I have found lowering blocks can cause axle tramp. If you taper them down at the front to make the diff nose lower that normally cures it.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Jul 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2242529)   #57
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
According to our Fred, blocks can be useful for dialing out built in manufacture rear steer was the reason from memory.
Old 2 Jul 2008, 21:20 (Ref:2242544)   #58
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
I have found lowering blocks can cause axle tramp. If you taper them down at the front to make the diff nose lower that normally cures it.
Yes exactly Gordon,in effect they give more leverage because of the extra distance from the designed mounting faces.Bit like a short lever against a longer one.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 17:06 (Ref:2244064)   #59
Andy Bacon
Rookie

England
Bedford and Phuket
Andy Bacon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Landman
This OP is happy with any advice, and wil certainly look into getting better springs.

What is the disadvantage of lowering blocks? This is new to me, I thought it was quite common to lower a Cortina using blocks.

Lowering blocks, as others have said, promote axle tramp.

As I also think your rear wheel lifting may be caused the shockers lacking travel in droop. resetting the springs will improve this but a lowering block leaves the lower shocker mount in the same place. Try not to run the axle on or close to the bump stops unless they are really progressive.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2255809)   #60
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry to re open an almost dead thread but can anyone explain this??

I would have thought increasing the distance between the driveshaft and the spring increases the torque required to wind the spring up, making tramp marginally less likely

Is Gordon saying the tapering of the lowering block helps because the angles of any tramp bars change??

Have been grappling with this one for years...

As for front spring rates 450-500 lbs/inch offends all the theory but am convinced that people go this way in order to reduce movement as much as possible as lowering the car has a huge detrimental effect on geometry that you cannot rectify unless the regs permit relocating tca mountings and just about everything else
Old 22 Jul 2008, 13:42 (Ref:2255914)   #61
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
interesting that some of the quicker cars don't look as 'slammed' others

my car has actually been raised since I built it!
Old 22 Jul 2008, 16:19 (Ref:2255991)   #62
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonners
Sorry to re open an almost dead thread but can anyone explain this??

I would have thought increasing the distance between the driveshaft and the spring increases the torque required to wind the spring up, making tramp marginally less likely

Is Gordon saying the tapering of the lowering block helps because the angles of any tramp bars change??

Have been grappling with this one for years...

As for front spring rates 450-500 lbs/inch offends all the theory but am convinced that people go this way in order to reduce movement as much as possible as lowering the car has a huge detrimental effect on geometry that you cannot rectify unless the regs permit relocating tca mountings and just about everything else

Just lowers the diff nose.If you think about the wind up,you do have the torque at a greater distance away,hence the problem.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 17:11 (Ref:2256018)   #63
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Terry is correct. As you drop the clutch to make your amazing getaway the diff pinion tries to wind its way up and round the crown wheel. The leaf spring adapts an S shape and when it cries enough it shoves the diff back down promoting axle tramp.
Lowering blocks magnify this because the leverage is more as the axle unit is further from the spring.
If you angle the diff nose down either by repositioning the spring saddles or tapering the lowering blocks although it still tries to wind the pinion up the crown wheel it will cure most of the problem.
I thought this thread was about shock absorbers !!!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Jul 2008, 20:06 (Ref:2256132)   #64
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
And Springs/Diff Nose Angles/how to make a Ford Handle,or was that four?
Old 22 Jul 2008, 20:19 (Ref:2256140)   #65
jonners
Racer

yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah but....

Still a bit confused but thanks for the comments and sorry about the hijack

I can see that what I said earlier was wrong - the increased distance from the axle to the spring means the leverage is greater so more spring wind up...BUT...

...on a GT Cortina fitted with standard radius arms the gap between the top radius arm and the lower one (the spring) increases if you fit a lowering block and this will resist spring wind up so perhaps the problem isn't so big

Still confused about the diff nose thing - the torque reaction will make the diff nose go up by the same amount whatever its starting position - or am I missing something???

Am genuinely looking for help on this for our car so any pearls of wisdom much appreciated
Old 22 Jul 2008, 20:51 (Ref:2256166)   #66
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonners
Still confused about the diff nose thing - the torque reaction will make the diff nose go up by the same amount whatever its starting position - or am I missing something???
Its all to do with the leverage point going past the straight ahead position.
As it starts before (like anti dive)
Old 23 Jul 2008, 12:59 (Ref:2256576)   #67
jonners
Racer

Quote:
Its all to do with the leverage point going past the straight ahead position.
As it starts before (like anti dive)
Gordon - thanks for that - could you elaborate a bit - still confused...
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:04 (Ref:2260331)   #68
Keith Graham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hythe,Kent
Keith Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always understood the radius arms or anti-tramps bars stopped the spring wind-up. The fixed point in the centre of the spring cannot move forwards or aftwards because of the tramp bar thus avoiding wind-up and axle tramp. So therefore lowering blocks should not affect this. Admitted if you did not have anti-tramp bars it would increase the leverage because the distance is greater, but don`t most performance cars have radius or anti-tramp bars? Shorter springs is more a professional way of lowering but surely the outcome is the same. I stand to be corrected.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2284797)   #69
Leo Landman
Rookie

Netherlands
Netherlands
Time for some feedback. Following your (and other's) kind advice, we uprated the front springs to 500 lbs. We fitted a proper GT rear axle with the proper trailing arms and mounting points. The LSD was softened by 30%. The lowering blocks were tossed out, the leaf springs straightened by a blacksmith to lower the car to the required height. I'm probably forgetting a few improvements but let's just say is was a busy summer.

The result is a transformed car. This weekend at Assen I could finally toss the old Cortina into a corner, and come out safely at the other end, steering with the throttle and correcting with the wheel (or the other way around). It doesn't turn me into Jim Clark, but at least I now see how it can be done. I can hardly describe the sensation of sliding through a corner at 140 kph feeling in control, and not feeling like risking my life!

For the first time I fully enjoyed driving the car. Now I have to develop my driving so as to exploit the newfound 'sideways speed' of the Cortina. That will take longer than a summer, but at least I now have a car that works with me rather than fight me. Thanks for your help.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 17:50 (Ref:2284896)   #70
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Excellent result but dont forget that sideways is slower than smooth!!
Old 8 Sep 2008, 22:24 (Ref:2285121)   #71
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Excellent result but dont forget that sideways is slower than smooth!!
so you did race formula cars then it was wet in assen last weekend to explain something .
Old 9 Sep 2008, 08:22 (Ref:2285352)   #72
Leo Landman
Rookie

Netherlands
Netherlands
Esper, I only drove two of the dry sessions (free practrice and race 1) at Assen. Only race 2 was wet, and it was my co-driver's turn then

I know sideways isn't quicker, but we're on Dunlop vintage racings and they seem to work best at a higher slip angle than recommended for modern tyres. Which is nice because, as one of the boys here once said, sliding is part of the Cortina fun.

We'll be at Zandvoort next weekend, don't hesitate to drop by. It's the Cortina with the chequered roof.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2285371)   #73
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Absolutely agree it IS fun but----------