Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 1 Apr 2006, 21:52 (Ref:1567193)   #26
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why do you think Darren was an F1 test driver? A former Champ Car and IRL driver?
Old 1 Apr 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1567196)   #27
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With your attitude kebab, you'd think I was saying Kerr was awful, which is patently not the case.

I just happen to rate Manning better, based on what he has shown in Champcars, IRL etc...and he is more experienced.

Obviously, don't let that distort your slightly blinkered view on things....
Old 1 Apr 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1567201)   #28
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes, yes, Darren is the best driver in the world (despite being dumped by F1 and IRL). I know when I'm not welcome :P
Old 1 Apr 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1567203)   #29
Kebab
Racer

PS Obviously touched a few nerves what with all the defensive posting going on!!!
Old 1 Apr 2006, 22:02 (Ref:1567204)   #30
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Many drivers have been dumped by F1. Some just don't suit that discipline, sadly.

Doesn't make him any less a driver.

And his IRL dumping was nothing to do with ability.
Old 1 Apr 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1567214)   #31
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Trying to take an objective view, I think the basic problem was that Arden didn't have much confidence in Kerr from the beginning and vice-versa, which is never a happy situation. Both sides deserve credit for carrying things forward to the point that Team GBR has effectively secured 3rd place in the Championship.

In contrast, Arden specifically asked that Manning should replace Robbie in China when the opportunity arose, having worked with him in F3000 days. Obviously that helps and explains to some extent the excellent results we have seen so far this weekend.

Yes, Robbie was BF3 Champion, but a few years earlier Darren was also a race winner in BF3. IIRC, he won the support race at the British GP two years running and since then has had much greater experience than Robbie.

With hindsight, when Darren lost his drive in the States (which was not his fault) the smart move would have been to grab him for Team GBR straightaway. IMO he is a better driver than Robbie and he is also far more marketable.
Old 1 Apr 2006, 22:19 (Ref:1567218)   #32
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Many drivers have been dumped by F1. Some just don't suit that discipline, sadly.

Doesn't make him any less a driver.

And his IRL dumping was nothing to do with ability.
Exactly, there lots of drivers out there who have not made it in F1 for various reasons over the last few years, none of them are bad drivers though, in fact most of them are very good drivers who just havent been given the breaks, Im reffering to people like Justin Wilson, Sebastian Bourdais, Tomas Enge, Bruno Junqeria, Giorgio Pantano, Richard Lyons, Ralph Firman, Nicholas Minassian, the list is almost endless.
Old 1 Apr 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1567244)   #33
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
PS Obviously touched a few nerves what with all the defensive posting going on!!!
Yeah, good luck with staying on 10 tenths with that kind of behavior.

I like Kerr, but Mannings a great choice and so far he is proving how good he is and I think GBR could be in with a great chance of a win this weekend!
Old 1 Apr 2006, 22:42 (Ref:1567246)   #34
Kebab
Racer

Believe me, I was not saying Darren was bad. I just don't see how you can judge two different drivers of different ages who have never raced in comparable equipment at the same time.

Its the same in F1 when someone says "Kimi is better than Alonso" - how on earth could they judge that fairly (unless you're inside a team or something)?

I want Darren to win tomorrow, believe me! I am, however, concerned for Kerr & Lloyd as this was supposed to help their career!

Perhaps everyone here knows a lot more about what's going on than I do by just being a fan & watching on TV and so I'm missing a trick ...
Old 1 Apr 2006, 22:45 (Ref:1567249)   #35
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I understand that kebab.

I'm not sure A1 GP really helps careers, in the way that Kerr and suchlike would desire. He should ideally be pushing for GP2 vacancies, funding permitting.

I get the impression staying in A1 GP too long leads to stagnation and I really don't think he should come back to it next season.
Old 1 Apr 2006, 22:46 (Ref:1567250)   #36
Kebab
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Yeah, good luck with staying on 10 tenths with that kind of behavior.
Blimey, I was only playing & being ironic - I didn't expect to get flamed for it!

Woe is me
Old 1 Apr 2006, 22:49 (Ref:1567256)   #37
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree Knowlesy, but then I beleive Kerr was rather short on funding at the time A1 GP was born so a GP2 drive would have been out of the question, A1 however does not require drivers to bring backing to a series and when John Surtees/Arden approached him it was really his best choice, and to be fair it has paid off for him it would seem. After all he is this year racing in WSR.

Generally speaking though I dont think A1 is a stepping stone for drivers wanting to make it into F1, its for guys that have left F1 for whatever reason and are currently out of contract and for young drivers in WSR/GP2/F3 who have nothing else to do over the winter months and have aspirations to making it into F1, A1 after all is a high profile series and if you perform well in it you are bound to attract interest.
Old 1 Apr 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1567260)   #38
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well that's the plus point there, it has kept Kerr active at least and in a moderate spotlight.

He could easily have done nothing.
Old 1 Apr 2006, 22:54 (Ref:1567263)   #39
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
Blimey, I was only playing & being ironic - I didn't expect to get flamed for it!

Woe is me
I must admit, I thought you were having a right go at people rather than playing.

Just use a winky next time and perhaps don't accuse me of sleeping with Darren Manning.

It is a horrible thought......brrr..
Old 1 Apr 2006, 22:55 (Ref:1567264)   #40
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Indeed, if you use the emotions in future Kebab it does help everyone to understand if you are joking or not. A lot can be lost in translation on the internet unfortunatly.
Old 1 Apr 2006, 23:00 (Ref:1567271)   #41
Kebab
Racer

I'm only small & I'd lose in a fight, so I don't go looking for them!! I learns me lesson!!

Group hug?
Old 1 Apr 2006, 23:05 (Ref:1567275)   #42
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

No, I'm too busy snuggling with Darren.
Old 1 Apr 2006, 23:07 (Ref:1567278)   #43
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
No, I'm too busy snuggling with Darren.
Old 2 Apr 2006, 04:44 (Ref:1567404)   #44
C.U.Motorsport
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coventry UK
C.U.Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next year will be informative as to, not only team/driver relationships, but whether people will start jumping on the bandwagon after its first initial season which IMO was succesful.

I have had talks with Brian Sims, Marketing director for team GBR and the general feeling is that of disapppointment at coming 3rd but since the majority of teams are run by, or contain english engineers, the whole series has been a showcase of Motorsport Valley and how it can effectivally create a whole new racing series.

I cant wait for shanghai. Ive returned home from uni to work on my dissertation but my folks aint got sky sports so I have ordered it on the net for the first time (Hence why I am up so early)
Old 2 Apr 2006, 05:31 (Ref:1567416)   #45
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Net-Ranger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Salvador Duran impress me more every time i see him, during the week the fastest in British F3 testing and some days after, making good performances here again...wow!!!
Old 2 Apr 2006, 06:04 (Ref:1567432)   #46
Kebab
Racer

Yeah, GB did well to keep him in 3rd! Duran seems one to watch.

I'd love to know what problems France had ...

Anyway, congrats to Team GB for confirming 3rd in the championship - woohuu!
Old 2 Apr 2006, 08:13 (Ref:1567568)   #47
madmed
Rookie

madmed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is the results of the feature race
http://130.117.162.12
Old 2 Apr 2006, 09:38 (Ref:1567665)   #48
Druid
Rookie

Druid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Gratz to team pakistan and adam khan for finally picking up some points. now we are ahead of china and japan and that is a good thing. I wouldnt say that this season has been a total sucess for team Pakistan but i m still satisfied with our position. 10 points is not bad for a team/country like pakistan with no motor sports history. I'd say this season was a good learning experience for Adam but from next season onwards adam needs to be more competitve and more consistent. I m sure he can make it to the podium atleast if not win a race. My expectation for next season are high and i m hoping(and expecting) adam/team pakistan to finish with atleast 30+ points.

Peace
Druid
Old 2 Apr 2006, 09:42 (Ref:1567669)   #49
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I reckon in the interests of parity they should get all the cars prepped by the mob that did Team France's and just interchange the drivers in the team cars
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Apr 2006, 11:58 (Ref:1567774)   #50
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just thought i would get on the band wagon before anyone else about team GBR's driver choice

So how many people did Darren actualy pass compared to who passed him, even with a "jump" on everyone else - yeah go Darren lets all out Robbie

quote of the day " i dont think it was the drivers problem for jumping the sart, it was due to the lights not going off quick enough" John Watson