Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Dec 2004, 20:25 (Ref:1178623)   #26
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gives you wings. And takes away the ability to use them.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 20:26 (Ref:1178626)   #27
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm actually surprised at how little that title sponsor deal is worth. I know that sounds strange, but McLaren are spending ~$300M per year and that's only ~$70M.

300 incuding the money invested by Mercedes . engines . etc .i think

forgot to quote

Last edited by Dani Filth; 13 Dec 2004 at 20:28.

Ciao Marco
Old 14 Dec 2004, 03:37 (Ref:1178883)   #28
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe this explains Kimi's recent behaviour.

Its all about mingling with the Johnnie Walker mob..
Old 14 Dec 2004, 04:09 (Ref:1178887)   #29
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the 36 million pound figure did not specify if that is yearly. I did not think it could be, until I went to their website and had a look at their financials. They can certainly afford it!

They wouldn't have to push the whiskey. They could use Smirnoff, or Captain Morgan, or even Guinness or Bailey's.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 04:33 (Ref:1178891)   #30
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Johnny Walker own Smirnoff ? Guiness ? and Baileys ?

Could this mean a similar situation to BAR and Jordan altering their tobacco sponsorship per country.

Johnny Walker at some GP's, Smirnoff at others, Guiness at one or two ??
Old 14 Dec 2004, 08:43 (Ref:1178958)   #31
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm...
If its JW, then they'll probably go livery-wise with Black Label, as its the most popular of their labels internationally speaking. So it'll probably be Black and gold
I'd expect a Lotus JPS-esque livery....hope so.

Additionally, if during a race JPM is low on fuel, he could always breath into the injection system...lol.

Cheers
Peter

Last edited by Lotusonpole; 14 Dec 2004 at 08:45.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:12 (Ref:1179039)   #32
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
So Johnny Walker own Smirnoff ? Guiness ? and Baileys ?

Could this mean a similar situation to BAR and Jordan altering their tobacco sponsorship per country.

Johnny Walker at some GP's, Smirnoff at others, Guiness at one or two ??

I don't think Ron Dennis would agree to that - he is too conservative for that.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:15 (Ref:1179042)   #33
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusonpole
Additionally, if during a race JPM is low on fuel, he could always breath into the injection system...lol.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1179161)   #34
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd expect the livery will be essentially the same as it is now - with Johnnie Walker logos in place of West.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 05:37 (Ref:1179733)   #35
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you might be right Kicking Back.

The silver is the principal West colour, so one might assume it to be changed to gold if its Black Label that's the key brand.
Although I still think a JPS-esque scheme might be a possibility as the box and label have fine gold pin-stripes over black

...both are not a million miles from the last one.

I think it can be relied upon that whatever the final scheme, it’ll be a classy one.

Cheers
Peter
Old 15 Dec 2004, 07:51 (Ref:1179773)   #36
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And to add on - there is also J Walker Gold - that's 18 years old whisky
Old 15 Dec 2004, 12:07 (Ref:1179928)   #37
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this what Kimi ordered in Gran Canaria?
Old 15 Dec 2004, 12:28 (Ref:1179943)   #38
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
as someone who assisted on the livery while at McLaren. The livery is a McLaren livery, not Mercedes and not West. At the time, West used Red and White and White and Gold (IIRC) packaging for their cigarettes. It was only later that West launched a Black and Silver airbrush style packageing.

Personally (and I'm guessing here), all that will happen if JW do appear, is that the White overalls will probably dissapear and have Jonnie Walker in place.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:30 (Ref:1180098)   #39
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Thanks for the info andy...
I hadn't realised the silver cig pack followed the "McLaren" livery.
I always thought, wrongly, the silver represented the German input...i.e. Mercedes and the West pack.
It'll still be interesting to see what they finally go for.
Still, if its a black scheme, it will be reasonably inexpensive to change...lol.

Cheers
Peter

Last edited by Lotusonpole; 15 Dec 2004 at 14:33.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 17:49 (Ref:1180340)   #40
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
well the silver was because of Mercedes as such, but nothing to do with West branding.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 09:54 (Ref:1197931)   #41
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
* bump*

It appears that Diageo have pulled out of the rumoured deal with McLaren.

Whiskey label 'Johnnie Walker' have pulled out despite coming close to a Formula One sponsor deal with McLaren or BAR, we can reveal.

But, according to a source, the Walker pull-out might be due to the legal confusion that could have resulted from the association of a motor racing company with hard liquor.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=73678

This is interesting as it has been suggested that alcohol sponsorship of F1 could take a similar path to tobacco in terms of acceptability.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 13:20 (Ref:1198075)   #42
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In reality then, the deal was never concrete, so it's fallen through, rather than being cancelled.

A shame - but I feel the end of tobacco will make F1 more attractive to other potential sponsors.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1198102)   #43
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
In reality then, the deal was never concrete, so it's fallen through, rather than being cancelled.

A shame - but I feel the end of tobacco will make F1 more attractive to other potential sponsors.
But possibly not drinks brands which appear to be heading the same was as tobacco in acceptability for motorsport and F1 in particular.

I also read that Red Bull have turned down an offer from Smirnoff to sponsor the team, as DM does not want to link Red Bull with alcohol on the car. He says no alcohol or tobacco brands (academic now) will be part of Red Bull in F1.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1198106)   #44
Kicking-back
Veteran

Mika Hakkinen carried Finlandia sponsorship - one of several vodkas to have been involved in F1 sponsorship - and I don't think Scotch whisky is considered any "harder" than vodka, so I still think there are opportunities.

I suspect part of the reason Red Bull knocked back Smirnoff was a wish not to be tied to a particular brand of alcohol.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1198117)   #45
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Looks like worries over potential legal issues

He (DM) added that Red Bull does not endorse the controversial, even illegal in some countries, mixing of the 'stimulant' drink with alcohol.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=73570
Old 11 Jan 2005, 15:59 (Ref:1198212)   #46
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
are they gonna sponsor kimi's boat as well

I must say i agree with Rich its okay to advertise and sell a product that is known to end in the deaths of other people but not one which only ends in the death of yourself i say buyer beware is itRover's job to say if you get in a car accident you might die in there commercials and not say a good thing about the car?
Old 11 Jan 2005, 16:01 (Ref:1198215)   #47
Kicking-back
Veteran

Cars don't kill people if used properly.

Alcohol doesn't kill people if used sensibly.

There is no way to "sensibly" smoke.

That's the difference.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1198243)   #48
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
Looks like worries over potential legal issues

He (DM) added that Red Bull does not endorse the controversial, even illegal in some countries, mixing of the 'stimulant' drink with alcohol.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=73570

What's so "controversial" about Redbull-Wodka?
It's delicious!
Old 12 Jan 2005, 03:53 (Ref:1198674)   #49
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A little off the main topic....

In basic terms, a stimulant, funnily enough, stimulates the body. This can include increased heart rate, sense of alertness, etc etc. It's just like an amphetamine, just on a smaller scale and not illegal in itself.

If you mix alcohol with a stimulant, the alcohol can have a more pronounced effect more quickly. It can keep you awake longer so you drink more without feeling it too bad. Small-scale speed users can drink people under the table, because whilst they get drunk quickly, they can keep drinking without the effects (tiredness, lack of co-ordination, etc) getting distincively worse. More alcohol consumed = more brain cells potentially killed. Also, once red bull wears off, the effects of alcohol come back and as you are really tanked...

In any case you shouldn't have too much stimulant because it can kill you - simple.

*wonders how to relate this to F1*

An example of alcohol and stimilant gone wrong would be the Kimi at the bar pictures that went around awhile ago...