Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Dec 2003, 08:51 (Ref:804503)   #1
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HYL Gets A New Driver

Rumour has it on the Holden Motor Sport grapevine that HYL has acquired itself a new driver for 2004.

Out of favour GRM driver Jamie Whincup has inked a deal to drive the lead HYL car in the 2004 Konica V8 Supercar series alongside a yet-to-be-named steerer.

Whincup, 27th in this years V8 Supercar main series presented by Victoria Bitter and Bigpond, has endured a difficult year in the number 33 GRM Repco Valvoline Cummins VX Commodore, involved in a number of ontrack incidents which caused his replacement at GRM in 2004 with Cameron McConville.

It seems that Garry Rogers brokered a deal with Holden Motor Sport boss Ray Borrett to allow Whincup the opportunity to gain more circuit experience at the wheel of a Holden in the Supercar category.

The arrangement would see Whincup take his former spot in the number 33 GRM Repco Valvoline Cummins VY Commodore for the Sandown and Bathurst endurance races.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 09:00 (Ref:804508)   #2
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If that's true it's a good plan. The guy has a lot of potential but of course that means nothing until it's proven. This way, instead of just dumping him on his preverbial, they're willing to nuture the talent rather than let it waste away.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 10:14 (Ref:804558)   #3
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you hung out the "gone fishin" sign?

Last edited by sevi; 5 Dec 2003 at 10:16.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 10:42 (Ref:804579)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting news True Believer. Whincup could probably use a season in the minnow series to sharpen up his racecraft, which has been lacking in the main series, exacerbated no doubt by the car he got stuck with for the year.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Dec 2003, 11:18 (Ref:804613)   #5
Sol
Racer

Sol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Holden pay for Whincup to drive for JFR? I tought that the 2003 SORFs coughed up plenty for the honour and Holden not much during 2003 for this team?
Old 5 Dec 2003, 11:30 (Ref:804627)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Both 2003 HYL drivers contributed to the team budget in a small way, certainly not the full cost of the ride. This is part of the HYL development plan, to learn how to service and maintain a sponsor, as has been explained at length many times.

If you noticed, on the Monaros, the Cummins brand appeared on the 2 cars in 2003. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that with the withdrawal of the Monaros, that this or indeed the Just Car sponsorship isnt used by GRM/Holden for its own ends.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 13:34 (Ref:804746)   #7
barra
Racer

barra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can he drive in Konicas in 2004, i thought you weren't eligable for Konica if you had raced in main game the season before, hence Crompton taking a year off
Old 5 Dec 2003, 15:11 (Ref:804830)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Then again, Thexton raced in both this season.

GTR - Monaro withdrawal?

Last edited by racer69; 5 Dec 2003 at 15:12.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 21:16 (Ref:805142)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
A driver who finishes in 26th and worse position in the main series is eligible for Konica the next season. Whincup finished 27th so is safe.

And the Monaros are apparently up for sale, Holden not running them officially in the future, and not to be run by GRM.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 21:28 (Ref:805156)   #10
Zinger
Racer

Zinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does this open the door for Team Brock Monaro's
Old 5 Dec 2003, 21:32 (Ref:805160)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I think this is how the Team Brock Monaro scenario will happen. Just who runs the cars for Team Brock remains a mystery
Old 5 Dec 2003, 22:28 (Ref:805196)   #12
bondy_racing
Racer

Australia
Sydney,NSW,Australia
bondy_racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could the "yet to be named steerer" be Neil McFadyen?
#28 Arrow Australia, Hurst Race Engines, Kart One Racing, Sik-Fx Helmet Painting
Old 5 Dec 2003, 22:57 (Ref:805214)   #13
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You mean you haven't figured out the Monaro drivers yet?!?

That does make sense as I couldn't see them building two more for TB.

And when will people realise that FFord teaches drivers as many bad habits as good? Whincup, like so many others straight out of FFord need something in between to give them a better grasp of aero grip, slick tyres, faster lap times, etc.

They just aren't the be all and end all of "training grounds" that's for sure.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 00:09 (Ref:805260)   #14
vortexo
Veteran

vortexo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
A driver who finishes in 26th and worse position in the main series is eligible for Konica the next season. Whincup finished 27th so is safe.

And the Monaros are apparently up for sale, Holden not running them officially in the future, and not to be run by GRM.
Was this planned ????????????????
Old 6 Dec 2003, 00:22 (Ref:805268)   #15
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon Rogers is just keeping him on ice til Tander moves elsewhere in 2005. It won't hurt to have him do a year in Konica.
Old 28 Dec 2003, 22:54 (Ref:822025)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So is there any news about this yet?

You would have thought Mr Whincup would have announced something so his legions of supporters would know what team he is racing with in 2004?

Especially if it is correct that GRM are still contractually obligated to find Whincup a drive in 2004, even if it is not with their team!!
Old 28 Dec 2003, 23:11 (Ref:822044)   #17
TheGspot
Racer

TheGspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heh GTR even those that know are not talking about thois one.
Old 28 Dec 2003, 23:13 (Ref:822047)   #18
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It sounds messy....Will we see Whincup in a Monaro for a season?
Old 28 Dec 2003, 23:27 (Ref:822056)   #19
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just Do It, No.
Old 28 Dec 2003, 23:41 (Ref:822075)   #20
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ok. Hmmmm, whats the deal then?
Old 29 Dec 2003, 02:42 (Ref:822208)   #21
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Taxi driver in down town Melbourne?
Old 29 Dec 2003, 03:00 (Ref:822214)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Ford own a few apparently... used to test driveline components
Old 29 Dec 2003, 09:11 (Ref:822405)   #23
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it would be good for whincup to race hyl/jfr in 04 - not that he was any worse than paul dumbrell in 03..... how many years should a driver spend in konica before stepping up to v8 supercar
Old 29 Dec 2003, 09:48 (Ref:822442)   #24
Just Do It!
Veteran

Is a current Supercar contender able to revert straight back into Konica? Thexton can't next year, much to his disgust no doubt.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 09:53 (Ref:822444)   #25
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yeah but whincup has a seemingly bright future