Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Oct 2021, 20:21 (Ref:4079151)   #8801
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tique View Post
As the ex-LMP1 car will be still eligible for 2022. I wonder if it will better for Penske to run an ex-R13 rather than an Oreca 07. At least, they will have more freedom for their driver (no silver mandatory) and the running cost between those two cars should not be significant I think
I guess the running costs there would keep that option off the table. Plus they could run an Oreca on both sides of the pond to give those squads practice.
Old 19 Oct 2021, 22:27 (Ref:4079180)   #8802
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Availability and support? If wec race practice is what you're after, why complicate matters with the car? Keep it simple.
Old 20 Oct 2021, 01:03 (Ref:4079190)   #8803
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm sure Porsche would MUCH rather they run the Multimatic chassis they're building off of then a different car. Penske never plays with his own money so Porsche is likely chipping in for some of it and drivers

I'm sure Porsche can manage to find a way to build a chassis for the effort if needed.
Old 20 Oct 2021, 01:05 (Ref:4079191)   #8804
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Similar to Tandy, Bamber too has put himself out of contention for a drive in the Porsche LMDh by defecting to Cadillac
Wonder if he was already told he wasn't in the running and went for a confirmed seat when available. Or it was just the first available seat to make sure you've got one
Old 20 Oct 2021, 04:51 (Ref:4079199)   #8805
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Penske Testing Oreca LMP2 At IMS Today
https://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/...ims-today.html
Old 20 Oct 2021, 06:59 (Ref:4079203)   #8806
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Similar to Tandy, Bamber too has put himself out of contention for a drive in the Porsche LMDh by defecting to Cadillac
That is a bit of an assumption about Tandy being out of contention is it not?
Old 20 Oct 2021, 07:50 (Ref:4079207)   #8807
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Has Tandy actually said anything about not driving for Porsche then?
Old 20 Oct 2021, 09:56 (Ref:4079222)   #8808
Steve McQ
Racer

France
Steve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No but he is a full time Corvette factory driver. I think that is effectively pulling him out of contention for a Porsche factory seat.
Old 14 Jan 2022, 17:06 (Ref:4093755)   #8809
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://twitter.com/PorscheRaces/sta...34776332816393

An actual, moving Porsche LMDh.
Old 14 Jan 2022, 17:34 (Ref:4093762)   #8810
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have to say I like it, front shape of the car is very similiar to the porsche concept car seen in gran turismo 7 trailers. It sounds very aggressive which is great considering how quiet 919 used to be
Old 14 Jan 2022, 19:52 (Ref:4093773)   #8811
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Great looking car.
Old 15 Jan 2022, 15:12 (Ref:4093853)   #8812
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Sounds quiet on the fly by video but in the pull up to the pits it wasn't that bad. The front of the car looks like the 911s in GTE IMO.
Old 15 Jan 2022, 19:41 (Ref:4093893)   #8813
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Sounds quiet on the fly by video but in the pull up to the pits it wasn't that bad. The front of the car looks like the 911s in GTE IMO.
Don't read too much into it. Solo test videos are always misleading in terms of sound. I remember the i6 turbo Aston P1 sounding absolutely epic in a Monza test video. Later, mixed with other cars it was barely audible at all. Then exactly the same repeated with the turbocharged Vantage GTE.
Old 16 Jan 2022, 09:37 (Ref:4093970)   #8814
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's just a shakedown, nothing more. Can't wait to see it driven in anger for the first time. Hopefully it won't sound too bad compared to the others.
Old 17 Jan 2022, 19:51 (Ref:4094165)   #8815
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can anything be read into it that Fred Mako is the driver that was chosen to do the shakedown?

Plenty of rumours on this site that he moved to Porsche to try get an LMP1 seat, but obviously he missed out on one then. Second time lucky?
Old 17 Jan 2022, 20:33 (Ref:4094167)   #8816
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Can anything be read into it that Fred Mako is the driver that was chosen to do the shakedown?

Plenty of rumours on this site that he moved to Porsche to try get an LMP1 seat, but obviously he missed out on one then. Second time lucky?

As far I remember it was Bruni who decided to move to Porsche after rejecting the same offer the season before because of the prospect of driving 919. Between WEC and IMSA porsche will need 8 full season drivers and 4 extra drivers for 12/24H races. Not to consider that work drivers could be sent here and there if porsche lmdh will be made availabe for privaters.
Old 17 Jan 2022, 20:45 (Ref:4094171)   #8817
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I think Mako has better chances now than then.

Porsche doesn't have thát many drivers with lots of (recent) prototype experience.
I'd think Cameron and Nasr are quite certain: recent proto experience + test drivers.

Who else do they have:
* Jani and Lotterer? both are getting older?
* Yifei Ye -> rather inexperienced but he was THE man in the WRT #41 LMS car last year IMO
* Pilet -> did some LMP2 racing last year

Anyone else?
Maybe we should keep an eye on Porsche factory drivers doing some LMP-one-offs here and there.
Either because they want to prove themselves or because Porsche want to see what they can do in an LMP-car.

-

I think the plan is definitely to make the LMDh available to customers.
Proton/Ried surely will want one/some ?
Old 17 Jan 2022, 20:53 (Ref:4094174)   #8818
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Campbell and Jaminet I read had seats but unconfirmed.

Where did I read that...? I can't remember
Old 17 Jan 2022, 21:29 (Ref:4094177)   #8819
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
I think Mako has better chances now than then.

Porsche doesn't have thát many drivers with lots of (recent) prototype experience.
I'd think Cameron and Nasr are quite certain: recent proto experience + test drivers.

Who else do they have:
* Jani and Lotterer? both are getting older?
* Yifei Ye -> rather inexperienced but he was THE man in the WRT #41 LMS car last year IMO
* Pilet -> did some LMP2 racing last year

Anyone else?
Maybe we should keep an eye on Porsche factory drivers doing some LMP-one-offs here and there.
Either because they want to prove themselves or because Porsche want to see what they can do in an LMP-car.

-

I think the plan is definitely to make the LMDh available to customers.
Proton/Ried surely will want one/some ?
Proton/Ried main business is in GT-AM, don't know how they could be realistically interested to jump on prototypes... lmdh to me will be more related to top lmp2 teams like WRT, jota or united than other teams that rely on paying drivers as their core business.
About porsche, cameron and nasr will be likely involved in IMSA program considering they are both former champions.
About other drivers I think Estre will be picked up on prototypes.
Jani is still a work porsche driver, I can't see many alternative for him, he will be a lmdh driver or will be sent to am teams.
Pilet and Lotterer are not in their best days anymore, I don't expect their names are in top5 of porsche candidates.
Old 17 Jan 2022, 21:39 (Ref:4094179)   #8820
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Estre and Vanthoor surely are in with a good chance?

Estre / Vanthoor / Cameron / Nasr / Mako are the most likely to me

A lot of their GT3 guys are getting pretty old now
Old 18 Jan 2022, 09:32 (Ref:4094225)   #8821
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
I'll say it again - Lotterer's time has passed. I think Jani will actually have an important role to play, albeit not necessarily in a factory seat. Who better to mentor Yifei Ye than a member of Ye's host family who also has significant LMP experience?

Similarly to Bruni, Vanthoor probably had an eye on the 919 when he moved to Porsche. He seems to have made a good name for himself in America, I think he'll be given a go soon enough, with a view to being added to the IMSA roster.
Old 18 Jan 2022, 09:43 (Ref:4094227)   #8822
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
I'll say it again - Lotterer's time has passed. I think Jani will actually have an important role to play, albeit not necessarily in a factory seat. Who better to mentor Yifei Ye than a member of Ye's host family who also has significant LMP experience?

Similarly to Bruni, Vanthoor probably had an eye on the 919 when he moved to Porsche. He seems to have made a good name for himself in America, I think he'll be given a go soon enough, with a view to being added to the IMSA roster.
I agree, Lotterer was at his prime during 2011-2014, in that period he was simply the best sportscars driver around, audi won 2011 and 2014 LM mostly because of his crazy stints. He was still a top driver up to 2017 maybe, but now he just lost speed of his best days.
Estre and Vanthoor are porsche best GT drivers by now (Estre is on a league on his own among all GT drivers) and I think both will drive in lmdh.
Old 18 Jan 2022, 10:58 (Ref:4094242)   #8823
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
lotterer has been a massive liability in formula e at increasingly frequent times too.

has estre run in prototypes before? obviously it's not really an issue in the slightest when you're just *that good*, just wondering.
Old 18 Jan 2022, 11:40 (Ref:4094250)   #8824
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

has estre run in prototypes before? obviously it's not really an issue in the slightest when you're just *that good*, just wondering.
No, don't think so. He would have no trouble stepping into a car running at 2020 LMP2 pace.
Old 18 Jan 2022, 11:42 (Ref:4094251)   #8825
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
lotterer has been a massive liability in formula e at increasingly frequent times too.

Estre and Laurens Vanthoor had a run together at Le Mans in P2 back in 2015 for Oak/Ligier. Can't remember too much about it in terms of pace.

I think like you say Estre would be on it immediately in the top class.