Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 19 Oct 2021, 17:59 (Ref:4079132)   #151
Tique
Racer

France
Paris
Tique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be good if they can adjust the tank capacity otherwise, it will be too easy for Toyota. I wonder if we will see one or two Alpine A480
Old 19 Oct 2021, 20:17 (Ref:4079150)   #152
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tique View Post
It will be good if they can adjust the tank capacity otherwise, it will be too easy for Toyota. I wonder if we will see one or two Alpine A480
I think they have 2 chassis, but acquired the 2nd one for spares.
Old 19 Oct 2021, 21:26 (Ref:4079168)   #153
Tique
Racer

France
Paris
Tique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have two chassis. One ex-Rebellion and a brand new one
Old 19 Oct 2021, 22:24 (Ref:4079178)   #154
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
With my tinfoil hat on, I don't think the rules would allow the car to be truly competitive against a true factory effort even without the tank size conundrum.

Aco hasn't cared about that for a long time.
Old 19 Oct 2021, 22:35 (Ref:4079181)   #155
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ll they probably realise the fuel tank size is not their fault. The only thing that they could do is compensate for Alpines inability to make a suitable car by ruining the balance elsewhere. Sorry you don’t have enough fuel to compete with Toyota so we will allow you to have less weight or more power or whatever. That is a mugs game and the sort of thing that will vary more by track and likely get long.

Keeping the alignment of stint lengths from speed separate is probably something the ACO are keen to do. Otherwise people will just whinge about something else.

Also let’s remember Alipne did manage to increase their tank ACO did also tweak the energy per stint for them too. Not really sure how that will pan out at places other than Le Mans.
Old 20 Oct 2021, 10:08 (Ref:4079223)   #156
greenmachinets040
Racer

Serbia
Backa Topola
greenmachinets040 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Between the lines Alpine should be punished further now that they have been allowed to compete one more year...come on, this is ridiculous.
Old 20 Oct 2021, 11:27 (Ref:4079226)   #157
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The car is pretty much on the pace. It’s the stint length that’s the problem. I presume that is still limited by the physical size of the tank not the energy allowed in the regs.

Ridiculous they are using an old car that they can’t make fit the new regs?

I’m all for them fitting the right tank and having the parity there.
Old 20 Oct 2021, 13:32 (Ref:4079242)   #158
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Giving them another year is a bit of a nonsense, although I appreciate that it's good to have more cars on the grid. I wonder if an American or British team would have been given the same leeway. Someone get the Ginetta bloke on the phone!
Old 20 Oct 2021, 17:36 (Ref:4079268)   #159
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the ACO knows they've got to be prepared for the fact that Peugeot might bottle it and not enter much of the '22 season. There's a danger next season could end up leaner than this one in the top class if things don't fall right. So I can see why they made the decision.
Old 21 Oct 2021, 10:44 (Ref:4079331)   #160
greenmachinets040
Racer

Serbia
Backa Topola
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The car is pretty much on the pace. It’s the stint length that’s the problem. I presume that is still limited by the physical size of the tank not the energy allowed in the regs.

You expressed yourself in the right way: "ridiculous they are using an old car" - Ridiculous and a shame. They should not be given a real chance to win...
Old 21 Oct 2021, 11:08 (Ref:4079335)   #161
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Indeed. Not impossible to imagine Hypercar next year being two Toyotas if Alpine weren't allowed back.
Old 21 Oct 2021, 11:12 (Ref:4079336)   #162
greenmachinets040
Racer

Serbia
Backa Topola
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Indeed. Not impossible to imagine Hypercar next year being two Toyotas if Alpine weren't allowed back.
I honestly do not know what is Glickenhaus s problem. Instead of improving their cars, they began to complain about the fairness and threatening the ACO to withdraw for next year. Did they think they would be privileged to win from the get-go? Sorry, but this is a typical american thinking, with all respect to James.
Old 21 Oct 2021, 12:20 (Ref:4079342)   #163
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachinets040 View Post
You expressed yourself in the right way: "ridiculous they are using an old car" - Ridiculous and a shame. They should not be given a real chance to win...
Ah, I misunderstood what you were annoyed about!

It would be nice for the class to be only the new cars, but I think ACO’s pragmatic approach is suitable for these few years.
Old 21 Oct 2021, 13:43 (Ref:4079346)   #164
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I thought that they already had a larger tank following a dispensation?

'Alpine boss Philippe Sinault has revealed that the marque competed in the 24 Hours of Le Mans with an increased fuel tank.'

Sinault was pressed on the changes made after race by reporters in the Le Mans paddock, at which point he unveiled that the team had its fuel tank capacity increased.

“With a hard job from Gibson [engine supplier], with a hard job with my power management and so on, and with the fuel tank,” he said.

When he was asked the follow-up questions to confirm it the team had its fuel tank size increased, Sinault replied: “Yes.”
Old 21 Oct 2021, 14:58 (Ref:4079353)   #165
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Yes.
Quote:
Also let’s remember Alipne did manage to increase their tank. ACO did also tweak the energy per stint for them too. Not really sure how that will pan out at places other than Le Mans.
Although don’t know exactly where that leaves them. I presume it is still physical fuel tank limited rather than rules limited as Toyota and Glickenhaus are.

Based on the stint lengths it left them 1 lap short (IIRC) at Le Mans. Don’t know what that will mean elsewhere. Was it an entire lap behind, just part of a lap, or more than a lap.
Old 21 Oct 2021, 15:39 (Ref:4079363)   #166
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Probably leaves them like Audi in the ALMS vs Porsche in 2007--they had the performance to win most of the races they lost, but they lost quite a few that year due to often needing a splash of fuel when the Porsche's didn't.

That of course was due to trying to equal the Audi R10 to roughly the same stint lenghts at other LMP1 cars (hence the R10 getting nurfed from 90 liters to 81 liters) and the ACO maybe not expecting the then ALMS exclusive RS Spyder 2007 upgrades bringing that car into LMP1 laptime territory at several ALMS tracks (not to mention that Penske ran all pro driver lineups with mostly Porsche factory drivers).

So sort of apples and oranges for the reasons, though the outcome is very much the same.
Old 21 Oct 2021, 15:40 (Ref:4079364)   #167
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes.

Although don’t know exactly where that leaves them. I presume it is still physical fuel tank limited rather than rules limited as Toyota and Glickenhaus are.

Based on the stint lengths it left them 1 lap short (IIRC) at Le Mans. Don’t know what that will mean elsewhere. Was it an entire lap behind, just part of a lap, or more than a lap.
Missed your post in my first read through -

Yes - I suspect the may be on the cusp of being tank size or energy limited depending on the circuit layouts...
Old 25 Oct 2021, 10:38 (Ref:4079900)   #168
greenmachinets040
Racer

Serbia
Backa Topola
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I thought that they already had a larger tank following a dispensation?

'Alpine boss Philippe Sinault has revealed that the marque competed in the 24 Hours of Le Mans with an increased fuel tank.'

Sinault was pressed on the changes made after race by reporters in the Le Mans paddock, at which point he unveiled that the team had its fuel tank capacity increased.

“With a hard job from Gibson [engine supplier], with a hard job with my power management and so on, and with the fuel tank,” he said.

When he was asked the follow-up questions to confirm it the team had its fuel tank size increased, Sinault replied: “Yes.”
Now that is called dirty tactics. They left the whole World wondering how could they stretch they fuei mileage further to promote the knowledge and the "Renault Magic" that they made so efficient changes ...a Shame.

What is going on with the homologation then??

If they were beaten to this extent by the bleeding Toyotas with a larger fuel tank, what are they hoping for the next year?
Old 25 Oct 2021, 12:09 (Ref:4079915)   #169
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
To be on the starting grid, and make the finish.

All the effort is going to go into the LMDh, so as long as BoP keeps their car vaguely competitive, that will do.

After all, that is one of the main reasons in the interest in Hypercar/LMDh.

Did I say the quiet part out loud ...?
Old 29 Oct 2021, 10:52 (Ref:4080543)   #170
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe not news but official confirmation that Alpine will continue with the A480 next year.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...1-car-in-2022/
Old 29 Oct 2021, 13:07 (Ref:4080555)   #171
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Maybe not news but official confirmation that Alpine will continue with the A480 next year.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...1-car-in-2022/
The article does confirm the same driver squad will be retained. Also a strange mention of possibly going back to P2 for '23 just to keep the team together and well rehearsed. That would require a driver shuffle though.
Old 14 Jun 2022, 12:51 (Ref:4115543)   #172
Mike E
Veteran

Alpine are targeting a 2 car entry in LMP2 for 2023. The plan is to maintain momentum with the team and also have a second squad of mechanics and engineers ready for a two car Hypercar program in 2024.

Their request for a third season with the A480 was turned down.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ram-next-year/
Old 14 Jun 2022, 13:55 (Ref:4115553)   #173
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Can they manage it alongside their F1 program? I suppose it's possible, although it won't be easy. Running one car is hard enough, but upgrading to two cars isn't as easy as it sounds. It's a shame they can't run their A480 for another season, although I understand why
Old 14 Jun 2022, 14:10 (Ref:4115559)   #174
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault is pushing to give a fresh new sport identity to the alpine brand, a 2 lmdh program is all about how much budget signatech and oreca will receive. But in general, managment and operative cost of lmdhs should be much lower than the ones of a lmp1 car. Probably there will be nothing to actually invest in development if alpine lmdh will keep on using the 4.5L gibson.
Old 14 Jun 2022, 14:35 (Ref:4115569)   #175
peetleouf
Rookie

France
Drôme
peetleouf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alpine will develop his own motor in Viry-Chatillon :

Quote:
Le moteur Alpine sera développé ?* Viry-Châtillon. Il recevra toute l’expertise de l’équipe présente en Formule 1. La carrosserie sera quant ?* elle conçue en partenariat avec Enstone.

Quote:
The Alpine engine will be developed at Viry-Châtillon. It will receive all the expertise of the team present in Formula 1. The bodywork will be designed in partnership with Enstone.