Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Dec 2021, 13:42 (Ref:4086435)   #26
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
The sporting contest cannot be divorced from the setting in which it’s being held?
It’s sporting whitewash and this discussion and your comments prove the point?
I love how it's ONLY the Mid-East that promotes such complaints. I did not see you pop up to complain about any other regime during the season. Me thinks your complaint has zero to do with actual activities in the country and instead just being in the country
Old 3 Dec 2021, 14:00 (Ref:4086436)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Everyone can seem a hypocrite. Especially if talking about Motorsport on a Motorsport forum is deemed hypocritical. So the solution for this, if you’re up for it john, is not to superficially point out the hypocrisy of others, but to promote proper discussion on the actual subject. Parc Ferme would be a perfect place.

This thread can remain for the on track action. We’ve discussed too much of this (it isn’t the actual subject!) in this thread now.
Old 3 Dec 2021, 14:05 (Ref:4086438)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When is practice?
Old 3 Dec 2021, 14:15 (Ref:4086439)   #29
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
so let's hope the "grenade" Mercedes unit holds out for this weekend and Hamilton can get another win for a real showdown

Hamilton is using the Brazil engine, which he didn't last weekend, isn't he? So a one-race-old engine shouldn't "grenade".....
Old 3 Dec 2021, 14:20 (Ref:4086442)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Hamilton and Verstappen are quickest. I like it.

Edit: bit of a change. Both Mercs at the top. That’s fine too. Still be who wins in the decider!
Old 3 Dec 2021, 15:12 (Ref:4086456)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Back to 1-2. In the more interesting order too.

Still only practice. Plenty of time for Bottas and Perez to get to the top
Old 3 Dec 2021, 15:40 (Ref:4086459)   #32
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The top 3 are predictable enough. Apart from that, that Giovanazzi kid is quick. Or perhaps we shouldn't read too much into the times just yet.
Old 3 Dec 2021, 16:24 (Ref:4086464)   #33
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
A tribute to Frank Williams in Saudi,what a crazy suggestion!
He was a pivotable figure in F1 and it would be laughable to do anything other than to go round in circles then get out of the place.
I have no idea what Frank Williams would have made of all of this. But as you have raised this point possibly as a response to my question about whether or not there will be a tribute to Frank Williams this weekend, you may be interested to know that the Williams F1 team used to be sponsored by a state owned Saudi Arabian airline.
Old 3 Dec 2021, 16:43 (Ref:4086466)   #34
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes Fly saudia , so he had no problems taking their money

Old 3 Dec 2021, 16:44 (Ref:4086467)   #35
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://twitter.com/F1/status/146679...hZSbOByow&s=19

A better indication of the track from onboard.
Old 3 Dec 2021, 17:22 (Ref:4086468)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
yes Fly saudia , so he had no problems taking their money

TAG or Techniques d'Avant Garde, whose logo appeared on the side of the cockpit, were another Saudi company.

As for the GP itself and whether Max will or won't become WDC, we will just have to wait and see, to coin a phrase. However with Lewis's current form, I don't see him finishing outside of the top 5 and so this will go down to the wire at Yas Marina.
Old 3 Dec 2021, 18:03 (Ref:4086470)   #37
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
glad Leclerc is ok.

looked pretty bad though.
Old 3 Dec 2021, 19:12 (Ref:4086476)   #38
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Leclerc incident taken into account, I still find it difficult to fathom how these circuits pass the FIA safety regs. When you look at the changes enforced onto other permanent circuits it makes a mockery when you see corners on tracks like this with a profile resembling 1980s Tamburello lined with nothing more than a wall.

I do wonder what actually is the criteria for a grade 1 circuit because it seems like there is massive double standards, super strict for race tracks, anything goes for street circuits.
Old 3 Dec 2021, 19:17 (Ref:4086477)   #39
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Leclerc incident taken into account, I still find it difficult to fathom how these circuits pass the FIA safety regs. When you look at the changes enforced onto other permanent circuits it makes a mockery when you see corners on tracks like this with a profile resembling 1980s Tamburello lined with nothing more than a wall.

I do wonder what actually is the criteria for a grade 1 circuit because it seems like there is massive double standards, super strict for race tracks, anything goes for street circuits.
https://wtf1.com/post/what-does-it-take-to-be-an-fia-grade-1-circuit/
Old 3 Dec 2021, 19:52 (Ref:4086479)   #40
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Sodemo, on a related note, I'm wondering how Ozarks Int'l Raceway gets a Grade 2.

As to the matter at hand, I mean, there have to be some concessions to street circuits, or else you couldn't have any at all.

And of course, what do you do about "parkland circuits" like Melbourne and Montreal?

TBH, Martin Brundle suffered a decidedly worse crash than Leclerc at Melbourne, and Kubica likewise at Montreal.

My first example, Ozarks here in the States, has me wondering about permanent circuits as well. Speaking of which, that line really seems to be blurring in F1. It sure looks like a lot of the stuff at Jeddah was made to purpose, and I mean, even Monaco has a permanent pit lane. About 20% of Singapore was purpose built. I'll have to check on Baku again, but just at a glance, it's clear the road markings have been ground/blasted away for the Grand Prix.
Old 3 Dec 2021, 20:57 (Ref:4086489)   #41
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can anyone point to regulation X and say this wall was moved for safety on a permanent circuit why are we allowing it here? Cause I'll be glad to listen but it doesn't appear anyone can provide anything other than bemoaning the risk but then proceeding to dump on EVERY permanent circuit for not being aggressive enough and the danger is gone. Pick one horse or just shut up.

The track itself from the actual cars footage, not keyboard critics who've never done more than 100 in a car or designed a track, looks a bit meh but it is new. I got the chance to catch some F1 and F2, definitely a lot of feeling it out so skewed in the first session. Every session start will be a bit slow with dust, asked my dad about the dust cover as he worked over in Jeddah, said expect every bit off line to be covered quickly and any down time to make a mess. Seems to be a decent time trial race but come lap traffic it could be a mess.

If it is a meh procession ala Monaco it will be tough to sell again to fans. Monaco is kind of expected and a bit tolerated as a money maker for the teams to press the flesh and market but it can be a tough watch. Jeddah is kinda the same thing but zero of the history and you don't know who the rich guys they target are. Willing to give it a run but like Monaco if it's meh action the FF option will be used often I think. At least 2x I think for SC/red flag depending on the mess, feels like the first 3 laps have potential for a NASCAR style big one
Old 4 Dec 2021, 00:28 (Ref:4086502)   #42
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
TAG or Techniques d'Avant Garde, whose logo appeared on the side of the cockpit, were another Saudi company.

As for the GP itself and whether Max will or won't become WDC, we will just have to wait and see, to coin a phrase. However with Lewis's current form, I don't see him finishing outside of the top 5 and so this will go down to the wire at Yas Marina.
And not to mention the Bin Laden family sponsorship.

Yep, that Bin Laden family.
Old 4 Dec 2021, 08:51 (Ref:4086527)   #43
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
It sure looks like a lot of the stuff at Jeddah was made to purpose, and I mean, even Monaco has a permanent pit lane. About 20% of Singapore was purpose built. I'll have to check on Baku again, but just at a glance, it's clear the road markings have been ground/blasted away for the Grand Prix.
There’s little permanent about the Monaco pit lane.

Last edited by peebee2; 4 Dec 2021 at 09:03.
Old 4 Dec 2021, 10:21 (Ref:4086534)   #44
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Seems Merc have got the edge this weekend. Max might not get the backup with Perez if practice is anything to go by

Big hit for Leclerc, but thankfully him and the car should be alright for qualifying and the race

Just wish Williams could find a bit more pace this weekend
Old 4 Dec 2021, 10:38 (Ref:4086536)   #45
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC Frog
And the fact that it has only been approved the day before practice is considerably more worrying.
That's more or less the case for all temporary street circuits. The build finishes, the inspection happens, any changes that need to be made are made, the inspection happens again, the circuit is signed off. It's not like it can be built and inspected six months in advance - it's on the public highway.

Nothing to see here, really.
Old 4 Dec 2021, 10:58 (Ref:4086539)   #46
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
That's more or less the case for all temporary street circuits. The build finishes, the inspection happens, any changes that need to be made are made, the inspection happens again, the circuit is signed off. It's not like it can be built and inspected six months in advance - it's on the public highway.

Nothing to see here, really.
Agreed.

We regularly see issues at other temporary circuits that require work during the weekend.

Monaco drain covers?
Old 4 Dec 2021, 15:19 (Ref:4086562)   #47
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So... FP3 was interesting.

I suspect a minimum speed or absolute maximum lap or sector time will be imposed in future, given the multiple close calls with slow cars during the session.

I like the track though. Having watched the F2 sprint race earlier, it's a real challenge - some of the direction changes are incredible.
Old 4 Dec 2021, 16:19 (Ref:4086575)   #48
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Oh dear.

Hamilton summoned to stewards for alleged yellow flag infringement.
Old 4 Dec 2021, 16:45 (Ref:4086579)   #49
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
maFIA bias comments in 3, 2, 1,........
Old 4 Dec 2021, 16:50 (Ref:4086581)   #50
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Please move along, nothing to see here. Now we wait for the impeding charge to be decided...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA Decision Document 20
The Stewards heard from the driver of Car 44 (Lewis Hamilton), the team
representative and have reviewed video and the marshalling system.
The Race Director reported to the Stewards that the double yellow flag warning on the
FIA Marshalling System was activated at Light Panel Number 6 accidentally, for less
than 1 second. As the on-board video of Car 44 (to be released by the Commercial
Rights Holder following this Decision) clearly shows, there was no yellow flag
displayed, no yellow lights were displayed to that driver and the yellow warning light
was not visible on the driver’s steering wheel.
Unlike other incidents this year, there was no yellow flag or yellow light displayed to
the driver (the driver already being well into the marshalling sector when the system
was briefly activated) hence no breach of the regulations has occurred.