Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Jul 2020, 17:30 (Ref:3987709)   #6851
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Try looking up the definitions of both and then you will see the similarities. Like I said as far as insurance is concerned they just have the odds stacked in their favour.
You're arguing over semantics but insurance companies don't really gamble at all.

Take this example. I pay you to deliver goods to me, and there is a 99% they will reach me. We agree £10 is a fair price for the delivery, but to factor in the chance of the goods not reaching me, I pay you 0.99*£10 = £9.90.

Now there are 2 outcomes here. Either I receive the goods and save 10 pence, or I lose £9.90 and get nothing. Still two very extreme outcomes. As I am only going to run this transaction once, I will see one of two extremes.

However, an insurance company will deal with millions of these transactions, and 1% of them will still fail. However, the law of large numbers means that I can predict with extremely high accuracy how many deliveries will fail and therefore my expected profit from these million transactions is almost a certainty.

It's the entire basis upon which the insurance industry works.

Gambling is almost the exact opposite of this process, deliberately exposing yourself to one of the extreme outcomes (in most cases, either losing your entire stake or making a substantial profit).
Old 12 Jul 2020, 18:01 (Ref:3987711)   #6852
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Gambling is almost the exact opposite of this process, deliberately exposing yourself to one of the extreme outcomes (in most cases, either losing your entire stake or making a substantial profit).
Exactly.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 18:49 (Ref:3987721)   #6853
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Christ this has been an extraordinarily long silly season.

How do we see the Hyundais faring?
Old 12 Jul 2020, 19:18 (Ref:3987725)   #6854
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Christ this has been an extraordinarily long silly season.

How do we see the Hyundais faring?
Genuinely not a clue. But they look fast when they're standing still. Hopefully they'll go good too.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 19:30 (Ref:3987728)   #6855
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
You're arguing over semantics but insurance companies don't really gamble at all.

Take this example. I pay you to deliver goods to me, and there is a 99% they will reach me. We agree £10 is a fair price for the delivery, but to factor in the chance of the goods not reaching me, I pay you 0.99*£10 = £9.90.

Now there are 2 outcomes here. Either I receive the goods and save 10 pence, or I lose £9.90 and get nothing. Still two very extreme outcomes. As I am only going to run this transaction once, I will see one of two extremes.

However, an insurance company will deal with millions of these transactions, and 1% of them will still fail. However, the law of large numbers means that I can predict with extremely high accuracy how many deliveries will fail and therefore my expected profit from these million transactions is almost a certainty.

It's the entire basis upon which the insurance industry works.

Both are based on risk. Just that the risk is less predictable than the other. Anything that involves risk is a gamble, regardless of what you like to call it. Only real difference is that with insurance, both parties are hoping there won't be a claim where as with gambling, one the customer is hoping for a win whilst the party taking the bet is hoping the customer loses
Old 12 Jul 2020, 19:33 (Ref:3987729)   #6856
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Both are based on risk. Just that the risk is less predictable than the other. Anything that involves risk is a gamble, regardless of what you like to call it. Only real difference is that with insurance, both parties are hoping there won't be a claim where as with gambling, one the customer is hoping for a win whilst the party taking the bet is hoping the customer loses
The House always wins.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 19:39 (Ref:3987736)   #6857
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I take it there has been no official word on spectating at Donington?
Old 12 Jul 2020, 19:48 (Ref:3987738)   #6858
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What other than MSV saying day visitors are allowed.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 19:52 (Ref:3987745)   #6859
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
I do understand your point but that really isn’t how insurance works. Yes, there is risk, but it’s spread across the whole industry to mitigate it.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 19:53 (Ref:3987746)   #6860
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Both are based on risk. Just that the risk is less predictable than the other. Anything that involves risk is a gamble, regardless of what you like to call it.
Risk is present in a lot of situations that are not a gamble.

Gambling involves wagering a value against a risk in the hope of a prize.

Insurance is the exact opposite.

When you take out insurance, you are the one gambling, the insurance firm is taking the risk, the prize is a payout if the risk materialises.

Which, going back to my original point about insurance firms sponsoring BTCC teams:
At the moment, they've not had to pay out much in the way of prizes. Why would they now wager that money against the risk that BTCC marketing will not increase their position further?
Old 12 Jul 2020, 20:06 (Ref:3987752)   #6861
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I am just happy that someone is happy to put money into BTCC, as sponsors we need as many as possible if we are going to have our racing back
Old 12 Jul 2020, 20:07 (Ref:3987754)   #6862
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I do understand your point but that really isn’t how insurance works. Yes, there is risk, but it’s spread across the whole industry to mitigate it.
Just like a bookmaker taking in loads of bets and the amount of money from people who don't win is far greater than the money they have to pay out to the winners.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 20:15 (Ref:3987757)   #6863
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
MagicBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Therefore, it's no chance to see tobacco brands being sponsors of racing teams. Who gives a damn?
Philip Morris still seem determined .. and with the most famous F1 team. *Cough* Mission Winnow *Cough*.

Past an ambiguous slogan there's appears no substance to the company, just a passing resemblance to a large cigarette brand logo.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 20:39 (Ref:3987762)   #6864
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
MSV have been emailing anyone who bought tickets for the original date if they would still be going or if they would like a refund. Technically I believe they are offering a credit note against a future purchase rather that cash refund, but same principal applies.

So baring any last minute change, spectators will be allowed.

Will be interesting to see how they handle infield access. There will be no spectator access to the paddock, and obviously one of the main routes to get into the infield is via the tunnel from the paddock. Will they fence off a walkway through the paddock to the tunnel or close the tunnel completely. I'm sure these are the same question we debated 20 or so pages ago.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 20:48 (Ref:3987763)   #6865
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

When you take out insurance, you are the one gambling, the insurance firm is taking the risk, the prize is a payout if the risk materialises.

Which, going back to my original point about insurance firms sponsoring BTCC teams:
At the moment, they've not had to pay out much in the way of prizes. Why would they now wager that money against the risk that BTCC marketing will not increase their position further?
As vehicle insurance is the only insurance people have to have by law, I will use that as an example.
A motorist has to take out insurance, unless it is an agreed value policy, it will payout market value or for repair. The only gamble on the part of the customer is if they include a voluntary excess to lower their premium and then that they don't have an accident. The only prize they get is a possible extra NCB for the following years premium. If they already have full NCB, then they get nothing. The insurance company however, is gambling on the customer not having to make a claim, their prize is not having to pay out any money, keeping all the money from the premium as well as the money they have learnt from the premium.

As far as spending money in the BTCC. Insurance companies need to advertise. The more customers that they get, statistics and probability should prove that they will have more customers that they won't have to pay out to in the event of claims. If they don't have enough customers, statistics and probability starts to stack against them. Insurance companies have gone bust in the past, just as bookmakers have and that is in part to not having enough money from the right sort of customers.
So with reduced payouts over the last few months means they have unexpected money to spare. Why would they not want to raise their profile and try to ensure they get your next car insurance premium rather than the next company. As I said all motorists have to have insurance to drive vehicles on the road, obviously there are a very small minority who will drive without insurance. But because people have to have it, it is one of very few industries that has been badly affected by the virus and lockdown. The fact that they have saved more money than any other industry as a result, means they are most certainly one of very few industries in a position to provide sponsorship. As lockdown reduces further, they will just be returning to their usual payouts, all that money they saved will still be spare.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 21:37 (Ref:3987770)   #6866
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Will be interesting to see how they handle infield access. There will be no spectator access to the paddock, and obviously one of the main routes to get into the infield is via the tunnel from the paddock. Will they fence off a walkway through the paddock to the tunnel or close the tunnel completely. I'm sure these are the same question we debated 20 or so pages ago.
I would expect all spectators to be allowed only into the infield, with access via the Coppice tunnel, and nobody allowed anywhere near the paddock.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 21:43 (Ref:3987774)   #6867
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
As vehicle insurance is the only insurance people have to have by law, I will use that as an example.
A motorist has to take out insurance, unless it is an agreed value policy, it will payout market value or for repair. The only gamble on the part of the customer is if they include a voluntary excess to lower their premium and then that they don't have an accident. The only prize they get is a possible extra NCB for the following years premium. If they already have full NCB, then they get nothing. The insurance company however, is gambling on the customer not having to make a claim, their prize is not having to pay out any money, keeping all the money from the premium as well as the money they have learnt from the premium.
You've got the 'gamble' backwards there.

Buying your insurance premium is your wager. You are waiting for the event that means the insurance company pays out.
The payout is your prize.

Insurance companies are on the opposite side. They are not gambling anything. They will only ever pay out what has been taken in as premiums. If the payouts exceed the premiums received, then the payout is reduced.
Insurance companies don't pay out market value for repair, they pay their underwriters valuation on what is reasonable, which will always be in their favour.

The fact that you need motor insurance is to protect the third party. The mandatory part will never pay you anything back. Insuring your own vehicle is the gamble. Fully Comp is not mandatory.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 21:51 (Ref:3987776)   #6868
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBoy View Post
Philip Morris still seem determined .. and with the most famous F1 team. *Cough* Mission Winnow *Cough*.

Past an ambiguous slogan there's appears no substance to the company, just a passing resemblance to a large cigarette brand logo.
You're right, I've forgotten about them... which probably says a bit about their 'involvement.'
Old 12 Jul 2020, 21:52 (Ref:3987777)   #6869
peebee2
Veteran

Some people’s understanding of the insurance industry has to be based on a news-like story on something like the BBC website.

Interesting and entertaining, but utterly wrong.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 22:02 (Ref:3987781)   #6870
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There's also a pedestrian entrance and tunnel to the infield at the Fogarty Esses which could be used.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 22:15 (Ref:3987786)   #6871
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
I would expect all spectators to be allowed only into the infield, with access via the Coppice tunnel, and nobody allowed anywhere near the paddock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
There's also a pedestrian entrance and tunnel to the infield at the Fogarty Esses which could be used.
It would be better if they could spread people out more by using both infield and outfield. If they use the entrance at the back of Redgate (Tarmac Lake) then you can get spectators past Hollywood and down Craners without going near the paddock.

If you can't get to the paddock then Esses tunnel just takes you from the car park. If you come in via that entrance and want to sit at the Old Haiprin then it's quite a walk from the Esses tunnel, out via Coppice tunnel and around the outfield. Likewise if you come in via Redgate entrance and want to sit infield it's an even longer walk in the other direction.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 23:05 (Ref:3987792)   #6872
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post

Let's get cocaine dealers throwing some money into the sport to advertise their products while we're at it. After all the only consideration is that it's good for motorsport and nothing else.
Funnily enough I did know a F3 team owner a while ago whose Colombian hotshot driver disappeared when his “Coffee sponsorship” dried up after his father was imprisoned - something to do with white powder that wasn’t “creamer”!
Old 13 Jul 2020, 07:05 (Ref:3987828)   #6873
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
You've got the 'gamble' backwards there.

Buying your insurance premium is your wager. You are waiting for the event that means the insurance company pays out.
The payout is your prize.

Insurance companies are on the opposite side. They are not gambling anything. They will only ever pay out what has been taken in as premiums. If the payouts exceed the premiums received, then the payout is reduced.
Insurance companies don't pay out market value for repair, they pay their underwriters valuation on what is reasonable, which will always be in their favour.

The fact that you need motor insurance is to protect the third party. The mandatory part will never pay you anything back. Insuring your own vehicle is the gamble. Fully Comp is not mandatory.
If you have a vehicle insurance, you will be hoping you won't be in a position for the insurance to pay out. If you do have to claim, even if you have paid for protected NCB, you will still be paying higher insurance premiums for the next 5 years. Third Party Only insurance, maybe the required minimum, but there is no guarantee that it will be significantly cheaper than TPF&T of Comprehensive insurance.
Market value payout on car insurance is for a write off not repairs. If the cost of repairs alone or with additional costs exceeds the market value of the vehicle or a percentage of the vehicle value, the vehicle will be written off and the insured should receive market value. The idea being that you are insured to return you to a similar vehicle.

If you do make a claim on car insurance, the vehicle is returned to pre accident condition or money paid out for a replacement. That certainly isn't a prize.

The only prize is for the insurance company if you don't make a claim, because they don't have to pay out and they have basically got your premium for nothing.
Old 13 Jul 2020, 07:49 (Ref:3987831)   #6874
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
It would be better if they could spread people out more by using both infield and outfield. If they use the entrance at the back of Redgate (Tarmac Lake) then you can get spectators past Hollywood and down Craners without going near the paddock.

If you can't get to the paddock then Esses tunnel just takes you from the car park. If you come in via that entrance and want to sit at the Old Haiprin then it's quite a walk from the Esses tunnel, out via Coppice tunnel and around the outfield. Likewise if you come in via Redgate entrance and want to sit infield it's an even longer walk in the other direction.
At Saturday's race meeting all spectators were kept to Redgate banking. Obviously a much smaller event and less stewards required to keep an eye on spectators. With a bigger event like BTCC, the crowd will be bigger, more stewards will be required and more viewing areas will be used.
Old 13 Jul 2020, 07:52 (Ref:3987832)   #6875
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for the HSCC meeting at Brands this weekend the entire circuit was open for viewing. All very sensible and although not as busy as a BTCC Sunday, it was on the level of a BTCC Saturday.

Only area you couldn't go was the paddock, which is fair enough. So bodes well for the GP meeting in August for touring cars.

I did say sensible...any comment that HSCC spectators are a bit more...sensible...then BTCC ones is your own and not mine!