Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 7 Feb 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1219213)   #1
Wimille
Rookie

Wimille should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Memo Gidley

What about Memo Gidley? Has he rraced during past seasons????
Old 7 Feb 2005, 09:33 (Ref:1219220)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Gidley has only had one start in the past in the IRL at California Speedway in 2002

he qualified 27th and finished 21st.

Not a great effort but there is no doubting Memo's ability or likeability.

I'd like to see him do more races but I think he has his hands full with other racing series these days
Old 7 Feb 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1219272)   #3
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he's concentrating on sportscars this season, although a handful of drives in either ChampCars or IRL are surely possible. I'd love to see him get a full-time shot, he's been impressive when given a chance.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1219497)   #4
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He has a contract to race in Grand Am with McDowell. I actually didn't realize that he had raced in the IRL in 2002. He did two races with CC last year but did most of the season in World Challange (although I don't think it was a full season, because the car wasn't ready @ the start).
Old 7 Feb 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1219509)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How did the California one-off come about? Was there ever talk of him doing the full season? Certainly, i can't think of any mroe capable US driver who has missed out on fulltime rides so consistantly - much as I respect sportscar racing and hope Memo can do well, I think he'd be a great asset to either series, especially as a photogenic American (and half-Mexican, his full first name is Guillermo).
Old 8 Feb 2005, 04:27 (Ref:1219988)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think it may have been a fill in for an injured driver Boots.

It was with the Purex team , so maybe Robbie Buhl or Sarah Fisher at the time were injured perhaps.

im only guessing though
Old 25 Feb 2005, 13:06 (Ref:1235629)   #7
trow
Racer

United States
Indianapolis
trow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The guy has some cool shades! No, seriously ... I don't understand enough about why no one hires him. He seems like he would be perfect to land a MIPS ride. He must not be as good as everyone thinks he is or else AGR would've found a place for him. He is a very nice guy though, as are most of the drivers face to face. I wish him luck finding a good ride in any series that'll help get him more valuable seat time.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1235882)   #8
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm more interested in what happened with Richie Hearn, this man is a super talent and yet he only has a ride once a year too sad........

I think Hearn would be a good candidate to the 2nd Vision car he would bring a lot of experience would drive for nothing and doesn't crash very often...
Old 25 Feb 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1235952)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Both Hearn and Gidley would be great additions, but is 'would drive for nothing' enough? Tony George appears to be involved in Vision as much for his own benefit as the championship's, so adding a second car seems unlikely, especially if he'll have to pay towards it. I know it's a short-sighted attitude considering the lack of identifiable US drivers, but both championships are making the same mistake here.

Welcome Snips by the way.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1236031)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What has Hearn been up to lately?
Old 25 Feb 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1236084)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I know it's a short-sighted attitude considering the lack of identifiable US drivers, but both championships are making the same mistake here.

Welcome Snips by the way.
You couldn't be more right on that Boots. I think I've made my feeling's known about that situation once or twice!

As far as what Hearn is doing these days, I don't think he's doing much. His last season in the IRL was 03, and since then just the Indy 500. I havn't seen or heard about him in any other series since. He was pretty much an IndyCar guy all the way, except for those 2 CART seasons. Thats what I like about the originals like Hearn, they lived and died for this series, and were dedicated to it...

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Feb 2005, 00:27 (Ref:1236271)   #12
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Hey thanks GP Racer...

I think I read somewhere that Hearn was starting his own Formula Mazsa (or whatever it's called) series team with 3 cars in the 2004 season otherwise I haven't got any clue too sad, but hey that's racing!!!...
Old 26 Feb 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1236853)   #13
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
I really think a guy like Hearn or Gidley would need to be in a decent seat in order for their presence to significanly add to the series in terms of US identity. Hearn was a pretty good driver, but I was more impressed by Gidley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
Thats what I like about the originals like Hearn, they lived and died for this series, and were dedicated to it...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Hearn was originally dedicated to the IRL, why did he dable in both and then go into CC?
Old 26 Feb 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1236878)   #14
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
other than th eSpeed WC touring car Focus i haven't seen Memo anywhere.
a guy who developed his own talent to race and has shown good skill, a guy who came with no name into champcar and IRL ranks- he ruules...
good luck on all Memo!
Old 27 Feb 2005, 09:07 (Ref:1237062)   #15
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wish we could find a happy medium to have the Kannans, the Franchettis, and the Bourdais along with the Hearns, Laziers, Buhls, Rices all in the one series...
Old 27 Feb 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1237193)   #16
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
I wish we could find a happy medium to have the Kannans, the Franchettis, and the Bourdais along with the Hearns, Laziers, Buhls, Rices all in the one series...

Well that will take some time......
Old 27 Feb 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1237237)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It could happen as soon as next year if those in power wanted it to.

Sadly ego will probably prevent it until one or other series dies.