Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jan 2003, 14:32 (Ref:481088)   #1
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jaques is busy...

...Busy with the hot air anyway.

A choice quote from him...

"Jenson hasn't done anything yet. I don't see him as the new guy to beat; if I don't beat him, I'd better stay home because that would mean that I don't belong in F1.”

Now that's going to be funny if he fails to follow-through with results on the track!
Old 21 Jan 2003, 15:54 (Ref:481168)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You missed part of the quote:
“I'm willing to admit that Jenson can compete, but as of now, he hasn't shown anything” Villeneuve went on to say. “Everyone talks about him like he's the next world champion. They say it'll be tough for me, that I need to step up my game, that it'll be a dog fight. I find this insulting, people are putting us on equal footing! I don't see why I should go down to his level.”

and he's right. Button hasn't done anything. Why he's being touted as the some kind of future World Champion is beyond me.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 21 Jan 2003, 16:11 (Ref:481183)   #3
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh well, I am fairly confident that Jenson beat Villeneuve last season.... .
Old 21 Jan 2003, 16:45 (Ref:481232)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I find this insulting, people are putting us on equal footing! I don't see why I should go down to his level.”
That is more of the same arrogance, as far as I can see - Jaques finds it insulting that they are considered on equal terms. Ah well diddums, never mind Jaques - you'll just have to put up or shut up. I look forward and expect you to shut up.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 16:54 (Ref:481239)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Hilarious! And people come on this board to complain about TGF's "arrogance."

Retire and go chase skirts, Jacques, its what you are best at anyways...
Old 21 Jan 2003, 17:16 (Ref:481270)   #6
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, at least he's got confidence... of course those are arrogant words, but Jacques has won the Indy 500, the CART title, the F1 WDC, as well as 11 F1 Grands Prix. They are not equal in those terms, so Jacques is right about that. He is a better driver than Jenson - at least he has to be regarded as that unless proven otherwise...
Old 21 Jan 2003, 17:20 (Ref:481274)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Of course not. But that happened 5-7 years ago. He might be a better driver (not proven), but certainly his performances from past several years don't entitle him to such bold statements. Arrogance is not the best word to describe his attitude. Aahhh, only if every team could have such a friendly atmosphere as Frank Williams maintaions in his team.....
Old 21 Jan 2003, 17:32 (Ref:481292)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair I think Jacques is right this once.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 17:37 (Ref:481303)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I do too. However, whether he is wise (or should have) said it is, perhaps, another thing.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 17:41 (Ref:481314)   #10
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Jacques is more proven - but does he still have that extra spark necessary to try and win races? Chocolate (Button - get it?!) definately does, he's young and enthusiastic, but - don't get me wrong here, obviously JV does want to win - does JV want to win to the same extent as Choccy, or has he been somewhat corrupted by the money?
Old 21 Jan 2003, 18:11 (Ref:481363)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe he is correct to to dismiss Button, but there's nothing to be gained from the public slagging.. As for his comments about Richards, I'm with Richards on this one:the team would be better served spending its declining funds on the car and not on JV.

HOWEVER the final comment is astounding!!! (Quoted from F1-Live:

It will be no surprise to hear that Jacques Villeneuve won't be driving for BAR in 2004. He'll have to find another drive - but where? “With a better team than BAR, because I don't want to go any lower.”

Ouch!

That's how to get the boys at Brackley behind you Jacques!

Given that Button has been effusive in his praise of the team and the welcome he has received, I can only surmise that the effort made on Jacques' behalf by the team will fall short of that made for Jetin' Bunsen.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 19:56 (Ref:481505)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
but certainly his performances from past several years don't entitle him to such bold statements.
Well. If you compare his performances to Button's... Remember that all the time JV's been in BAR, JB has been in Williams, Benetton and Renault. Not any little organisations I'd say. And certainly more reliable than the BARs.

Not because Jacques has finished less often he's a worse driver.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 19:57 (Ref:481506)   #13
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But wait, there's more...

The French-Canadian should get his hands on his new car today in Spain. From what he knows, the chassis is solid. As far as the Honda engine goes, it's not there yet: “The chassis is really quite good, but the engine lacks punch, it's down on power. The chassis is good enough for us to get to the podium. Now, it all depends on Honda. For now, our engine lasts for half a race, no more.”

He is definitely leaving the team! He speaks of a motor that he has never driven! Last year the motor was more of a time bomb that would fail to go off in a few races. However if you want to stay in good favors with the industry you just don't rip them in that way.
He is being a hypocrite too. He is bad mouthing DR to the press while he is upset for DR talking about his situation at BAR. DR did not make a big deal to the press over JV's pay. JV is making a bigger deal about it. Well, I expect to see him back with he man, in CART. There is a difference between being outspoken and being rude, unprofessional and infantile. He should know that by now.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 20:06 (Ref:481526)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DR did start all the bithering. If DR hadn't said anything, or if he had kept it in-house, then JV wouldn't revenge.

And I would say he's speaking of last year's motor. He can't know how the Honda engine will perform over a race yet, and he expects that this year's will be better. "It all depends on Honda"

neilap, I hope your favourite carmaker does bring Jacques to a podium this year!
Old 22 Jan 2003, 02:39 (Ref:481985)   #15
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
someone get him a violin
Old 22 Jan 2003, 04:18 (Ref:482030)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He could have used more tact with the Button comment, but he's essentially correct.

As for the honda bashing, maybe he's hoping to embarras them into doing more development. It is his last season with BAR, probably F1 so he has nothing to lose by bashing Honda a bit.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 06:05 (Ref:482054)   #17
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if he is playing politics to put pressure on Honda, but if he does, he is not a good politician. Honda is under the pressure more than enough from inside and outside. Senna used the same tactics to pressure on them ,but they were competing world champ, and were chased by other teams. Indeed, they needed the pressure, they were wining so easily. Now... it's completely different story. This kind of comment is useless and doesn't improve JV's position in the team.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 07:57 (Ref:482119)   #18
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a big Villeneuve fan but I think dating all these young girls is keeping him from maturing. He seems to be digressing as he has gotten older. I have admired his honesty and his saying what he feels attitude, but sometimes he is just stupid. I wonder if an older wiser lady would put up with him!
Old 22 Jan 2003, 10:52 (Ref:482244)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmm, isn't B.A.R a TEAM? If so then it's members should behave as such. The B.A.R of today is not the same as the BAR Jaques joined 4 years ago with CP and he should realise that. Dave Richards has done much to bring new impetus and skills to the team while at the same time cutting costs. It is now on a firmer and better financial footing and therefore it is wholly wrong to compare the new with the old. It's rather like comparing chalk and cheese as the saying goes.

No-one knows how Jaques and Jenson will compare until they both race each other. Dave Richards has faith in Jenson and I admit to admiring DR's past performances!
Old 22 Jan 2003, 11:41 (Ref:482283)   #20
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I will qualify my post as I usually do when I read something like this nomatter who the driver is.

If he really said this.......

.... then he's a jackass. Not that I totally disagree with what he said, but he should learn to shut his mouth.

Has'nt he worked out why the top teams don't want him. He's too arrogant to think it's his driving, so surely he must know it's the hole under his nose that will end his career.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 12:49 (Ref:482346)   #21
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Good grief - how many more Jacques bash threads are we going to have here. Can't we just stick to the one thread and beat the hell out of him there? At least that way we have the latest compleat quotes to refer to when we bash him
When I started mine, there were already 5 others - how many more do we want? This is called flooding - others might call it trolling.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 12:52 (Ref:482348)   #22
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
's not our fault VB. He could adopt a similar line by the way. Whenever he feels the urge to open the mouth, he could write it on a piece of paper instead and make a bulk statement, every once in a while. Once a month for example. Then we will start a monthly thread.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 13:21 (Ref:482384)   #23
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Actually, I'm getting sick of Jacques bashes. Couldn't we bash someone else? Like Rubens, or Nick, or Fisi, or Mark; someone that hasn't been bashed before - this never ending wait for March is getting everyone bored to tears.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 13:26 (Ref:482391)   #24
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
That's the point. What happens to Jacques in this forum is not quite bashing. And we can't do the same with Kimi for example, because he doesn't give us the necesary raw material. They usually mind their business.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 13:42 (Ref:482420)   #25
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Actually, I'm getting sick of Jacques bashes. Couldn't we bash someone else? Like Rubens, or Nick, or Fisi, or Mark; someone that hasn't been bashed before - this never ending wait for March is getting everyone bored to tears.
To dismiss it as "bashing", and thus imply that it is essentially bias-driven, is to completely ignore what he actually said. If he hadn't come out with such an arrogant load of ********, if he weren't demanding preferential treatment just because he happens to be older, if only he would just shut and drive - then there wouldn't be any "bashing" to do, would there?

And. (!) I went for new thread because it was new news - you seem to imply that I was recycling the same old same old. But no - amazing though it is Jaques just keeps on finding new ways to mke himself look an arse, and all the time he's doing that i'm happy to find new ways of discussing it.

If "Rubens, or Nick, or Fisi, or Mark" or whoever was coming up with such rubbish, whilst at the same time failing to put his driving where his mouth is, then they could get a bit of the same treatment. But they aren't.