Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 7 Oct 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1426708)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Foyt Fires Foyt

Quote:
Foyt IV is being released from his contract with A.J. Foyt Enterprises effective after the IRL IndyCar Series’ final race at California Speedway on Oct. 16.

“Anthony wants to try his hand at NASCAR,” said family patriarch and IndyCar team owner A.J. Foyt.
I find this article interesting, because it makes absolutely no mention of possible NASCAR teams.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1426795)   #2
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AJ IV has been working with Everham Motorsports and Akins Motorsports in NASCAR. Ray Everham seems to be pretty gung ho about getting him into a NASCAR ride from what I've read. He asked to be released from his IRL contract and I can't blame him for that. Now he might have a shot at better equipment and results without the junk that has been layed on him by his grandfather.

J.D.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1426821)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will AJ Foyt's team continue in IndyCar?
Old 7 Oct 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1426825)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's quite possible that they won't, especially with AJ's noted dislike of the addition of road races. Certainly it seems like their only asset is gone.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 01:11 (Ref:1426907)   #5
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'll probably go back to being an Indy 500 only team like he was before the IRL. He can make more running the cars next year than just letting them sit considering how much he already has invested in equipment that nobody wants.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 01:18 (Ref:1426910)   #6
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
Just read the story and this line sticks out at my in particular that leads me to believe that AJ the elder plans to run full-time next year

"Foyt indicated that there are several veteran drivers who are candidates for the full-time ride in the ABC Supply No. 14 car next year but he is in no rush to name Foyt IV’s successor."

I would think that the main drivers he's looking at would be Felipe Giaffone (since he was the first indy 500 driver for foyt to actually bring the car home in 1 piece in 3 years) and Airton Dare, who has worked with AJ in the past and he always seemed fond of. Anyone know what Airton's up to these days?
Old 8 Oct 2005, 06:56 (Ref:1427007)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
dont know but I'd love to see him back in the series as well as giaffone (either of them Felipe or Alfonso (anyone know what he is up to these days ?????????)

a shame for AJ IV I would have liked to see him in a different team next year but if his heart is desiring Nascar then good luck to him.

hope he goes better than Larry has.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 10:10 (Ref:1427098)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll give it to him for sticking to it whilst the times were rough.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 12:16 (Ref:1427219)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
He'll probably go back to being an Indy 500 only team like he was before the IRL.

He wasn't an Indy 500-only team.

He ran the full CART seasons.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 04:12 (Ref:1427778)   #10
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
He wasn't an Indy 500-only team.

He ran the full CART seasons.
I quite specifically remember him running Scott Sharp in just he Indy 500.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 05:04 (Ref:1427788)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
no sorry KB is right , AJ has run a full team in the IRL and also before in CART
Old 9 Oct 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1428599)   #12
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when the word "fired" is used, i'm thinking that he was kicked off the team....
this is making it seem like he "quit" more than got "fired"
unless of course, he was under contract...but i mean come on, they're family
Old 9 Oct 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1428659)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
That was my mistake, drewdawg. I didn't know that Foyt4 really did have NASCAR aspirations. I thought that it was merely an excuse being used to save face.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 02:19 (Ref:1428980)   #14
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
I wasn't saying that Foyt had NEVER run a full season for his team prior to the IRL, just that for a few years when CART was getting really expensive, that he didn't.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 05:18 (Ref:1429077)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
I wasn't saying that Foyt had NEVER run a full season for his team prior to the IRL, just that for a few years when CART was getting really expensive, that he didn't.

No.

He ran a full season all the way up to the last pre-split year of 1995.

And he's run a full season in the IRL every year since 1996.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 08:49 (Ref:1429260)   #16
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
according to what I've found he did not run a full season in 1992
Old 10 Oct 2005, 08:57 (Ref:1429276)   #17
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
according to what I've found he did not really run a full season in 1992 as he didn't have a single driver for more than 5 races. But he did run his team a lot more than I can remember, maybe I forget a lot because they were so god awful for such a long time.

http://www.formulaone.free-online.co...oyt/index.html

very impressive list of drivers though, I had no clue Herta drove for him back in '94 and Robby Gordon in '93
Old 11 Oct 2005, 01:05 (Ref:1430305)   #18
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was annouced over the weekend that AJ IV will be driving the #38 Akins Motorsports in the NASCAR Busch series for the final four races of this season and all of next season. This team is using Dodge chassis with Everham engines and has run fairly well over the last few seasons with Kasey Kahne as the driver. Hopefully AJ IV can run well and have a string season in the car.

J.D.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1430732)   #19
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame to see the kid leave IRL in my opinion. He was very rubbish at the start of the year but has shown flashes of form in recent races.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1430753)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
according to what I've found he did not really run a full season in 1992 as he didn't have a single driver for more than 5 races. But he did run his team a lot more than I can remember, maybe I forget a lot because they were so god awful for such a long time.

If you add them up, he had a car entered in every race of 1992