Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jun 2011, 16:59 (Ref:2892957)   #51
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How tires will help make the race fun for fans, but maybe not for the drivers and teams:

Pirelli’s tires liven up F1 circuit
Jun 7, 2011
Dave Stubbs
National Post

...For too many years, F1 tire suppliers had prided themselves on their durable products that could run most of a race with virtually no wear. Thus, we had processionals — long, dull stretches of racing that mostly was decided by fuel strategy.

Montreal was a curious exception; it seemed that tires always have been part of the equation, chewed up by the asphalt of a temporary race track that isn’t the exquisite racing surface of others around the global circuit. Last year here was a beauty, supplier Bridgestone finding to its horror that the tires brought to Montreal had a useful life of roughly 10 laps for prime tires and just four for the so-called “options.”

This was a disaster or a delight, depending on your point of view. The best action came in the pits, drivers frequently and urgently charging in for new tires to avoid running on rims.

Old 8 Jun 2011, 02:04 (Ref:2893194)   #52
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The latest forecast doesn't look as good, esp. for Sunday, but it can change between now and then. Headed for Montreal in the early AM.

Thursday
Chance of a Thunderstorm. Mostly Cloudy. High: 81 °F. Wind WSW 13 - 18 mph. 50% chance of precipitation (water equivalent of 0.27 in). Heat Index: 84 °F.
Thursday Night
Chance of a Thunderstorm. Mostly Cloudy. Low: 55 °F. Wind SE 9 mph. 20% chance of precipitation (water equivalent of 0.07 in).
Friday
Partly Cloudy. High: 70 °F. Wind WSW 6 - 9 mph.
Friday Night
Partly Cloudy. Low: 52 °F. Wind East 4 - 10 mph.
Saturday
Mostly Cloudy. High: 72 °F. Wind ESE 13 - 17 mph.
Saturday Night
Chance of Rain. Low: 55 °F. Wind ESE 8 - 14 mph. 70% chance of precipitation (water equivalent of 0.54 in).
Sunday
Chance of Rain. Overcast. High: 66 °F. Wind ESE 8 - 12 mph. 40% chance of precipitation (water equivalent of 0.06 in).

Old 8 Jun 2011, 08:43 (Ref:2893303)   #53
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
An interview with the boss of the Montreal race:

ESPNF1 interview : François Dumontier

Back to an 'old-school' circuit
Daniel Bastien
June 8, 2011

The Gilles Villeneuve Circuit, where great moments in Formula One history have taken place, will soon host another round of the championship. ESPNF1 spoke with François Dumontier, the Canadian GP's big boss since last year. The long-term planning of a Grand Prix, Montreal's double DRS zone and Canada's place on the calendar were amongst the subjects discussed.

At what time of the year do you start preparing the following season's grand prix?
The Monday morning immediately after the GP. Even today, many people are under the impression that a grand prix can be prepared in three months. They ask me what I do for a living the other nine months of the year. But when I say that we begin anew the following day, I mean it. Next year's tickets go on sale that Monday morning.

It really does take a whole year to make it happen. People are surprised when they learn how many individuals have full-time jobs dedicated to this project. Management, ticket sales, sponsors, production... The number doubles a few months ahead of the race. About 300 construction workers begin in March, three months before the event. They work on the grandstands, fences, cementing, the paddock, etc. During the grand prix week-end itself, about 4500 employees take care of our customers...

Old 16 Jun 2011, 14:02 (Ref:2900271)   #54
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Despite the rain on Sunday, it was another great GP weekend in Montreal. The race was sold out again and many fans (including myself) stayed through the 2-hour rain delay and enjoyed an exciting, unpredictable finish to the race.

The crowds downtown were as large as I have ever seen (so large that sometimes you just couldn't move on Crescent St. where the F1 Festival takes place). I have lots of photos of the downtown scene and the race, but I edited my Montreal F1 Babe photos first. Here they are:

Montreal F1 Babes 2011 Gallery

Montreal F1 Babes 2011 Slideshow

Old 17 Jun 2011, 17:03 (Ref:2901018)   #55
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Words from some drivers about the love affair between Montreal and F1. Based on my experience this year, the relationship is as strong as ever.

Montreal Grand Prix 2011: F1 enjoys love affair with city
Drivers' feelings about city genuine
By WALTER BUCHIGNANI, The Gazette June 13, 2011

MONTREAL

...No doubt, F1 drivers are well trained to say nice things about all the places they visit, but make no mistake - their feelings for Montreal are genuine...

Felipe Massa, driver, Ferrari: "Montreal is a place I enjoy coming to. To tell the truth, the circuit is not one of my favourites, but the city itself is great and the people are very welcoming and keen on Formula One..."

Sebastian Vettel, driver, Red Bull Racing: "It's a great race, the atmosphere is fantastic and the fans are very special..."

Lewis Hamilton, driver, McLaren: "...The fans in Montreal and everyone in North America who makes the trip to the city are some of the best in the world. They are so positive, supportive and friendly - my trips to the city have been some of my favourite experiences in Formula One."

Michael Schumacher, driver, Mercedes: "Montreal is a great city to visit and the Canadian Grand Prix is always one of those races where it feels like the whole city gets involved and creates a really nice atmosphere."

Nico Rosberg, driver, Mercedes: "The Canadian Grand Prix is one of my favourite race weekends of the season. Montreal is a great city, with a carnival atmosphere over the weekend, and the fans are always really friendly and so enthusiastic."

Heikki Kovalainen, driver, Lotus: "...The whole city buzzes when we're in town and they get behind the whole event right across the city so there's an amazing atmosphere wherever you go."

Jarno Trulli, driver, Lotus: "I love Canada and especially Montreal - the track itself is great, a real challenge, the people are very welcoming and the city is that cool mix of Europe and North America."

Mike Gascoyne, chief technical officer, Lotus: "Montreal is one of the races that is universally popular up and down the pit lane. The city welcomes us with open arms, the track is a great challenge for the cars, the drivers and the whole team and the fans create the sort of atmosphere that proves they love having us in town."

"It's a race and a city I love," says Jenson Button, who brought his girlfriend, Jessica Michibata, to this year's GP.
Old 16 May 2013, 20:28 (Ref:3248534)   #56
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
In less than three weeks, the 2013 Grand Prix du Canada will be here. So it's time to revive this thread about the best Grand Prix in the world (well, at least from this fan's point of view. )

The schedule for the weekend has been released. If anyone has any questions about Montreal, the race weekend, tickets, etc. I will be glad to try to answer them. I'll be in town starting Tuesday of GP week.

With this week's announcement about a change in the tires, the race should be as interesting as ever.

CTTC -- Canadian Touring Car championship

THE 2013 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA
WILL TAKE PLACE ON JUNE 7, 8 AND 9

FRIDAY, JUNE 7

8:00 a.m. Venue opens to public
8:50 a.m. to 9:10 a.m. Ferrari Challenge Free Practice Session
10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Formula 1 1st Free Practice Session
11:55 a.m. to 12:25 p.m. CTCC Qualifying Session
2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Formula 1 2nd Free Practice Session
3:55 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. Ferrari Challenge Free Practice Session
4:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. CTCC Qualifying Session
5:15 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Free Practice Session
6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Formula 1600 Qualifying Session

SATURDAY, JUNE 8

7:30 a.m. Venue opens to public
8:45 a.m. to 9:15 a.m. Ferrari Challenge Qualifying Session
10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Formula 1 3nd Free Practice Session
11:15 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Qualifying Session
1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Formula 1 Qualifying (22 for Q1, 16 for Q2, 10 for Q3)
2:20 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Formula 1600 Grid Access and Formation Lap
2:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Formula 1600 1st Race
3:00 p.m. Formula 1600 Podium Presentation
3:20 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. CTCC Grid Access and Formation Lap
3:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. CTCC 1st Race
4:00 p.m. CTCC Podium Presentation
4:20 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Ferrari Challenge Grid Access and Formation Lap
4:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Ferrari Challenge 1st Race
5:00 p.m. Ferrari Challenge Podium Presentation
5:20 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Grid Access and Formation Lap
5:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge 1st Race
6:00 p.m. Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Podium Presentation

SUNDAY, JUNE 9

8:00 a.m. Venue opens to public
8:50 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. CTCC Grid Access and Formation Lap
9:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. CTCC 2nd Race
9:30 a.m. CTCC Podium Presentation
9:35 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. Formula 1600 Grid Access and Formation Lap
9:45 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. Formula 1600 2nd Race
10:15 a.m. Formula 1600 Podium Presentation
10:20 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Grid Access and Formation Lap
10:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Race
11:00 a.m. Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Podium Presentation
11:05 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Ferrari Challenge Grid Access and Formation Lap
11:15 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. Ferrari Challenge 2nd Race
11:45 a.m. Ferrari Challenge Podium Presentation
12:30 p.m. Formula 1 Drivers’ Parade
12:45 p.m. Nations' Presentation
1:30 p.m. Formula 1 Pit Lane Opening
1:45 p.m. Formula 1 Pit Lane Closing
2:00 p.m. 2013 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 70 laps, (excluding formation lap) or 2 hours.
*This schedule is subject to change without notice.

Last edited by BobHWS; 16 May 2013 at 20:47.
Old 16 May 2013, 21:15 (Ref:3248560)   #57
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
The entertainment highlight of the weekend will be a Rolling Stones concert Sunday night of GP weekend at the Bell Centre downtown.

From RollingStones.com:

THE ROLLING STONES ADD MONTREAL DATE TO THE 50 & COUNTING TOUR

The Rolling Stones, who rocked London and New York in 2012, have announced that they will play Montreal as part of their 50 & Counting tour on Sunday June 9 2013.

50 & Counting continues the exhilarating celebration of the band’s first 50 years—five decades of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood bringing their iconic music and ground-breaking stage shows to audiences around the globe.

Tickets go on sale Saturday, April 20 at 12 noon and will be available at www.rollingstones.com/tickets...

The Rolling Stones were recently crowned the ‘Best Live Band’ at the NME Awards in London, and over the past 12 months have thrilled fans with their release of a greatest hits collection, “GRRR!,” a groundbreaking documentary film “Crossfire Hurricane,” a photographic book “Rolling Stones: 50,” and have taken the stage by storm for their first live shows in many years. The tour is the band’s highly anticipated return to the stage.

“50 & Counting has been pretty amazing so far,” said Jagger. “We did a few shows in London and New York last year…and had such a good time that we thought…let’s do some more. It’s a good show. Lots of the classic stuff everyone wants to hear…with a few little gems tucked in here and there. The stage is shaped like lips and goes off into the venue so I get to run around in the crowd. It’s great fun to be able to get that close to the audience.”

“From day one at rehearsals it sounded so fresh. You could tell that everybody was dying to get their teeth into it. It was like…open the gates…let us out!” said Richards. “Cause man, it is the life and blood of us to play in front of people.”

Mick Taylor, who was a member of the Rolling Stones from 1969-74, will be a special guest throughout the tour.

The band will treat their generations of fans to an evening of classic Stones hits like “Gimme Shelter,” “Paint It Black,” “Jumping Jack Flash,” “Tumbling Dice,” and “It’s Only Rock and Roll,” curated with lesser known gems, and a cover or two...
Old 23 May 2013, 01:19 (Ref:3251947)   #58
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
The traditional "open house" day of the Grand Prix du Canada returns this year, after a one-year absence. The event was cancelled last year due to concern about the possibility of student protests disrupting the event.

THE RETURN OF THE POPULAR "OPEN HOUSE DAY" ON THURSDAY JUNE 6

The Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada is pleased to announce it’s highly anticipated "Open House Day”, which will take place on Thursday, June 6, at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve. Starting at 9 a.m., racing fans will be welcomed on site free of charge via the Cosmos Bridge, close to the Parc Jean-Drapeau metro station. Using a shuttle bus, visitors with their camera in hand will be able to explore the pit lane until noon while witnessing Formula 1 staff at work.

"In introduction to the Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada, we are once again pleased to offer Quebec fans and our countless foreign visitors the unique experience that is our traditional ‘’Open House Day’’, said François Dumontier , President and CEO of Octane Racing Group Inc. and President of Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada. With the valuable collaboration of FIA world championship’s teams, the leaders of North American participating series and Mother Nature, we are proud to be able to promote this annual encounter between drivers and supporters. This activity is intended for those who, since 1978, have made and continue to make the success and reputation of the Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada. "

As the tradition dictates, it will be possible to catch a glimpse of each Formula 1 team while they are busy preparing the cars, whether it is the Red Bulls of Vettel and Webber, the Ferraris of Alonso and Massa, Rosberg and Hamilton’s Mercedes or those of the other eight competing teams. As usual, the employees will generously respond to questions from attending supporters. Near the garages, visitors will be able to see the cars of the four supporting series; the Ferrari Challenge, the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge, the CTCC and Formula Tour 1600. Furthermore, it will be possible to meet with drivers or team representatives involved in these series, as well as mechanical engineering students from multiple Quebec universities who will showcase their cars from the Formula SAE competition.

The "Open House Day" is also the opportunity for visitors to have an up-close look at the trophies that will be awarded to the drivers and teams who will climb on the podium at the conclusion of the Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada, on Sunday afternoon, June 9. These unique trophies are designed and manufactured by BRP’s Innovation and Design team, based in Valcourt, Québec. While attending the ‘’Open House Day’' at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve, it will also be possible to obtain the 2013 official program and gear or souvenir objects, always popular with collectors.

It is important to remind everyone that no vehicle will be allowed on site and that it will be required to use the STM metro service to attend the Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada "Open House Day".

Grandstands 1, 22 and 34 are now sold-out

The Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada confirmed today that grandstands 1, 22 and 34 are now full, having sold all seats available to the public for June 7, 8 and 9.
Old 23 May 2013, 01:54 (Ref:3251970)   #59
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think it's brilliant how much you love this race ....
Old 23 May 2013, 12:40 (Ref:3252159)   #60
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a one man thread.
Old 23 May 2013, 13:00 (Ref:3252166)   #61
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
It's a one man thread.
So was the US Grand Prix thread..
Old 23 May 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3252402)   #62
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I think it's brilliant how much you love this race ....
Why, thank you, Jeremy. That's the nicest thing you've ever said about me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
It's a one man thread.
Well, mostly, but it does have 6,593 views. I guess guys keep coming back to see more of my Montreal F1 Babe photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
So was the US Grand Prix thread..
Jeremy, if you hadn't locked that thread, it would still be going strong. Part Deux alone had 853 replies and 50,561 views. A relative handful of them were mine. Perhaps we should start Part Trois...relax, Jeremy, just kidding.

Now, because everyone is waiting for more reasons why Montreal is the greatest F1 race in the world, here's the programming for this year's Crescent Street Grand Prix Festival:

Le Festival Grand Prix de Crescent Street 2013

Thursday, June 6, 2013

12:30pm Opening Ceremony
1:00pm Celebrity Pit Stop Challenge
4:30pm Media Pit Stop Challenge
5:00pm DJ Karl Bastien on the Bud Light Stage
5:45pm Driver autograph session with David Coulthard sponsored by TW Steel on the Bud Light Stage
7:15pm Rebound on the Bud Light Stage
9:30pm Classified presented by Public Mobile on the Bud Light Stage

Friday, June 7, 2013

All day Pit Stop Challenge
5:00pm DJ Lopez on the Bud Light Stage
6:30pm ZOLO on the Bud Light Stage
7:15pm Queen Tribute on the Bud Light Stage
8:45pm TruCulture Fashion Show on the Bud Light Stage
9:15pm Rise Up on the Bud Light Stage

Saturday, June 8, 2013

All day Pit Stop Challenge
4:30pm DJ Skittlezzz on the Bud Light Stage
5:30pm Autograph session with Emerson Fittipaldi presented by TW Steel on the Bud Light Stage
6:30pm AZ WE R on the Bud Light Stage
7:00pm Shine on the Bud Light Stage
9:00pm Bud Light Special on the Bud Light stage featuring GCR-MC NICOLL AND GUESTS
Old 23 May 2013, 22:38 (Ref:3252432)   #63
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canadian checking in. I hope to be there! We will see...
Old 23 May 2013, 22:40 (Ref:3252435)   #64
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Scotsman checking in. I'll be there too! Counting down the seconds...
Old 24 May 2013, 02:12 (Ref:3252489)   #65
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Coulthard once said...Montreal has the best strippers in the world!
Old 24 May 2013, 02:32 (Ref:3252491)   #66
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a fond spot in my heart for Montreal. It was my first F1 race
in '95. Just an great trip. Highlites were:

1) Alesi's only F1 win- on his birthday!
2)Fence came down at the finish line with
fans rushing the podium with cars still coming across
the line! I was standing right there and got it on video.
3)Roostertails hitting the walkover bridges during a wet warmup.
4)Great food downtown.I can remember doing a Chinese buffet
in China town.
5) It was like being in a really nice city park in the middle of a racetrack.
6) The best memory of all- screaming 12 cylinders coming out of 2!
Old 25 May 2013, 00:30 (Ref:3252866)   #67
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post

Budapest has great strip clubs as well if you're going to the Hungaroring.

I may or may not be speaking from personal experiences...
Old 25 May 2013, 05:37 (Ref:3252928)   #68
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Apparently, Club Super Sexe is renowned. I do not frequent strip clubs however.
Old 25 May 2013, 19:31 (Ref:3253135)   #69
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
Apparently, Club Super Sexe is renowned. I do not frequent strip clubs however.
Absolutely !
Old 25 May 2013, 19:40 (Ref:3253141)   #70
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
There seems to be a demand for information about Montreal's famous (infamous?) "ballet studios," so before you go, read this guide from www.connectedmontreal.com

Strip Clubs in Montreal: A Complete List.

Top 10 Montreal Strip Club Mistakes

"Strippers are as trust worthy as an ’87 Yugo. A good rule of thumb is not to believe anything they say."
Old 25 May 2013, 22:04 (Ref:3253196)   #71
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And, "oh yeah, if you get stabbed (walking in there)...just keep on walking."
Old 25 May 2013, 23:44 (Ref:3253217)   #72
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Jacques Villeneuve has always been somewhat of a controversial figure in Quebec. While everyone loves his father, Gilles, Jacques has never been viewed with the same affection by Quebecers.

He grew up in Europe while Gilles was winning races for Ferrari. He attended private school in Switzerland; he has lived outside of Québec most of his life; and he speaks French with an accent that is more French than Québecois. Though he has made Montréal his home for a number of years, it was never his real home.

With his latest comments about Québec, he seems to have burned his bridges with the city and the province.

Quebec's 'evolution' led to departure: Jacques Villeneuve
LOUIS BUTCHER, QMI AGENCY
torontosun.com
Saturday, May 25, 2013 03:13 PM EDT

MONTREAL - Former Formula 1 champion Jacques Villeneuve said he left Quebec because of the province’s language laws, business climate and the general “morose ambiance.”

In an exclusive interview with QMI Agency, Villeneuve, who works as an F1 analyst on French and Italian television, said he “no longer felt at home” in Quebec.

He recently sold his luxurious home in one of Montreal’s wealthiest neighbourhoods and is now living in Andorra...

In particular, Villeneuve targeted the province’s language laws, which legislate the use of the French language. He said it’s up to parents to teach their children how to speak French...

Old 27 May 2013, 20:17 (Ref:3254195)   #73
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
If anyone out there is considering making some last-minute plans to attend the race in Montreal, it's still possible to do so. Not only that, but it looks like there are some relative bargains to be had.

First, for race tickets, Groupon has a great offer for bronze Grandstand 33 (I sat here one year and it's a good view):

Grand Prix du Canada 2013 – Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve
C$199 for Three-Day Pass to the Formula 1 Racing Event on June 7–9 ($267.50 Value)

Second, there appear to be some relatively good deals on downtown hotels through Hotwire. Do a search for Montreal, Friday June 7 - Monday, June 10, location = downtown or Old Montreal, class = 2 stars or more. I found 10 hotels with rooms ranging in price from $161-$342/night (still a lot, but cheaper and better than most other F1 locations). I think the best deal would be a 3 or 4 star hotel in either downtown or Old Montreal.

Last, how to get there? If you're within driving distance, that's the best bet at this point. If you need to fly, it might be hard to get a good fare on flights into Montreal. But consider flying into someplace like Boston, Manchester, NH or Burlington, Vermont, or maybe Ottawa, Canada. Burlington is only 75 miles from Montreal. You can rent a car fairly cheaply from any of those locations and drive to Montreal. You could also take a bus that delivers you to downtown Montreal.

The future of the Montreal race beyond the expiration of the current contract in 2014 is still in doubt. The city needs to meet Bernie's demands for a higher sanctioning fee and improvements to the track infrastructure. Given the current political situation in Quebec, coming up with the money is not a sure thing. If you've ever wanted to go or to come back to the Montreal race, now is a good time to do it.

Old 29 May 2013, 00:57 (Ref:3254792)   #74
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
Why, thank you, Jeremy. That's the nicest thing you've ever said about me.

Don't get any ideas...
Old 29 May 2013, 02:02 (Ref:3254795)   #75
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
The Montreal race takes place on a picturesque island in the St. Lawrence River. Most of the year, the island serves as a public park. The road that circles the island serves as the track and, by law, it can only be used for racing twice a year.

The beautiful park is home to a few permanent residents, among whom are the famous racing groundhogs, which have sometimes been spotted on the track during past race weekends.

Today I learned that, according to a Montreal photographer named Bernard Bujold, there are other animals who make the island their permanent home. He says on his Web site and his Facebook page that he was walking on and near the track recently (which is allowed until the week before the race) when he photographed this mother fox and a couple kits.

I can believe this, because I myself have seen and photographed many foxes in Montreal.