Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 14 Jan 2009, 14:14 (Ref:2371340)   #26
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACSMC regs state this:

Cars using forced induction will be classified as having an engine capacity increase of 40%, those using diesel fuel a reduction of 30% (e.g. a 2000cc turbo diesel will be considered to be the equivalent to a 1960cc normally aspirated petrol engine).
Old 15 Jan 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2371960)   #27
steve dummett
Rookie

United Kingdom
chepstow
steve dummett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mini 1380 mod

yep they are quick !!!!! look at the stuff we beat last year at coombe in a 1380 ( lotus elise porsche morgan v8s to name a few !!! the little blue smurf can be found on castle coomb website photo forum or pegasus club 2008 galary !! kind regards steve d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole
Simon,
that would put it in a modified class, and believe me, they are mighty effective, but as standard, they may not be as quick as a modern.
As an aside, I lost out in the classic trophy this year to a 72 renault alpine, it was in the standard class and beat all of the moderns in it, they retail these days for around thirty grand. What a great car though.
Claypole
Old 15 Jan 2009, 14:12 (Ref:2372003)   #28
Claypole
Rookie

United Kingdom
Boston
Claypole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still feel sorry for the bloke who drove to Curborough in a hayabusa mini, and then ended up in spots libre against the single seaters because he had a tubular rear chassis.
I think he expected to be in the mod prod car class. Fast, but not that fast.
Claypole
Old 20 Jan 2009, 07:32 (Ref:2375038)   #29
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Quote:
I still feel sorry for the bloke who drove to Curborough in a hayabusa mini, and then ended up in spots libre against the single seaters because he had a tubular rear chassis.
I think he expected to be in the mod prod car class. Fast, but not that fast.
Claypole
He'd have been in mod prod even without the tubular chassis.
Old 20 Jan 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2375087)   #30
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
He'd have been in mod prod even without the tubular chassis.
I think you'll find putting a SUZUKI Hayabusa engine in a British Leyand Mini would have seen in him Sports Libre, as opposed to "spots libre", at most organised speed events.

Old 20 Jan 2009, 17:00 (Ref:2375435)   #31
Claypole
Rookie

United Kingdom
Boston
Thanks Steve,
there is nothing a French teacher likes more than being corrected on his French, I can only claim overwork and underpay, two children eating my brain and the mounting excitement of a new season for my typo.
Claypole
Old 21 Jan 2009, 13:45 (Ref:2376106)   #32
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I usually blame my fingers. Less typing involved, so less likely to make another one!

I almost wish we could have a Spots Libre class. The Toulmins would be in it, I wonder who else. Sorry as you were.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 16:41 (Ref:2376231)   #33
Claypole
Rookie

United Kingdom
Boston
Maybe they could create a class specifically for teenagers in any car...
I'll get me coat.
Claypole
Old 21 Jan 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2376252)   #34
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
I almost wish we could have a Spots Libre class. The Toulmins would be in it, I wonder who else. Sorry as you were.
With which car would Jonathan Toulmin be running in Spots Libre? Or do you mean the Tomlins?
Old 21 Jan 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2376425)   #35
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe they could create a class specifically for teenagers in any car...
I'll get me coat.
Claypole
But quite a few clubs do that already as a junior award....
Old 22 Jan 2009, 21:42 (Ref:2377120)   #36
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Or do you mean the Tomlins?
Like I said, finger trouble
Old 28 Jan 2009, 11:28 (Ref:2381343)   #37
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Spotted for sale

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/850150.htm

Pug 205 Rallye - get it bought!
Old 28 Jan 2009, 19:05 (Ref:2381615)   #38
Claypole
Rookie

United Kingdom
Boston
Nice one Steve,
Actually, I have only just seen your post, I had come on tonight to report that my friend has just picked up his new sprint car today.
He is the proud owner of a completely standard 205 xs, and is currently rolling up the M1 pleased as punch in it. (75000miles, full service history etc)
I think he has made a top choice both in terms of competitiveness in his class and with a view to future modifications.
What do you guys think?

Claypole
Old 29 Jan 2009, 09:49 (Ref:2381937)   #39
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Nice one Steve,
Actually, I have only just seen your post, I had come on tonight to report that my friend has just picked up his new sprint car today.
He is the proud owner of a completely standard 205 xs, and is currently rolling up the M1 pleased as punch in it. (75000miles, full service history etc)
I think he has made a top choice both in terms of competitiveness in his class and with a view to future modifications.
What do you guys think?

Claypole
The Pug 205 has great potential. Tell your mate to get in touch with Skip Brown's in Cheshire as they are THE firm when it comes to 205s.

Old 29 Jan 2009, 09:56 (Ref:2381941)   #40
Claypole
Rookie

United Kingdom
Boston
Cheers Steve,
will do, bearing in mind how strict the rules are on altering cars in the standard road class, what do you think Skip Browns could do to improve the car as it is? Without moving up a class, of course.
Claypole
Old 29 Jan 2009, 12:43 (Ref:2382041)   #41
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Cheers Steve,
will do, bearing in mind how strict the rules are on altering cars in the standard road class, what do you think Skip Browns could do to improve the car as it is? Without moving up a class, of course.
Claypole
They can certainly advise on what engine tuning your mate can undertake plus what suspension mods they can recommend within the regs as they do work on several 'Road Going' Pugs that currently do speed events. Finally they should also be able to source a roll-cage that will fit.

Old 8 Feb 2009, 21:48 (Ref:2391313)   #42
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Following of from what Suze said...

I think the Rovers are all fairly flaky when it comes to the electrics, I also think they are a bit too heavy and in that class weight really matters (hence why few use roll cages)

The Nissan Micra is pretty good all round but I think the VW Polo has a bit more grunt. Though the dampers are not so hot. But I'd say the Polo is the best of the bunch

The 205's are all getting a bit long in the tooth now and are down on power. They are also pretty flimsy. A lot of people say go Swift but we had one at North Weald and it got utterly spanked
Old 9 Feb 2009, 10:39 (Ref:2391567)   #43
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
The 205's are all getting a bit long in the tooth now and are down on power. They are also pretty flimsy. A lot of people say go Swift but we had one at North Weald and it got utterly spanked
Sam, the Swifts that I have seen in the South West are very quick (could be the drivers!) whilst in the Midlands and the North West the Peugeots are still the top dogs. I agree that the Rovers are a tad overweight as is the 1400 Puma.

It all boils down to budget and I suppose if someone had unlimited funds they could slot a 1.4 K series in an Elise and clean up!

Old 9 Feb 2009, 11:07 (Ref:2391590)   #44
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whilst wishing to tread carefully, I would suggest the Swift got beaten due to not being pedalled to it's potential.
Old 9 Feb 2009, 17:21 (Ref:2391821)   #45
armchair racer
Racer

England
Suburbia
armchair racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For my money the citroen ax gti is a good bet ( sprinted one myself ) , cheap to buy , light as a feather , 100 bhp as standard ( 205 xs is about 86 bhp ) , lovely jubellly , also the 106 xs is popular , same engine as ax gti ...
Old 17 Feb 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2399212)   #46
kjw
Racer

United Kingdom
East Kent
kjw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A well prepared 1380 mini is hard to beat if driven well.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2399838)   #47
armchair racer
Racer

England
Suburbia
Always fancied a charade Gtti , 1.0 turbo can be tuned to about 160 bhp , which is not bad for a 3 cylinder 12 valver ..
Old 18 Feb 2009, 23:03 (Ref:2399946)   #48
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair racer
Always fancied a charade Gtti , 1.0 turbo can be tuned to about 160 bhp , which is not bad for a 3 cylinder 12 valver ..
Good shout, one of the most fun cars I've ever driven.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 08:33 (Ref:2400076)   #49
Claypole
Rookie

United Kingdom
Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
Good shout, one of the most fun cars I've ever driven.
But hypothetically, would the turbo not shift it into the 1.4 - 2.0 litre class against some very powerful machinery? I'm liking the idea of 160 horse in a 106 rallye.

Claypole.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2400085)   #50
armchair racer
Racer

England
Suburbia
no , not unless the rules have changed or are different for the championship you are entering it in ...In the championships ive entered it goes like this ...
GTTI 998 cc + 40% for forced induction = just under 1400cc
I wouldnt bet on getting 160 bph out of a rallye engine , not at reasonable cost , the gtti being a turbo can be chipped at a lot less cost than a n/a engine , and its more or less a bullet proof engine ...they call it the mini EVO