Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Mar 2011, 20:24 (Ref:2843548)   #1
Rory
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Rory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Use of Add-ons in Testing

Seeing as there's no regulating factors during testing, there is a very distinct lack of clarity as to who, what, when and how, the likes of KERS and DRS are used. Indeed, as Rubens quite rightly points out, teams could be steaming round a lap and opening the rear wing at every possible chance.
Likewise, KERS could be being used more than it will be allowed during a race weekend.

With so many unknown factors, essentially, times posted during testing are a complete lottery.

I say this in the quite blatant hope that McLaren are holding back on unleashing everything the latest MP4-26 has to offer, but I do find it slightly strange that the likes of Button and Hamilton have both publically came out and slated it. This just doesn't ring true to me. Why go public with such statements, when the first wheel of the first race, is still some weeks off? It will not benefit McLaren one little bit.

With Sauber posting top time today (Thursday), I'm even more positive that there is little to be read into these test times this winter. It will give you a reasonable guide (ie, Lotus, Virgin etc are still as slow as watching paint dry) and RBR, Ferrari, Renault are up at the pointy end... but to hand out plaudits or write anyone off? I think this rather folly.

All will be revealed come Friday practice when we see teams running on a slightly more even keel. Cars will have to pass scrutineering and we'll have sector times and speed trap times to go along with the knowledge of what tyres they are running on.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 23:23 (Ref:2843678)   #2
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
If the drivers are bagging the car, you can be pretty certain its not where they want it!
Old 11 Mar 2011, 03:10 (Ref:2843731)   #3
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory View Post
...but I do find it slightly strange that the likes of Button and Hamilton have both publically came out and slated it. This just doesn't ring true to me. Why go public with such statements, when the first wheel of the first race, is still some weeks off? It will not benefit McLaren one little bit.

If I had designed such a radical car I might sandbag on the times, and tell my drivers to diss it, in order to trick other teams to not start copying the design until the last possible minute when I won the first GP by a ten minute margin and they realised how good it is.

On the other hand sandbagging is thought to be a myth by some people as they reckon it's not possible to test properly, especially the tyres, without going flat out so...
Old 11 Mar 2011, 13:23 (Ref:2843942)   #4
Rory
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Rory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
But that's the exact point I'm trying to make cmotd.... that teams could be using KERS or not be using KERS. The main use of KERS is it not, is either down a straight, or to give you a bit of a boost coming out of corners or up an incline. It would not generally be used during cornering, for which teams will be experiencing the loads/grip levels in any case at this moment in time.

It is perceivable, that a team could be running around, not using the DRS or KERS to it's full capacity, safe in the knowledge they work, and that they will be unleashed in full during qualy. Just how much a fully deployed DRS and allocation of KERS boost gives the likes of RBR, Ferrari and McLaren, I don't know. I would hazard around 0.5 to 1.0s a lap?
Old 11 Mar 2011, 23:13 (Ref:2844266)   #5
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to be at Friday practice in Melbourne so I should find out during FP2 what the deal is