Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Closed Thread

Old 12 Aug 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2267707)   #1
sauber11
Racer

Russian Federation
sauber11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2008/09 GP2 Asia & 2009 GP2 Main Series Off season/General discussion)

Hamad Al Fardan signed for Isport, yet only for Gp2 asia.
http://www.isportinternational.com/n...008&sequence=5
Quote:
The deal sees Gulf Finance House, one of the most successful Islamic investment banks in the Middle East, enter into a partnership with current European GP2 Series champion’s iSport International after signing what is thought to be the biggest ever sponsorship deal in the history of the Formula One feeder series.
I know, its too early, but can we open thread gp2 contracts or gp2 asia , maybe after we get more info about contracts.
Dont know about asia, but in main championship i believe
1)Since Mallya want to hold current line-up, Chandhok will stay with isport,i guess both in asia and main. Also its possible,that Senna will try to drive at China to learn the track(mb not with isport).
2) Grosjean will stay with art, like Prema did in 2005-06. Second driver will be Kobayashi in asia, mb he also in main or Hulkenberg(all them former art f3 boys). The german second choise will be super nova, due to Sears-german a1 team connection.
3)Fillipi will be back to Super nova, i know it)) And i believe, ammermuller will be back, with trident or super nova(tnx to Weber ).Schlegelmilch with trident ,Petrov with campos.
4)from Red bull family Buemi will get a better seat(art,piquet,campos) and Maki will step up to Arden. Mb Alguersuari to Racing Eng. due to repsol sponsorship(need to win f3 title thus). Aleshin should finally get gp2 drive,with arden likely.
That all so far i think gonna happen.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2267951)   #2
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chandhok has a two year contract with iSport I have been told. Also the team has its other driver lined up and he will be a rookie to GP2. I agree on the Hulk - ART connection but I somehow doubt that Grosjean staying put is a given. The Frenchman will most likely be the hottest thing around over the winter, I am sure all top teams will fight for his services. Also it would be very interesting to see what will happen to Pantano if he doesn't get a F1 deal, will he stay to defend a possible title?
Old 13 Aug 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2268422)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
GP2 Asia & off season discussion (ALREADY!!)

Chandhok signed for 2 seasons GFP?

Bit surprised at that as I would've thought 2 years was enough. Then again maybe he feels he needs further experience beneath F1?

If Grosjean stays in GP2 then I can't see him anywhere else unless Flavio/RDD feel that ART is nolonger the team for the budding stars.

The only thing holding him back this year is experience I reckon. Next year he will be a deadly force.

Sauber I like your thoughts, I'd also hope to see Van Der Drift in the Asia series, but I suspect he wil be looking at WSR for money reasons. What do you reckon guys?

Last edited by chunterer; 13 Aug 2008 at 12:30.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2268435)   #4
META4
Veteran

META4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not think Van Der Drift will be doing GP2 Asia, as he is in position to drive for A1GP team New Zealand. Hopefully we will see him in GP2 Main serie
Old 13 Aug 2008, 13:35 (Ref:2268470)   #5
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
If Grosjean stays in GP2 then I can't see him anywhere else unless Flavio/RDD feel that ART is nolonger the team for the budding stars.
Well, normally the best place to put your hot prospect is the current championship winning team and ART has not won the series for two years now. Will Flav keep the faith on ART? And what about Buemi, will Red Bull keep on trusting his career on Arden? Time will tell.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 16:17 (Ref:2268555)   #6
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you think any of the guys from Brittish F3 will be moving up?
Old 13 Aug 2008, 16:49 (Ref:2268566)   #7
WSR Fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
WSR Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink
Do you think any of the guys from Brittish F3 will be moving up?
The only one I could possibly see moving up is Sergio Perez, what with his considerable Telmex backing.

Red Bull could decide to promote either Hartley or Alguersuari, but I expect them to stay in F3 for another year, possibly moving up to Carlin's Euroseries team.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 17:16 (Ref:2268582)   #8
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will throw Kasper Andersen into the game..

He is negotiating a seat in Superleague Formula, however one of the teams interested in him is Fisichella Motor Sport. So I would not be surprised to see a link to GP2..
Old 13 Aug 2008, 18:46 (Ref:2268630)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSR Fan
The only one I could possibly see moving up is Sergio Perez, what with his considerable Telmex backing.

Red Bull could decide to promote either Hartley or Alguersuari, but I expect them to stay in F3 for another year, possibly moving up to Carlin's Euroseries team.
Good points there!! Wouldn't Telmex promote Duran from WSR before Perez though? Maybe Perez goes to WSR to replace Duran.

Or would Telmex back a 2 car team in GP2? Hmmm......

Re Red Bull I think we might see one driver from British F3 and one from Euro F3 moving up to replace Buemi and one of the other 'supported' drivers, or perhaps support 2 or 3 full liveried cars next year. Aleshin or Wickens could be the 3rd?
Old 13 Aug 2008, 18:48 (Ref:2268631)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
I will throw Kasper Andersen into the game..

He is negotiating a seat in Superleague Formula, however one of the teams interested in him is Fisichella Motor Sport. So I would not be surprised to see a link to GP2..
But how much has his disrupted season hurt his plans? Kasper is undoubtedly a very quick driver but has he enough backing and is he likely to be at the top of teams 'wanted' lists to run him in Winter series, let alone the 2009 season?
Old 14 Aug 2008, 10:06 (Ref:2268937)   #11
sauber11
Racer

Russian Federation
sauber11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...12110829.shtml
jules bianci stays another year in f3 with art.
Yes, i expect a lot of guys with low sponsorship do a1gp or wsr rather than gp2.
+1 about telmex guys, and i think its too big step from british f3 to gp2, so guys like hartley or perez have more chances going to WSR( hartley continue with carlin of course). And it makes no sence moving from british f3 to euroseries, look at sam bird and breen, just lost their time and money.
And i think mortara in 2009 will drive for ultimate-signature in WSR, not gp2.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 16:14 (Ref:2269111)   #12
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
But how much has his disrupted season hurt his plans? Kasper is undoubtedly a very quick driver but has he enough backing and is he likely to be at the top of teams 'wanted' lists to run him in Winter series, let alone the 2009 season?
Well, I have to admit that the collapse of the Trident plans did hurt his plans. From Formula Masters onto GP2 and then a F1 test. Now he has to depend on a new dizy series like Superleague, to show of his talent.

Obviuosly the Superleague series is really not so interesting in itself, the interesting part is to show teams and sponsors, that he can handle a 750 bhp formula racer, with the (in theory) same poweroutput as a F1.

I think - I dont know - that Kasper right now does not have the backing to go to a tintop GP2 seat. So he could choose to drive in the winterseries, and then hope to end on a wanted list for a full season. Kasper has a unique sponsorsystem of selling shares, and this could hopefully help him on the way.

But basically he has to opt for a chance, rather than buy his way in. Thankfully he has a really good name in the business, as an intelligent driver with speed.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 17:53 (Ref:2269151)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Sounds about right AV, i'm surprised that we haven't heard Alx Danielsson's name mentioned in connection with the soccer series as well, for the very same reason that you say Kasper might be looking at it.

Re GP2 Asia, I guess we can pretty much count on the likes of Tung, Yamamoto, Chandhok, Kobayashi doing it.

Anyone like to put forward some names of other likely Asian entrants?
Old 14 Aug 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2269156)   #14
META4
Veteran

i guess Arman Ebrahim (FRV6 Asia) will be there as well maybe we will see back also Hiroki Yoshimoto and Fairuz Fauzy, hopefully also Earl Bamber, even if he seems to be short of cash
Old 14 Aug 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2269157)   #15
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Sounds about right AV, i'm surprised that we haven't heard Alx Danielsson's name mentioned in connection with the soccer series as well, for the very same reason that you say Kasper might be looking at it.
Good point!

I think that Alx is trying to build on his Renault F1 test, eventhough the test in itself was a bit disappointing for Alx. But I would expect Alx to pop up next year, but it is all about money.

The relatively cheap Euro F3000 season was intended to raise interest from the GP2 teams. But I would guess, that it didnt succeed. So now he has to ask himself, what to do next.

SuperLeague could be the answer. However, the series is not raced in front of the F1 gang, so maybe that in it self could be the explanation for Alx gone missing?

And choosing another series?
Old 17 Aug 2008, 03:03 (Ref:2270330)   #16
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
is the dubai autodrome & track at losail the same track?
Old 17 Aug 2008, 03:18 (Ref:2270331)   #17
META4
Veteran

no it is not Dubai is in UAE and Losail is in Qatar
Old 17 Aug 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2270457)   #18
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
thought that - just the 5.400km length of each threw me...
Old 19 Aug 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2271520)   #19
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the championship is full of grave in middle east. asia name is bad application but i hope this year the organiser brings more asian drivers and get tv in asia too. european drivers have plenty of leagues to have fun. this championship is not respected by the asians yet. need to improve if they wanna get the same respect they have in europe. they have time yet to send the resignation to the asian bride and the groom.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2271810)   #20
META4
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lam Pak
this championship is not respected by the asians yet. need to improve if they wanna get the same respect they have in europe. they have time yet to send the resignation to the asian bride and the groom.
That is a good joke...

I think you should turn around the problem and think , Why there is not much Asian Drivers in GP2 Asia

The answer is there are not many Experienced and "Wealthy" drivers in Asia. THe only ones who could do it would be the Japanese drivers from Formula Nippon, but they do not use to pay for their drive...
Old 19 Aug 2008, 21:13 (Ref:2271830)   #21
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
META4 there are guys from gulf countries also, guys backed by countries oil companies and other major sponsors in Malaysia, India, Indonesia, probably China... but problem occurs when they get behind wheel. Most of'em is not experienced enough, or not fast enough to bit Euro/Americans. I know that some of them are older than they should be on that level, but am also certain teams can fill seats with Asians if they need/want to, although most of those guys will struggle with 107% rule, and with machinery they need to drive.

What is respected Championship backed by Asians? AF3? AFR? Sometimes I just don't get your point Lam Pak.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 21:50 (Ref:2271855)   #22
F3 Rocks
Racer

Wales
F3 Rocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K
META4 there are guys from gulf countries also, guys backed by countries oil companies and other major sponsors in Malaysia, India, Indonesia, probably China... but problem occurs when they get behind wheel. Most of'em is not experienced enough, or not fast enough to bit Euro/Americans. I know that some of them are older than they should be on that level, but am also certain teams can fill seats with Asians if they need/want to, although most of those guys will struggle with 107% rule, and with machinery they need to drive.

What is respected Championship backed by Asians? AF3? AFR? Sometimes I just don't get your point Lam Pak.
What about Fauzy, Does he fit your Asian Driver profile. He finnished 4th in the championship ahead of many of this seasons GP2 main series "stars". GP2 Asia run in his back yard gave him a great opportunity to race in his region and impress his countrymen and sponsors who support him in Europe how will he get sponsors from Malaysia to support him this season in an "Asian" series with 8 of the races run in the Middle East. I agree with Lam Pak, Asia should be Asia and the rule that one driver should be Asian should have been administered. If I was Asian I would feel aggrieved like Lam Pak,This series needs rebranding "GP2 Middle East open to Europeans/Americans only + a token local"
Old 19 Aug 2008, 21:57 (Ref:2271862)   #23
META4
Veteran

The problem is as mentioned previously Asian drivers are not Experienced to drive a GP2 Car. How many Asian drivers could do it in GP2 Asia?

Fauzy,Ebrahim,Chandhok,Pin Tung,Yoshimoto

The rule of One Asian Driver an one "European" driver was already established last season , but teams were struglling to find proper Asian Drivers so the allowed Teams to accept 2 "European" drivers
Old 19 Aug 2008, 22:44 (Ref:2271881)   #24
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Calm down F3 Rocks, I just pointed that there many "token locals" in the Asian area. And every team should find Asian lad for the squad... whatever his skills are.

To be honest I question GP2 Series Asian edition existance. IMO they should promote all Asian championship on their own. Cheapper championship run on Asian circuits, let's forget about Asian F3, maybe Asian equivalent of proposed Formula 2 can be ruled. Cheapper championship, one make/engine/tyre, maybe International Formula Master?!
Old 19 Aug 2008, 23:03 (Ref:2271890)   #25
META4
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K
Calm down F3 Rocks, I just pointed that there many "token locals" in the Asian area. And every team should find Asian lad for the squad... whatever his skills are.

To be honest I question GP2 Series Asian edition existance. IMO they should promote all Asian championship on their own. Cheapper championship run on Asian circuits, let's forget about Asian F3, maybe Asian equivalent of proposed Formula 2 can be ruled. Cheapper championship, one make/engine/tyre, maybe International Formula Master?!
I completly agree about that , i think Asia need a proper Motorsport ladder .
Closed Thread

Tags
bruno senna, dallara, gp2, gp2 entries, gp2 test, silly season