Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Nov 2014, 20:47 (Ref:3474334)   #1
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Classic 24 Hours of Daytona

The first Daytona 24 hour race for historic and vintage race cars is this weekend. Should be an interesting race with 6 groups rotating through hour long sessions. Or in other words, each car will run for an hour and then have a 5 hour break while the other groups race.
http://www.classic24hour.com/

Some current drivers will be racing like, Pat Long, Leh Keen, Scott Sharp, JvO, and Chris Dyson as well as some classics like Andy Wallace, Hurley Haywood, Gijs Van Lennep, Jochen Mass, Jurgen Barth, and many others.

Not to mention a pretty good assortment of classic machinery with one or more Jaguar XJR7, Audi R8 LMP, Ferrari 333SP, Pescarolo, Porsche 935, Ford GT40, and several Porsche 962's which should be spectatular at night. And depending which entry list you believe, a Chrysler LMP and Toyota GTP could show up.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 21:59 (Ref:3474356)   #2
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
That entrylist is unbelievable. A sportscar lovers dream . Hope there is some coverage of the race over the weekend.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 22:14 (Ref:3474362)   #3
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wouldn't count on having more than few shoddy press releases, pics and random half a minute handheld youtube clips.

As I said in the Maserati thread (isn't it awesome to have MC12 racing again ) the rules don't really make sense to me with the 2010 cutoff date, as you have post-2010 things like "Corvette DPs" and newer registered GTs there as well.

The older vintage stuff is nice, but generally speaking you see so much of it in historic racing today anyway that it doesn't feel so special anymore, that's why it's so fresh to see so many 1990- equipment out there! Especially LMP and bigger GTs, the Grand-Am division not so much.

Only one Riley&Scott (MKIII) is a bit surprise

Oh and since they are sprint segments and no-one is marketizing this little thing for anyone, you should have wave-by & free pass / NASCAR phantom caution / orchestrated finish + GWC free racing at the speedway, which is rare and pleasant. Of course, there is one LMPC out there at least, so look out for it crashing into something.

Last edited by Deleted; 13 Nov 2014 at 22:22.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 22:53 (Ref:3474378)   #4
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
To be fair, weren't the dps historic at every stage throughout the last 10 years?
Old 13 Nov 2014, 23:00 (Ref:3474383)   #5
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good point.

There's more high tech stuff in this one...
Old 15 Nov 2014, 22:19 (Ref:3475186)   #6
Deleted
Veteran

Some onboards here
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/55457701

Too bad that the event PR is utter crap, but I guess you can't expect too much from debut historics happening. Still, at least something on the official site would've been nice.

So fugly still...

The MC12 is running in the slow ass 2010 spec and with Pirellis, but nevertheless she looks as good as ever

Last edited by Deleted; 15 Nov 2014 at 22:33.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 00:02 (Ref:3475217)   #7
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The cars at Daytona a truly amazing. The Maserati, severla Porsche 962s, 906, 907 (!) a variety of Vipers, Greenwood Corvette (!) (out with a broken gearbox but fixed for the next round I think.)

And some DPs ...

Some good racing, mostly just intermittent two-car battles, but would be worth it just seeing some of those cars.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 21:50 (Ref:3475566)   #8
Deleted
Veteran

If only would you get such wide array for Le Mans historics, instead of same old bunch of groups... well I guess the lack of DP at Sarthe is a plus regardless

Results (annoyingly just drivers and number listed so you need to do some digging, and also no overalls): https://www.race-monitor.com/Results/Race/23889

Lovely Champion Racing colored Audi R8 of Rogers Motorsport won the Group E overall

Last edited by Deleted; 16 Nov 2014 at 21:57.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 22:14 (Ref:3475575)   #9
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
A near 13 year old Audi lmp. That orange dp was 2nd overall.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 23:19 (Ref:3475594)   #10
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great pics. Wish I could have been there.

Seeing this made me think how cool it would be to be able to examine old cars vs new cars side by side. 917 next to a 962 next to a WSC next to the Spyder and a 919. Other makes would be welcome in my dream comparison as well. But just to see shapes, dimensions, etc and hear them all fire up.....
Old 17 Nov 2014, 02:31 (Ref:3475654)   #11
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here's some video I shot of the racing this weekend. Pretty fun event!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yszIqZwaMuQ
Old 17 Nov 2014, 03:33 (Ref:3475662)   #12
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post

Awesome footage!
I'd almost forgotten how beautiful that Champion Audi R8 is.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 03:53 (Ref:3475666)   #13
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This event was the highlight of the race season for me!
Old 17 Nov 2014, 06:06 (Ref:3475683)   #14
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
A near 13 year old Audi lmp. That orange dp was 2nd overall.
Phew, I thought the DP would still win even though it's a historic race...
Old 17 Nov 2014, 13:51 (Ref:3475790)   #15
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great Turtle videoā€”really showed the mix of cars on track, as well as the huge variety of truly historic cars which showed up. Looks like the racing was better on Sunday than Saturdayā€”or maybe just more cars ran the final session and skipped the middle two.

That footage with all the 962s starting their stint was glorious. And I can't abide a blue/dark green Ferrari (to look at) but it sounded okay on the banking, eh?

This event definitely goes on the calendar as a must-see.

On another noteā€”it is interesting that at Daytona, a modern DP can almost keep up with a ten-year-old Audi, which was pretty much the fastest car of its day. I realize there are differences in driver a team prep as it is a pair of amateur operations ... but even the Gen 2 cars can get along pretty well (saw a Gen 2 DP beat a Kudzu-Mazda at Sebring last year.)

The Gen 2 DPs are ugly, but in general, I don't mind DPs in the historic contextā€”they are just more race cars built to different rules at different times.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 01:32 (Ref:3475997)   #16
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Definitely a lot of cars on the entry list never made it on the track, which made it a little thin with sometimes only 11 cars starting. And I REALLY wanted to see that Group 44 Jag out there.

It was without a doubt the most spectators I've seen at an HSR event, with the entire infield lined with cars, buses, and RV's.

My only gripe was it took nearly an hour to get in to the track after I arrived there, due first to the turn 4 tunnel being blocked off, and then after making my way back to the turn 1 tunnel they were not selling tickets to people driving in. I had to park my car and walk across a lot to a building to buy tickets, the problem with that being there were over 50 people in line in front of me. It took over half an hour to get tickets and then I still had to get in line to actually drive in to the infield. I honestly could have arrived at the Daytona 500 and got into the track quicker. I'm sure this turned away some spectators.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 06:58 (Ref:3476072)   #17
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Wow! That was just heaven for me. So many different cars across different eras, a joy to watch . I loved the gaggle of 962s and the night footage of the late model class with the Champion R8, Pescarolo, Vitaphone Mc12 etc. Just brilliant to see. I'm on the wrong side of the world, would've been awesome to be there.

Thankyou so much for posting up your footage as there doesn't seem to be much out there.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 10:55 (Ref:3476133)   #18
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Who's that on the comms? Almost sounded like Hindy and Jim Roller?
Old 18 Nov 2014, 12:49 (Ref:3476185)   #19
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Andrew Marriot was definitely on there from what I could hear.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3476300)   #20
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I thought it sounded like John also, but he should have been in Bahrain so I think it might be someone with a very similar voice, and as Graz said Andrew Marriot was one of the announcers.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 12:58 (Ref:3476554)   #21
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some nice Pics from the event from Motorsport.com

http://www.motorsport.com/vintage/ph...id=1789196&i=1
Old 20 Nov 2014, 04:38 (Ref:3476795)   #22
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some very cool shots in the video there Lanky Turtle. Interesting to see some of those cars from the 90s/early 2000s running again.
Old 13 Oct 2015, 11:50 (Ref:3582476)   #23
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is coming up. Trying to make room on the calendar for it.

http://www.hsrrace.com/2015/Daytona/...EventPage.html
Old 13 Oct 2015, 19:42 (Ref:3582560)   #24
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.classic24hour.com/news.html
Old 14 Oct 2015, 02:05 (Ref:3582646)   #25
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
That's a good article. That weekend sure is attracting some heavy weights
of motorsports. The track is really fun to roam around when its not as
packed as the Rolex 24. Might be cool to check out the new stands
of Daytona Rising. Should be plenty of elbow room. Looking forward
to the entry list coming out Thurs.