Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Sep 2006, 14:11 (Ref:1704177)   #1
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fitting in at the Revival

This is a corrolary of the Goodwood Revival thread, which I have enjoyed reading and contributing to, however, to avoid any dissention I thought I would air my thoughts on 'dress' outside of the main thread.

JT says that he sees no need to dress up for the Revival and wears what he normally would at a race meeting, and several other posters have indicated the same approach. Well as everyone seems to have fully enjoyed the event and are full of praise for the drivers, cars, races and organisation it smacks to me of double standards.

'Fine I'll take full advantage of what Lord March is doing but I won't contribute.'

The whole point of the Revival is that 'Magical step back in time.' and while it is impossible to revert completely to 1948/59/63, everything is done to make it as authentic as reasonably can be. Why not dress up? It hardly cost a fortune and adds greatly to the occasion, why just take? Put a little back. after all it is for the benefit of everyone and not just the priveleged few.

As I have access to the Paddock I must comply with the dress code, but even if I were spectating at Fordwater I would still feel obliged to add my twopennorth to the ambiance.

I am sure many will agree with me, but equally I foresee a whole load of calumny being heaped on poor old bauble, still I wil risk it to see whether I stand alone or with the majority.

I do not wish to upset the 'Old Geezer' or anyone else so if I have, I apologise in advance. You can always spit in my beer at the Britcar over the weekend.

regards,

BB
Old 7 Sep 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1704217)   #2
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To me the event used to be all about the cars and the racing but now it's more of a garden party/social event where the "Henrys" can dress up, enjoy the huge amount of hospitality regardless of whether they even watch any races.

I much prefer the Silverstone Classic meeting, both for a wider range of cars, better access and because it's yet to be spoiled by the corporate "set".

The Revival 2005 was my fourth and last visit, the CAA/Goodwood farce saw to that.

May I quote a friend, who attended this year, from another forum who has summed it up perfectly :

"So here’s what I suggest. Either A) turn the thing into a giant period garden party and forget about the motor-racing (as many of the crowd seem inclined to do now anyway) or B) drop the period pretence and turn it back into a proper race meeting for real motorsport fans."

Last edited by brands; 7 Sep 2006 at 15:15.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 15:18 (Ref:1704220)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is the one occasion a year when I do not mind wearing a tie. I did not dress up one year and felt completely 'out of it'. I find it far more enjoyable to join in. I did spot a couple in their Jenson Button caps and Honda shirts. I hope they enjoyed it but they did stick out like a sore thumb!

Yes there may be a number of corporate types who do not watch the action but you only have to look at the photos in today's Autosport to see how many were watching trackside. Silverstone for me is stone cold for historic racing lacking any atmosphere. Modern GP tracks are totally unsuitable with massive run offs, miles of beach and armco and huge debris fences.

Last edited by Andrew Kitson; 7 Sep 2006 at 15:21.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1704230)   #4
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From the Goodwood site :

Quote:
Revival is world's biggest vintage fashion event

The Revival attracts 100,000 visitors, an incredible 70 per cent of whom are in period costume
Most did dress up.....and I wish the motorsport fans amongst those all the best.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 15:38 (Ref:1704236)   #5
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only went for the first time this year and having paddock access, I dressed appropriately. I did not mind. In most cases it looked like you could just get away with wearing a period hat or flat cap and tie. That's not so hard?

brands, to your mate, there are hundreds of other meetings like that, historic, vintage or speed events where you are not required to dress up. Why remove the primary thing that makes the revival unique (that being its theme)?
Old 7 Sep 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1704241)   #6
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why should attendance at a sporting event 'require' a dress code for general access?

It isn't a fancy dress party.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 15:55 (Ref:1704242)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Why remove the primary thing that makes the revival unique (that being its theme)?
It is not just the dressing up though. Lord March has gone to enormous lengths to keep the whole site and circuit looking 'period'. Hence the cars just look 'right' on this one circuit. It has often been referred to as like a massive film set, therefore obvious to try and encourage the spectators to join in with period attire as a background prop. Like most here I go to loads of meetings including HSCC etc. The revival is just so different and special because of the ambience, the sense of occasion and it would not be the same if everybody turned up in their modern gear spoiling the look.

Don't forget the racing is bluddy good too - some of the best historic racing I have seen has been at the revival. It seems to bring the best out of some drivers, they appear to try harder and want to win at Goodwood and all historic drivers, car owners and teams want that invite and to join in with the attire.

One meeting a year we can accept the dressing up surely as it would not work at any other circuit?
Old 7 Sep 2006, 15:59 (Ref:1704247)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Why should attendance at a sporting event 'require' a dress code for general access?

It isn't a fancy dress party.
Ian you only need to wear a shirt and tie to get in the inner paddock. Dressing up is not compulsory. Only by going and experiencing the event can one truly appreciate why so many do.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 16:05 (Ref:1704251)   #9
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
In simple terms, my opinion is there are 2 good meetings (Goodwood and Silverstone), and you take your choice over which one and style you attend. NO-ONE is forcing you to attend either, so if one is not to your liking, then don't go to it! At least there is a choice, so use your democratic right to decide for yourself and not force an opinion on others!!!!!!
Old 7 Sep 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1704261)   #10
brands
Veteran

Andrew and Zac

The races is great, some of the best in the UK. That's why I first went.

The circuit does look in period apart from the huge hospitality tents that are now everywhere along with adverts on the PA and TV screens, concession stand for the local Lexus and Jaguar dealerships etc

A few years ago most people didn't dress up, it's only since the event has incresed the hospitality side of the meeting by a huge amount that the dressing up percentage has incresed to the now reported 70%.

The problem is that I would imagine a large number of those are not motorsport fans and are only there for the social/garden party side of things.

Each to their own.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 16:27 (Ref:1704262)   #11
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone one is of course entitled to their opinions, and no-one (including Lord March) is forcing anyone to act or dress in a way that they don’t want to. I’ve only ever marshalled, and I’m not sure what I’d do if I was to attend in a non-official capability. Probably attempt to dress smartish (a challenge)..

There have always been plenty of spectators that wear “normal” gear, and to be honest it never affects my enjoyment of the day. It’s just a case of what individuals feel comfortable in. Why would anyone feel awkward that some other spectators want to dress up??

Brands - With regards to the aircraft safety zone, by all accounts it was a bit awkward last year, but do you want to miss out on Goodwood forevermore on the back of one bad experience? Or where there other issues? I have to say that watching most historics (especially the really old cars) around Silverstone is just slightly numbing..
Old 7 Sep 2006, 16:37 (Ref:1704268)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I have to say that the first revival in 1998 is the greatest motor race meeting I have ever been to. It was so successful and inevitable that the corporate thing would latch on to it. At least the Lexus and Jaguar stands were across the road in the car park area away from the circuit itself and I agree the ads on the screens were a little imposing, however it must cost a fortune to put on and sponsors of the event would of course expect something in return, hence the hospitality marquees. The massive one on Lavant straight BTW was for the GRRC members. A pity the modern world safety 'compensation culture' affects this event too, hence the new CAA regs in not allowing aircraft to land while cars are on track. The FJ race was stopped for this reason to allow a bi-plane to land apparantly low on fuel.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1704287)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
one has to dress appropriately to go to posh nag races, so why not Goodwood Revival? its not just the races, its the whole event.

IMO if you can;t be bothered to go with the period flow then you should be turned away, or don't bother going in the first place.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1704314)   #14
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew, I hope you were agreeing with me. I tried to clarify that I meant the whole event by saying 'theme' rather than dress code.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 17:49 (Ref:1704328)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thank goodness! So far I seem to have a lot of support for 'dressing up', I suppose you could liken it to being invited to formal dinner and turning up in jeans! Not the done thing, doncha know! Yes! It's about good manners and consideration for others. Easy to say 'Why should I, it's a free world ain it, what's it matta anywhy?'
As has been pointed out, you don't have to go, but if you do, what's the problem with putting yourself out for the sake of others?

It's called being English. (NO offence to any other nationality.intended)
Old 7 Sep 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1704334)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Clearly, I have:-

1) Double standards
2) Should get turned away having been relieved of £88
3) No manners
4) No consideration for others.

Should I resign as mod or shall I continue to spend hours of my own time posting pics and reports on the Goodwood Revival thread. Hmm.... difficult; give me a couple of days to think about it!
Old 7 Sep 2006, 18:17 (Ref:1704350)   #17
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see how on earth what you wear is "showing consideration for others". I just don't.

Can I suggest that people who get mortally offended by people not wearing the fancy dress are more small-minded than those that choose not to?
Old 7 Sep 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1704354)   #18
bauble
Veteran

England
John,
Do read the last part of my original post, it still stands, but;

If the cap fits.......

(I thought that appropriate in view of the subject matter.)

Kindest regards,

Bob
Old 7 Sep 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1704362)   #19
bauble
Veteran

England
Ian,
We all have a different perspective on these things and we should be able to accomodate all points of view, however, in a democracy if 70% of those attending prefer to 'dress up', then the minority might care to reconsider their position.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1704374)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
People should dress how they want. Free world ain't it?

Were the likes of John turned away? No. So where the problem is, I'm not totally sure.

The periodic dress is a nice touch but at the end of the day, to me at least, it should not be seen as mandatory. Some people may not be comfortable dressing like that for example.

At the end of the day, a lot of people go there to just see the races, not what folk are wearing. That is very much a secondary, novelty thing I guess.

The revival is something on my 'to do list' in future years, but I guess if you are looked down on for wearing "inappropriate" clothes and "not fitting in"....I don't think I'll bother to be honest.

It's like being frowned upon in every day life for not wearing skin tight T-shirts and fancy jeans. A bit narrow minded.

Just let everyone enjoy the event their way.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 19:07 (Ref:1704399)   #21
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just to mention it, when we were shooting the Le Mans Classic, the security guard in front of one of the paddocks ("plateau") summoned us on Friday that on Saturday we would have to wear at least a button down shirt and not a T-shirt. Actually not many people did that the next days, but at least they tried.

On another note, I am all for a full "period" approach. So how many of the visitors, including you readers, left their mobile phones at home?
Old 7 Sep 2006, 19:17 (Ref:1704407)   #22
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good point about the phones, Henk! Guilty as charged - I had a new Nokia in the pocket of my ancient Harris tweed jacket.

I'm a dresser-up and proud of it. This is principally because my natural tendency is towards sports jacket and tie in any case, so it's nice to be in the majority just for once. I'm usually seen in a Bentley club tie at BDC and VSCC Silverstones for that matter, simply to wave the flag, so to speak. And I do recall being spotted by dear old David Holland at the very, very first Goodwood Revival wearing my Bentley tie and hearing "thank God - someone properly dressed at last!"

But I wouldn't make it the subject of a three-line whip though. It's no fun if it's compulsory.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1704411)   #23
COOPERMAN
Rookie

COOPERMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wanted to go in period attire this year as a luftwaffe pilot but i changed my mind as i was worried what others might think least the older generation, the reason behind was that i wanted to be a little different to the regular army/raf/navy etc.. or the cap and sporting jacket approach,plus it would be a little hard to get an near as accurate attire...perhaps next year? ...now wheres my 109??
Old 7 Sep 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1704414)   #24
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands
The problem is that I would imagine a large number of those are not motorsport fans and are only there for the social/garden party side of things.

Each to their own.
Never underestimate the power of a hook to drag people in. Last year, I took someone to their first ever motor race at the 2005 Revival, with the promise that it was an opportunity for her to bring out the posh frock and the Ascot hat which so rarely gets an airing.

Oh boy, did the bug bite! Since then, she's been to Le Mans, VSCC (twice) MG Car Club and another Goodwood, and she's booked herself in for her first track lessons next weekend.

Now she wants an ARDS course for her birthday!
Old 7 Sep 2006, 19:57 (Ref:1704441)   #25
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never been to Goodwood, but from my perspective seeing it on TV it does add a little extra 'wow, that looks great' if everyone wore period dress. But I dont see why everyone should be made to wear it if they dont want to. Perhaps for those that do they could get a freebie, or maybe a discount off the entry fee? That way if you want to make the effort to dress you will be rewarded for your effort, and perhaps at the same time it will persuade people who may not want to dress up, to do so. But you shouldn't be looked down upon just for the way you dress.

I would not think any less of people who dress up in suit and tie to watch the British GP in the middle of summer while stood at Club corner for example!