Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 11 Jan 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1198012)   #1
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Fabrizio Meoni

After the tragic death of Jose Manuel Perez yesterday, it has just been announced that two times Dakar winner in 2001 and 2002, Fabrizio Meoni, was killed on todays stage. He has returned from retirement that he announced last year for one last attempt at the toughest race of them all - the calling of the desert was too much for him.
After a crash out on stage Fabrizio suffered a cardiac arrest, and despite quick intervention by the medical team they were unable to restart his heart after 45 minutes of CPR.
This also follows the tragic death of another multiple Dakar Champion Richard Sainct in the Pharos Rally a few months ago.
The rally is in deep shock after the tragic toll this years event has taken. RIP Fabrizio - you will be missed.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1198042)   #2
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm absolutely stunned by this news. I know little about Meoni beyond what I've seen on Eurosport but he certainly seemed to be enjoying himself out there. My deepest condolences go to his family and team mates.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 13:26 (Ref:1198085)   #3
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I too am stunned, first Perez now this!

We have lost another all time great - on his last Dakar, a really tragedy. :-(

The twin cylinder bikes are just too quick. 120mph in the desert is crazy!
Old 11 Jan 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1198116)   #4
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There has got to be a way to race to Dakar without losing men every year. This is unbearable in our time.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1198198)   #5
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i was petrified.. even now a feek shivers down my spine ..
RIP Fabrizio . my favorite Dakar rider .

Ciao Marco
Old 11 Jan 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1198444)   #6
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrio
There has got to be a way to race to Dakar without losing men every year. This is unbearable in our time.

If you are worried about that, try checking out the death toll for the Isle of Man TT races each year. You may be shocked.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1198459)   #7
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a shock. Two Dakar deaths in two days - first Perez and now superstar Meoni. These two days have been the Dakar's equivalent to Imola 94.

What a tragic few months it has been for rally raid, with Richard Sainct's death in September, and now this. The KTM team might withdraw from this year's Dakar altogether - several riders don't feel like continuing. Even Peterhansel is considering withdrawing from the rally.

It's dangerous, yes - everyone knows that, and we the spectators know that. But two deaths on consecutive days leaves you absolutely gobsmacked.

RIP Fabrizio and José Manuel.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1198523)   #8
sjw75
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
sjw75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rest in Peace..

Team circuitmarshal "In-out round and round"
Old 11 Jan 2005, 22:27 (Ref:1198539)   #9
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching the day's stage just felt meaningless, but it was good to see the highlights from Meoni's Dakar career. In addition to his two victories in 2001 and 2002, who can forget 1998, when he was mad as hell over the GPS equipment not working! Those pictures were good to see again, as they showed his passion for the event. This year's event was his 13th participation in the Dakar rally.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 23:17 (Ref:1198580)   #10
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible, terrible news.

Condolenses to both families, and to everyone on the event.

RIP Fabrizio and José Manuel.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1198586)   #11
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Said R.

It was pretty moving to see Despres, Pujol Cox in tears at the end of the stage and goes to show how much he meant to everyone.

It was good to see some old clips of the good times again, especially 2002 when he blew everone away on the LC8.

He was a true gent and will be sorely missed by all
Old 12 Jan 2005, 02:52 (Ref:1198662)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The desert is a harsh mistress and the men (and women) who race there know they are facing the best that is within them... was the crash the result of the heart failure or do they know yet?

Richard Sainct was my very favourite of the Dakar drivers and I have still not got over his not being with us this year. And now we have lost another. I am reminded of the old days of Formula One, when one didn't dare fix on a driver because the odds were so poor ... but I am sure Meoni faced the challenge willingly and gave the best in himself to a rally raid he loved.

My prayers go with his family and all who loved him and will remember him always.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 05:11 (Ref:1198691)   #13
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Very shocking news indeed.

He gave an interview to the french radio the day before yesterday, saying that it would have been his last Dakar, and that he wanted to spend time with his daugthers at home now...

RIP
Old 12 Jan 2005, 09:30 (Ref:1198789)   #14
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz
was the crash the result of the heart failure or do they know yet?
As I understand it that story came about as a result of miss-information as the news first came out. When the Doctors found him he was in a state of cardiac arrest. It now appears unlikely that a Heart Attack itself caused the crash.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1198831)   #15
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just read this on ceefax - two in two days!
Very Sad - don't know much at all about either riders or the rally itself but always distressing when you learn of people dying doing what they love.
Old 15 Jan 2005, 05:40 (Ref:1201400)   #16
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
A little girl died on the rally too, caught by the wheel of a lorry... Terrible.