Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 Jul 2020, 13:05 (Ref:3989735)   #1
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
BTCC 2021

Seems odd starting a 2021 season thread when the 2020 season hasn't started yet, but here we are.

http://www.btcc.net/2020/07/20/2021-...dar-announced/

3/4 April Brands Hatch (Indy)
17/18 April Donington Park (National)
8/9 May Thruxton
15/16 May Oulton Park (Island)
12/13 June Croft
31 July/1 August Snetterton (300)
14/15 August Knockhill
28/29 August Thruxton
25/26 September Silverstone (National)
9/10 October Brands Hatch (Grand Prix)
Old 20 Jul 2020, 13:34 (Ref:3989745)   #2
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back to two visits to Thruxton then...
Old 20 Jul 2020, 13:54 (Ref:3989753)   #3
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shame, didn't even race it this year and they've gotten rid of it. Much rather that than the second Thruxton. Or even the national circuit.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 14:03 (Ref:3989756)   #4
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Huge shame Silverstone International was dropped, I'm curious what was the reason behind it. Going twice to Thruxton seems pointless given two Silverstone layouts are just like two different racetracks.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 14:27 (Ref:3989768)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Can't find the original story from a few years ago, but I thought it the idea was to rotate the extra round across the different circuits where possible. Maybe the plan was to have 2 rounds at Thruxton on alternate years, being BARC's home circuit.

I can understand dropping Silverstone International if they tried it and it didn't work that well, but seemingly it's been dropped without ever being used.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 15:47 (Ref:3989785)   #6
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Can't find the original story from a few years ago, but I thought it the idea was to rotate the extra round across the different circuits where possible. Maybe the plan was to have 2 rounds at Thruxton on alternate years, being BARC's home circuit.

I can understand dropping Silverstone International if they tried it and it didn't work that well, but seemingly it's been dropped without ever being used.
https://www.motorsport.com/btcc/news...ayout/4475521/

“We had a ‘spare’ round after Rockingham dropped out of the calendar after 2018, and we said we would move that event around the country. There are two visits to Thruxton in 2019, but we always had it in mind to look at other venues.

“Silverstone was keen for another round and it ticks the boxes because it has different layouts we can use. We will give the International circuit a try, and it will be great to be based out of the Wing pitlane.”
Old 20 Jul 2020, 15:57 (Ref:3989788)   #7
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
someone asked alan gow the silverstone question on his forum. his reply;

Silverstone themselves wanted their event on the National circuit, and not the International, for next year. It was entirely their decsion.
Just as it was also entirely their decision to have the one BTCC event and not take up the option of a second, for next year.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 16:24 (Ref:3989797)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well that solves it then. Shame really, would have been nice to see a different layout. Let's see if we still have racing of the highest order with this calendar, there is still plenty of good circuits on the calendar
Old 21 Jul 2020, 05:32 (Ref:3989861)   #9
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
BTCC is such a fan friendly event, I could never see that working stuck out in the wing anyway.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 06:26 (Ref:3989867)   #10
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
BTCC is such a fan friendly event, I could never see that working stuck out in the wing anyway.
I have seen a few race meetings held from the Wing, only problem I can see is access for the pit lane walkabout/autograph session if you are on the outside of the track. But then again since the bridge was removed from the old start/finish straight, that isn't exactly much better either.
Old 22 Jul 2020, 07:34 (Ref:3990114)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Are they building a bridge over the new start finish straight? Reason I ask is that in the newest F1 game, the Silverstone track has a bridge there now.
Old 22 Jul 2020, 08:57 (Ref:3990123)   #12
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Are they building a bridge over the new start finish straight? Reason I ask is that in the newest F1 game, the Silverstone track has a bridge there now.
https://www.racefans.net/2018/09/10/...t-silverstone/

'The Hilton Garden Inn Silverstone will offer views of the circuit and connect directly to the Silverstone Wing pit and paddock complex via a bridge over the straight.'
Old 22 Jul 2020, 09:47 (Ref:3990133)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hopefully it can be completed in time, even if I'm not fussed either way
Old 22 Jul 2020, 16:45 (Ref:3990239)   #14
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
https://www.racefans.net/2018/09/10/...t-silverstone/

'The Hilton Garden Inn Silverstone will offer views of the circuit and connect directly to the Silverstone Wing pit and paddock complex via a bridge over the straight.'
...and will no doubt cost an eye watering arm & a leg to get a room.

Hotel 'officially' opens March 2021 but not taking reservations at the moment.

Last edited by mark_l; 22 Jul 2020 at 16:53.
Old 24 Jul 2020, 11:20 (Ref:3990562)   #15
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to find out that it is down to Silverstone - I bet it costs them more to put on a race through temporary facilities hence sticking to the national.
Old 28 Jul 2020, 06:58 (Ref:3991170)   #16
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
For those who long for the return of the MG name, or want to see another estate car in the championship - any chance the latest release might fit the bill?

New MG 5 electric estate headed to UK
'The Ei5 is 4.54m long, just under 1.82m wide and 1.54m tall, making it around 10cm shorter than the Ford Focus Estate, although its 2.67m wheelbase is only 43mm shorter.'
Old 28 Jul 2020, 10:31 (Ref:3991214)   #17
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Or as is traditional around these parts - Kia to enter BTCC:

'The as-yet-unnamed EV was first detailed earlier this year as part of the Korean manufacturer's bold, £19 billion 'Plan S' strategy to transition to a producer of EVs and mobility solutions by 2025.'

Old 28 Jul 2020, 13:47 (Ref:3991243)   #18
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Or as is traditional around these parts - Kia to enter BTCC:

'The as-yet-unnamed EV was first detailed earlier this year as part of the Korean manufacturer's bold, £19 billion 'Plan S' strategy to transition to a producer of EVs and mobility solutions by 2025.'

Hmm can we start the Kia AND MG enter BTCC thread?

Actually, I wonder what are the plans for the UK market of MG, I could see them back in the BTCC provided there's a right model to stick to.
Old 28 Jul 2020, 13:59 (Ref:3991246)   #19
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Hmm can we start the Kia AND MG enter BTCC thread?

Actually, I wonder what are the plans for the UK market of MG, I could see them back in the BTCC provided there's a right model to stick to.
Well it won be Mitsibushi- pulling out of Europe.
Old 20 Aug 2020, 08:10 (Ref:3996606)   #20
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
TeamCarDriverNotes

Confirmed Entries   
Power MaxedVauxhall Astra VXRPlatoConfirmed in press release
Power MaxedVauxhall Astra VXR???Confirmed in press release
Team DynamicsHonda Civic FK8CammishConfirmed in press release

Likely Entries   
Team DynamicsHonda Civic FK8??? 
Excelr8Hyundai i30??? 
Excelr8Hyundai i30??? 
WSRBMW 330i??? 
WSRBMW 330i??? 
WSRBMW 330i??? 
SpeedworksToyota Corolla??? 
Laser ToolsInfiniti Q50Moffat 
Laser ToolsInfiniti Q50Sutton 
Ciceley MotorsportMB A-ClassMorgan 
Ciceley MotorsportMB A-Class??? 
AmD (MB Motorsport)?????? 
AmD (Trade Price?)?????? 
AmD (Trade Price?)?????? 
HARDBMW 125iBoardley 
HARD?????? 
HARD?????? 
HARD?????? 
BTC RacingHonda Civic FK8??? 
MotorbaseFord Focus??? 
MotorbaseFord Focus??? 
MotorbaseFord Focus??? 
Team ParkerBMW 125i??? 

Possible Entries   
SpeedworksToyota Corolla???Stated as planning for two cars at a given point

Entries with doubt   

Old 20 Aug 2020, 08:52 (Ref:3996613)   #21
VXDave
Racer

VXDave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
TeamCarDriverNotes

Confirmed Entries   
Power MaxedVauxhall Astra VXRPlatoConfirmed in press release
Power MaxedVauxhall Astra VXR???Confirmed in press release
Team DynamicsHonda Civic FK8CammishConfirmed in press release

Likely Entries   
Team DynamicsHonda Civic FK8??? 
Excelr8Hyundai i30??? 
Excelr8Hyundai i30??? 
WSRBMW 330i??? 
WSRBMW 330i??? 
WSRBMW 330i??? 
SpeedworksToyota Corolla??? 
Laser ToolsInfiniti Q50Moffat 
Laser ToolsInfiniti Q50Sutton 
Ciceley MotorsportMB A-ClassMorgan 
Ciceley MotorsportMB A-Class??? 
AmD (Trade Price?)?????? 
AmD (Trade Price?)?????? 
HARDBMW 125iBoardley 
HARD?????? 
HARD?????? 
HARD?????? 
MotorbaseFord Focus??? 
MotorbaseFord Focus??? 
MotorbaseFord Focus??? 
Team ParkerBMW 125i??? 

Possible Entries   
SpeedworksToyota Corolla???Stated as planning for two cars at a given point

Entries with doubt   

Good to see the table forming up, cheers.

RE PMR, have they confirmed an Astra VXR for next year? Such a thing doesn't currently exist but wondered if you've seen some confirmation they will run a new model next year?

I was actually wondering if they will run a Vauxhall at all - they seem to get almost no manufacturer support and at the 2020 Media Day, they had stripped all Vauxhall branding from 2019...

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 20 Aug 2020, 09:34 (Ref:3996621)   #22
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by VXDave View Post
Good to see the table forming up, cheers.

RE PMR, have they confirmed an Astra VXR for next year? Such a thing doesn't currently exist but wondered if you've seen some confirmation they will run a new model next year?

I was actually wondering if they will run a Vauxhall at all - they seem to get almost no manufacturer support and at the 2020 Media Day, they had stripped all Vauxhall branding from 2019...

Cheers,

Dave.
Oops - that was a typo that slipped on from a previous document (VXR). I'll put a question mark against the VXR in the next update.

The team have said it will still be running an Astra. Adam Weaver - 7 Jul 20: 'It means that we’ve got even more time to develop the Astras and will come out of the blocks fighting next March!'

Is there a chance it will be a VXR?
Vauxhall still recognise the VXR brand on their website, listing past models and celebrating their history. A spokesperson is quoted as saying: 'VXR will survive; [without] six or eight cylinders and a turbocharger or two. It’ll need more efficient power sources. We haven’t lost this sporting brand, and it will remain at the forefront of performance motoring in the mainstream. [VXR] will always be a hardcore offering, with a jump in performance as well as very focussed dynamics.'
Old 20 Aug 2020, 09:57 (Ref:3996625)   #23
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
The VXR brand is on the cards for a return, market conditions being agreeable. And it may be eVXR. Or just plain VXR but with a green R in place of the red one.

The first car will be a Corsa, it will be hybrid and it will share drive train, chassis and pretty much most things with it's Peugeot 208 brother.

An Astra VXR would not be until after the next gen Astra has been around for a year or two and depend on market conditions. Ford, as I understand, do not believe their is a market that makes commercial sense for an RS version of the current Focus - likely PSA will be using similar methods to project product viability. I'm guessing not, unless the world economy is magically cured.

As for BTCC - expect the existing PMR cars back for next year.
Old 20 Aug 2020, 10:28 (Ref:3996627)   #24
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
An Astra VXR would not be until after the next gen Astra has been around for a year or two and depend on market conditions.
I'm not saying it is 100% accurate, but some circles are reporting that a VXR-badged Astra will be appearing as soon as 2021:

Carbuyer: 'a plug-in hybrid version of the new Astra will be offered. [...] The Hybrid4 will be badged as a VXR model, Vauxhall’s performance moniker, and it’ll have the acceleration and handling to suit the VXR badge. '

msn: 'But the Astra Hybrid4 VXR, [...] is expected to go on sale shortly after the new Astra’s launch in 2021.'

I guess the chance of 2021 seeing a VXR in the BTCC depends on how much PSA (and the UK dealer network) want to get the VXR brand back in the forefront of the general public? It would mean moving to the new model, which PMR have not indicated as a possibility yet so I expect it is unlikely.

Some might argue that running an Astra VXR in the BTCC does not fit with the showroom model being a 1.6L (rumoured). But that hasn't stopped Motorbase sticking ST on their Focus, when the showroom model is a 2.3L.
Old 20 Aug 2020, 12:02 (Ref:3996639)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

It would be good to see VXR back and for me it would be reward to PMR to get that backing. In my view Vauxhall should be proud of how PMR have given success back to the brand with more than a few wins the past couple of seasons