Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jan 2021, 16:18 (Ref:4029035)   #226
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Vaccinations will not be sorted for you youngster racing drivers until late spring/early summer then three weeks before they kick in and twelve weeks for second blast.
Could be mid Summer before things crack on assuming they get on top of new variants.
It could be better than last year but not that much better.
Probably question marks of most of major meetings up to and including Silverstone Festival.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 18:09 (Ref:4029073)   #227
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

New COVID restrictions in France - article doing the rounds

“France has just announced that arrivals from non-EU countries must have had a negative test 72 hours or less. There may be exemptions for truck drivers but all others will still have to quarantine for seven days, even with a negative test. Some exemptions but this will make life difficult for F1 people from GB even passing through France. It will also impact Alfa Romeo as Switzerland is not in EU. We'll see if the sport can get exemptions.”
The arrogance is breathtaking. What makes F1 people a special case? 5 F1 drivers have had Covid which as a % of a group is massive . Covid doesn’t discriminate . Any Country welcoming in these people into their Country would be playing with Political fire
Old 14 Jan 2021, 18:35 (Ref:4029080)   #228
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post

New COVID restrictions in France - article doing the rounds

“France has just announced that arrivals from non-EU countries must have had a negative test 72 hours or less. There may be exemptions for truck drivers but all others will still have to quarantine for seven days, even with a negative test. Some exemptions but this will make life difficult for F1 people from GB even passing through France. It will also impact Alfa Romeo as Switzerland is not in EU. We'll see if the sport can get exemptions.”
The arrogance is breathtaking. What makes F1 people a special case? 5 F1 drivers have had Covid which as a % of a group is massive . Covid doesn’t discriminate . Any Country welcoming in these people into their Country would be playing with Political fire
I reckon F1 will pay for vaccines for anyone coming into the F1 paddock and get round the difficult PR and 'messaging' by donating the same amount of vaccines or more to one of the less developed countries.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 18:49 (Ref:4029086)   #229
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i would imagine by the time of the first race if not already, there will be many F1 and team personnel who have already received the vaccine...they just wont advertise that they have.

i cant imagine that the Stroll's or Latifi are waiting for their Canadian government spot in line.

but as a fellow Canadian, i dont have a problem with that. their needs are different then mine and i enjoy the entertainment they provide. i suspect most here accept that athletes and sports provide a very necessary and important function...although i cant imagine what will happen when LH gets vaccinated.

if im being honest though, F1 might not be the global sport to start with...i think there should first be a push to vaccinate the Olympic athletes in order for the games to go ahead and promote a message of global solidarity. declining American hegemony i think almost necessitates this.

games not war!
Old 14 Jan 2021, 19:36 (Ref:4029101)   #230
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i would imagine by the time of the first race if not already, there will be many F1 and team personnel who have already received the vaccine...they just wont advertise that they have.
That’s all very well but what evidence is there that they still can’t be a spreader giving it to other people? (None...)
Old 14 Jan 2021, 19:48 (Ref:4029105)   #231
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
That’s all very well but what evidence is there that they still can’t be a spreader giving it to other people? (None...)
none of course which is why lots of testing, contact tracing wearing masks, washing hands, social distancing within the workplace is still all massively important.

i appreciate that we are all in different places when dealing with and talking about the virus so please forgive me if i am being dismissive.

but we are talking about a sport which did just complete a very successful season and based on that success perhaps they have a better handle on what is involved then we do. for me that extends to several of the sports leagues which have competed, largely successfully, during covid.

to each their own always, but i do think it is a tad disingenuous to discuss the 2021 season as if 2020 didnt happen.

personally, i support F1's attempts to have a season this year.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 20:40 (Ref:4029111)   #232
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I reckon F1 will pay for vaccines for anyone coming into the F1 paddock and get round the difficult PR and 'messaging' by donating the same amount of vaccines or more to one of the less developed countries.
I’m interested how you think that might help them avoid travel restrictions before whole populations are immunised?
Old 14 Jan 2021, 21:44 (Ref:4029121)   #233
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I’m interested how you think that might help them avoid travel restrictions before whole populations are immunised?
That’s easy. They are VERY important people and generally above “the public” so have nothing to do with them.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 23:44 (Ref:4029133)   #234
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Brazil has a new Covid strain. Can’t help thinking that 2021 will end up Europe based with Don’t care Russia and Money talks Middle East supporting again ...
Agree - I've had that feeling for some time. Even though here in Oz the GP has been re-scheduled for November, I still reckon it's unlikely. Racing in or near Europe is much more contained - teams use their own trucks, motorhomes etc. Middle East only a short flyaway and nature of countries / circuits visited help with containment.

As soon as it is a flyaway, there's a lot more moving parts and risk points for infection. Yes, vaccines are starting to roll out but many estimates seem to suggest end of 2021 at best for herd immunity in a number of countries so it feels to me that 2022 is going to be the earliest opportunity for a return to some kind of "normal".
Old 15 Jan 2021, 01:17 (Ref:4029138)   #235
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Leclerc has COVID and it isolating at home.

https://twitter.com/charles_leclerc/...235004931?s=21
Old 15 Jan 2021, 06:45 (Ref:4029157)   #236
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Leclerc has COVID and it isolating at home.

https://twitter.com/charles_leclerc/...235004931?s=21
A suggestion this might be his secomd case?
Old 15 Jan 2021, 08:48 (Ref:4029165)   #237
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
A suggestion this might be his secomd case?
He got in trouble at the start of the year for mixing with people outside his bubble (I'm guessing that this is where the rumour came from), but this is the first time he has actually got it.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 11:41 (Ref:4029200)   #238
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That’s the 5th F1 driver in the past 12 months to test positive. Hope Charles gets well soon
Old 15 Jan 2021, 12:26 (Ref:4029210)   #239
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
That’s the 5th F1 driver in the past 12 months to test positive. Hope Charles gets well soon
As awful as it sounds, now is a good time to get it if youre an F1 driver.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 18:36 (Ref:4029316)   #240
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post

I note that he has recently been in Dubai - which appears to be a somewhat common thread for infections......... I'd have thought these guys would have more sense than to zoom off to known hotspots.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 19:07 (Ref:4029321)   #241
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I note that he has recently been in Dubai - which appears to be a somewhat common thread for infections......... I'd have thought these guys would have more sense than to zoom off to known hotspots.
And there's a 24 hour GT race on at the mo, which seems a bit odd considering.

The Dubai circuit is one I strongly felt could be another back up venue for the end of the season in the ME region, but Dubai seems a bit of a covid minefield at present.
Old 16 Jan 2021, 09:25 (Ref:4029393)   #242
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
As predicted - uproar about charter flights of overseas tennis players arriving whilst Australian nationals languish overseas unable to return home....
Old 16 Jan 2021, 13:05 (Ref:4029422)   #243
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's weird because it's the government stuffing up the civilian repatriation flights and arrangements on arrival causing the issue, not the separate arrangements made for professional sports people.

it's interesting to see how high the positive case numbers are amongst the players compared to the f1 paddocks moving around last year. that's not going to do anyone in any sport any good.
Old 16 Jan 2021, 17:23 (Ref:4029471)   #244
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The best news of 2021 so far-Alex Zanardi was speaking to his family in recent days.Much more significant than rumours or paint jobs.
Old 16 Jan 2021, 20:21 (Ref:4029499)   #245
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
As predicted - uproar about charter flights of overseas tennis players arriving whilst Australian nationals languish overseas unable to return home....
Massive amounts of uproar here in Melbourne - amongst thousands and thousands of comments and posts on the subject, virtually no support for the tennis - but many really supportive of the approach taken by the Grand Prix to "postpone" until November.

It's not just Australian stuck overseas either. There are thousands of people who live in Victoria but who holidayed in other States who have not been permitted to come back to their home State at all - not even the opportunity to quarantine for 14 days. Looks like that restriction is starting to ease a bit now but the comparison of that and flying in 1200+ tennisors has wound many up to fever pitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it's weird because it's the government stuffing up the civilian repatriation flights and arrangements on arrival causing the issue, not the separate arrangements made for professional sports people.

it's interesting to see how high the positive case numbers are amongst the players compared to the f1 paddocks moving around last year. that's not going to do anyone in any sport any good.
So far, there have been positive tests on two planeloads, meaning that all those on each plane have had to go into "hard" quarantine - not able to leave their rooms at all for 14 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
The best news of 2021 so far-Alex Zanardi was speaking to his family in recent days.Much more significant than rumours or paint jobs.
Great news! We almost need to replace the word "positive" (when it comes to attitude) with "Zanardi" - he really has been and still is the standard bearer for positive attitude.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 15:32 (Ref:4029637)   #246
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
As awful as it sounds, now is a good time to get it if youre an F1 driver.
Almost sounds like a thought a certain f1 team boss had last year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

What, you mean governments are screwing up/over citizens? Why not give them more and more control over our every movement? What can go wrong?.....

On another topic, I've got an unrealistic, hopefully fun hypothetical for everyone: say hamilton and ineos went to red bull and said we want to provide sponsorship to the red bull team, and hamilton wants a 2 year contract with option for a third year. But, he doesn't want verstappen as a teammate, he wants verstappens seat next to perez. What do you think red bull does? What do you do? Take the short term marketability, sponsorship and this era's goat? Or stay on the long term plan with verstappen?

Then, does mercedes pay bottas to go away to get verstappen? Would they risk a pairing of russell/verstappen being combustible? Do they honor bottas' one year deal and keep russell at William's one more year for verstappen? Would they lock in verstappen and have him sot out a year to honor bottas deal and bring in russell? What other options would verstappen have for a drive for this year without risking missing the boat on a mercedes drive?

All just for fun, as obviously I'm making up a scenario, but it's the offseason.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 16:40 (Ref:4029658)   #247
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Given that the top man at Ineos owns 30% of the Mercedes team,some of that seems unlikely.Could be a useful investment for him because the America's Cup team he sponsors are said to have had some new foils made in Brackley to overcome their previous performance deficiency and they have done extremely well with them in recent days.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 16:46 (Ref:4029660)   #248
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I think that all professional sport should be shut down until the pandemic is over. The new version of the virus is obviously much more contagious and we have seen people in all sorts of sports, particularly football getting.
I can't see how elite sportsmen are any more important than anyone else. I am doing my bit stuck at home, I did not get to my little place abroad last year and I didn't do any racing, but I am still alive fortunately. Sadly I knew people who are not. The need to have football, motor racing, tennis or Olympics is all about greed.
Perhaps it is also time for the promotors to look at where they have events, I would think very highly of Lewis if he said I don't want to race in the six (?) countries that have dreadful human rights records, the ones we go to only because they pay the promotors millions.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 17:01 (Ref:4029661)   #249
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTE=RWill2073;4029637]Almost sounds like a thought a certain f1 team boss had last year...

What, you mean governments are screwing up/over citizens? Why not give them more and more control over our every movement? What can go wrong?.....

On another topic, I've got an unrealistic, hopefully fun hypothetical for everyone: say hamilton and ineos went to red bull and said we want to provide sponsorship to the red bull team, and hamilton wants a 2 year contract with option for a third year. But, he doesn't want verstappen as a teammate, he wants verstappens seat next to perez. What do you think red bull does? What do you do? Take the short term marketability, sponsorship and this era's goat? Or stay on the long term plan with verstappen?

Then, does mercedes pay bottas to go away to get verstappen? Would they risk a pairing of russell/verstappen being combustible? Do they honor bottas' one year deal and keep russell at William's one more year for verstappen? Would they lock in verstappen and have him sot out a year to honor bottas deal and bring in russell? What other options would verstappen have for a drive for this year without risking missing the boat on a mercedes drive?

All just for fun, as obviously I'm making up a scenario, but it's the offseason.[
/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Given that the top man at Ineos owns 30% of the Mercedes team,some of that seems unlikely.Could be a useful investment for him because the America's Cup team he sponsors are said to have had some new foils made in Brackley to overcome their previous performance deficiency and they have done extremely well with them in recent days.
Sigh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
I think that all professional sport should be shut down until the pandemic is over. The new version of the virus is obviously much more contagious and we have seen people in all sorts of sports, particularly football getting.
I can't see how elite sportsmen are any more important than anyone else. I am doing my bit stuck at home, I did not get to my little place abroad last year and I didn't do any racing, but I am still alive fortunately. Sadly I knew people who are not. The need to have football, motor racing, tennis or Olympics is all about greed.
Perhaps it is also time for the promotors to look at where they have events, I would think very highly of Lewis if he said I don't want to race in the six (?) countries that have dreadful human rights records, the ones we go to only because they pay the promotors millions.
Might as well shut down all sports for the flu then, as well.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 18:16 (Ref:4029669)   #250
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Might as well shut down all sports for the flu then, as well.
Back to this I see.

Richard