Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Jan 2021, 11:27 (Ref:4029408)   #1626
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
It's a long term investment plan. Hoover up any unused cars for peanuts; stick them in a warehouse; wait 20+ years for them to become highly desirable classics; sell them off for huge sums to eager collectors. Ker-ching!
They won't become highly desirable classics though. Just like the super 2000s won't.
Old 16 Jan 2021, 13:25 (Ref:4029425)   #1627
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjr0999 View Post
With all the comments surrounding wasted driver seats and AG wanting to reduce grid sizes, has anyone discussed the possibility in the future of a points based entry system into the championship from feeder series?

I would much rather see a grid of 20 top drivers on merit than a grid of 29 where the additional 9 may as well be anyone in this forum.

It seems by a number of comments that this approach would be welcomed?
That only works if the drivers with enough points to qualify also have the budget. If the budget wasn't needed then the "problem" would sort itself presumably.

At the end of the day if 9 of the grid aren't of the same quality then does it really matter as long as they are paying towards the other 20?
Old 16 Jan 2021, 14:03 (Ref:4029433)   #1628
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don’t think the paying drivers aren’t that much of a problem either, the cream still rises to the top and there’s still plenty of top drivers who are up there on merit. And reducing grid size isn’t necessarily going to improve things. Look at 2005. The grid size peaked at no more than 17. Did we have 17 top quality drivers? Of course not

And before people go back to the 90s Super Touring era, yes we did have the top quality drivers in the manufacturer teams, but there were still the odd independent who paid their own way for the privilege of running in the series
Old 16 Jan 2021, 14:36 (Ref:4029440)   #1629
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And before people go back to the 90s Super Touring era, yes we did have the top quality drivers in the manufacturer teams, but there were still the odd independent who paid their own way for the privilege of running in the series
There were more than a few not quite top quality drivers in factory cars back then too!!
Old 16 Jan 2021, 15:20 (Ref:4029453)   #1630
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don’t think the paying drivers aren’t that much of a problem either, the cream still rises to the top and there’s still plenty of top drivers who are up there on merit. And reducing grid size isn’t necessarily going to improve things. Look at 2005. The grid size peaked at no more than 17. Did we have 17 top quality drivers? Of course not

Supply vs demand though. 2005 only had 17 drivers because demand was low. Ideally, we would be in a position where the team bosses have 4 or 5 people competing (with budget) for each seat. Then the quality goes through the roof.
Old 16 Jan 2021, 16:13 (Ref:4029460)   #1631
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Even in the supposed pinnacle of motor sport, or F1 as it's known, we have drivers on the grid because they have big fat budgets. They also have the necessary licence, so they have some racing acumen. That the "problem" exists at the top means it will naturally also exist "lower" down.

Dreaming of a grid solely made up of drivers of the quality of Plato, Neal, Sutton, Cleland, Tarquini, Menu, Rouse etc etc. is dreaming. Nowt wrong with dreaming as long as you can differentiate between dreams and reality!
Old 16 Jan 2021, 17:01 (Ref:4029468)   #1632
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Even in the supposed pinnacle of motor sport, or F1 as it's known, we have drivers on the grid because they have big fat budgets. They also have the necessary licence, so they have some racing acumen. That the "problem" exists at the top means it will naturally also exist "lower" down.

Dreaming of a grid solely made up of drivers of the quality of Plato, Neal, Sutton, Cleland, Tarquini, Menu, Rouse etc etc. is dreaming. Nowt wrong with dreaming as long as you can differentiate between dreams and reality!
F1 Superlicense does require half decent results in lower formulae though.

It would be interesting to see how many of the 2020 BTCC drivers would qualify for a BTCC super license based on results in series like Clio Cup, Minis, Porsches, British GT, VW Cup, etc.
Old 16 Jan 2021, 17:22 (Ref:4029470)   #1633
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Supply vs demand though. 2005 only had 17 drivers because demand was low. Ideally, we would be in a position where the team bosses have 4 or 5 people competing (with budget) for each seat. Then the quality goes through the roof.
the 2005 entry list contained 4 more entries as "confirmed" yet they didn't show up , so would have been 21 entries

2 Yvan Muller FRA M VX Racing Vauxhall Astra Sport Hatch Confirmed
6 Colin Turkington GBR M VX Racing Vauxhall Astra Sport Hatch Confirmed
88 Gavin Smith IRE M VX Racing Vauxhall Astra Sport Hatch Confirmed
11 Jason Plato GBR M Seat Sport UK Seat Toledo E Confirmed
12 James Pickford GBR M Seat Sport UK Seat Toledo E Confirmed
57 Luke Hines GBR M Seat Sport UK Seat Toledo E Confirmed
5 Matt Neal GBR I Team Dynamics Honda Integra Confirmed
8 Dan Eaves GBR I Team Dynamics Honda Integra Confirmed
10 James Kaye GBR I Synchro Motorsport Honda Civic Type-R Confirmed
21 Rob Collard GBR I West Surrey Racing MG ZS Confirmed
22 TBA I West Surrey Racing MG ZS Confirmed
77 Richard Williams GBR I HPI Racing with Friends Reunited Lexus IS200 E Confirmed
78 Ian Curley GBR I HPI Racing with Friends Reunited Lexus IS200 E Confirmed
23 Mark Proctor GBR I Fast-Tec Motorsport Vauxhall Astra Coupé Confirmed
33 TBA I Team Firstserve Group Honda Civic Type-R E Confirmed
9 Tom Chilton GBR I Arena Motorsports Honda Civic Type-R Confirmed
99 TBA I Arena Motorsports Honda Civic Type-R Confirmed
15 TBA I GA Motorsport Alfa Romeo 156 E Confirmed

82 Fiona Leggate*1 GBR I Tech-Speed Motorsport Vauxhall Astra Coupe E Likely
25 Gareth Howell*3 GBR I Team Halfords Honda Integra Confirmed
44 Andy Neate*4 GBR I Team Nuts with Daniels Motorsport Vauxhall Astra Coupe Confirmed

http://www.btccpages.com/2005/driv.php
Old 16 Jan 2021, 20:18 (Ref:4029497)   #1634
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
There were more than a few not quite top quality drivers in factory cars back then too!!
Such as who?
Old 16 Jan 2021, 20:25 (Ref:4029501)   #1635
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Such as who?
Just look at the entry lists from those seasons, and quite a few names stand out who never troubled the podium...
Old 16 Jan 2021, 21:18 (Ref:4029513)   #1636
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Just look at the entry lists from those seasons, and quite a few names stand out who never troubled the podium...
“In those days” the car was as important as the pilot. However to say there were average drivers in works cars in plain wrong aside from the odd “guest drive”. Radisitch , Mansell , Robertson ( Indy lite Champion) never had a prayer in the Reynard Mondeo but they were still top Draw. Can’t think of a single Factory pay driver
Old 16 Jan 2021, 21:40 (Ref:4029517)   #1637
andyjr0999
Rookie

andyjr0999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
I totally agree, supply against demand. Reducing the grid size could potentially free up sponsors for the better drivers. If sponsors want to get on the grid, then they will.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 08:24 (Ref:4029573)   #1638
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Such as who?
Steve Robertson never really got out of the gravel or panel beaters for one.

As mentioned, just scan the entry/results list for the 90s. A fair few didn't make much of an impact.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 08:45 (Ref:4029574)   #1639
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
Steve Robertson never really got out of the gravel or panel beaters for one.

As mentioned, just scan the entry/results list for the 90s. A fair few didn't make much of an impact.
Steve Robertson was an Indy lights Champion and F3 front runner - I cannot see one full time factory driver in ST that was average
Old 17 Jan 2021, 08:55 (Ref:4029575)   #1640
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Steve Robertson was an Indy lights Champion and F3 front runner - I cannot see one full time factory driver in ST that was average
Given the car he had Simoni wasn't great, only won one race in a dominant car, didn't see out his 2nd season.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 10:06 (Ref:4029583)   #1641
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Two points. 1: Why are people getting outraged and personally offended by the drivers on the current grid? It's not as if they're spending YOUR money is it?

2. Why on earth are we talking about Super Blooming Touring? It's been 21 years! I've been here for 17 years now and still people are yearning for a short-lived era which will never return. Enjoy what we have now, because we'll be watching vacuum cleaners racing in 10 years!
Old 17 Jan 2021, 10:13 (Ref:4029585)   #1642
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjr0999 View Post
I totally agree, supply against demand. Reducing the grid size could potentially free up sponsors for the better drivers. If sponsors want to get on the grid, then they will.
Not sure what you mean by "free up sponsors". Sounds like you're saying some sponsors are backing 2nd tier drivers but if those drivers weren't there they would back 1st tier ones? If they wanted to back better drivers they could do that now, nothing stopping them.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 10:51 (Ref:4029588)   #1643
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Two points. 1: Why are people getting outraged and personally offended by the drivers on the current grid? It's not as if they're spending YOUR money is it?
Well said! I bet plenty of us on here, if they had the means and the money, would love to compete in the series. Fair play to those paying their way to fulfil their dream
Old 17 Jan 2021, 11:05 (Ref:4029589)   #1644
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
Not sure what you mean by "free up sponsors". Sounds like you're saying some sponsors are backing 2nd tier drivers but if those drivers weren't there they would back 1st tier ones? If they wanted to back better drivers they could do that now, nothing stopping them.
Exactly!
Old 17 Jan 2021, 12:13 (Ref:4029601)   #1645
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post

2. Why on earth are we talking about Super Blooming Touring? It's been 21 years! I've been here for 17 years now and still people are yearning for a short-lived era which will never return. Enjoy what we have now, because we'll be watching vacuum cleaners racing in 10 years!
Nah, the environmentalists will have succeeded in banning cars and be well on the way to getting vacuum cleaners banned by then. It'll be scrubbing brushes and pails of water. First to scrub a nice 10 yard shine down Hanger Straight wins. Naturally helmets will have been replaced with hair curlers, fire suits with pinafores and there'll be a mandated fag break.

For those back in the past go and read this on Autosport. Good article on the post super touring era, covers my favourite ever BTCC car and has lots of input from Matt Neal:

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...ll-astra-coupe
Old 17 Jan 2021, 12:14 (Ref:4029602)   #1646
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Well said! I bet plenty of us on here, if they had the means and the money, would love to compete in the series. Fair play to those paying their way to fulfil their dream
Too bloody right! Getting round the first lap ahead of the Doctors car would be my target!

I'd get sponsorship off a firm of ambulance chasing solicitors...
Old 17 Jan 2021, 13:09 (Ref:4029608)   #1647
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Personally, I think we should acknowledge and appreciate anyone who can either earn sufficient money in their business career to be able to spend £300k per year on their racing or generate it through pure 3rd party commercial sponsorship.

As someone who has to do this for a living, I can't tell you how hard achieving either of the above actually is, so perhaps some of the comments should bear that in mind when judging who should and shouldn't be on the grid.

Motorsport has never particularly had a grid of anything comprised of THE best of the best, there has always been an element of money over star quality in every series.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 13:23 (Ref:4029615)   #1648
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Given the car he had Simoni wasn't great, only won one race in a dominant car, didn't see out his 2nd season.
Strange one Simoni, he had plenty of speed but not the race craft. I'm pretty sure though that 1994 was the first time he'd ever sat in a Touring Car and was up against a teammate that had a full season already in an Alfa in Italy and had done well.

He was always going to be 2nd best to Tarquini but also became embroiled in some silly incidents. Seemed to disappear a bit after he left Alfa midway through 1995.

Shows how good Tarquini was as he out scored both Simoni and Warwick (who did a full season) having only done about a 3rd of the races.

James Kaye was the one that disappointed me. I thought he did a decent job in the 2nd hand Toyota's and then his 94 Total cup win seemed to set him great for his big chance in the new Honda. It just never clicked for him though in the works drive.

It would have also been interesting to see a works team take a chance on Lee Brookes, he was impressive as a privateer but of course ended up in 98 and 99 rattling around in a used Accord that was held together by Marshmallows, shame.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 13:32 (Ref:4029616)   #1649
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Article in Autosport about Team Parker Racing leaving the BTCC. Interesting they were as far as adding up the sums on building and running Alfa Romeos.

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...l-be-hort-term
Old 17 Jan 2021, 14:54 (Ref:4029633)   #1650
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
The Giulia, a car which Rob Austin and Simon Belcher dismissed as having too long a wheelbase to be a good choice in BTCC. I agree with Rob and Simon on that one, it's bigger than the CC and the 3 Series.