Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Jun 2003, 04:54 (Ref:621387)   #1
BOOSTER
Rookie

BOOSTER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rich dads and there sons getting a drive in v.8 s

so now with john kelly buying k mart racing, it makes me wonder how rick and todd got there drive s. i know they can steer a car but.....
Old 5 Jun 2003, 04:56 (Ref:621388)   #2
BOOSTER
Rookie

so what i am getting at did they just pay there way into it or what...
Old 5 Jun 2003, 04:57 (Ref:621389)   #3
smithers
Racer

Australia
smithers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, thats why Skaife bought HRT as well, so Mitchell can get a drive...
Old 5 Jun 2003, 05:02 (Ref:621391)   #4
Gunslinger
Racer

Gunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems like a great way to spend money to me. What's the problem?
Old 5 Jun 2003, 05:09 (Ref:621395)   #5
pale rider
Rookie

pale rider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They join Rod Forbes, Paul Romano, Simon Wills and a host of spoilt brat Formula Ford drivers who have made it with help of their dads bank a/c. It's a shame that some people with talent miss out because Dad can't pay their bills.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 05:14 (Ref:621397)   #6
BOOSTER
Rookie

i ll just wait and see what other peoples reaction to this is. i am sure there will be a few different ones. its just that the ones that bust there ass to be a profesional race driver and don t get a good drive because some kids dad has a heap of money. so what hope do the ones with out money have of making it pro, tell me that. it is a sport after all. i bet leytton hewit didi nt pay his way, just plain hard work....
Old 5 Jun 2003, 05:27 (Ref:621406)   #7
BOOSTER
Rookie

yep you are so right pale rider. but don t get me wrong they all need some money to do it full stop e.g formula ford. the best thing about formula ford is that you can t out spend to get an advantge. if you do the formula ford national series its the travel costs that really hurt. if you do it all the wrong way with the wrong people then thats what cost you heaps. and i think the perception of what some people seem to think some leading formula ford teams spend is way out of contrast. believe me i know been there done that. But when it comes to pulling a few million out of your pocket or more, then that should be the manufactures that pay young guys to come along on there talent. but instead the manufactures make money from selling cars to us and make money out of entertaining us with racing. and still you have to pay to get a good seat what a ****ING JOKE....
Old 5 Jun 2003, 07:06 (Ref:621455)   #8
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcos Ambrose has made it through sheer talent so it can be done
Old 5 Jun 2003, 08:44 (Ref:621516)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by smithers
yeah, thats why Skaife bought HRT as well, so Mitchell can get a drive...

Very Good Smithers, here I was thinking Skaife bought it to stroke his ego, but instead I discover its only there to give his boy a go.... Im disappointed it didnt occur to me

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Jun 2003, 09:04 (Ref:621530)   #10
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apart from Ambrose, you've got Ingall, Bright and Ritter who have done things on ability alone and opened doors with hard work. Thre are many more surely?

Then there is Steven Richards who, despite his very famous father, has bucketloads of ability and talent and a hard-working attitude and no ego to speak of who has knckled down and worked hard. He now is one the established top-shelf drivers in the country. Tander is surely another who has worked hard and honed his talents to be a Bathurst winner and a first-rate driver.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 5 Jun 2003, 12:39 (Ref:621704)   #11
pale rider
Rookie

pale rider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Umm. Marcos Ambrose's dad owns Van Dieman, the FFord guru factory.
Luckily Marcos has shown enough ability not to be included in my former comments. I would rate Ash Lowe (Qld) as the most underrated driver not to have a decent drive this year. After all, his Dad is not a multi millionaire AFAIK...
Old 5 Jun 2003, 12:45 (Ref:621712)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
geez, rich people paying the way for either themselves or for their kids has been around since motorsport began, it's nothing new and will be around as long as motorsport is. Anyone here (probably) would not pass up an opportunity if their parents were willing to, why should someone else be criticised for it?

Money doesn't help how much talent there is behind the wheel.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 13:13 (Ref:621763)   #13
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who really gives a sh!t ?? My old man would give me his last dollar for food, but won't give me a cent towards the race car... He says (and he's right) it's just a great way to tear up money...

Still, if i were lucky and he was a multi-millionaire i wouldn't be stupid enough to refuse his money if he offered it now would i ??

Good luck to them i think... It's a shame as was mentioned that some guys with plenty of talent don't get the opportunities that "rich kids" do, but that's the way it goes...

Cheers,
Paul...
Old 5 Jun 2003, 13:36 (Ref:621790)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So spend all your money on the race car, and get your dad to buy you food.... simple really

Mr Forbes is lucky enough to have had 2 sons, one an Olympic silver medallist in yachting, and Roddler, spin king.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Jun 2003, 15:31 (Ref:621945)   #15
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There are many more surely?
Don't forget Murph,he did it all the hard way,thats why he's a legend over here.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 03:21 (Ref:622460)   #16
Food Processor
Rookie

Food Processor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pale, Ambrose's father Ross was a partner in Van Diemen (with Ralph Firman, father of Jordan's F1 driver) at the very beginning. He split with Ralph after a year or two to go out on his own and eventually established a very successful business back home in Tasmania, in motels, I believe.

VD is now a part of Don Panoz's enterprises and Ambrose Sr has nothing to do with it.

Other V8 Supercar drivers who have made it without major money are Jason Bright, John Bowe, Craig Lowndes, Jason Bargwanna, Cam McConville, Mark Larkham, Dean Canto and David Besnard. Then there are drivers like Paul Dumbrell, who has talent and a father with the ability to provide some backing.

The moral of the story is that you cannot choose your parents and talent will out. Remember that Ayrton Senna's dad was a multi-millionaire and Michael Schumacher's father Rolf was a bricklayer.

Last edited by Food Processor; 6 Jun 2003 at 03:23.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 10:31 (Ref:622714)   #17
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought Rolf was a funeral director!

The thing is at the beginning, you need a parent with some disposaable income. So that when the other kids parents are paying $100 per year to have their little ones play soccer, your Dad has a few grand for a Go Cart and 500 bucks for the season.

This rules a lot of people out.

Then as you go higher the stakes get higher as well. So that when you are 17, trying to survive as an apprentice on your own, you can't afford a F Ford, a pushbike to get to work, food and shelter. You need some outside help.

Of those that get the help. Plenty of them are talented. Or have had the opportunity to develop their talent.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 02:06 (Ref:624205)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fully agree there Moff (am I allowed to do that?). Looking at the list of drivers who don't necessarily have rich parents, but they do in most cases have very supporting who would tip a lot into their kids racing. Look at Jason Bright- his parents mortgaged everything for his to get a drive in the US, and when Jason was set back up in .au, he was able to pay them back.

I like how Bowie has made the list- he's old enough to be many of the kiddies father, and he sort of came through in a different era.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 10:14 (Ref:624370)   #19
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
So spend all your money on the race car, and get your dad to buy you food.... simple really
Funnily enough it's been a bit like that on the odd occasion GTR...
Racing finishes Sunday afternoon, begging for cash from girlfriend / old man starts Monday and ends on Thursday... (payday Friday !!)

Cheers,
Paul...
Old 9 Jun 2003, 06:53 (Ref:625305)   #20
Gunslinger
Racer

Gunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see what you mean Booster, especially if your name is FORBES. That guy was pretty funny on Sunday.