Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Jun 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3096115)   #1
Wendy Wool
Rookie

Wendy Wool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC Tim Harvey

Has Tim finished with commentating on ITV4?
Without doubt he is one of the best in the business, hopefully he will be back.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 20:54 (Ref:3096120)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He's racing in the British GT Championship in a Porsche 997 GT3. Some of the dates clash with the BTCC.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 20:55 (Ref:3096121)   #3
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was racing in the British GT races instead of commentating. he will also miss the other BTCC meeting that clashes with the BGT meeting

Also missing Croft according to another thread

Last edited by mattt; 21 Jun 2012 at 20:56. Reason: added more information
Old 21 Jun 2012, 21:14 (Ref:3096132)   #4
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Wool View Post
Has Tim finished with commentating on ITV4?
Without doubt he is one of the best in the business, hopefully he will be back.
The ITV4 coverage at the last meeting really missed having Tim' on the commentary team, the program was no where near as good as usual without his experience/enthusiasm.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3096159)   #5
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd argue with that. I thought it was better. He proves the point that just because you took part in and were reasonably good at a sport, you don't necessarily make a good pundit. Mark Blundell anyone?
Old 21 Jun 2012, 23:43 (Ref:3096178)   #6
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Harvey is fantastic, and i really missed him last time out. You're right Craner, some people just don't make the transition from racing to pundit very well (Blundell, as you said) but Tim is always enthusiastic and seems to describe what the drivers do very well. Like the Jackson-Collard incident at Oulton, Moody and Hill just described what happened, but it took until Steve Ryder and Paul O'Neill were talking before anyone analysed what happened and pointed out who was to blame. If Harvey was there he'd have analysed that as soon as it happened and I really missed that throughout the weekend.

Not that there's anything wrong with Simon Hill, but you need someone pretty good alongside Toby Moody to stop me smashing my TV screen!
Old 22 Jun 2012, 09:51 (Ref:3096312)   #7
vintage
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cheshire
vintage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC Commentating

Yes we miss Tim he knows what he is talking about. But will somebody tell the new commentators that when at Oulton Park Knicker Brook is Knicker Brook not Hislops. Hislops is only for bikes.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 11:45 (Ref:3096367)   #8
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It should be obvious why that mistake got made so much, shouldn't it?
Old 22 Jun 2012, 13:04 (Ref:3096391)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Moody is fine for bikes, but he needs to stop bloody shouting and getting pathetically iover excited over nothing

It kind of works on bikes, but not in this stuff.

he does it wirth everything though so must be some kind of selling point! (not)
Old 22 Jun 2012, 13:32 (Ref:3096405)   #10
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure at one point he called Clay Hill "City Hall".

Moody's not the man for the job, I'd have preferred somebody like David Addison.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 15:49 (Ref:3096455)   #11
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't understand the fuss about Toby Moody, I really can't stand him. His commentary is forced and annoying. Couple that with Simon Hill and it's a complete disaster.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 20:15 (Ref:3096574)   #12
Balgair
Rookie

United Kingdom
Balgair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tried to give Moody a fair chance but he's grated on me from the start, can't even put my finger on it, but his tone of voice or something like that just jars on me. I used to think of Harvey as the weaker link in the commentary team, when he was with Ben Edwards, but now you see such a huge difference when he's gone, no disrespect to Simon Hill but Harvey works much better with Moody in my mind. Would rather see it as Harvey and someone else though, tbh, I'm sure Moody is great at bikes but I'm not a big fan of him for BTCC.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 15:39 (Ref:3097238)   #13
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes commentating is hard and its easy to make mistakes... But dear god, it's STILL Bratt!
Old 25 Jun 2012, 04:52 (Ref:3097572)   #14
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89 View Post
Don't understand the fuss about Toby Moody, I really can't stand him. His commentary is forced and annoying. Couple that with Simon Hill and it's a complete disaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghirlracer View Post
I tried to give Moody a fair chance but he's grated on me from the start, can't even put my finger on it, but his tone of voice or something like that just jars on me. I used to think of Harvey as the weaker link in the commentary team, when he was with Ben Edwards, but now you see such a huge difference when he's gone, no disrespect to Simon Hill but Harvey works much better with Moody in my mind. Would rather see it as Harvey and someone else though, tbh, I'm sure Moody is great at bikes but I'm not a big fan of him for BTCC.
Ghirlracer, I think safc_fan89 nailed it. Mr. Moody just seems to force his excitement too much. His voice almost sounds patronizing in a way, as though he is trying to read you a bedtime story. He just has this way of getting on your nerves? I feel too lazy to Google this, but why did Ben Edwards leave?

Also, where's a link to the full Oulton Park races that I can watch in the USA?

Last edited by Beetle; 25 Jun 2012 at 04:54. Reason: Question on YouTube full races
Old 25 Jun 2012, 09:19 (Ref:3097639)   #15
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
I feel too lazy to Google this, but why did Ben Edwards leave?
http://bit.ly/MPDuDn

Moody was bloody awful yesterday. Is he as bad as this on bikes?
Old 25 Jun 2012, 10:26 (Ref:3097669)   #16
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
http://bit.ly/MPDuDn

Moody was bloody awful yesterday. Is he as bad as this on bikes?
moody and julian ryder are bloody brilliant on bikes! sometimes they are more entertaining that the race itself, i guess he just needs to find his feet

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 25 Jun 2012, 10:30 (Ref:3097671)   #17
knowyourenemy
Rookie

Scotland
Glasgow
knowyourenemy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
Yes commentating is hard and its easy to make mistakes... But dear god, it's STILL Bratt!
that got pretty annoying, after almost 2 laps shouting at the TV telling them it was the #14.....then they did it again as Shedden crossed the line
Old 25 Jun 2012, 11:47 (Ref:3097721)   #18
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am so pleased that other people find Toby Moody as annoying as I do and for all the same reasons, he drove me mad yesterday with his over excitement about nothing and getting the cars mixed up. I am hoping Tim will be back at Snetterton to keep him under control and correct all his mistakes!
Old 25 Jun 2012, 12:55 (Ref:3097755)   #19
Balgair
Rookie

United Kingdom
Balgair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Ghirlracer, I think safc_fan89 nailed it. Mr. Moody just seems to force his excitement too much. His voice almost sounds patronizing in a way, as though he is trying to read you a bedtime story. He just has this way of getting on your nerves?
I think I agree, that about sums up my feelings. I try to not let it irritate me too much, but it's been even worse with Harvey away; I actually quite like Simon Hill on the support races but combined with Moody really doesn't work for me. And I know those Audis look similar (being fair, there's a few teams where I wish they'd make more difference in their liveries, although with the different sponsors, the Audis are easier to tell apart than some), but you'd think after the first time they'd remember to check the second time.

I'm getting flashbacks to James Allen and Martin Brundle, I won't claim Harvey is quite as expert a commentator as Brundle, but he sure makes it a lot better to listen to. Oh well, I hope Moody's just taking time to settle in, if we get stuck with him as long as Allen lasted (ITV don't seem to like getting rid of commentators) I really want him to improve soon.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 13:48 (Ref:3097777)   #20
Tom Bee
Racer

United Kingdom
Knickerbrook
Tom Bee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I defended Moody after Brands as I thought it was a bit harsh with all the stick he was getting considering it was his first meeting. However I think this weekend was the worst he has been. As soon as he got the Audi the wrong way round I (like I am sure many others did) knew strait away. And when he made the mistake again I couldn't believe it!

As for Simon Hill I think he is quite a good commentator. When he had the interview before Race 1 he reminded me of a young Tim Harvey the way he explains the technical information about the BTCC to the audience.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3098322)   #21
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Mistaking one Audi for another for almost an entire lap was really really poor, were they not even looking at their monitors? And then to do again 5 minutes later in the same race, that is pathetic and amaturish and really makes it hard to defend them.

If there are two commentators - one should spend 100% of his time looking at the same footage that is being transmitted to the punters, and let the other commentator look at timing screens and see what is happening out of the window etc.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 11:05 (Ref:3098340)   #22
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
They don't look out the window, they have it screened off to stop the sun getting in. I noticed they both have 3 screens each. One with the feed that's being broadcasted, then a different feed and the timing screen.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 07:27 (Ref:3098812)   #23
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr View Post
moody and julian ryder are bloody brilliant on bikes! sometimes they are more entertaining that the race itself, i guess he just needs to find his feet
I think that's the problem, he is trying to be entertaining and to anyone unfamiliar with his style, it is quite "in your face" and can be seen as unprofessional. He should focus on doing a good job over showing a bubbly personality.

Mistakes I can live with. Ben Edwards makes them all the time, but he corrects himself as soon as he has realised. Continuing with a mistake is poor. It's something that ITV are renowned for in their football coverage. They insist a goal was brilliant even when they watch a replay which shows it took a significant deflection...
Old 27 Jun 2012, 09:03 (Ref:3098855)   #24
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
I think it would be nice if a mod could split the "Toby Moody Bashing" thread out of this one...