Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Feb 2016, 19:35 (Ref:3617134)   #1471
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i can't see how this is going to be anything other than a big confusing mess for anyone actually watching it at the circuit. it's a bit ballroom dancing, isn't it?
Old 23 Feb 2016, 20:12 (Ref:3617149)   #1472
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, my first thought is who asked for this? No wonder they were able to agree unanimously, it doesn't really change anything, or fix any of the problems. The order will basically be set by the first round of fast laps and then it will be a case of touring round until you are inevitably eliminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i can't see how this is going to be anything other than a big confusing mess for anyone actually watching it at the circuit. it's a bit ballroom dancing, isn't it?
I think it will quite easy to follow. As long as you make a note of which car has failed to come around again each lap, you'll know exactly the order of elimination (and hence the grid order too).
Old 23 Feb 2016, 20:17 (Ref:3617150)   #1473
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
appreciate that, but it seems a bit weird that in formula one, during a qualification session, instead of looking for the guy on a blinding quick lap we're going to spend all session looking for the guy going the slowest...
Old 23 Feb 2016, 20:19 (Ref:3617151)   #1474
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
fair point there. this seems like a format that can only work well on TV with a commentator, camera following the action, and on screen graphics showing who is up or down.

actually from both a TV and trackside point of view i always liked was 2004? rules when it was the two sessions (one low fuel to set the order for the 1 lap shoot out) with both sessions on the same day (Sat). both on TV and track side i found it engaging the whole time.

anyways all the tweaking over the years sort of just reinforces how inherently uninteresting quali can be. even the pre mid 90s format (low fuel with quali trim) with its freedom was boring as most teams just sat around for 50 minutes and ran like crazy for the last 10 minutes.

once they changed it to make cars plod around for 10 or so laps first to fill in the TV program its all been an attempt to introduce some excitement into something not particularity exciting.

dont get me wrong some of those Schumi vs Mika shootouts were epic but there has never been much more than 5-10 minutes of excitement to be had from any qualifying format. Jerez 97 being the only exception...the exception that proves the rule really.

so im fine with them trying something new.
Old 23 Feb 2016, 20:25 (Ref:3617157)   #1475
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
appreciate that, but it seems a bit weird that in formula one, during a qualification session, instead of looking for the guy on a blinding quick lap we're going to spend all session looking for the guy going the slowest...
That's a fair point. Although as I said above, I think the order will be largely set during the grace period at the start of each session. Then it'll be a case of those in the elimination spot trying to go faster to displace the driver above him each lap. Effectively each lap in the elimination portion will be a one-lap shoot out between the two slowest drivers, so it will be about watching fast times, just at the back not the front.

Last edited by pirenzo; 23 Feb 2016 at 20:29. Reason: extra thought
Old 23 Feb 2016, 22:12 (Ref:3617176)   #1476
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Another no solution to the problem set of regs coming up!

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/126394-...seconds-faster

Who cares if they are 3 secs a lap faster?

Can they race one another?
Old 23 Feb 2016, 22:42 (Ref:3617183)   #1477
old man
Subscriber
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with chillibowl, result will be mixed up grids with critical timing of a change to new tyres catching people out. We always get good races when grids get mixed up, this may be an attempt to deliberately create them.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 09:34 (Ref:3617303)   #1478
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a radical idea, no qualifying, it will cut down on costs and some motors will last all year. Line everyone up on the grid and drop the flag, the last man on every lap gets eliminated until we have a winner.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 10:21 (Ref:3617313)   #1479
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even more radical. Why not just put all the drivers in a room, and play musical chairs until there is a winner. Would save hundreds of millions of dollars, plus help save the planet at the same time.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 10:45 (Ref:3617323)   #1480
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
I prefer to keep it simple with a conventional qualifying session or two, rather than over complicating it
Old 24 Feb 2016, 11:04 (Ref:3617330)   #1481
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about a 20 minute free for all? Like what the V8 Supercars do.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 11:16 (Ref:3617333)   #1482
steve_r
Veteran

England
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ripped from Sky Sports:-

'A new qualification format was unanimously accepted by the F1 Commission. The new system is being evaluated for introduction, potentially as soon as the beginning of the 2016 season.

Q1

•16 minutes

•After 7 minutes, slowest driver eliminated

•Slowest driver eliminated every 1 minute 30 seconds thereafter until the chequered flag

•7 drivers eliminated, 15 progress to Q2

Q2

•15 minutes

•After 6 minutes, slowest driver eliminated

•Slowest driver eliminated every 1 minute 30 seconds thereafter until the chequered flag

•7 drivers eliminated, 8 progress to Q3

Q3

•14 minutes

•After 5 minutes, slowest driver eliminated

•2 drivers left in final 1 minute 30 seconds

The final elimination in each session occurs at the chequered flag – not when time is up.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 11:18 (Ref:3617335)   #1483
steve_r
Veteran

England
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see anything wrong with the current rules, but the change will at least make sure that there is on track action straightaway - no more will the green light come on, and everyone stays in the pits.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 11:30 (Ref:3617340)   #1484
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There's the rub, Bella. The people at the circuit are the last people they will be thinking about. It's for 'The Show'.

Imagine a world where drivers compete against each other to see who is fastest. Some people come to watch because they want to see drivers and cars on the ragged edge. The winner is the driver who completes the race distance in the shortest time. There is no 'show', just a motor race. Pure fantasy, I know.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 12:19 (Ref:3617351)   #1485
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope someone can point out the problem that this is the solution for. It's qualifying - it's not the race. It's not meant to be as exciting as the race. It shouldn't be a highlight of the weekend. If promoters have asked for change in order that they can sell more tickets to try and lose only a large sum of money rather than an eye-wateringly vast sum of money then actually £cclestone doesn't really need to look too far in order to find a solution to that one.

But of course this isn't going to improve the trackside event at all unless you happen to have a screen nearby with times on it, so the promoters will have been given change for change's sake.

I think there's lot of poorly thought through elements of this plan. If cars need to be on track throughout then there's no tyre changing so as mentioned by someone above the first couple of laps will set out pretty much how the session will go, removing any semblance of drama we at least had with the previous system.

Yellow flags are very likely to have an influence in several sessions with drivers who slow down to proper safe yellow flag speeds being penalised and as before those who go steaming through the flagged zones are ignored. After Jules's accident I thought they'd clamp down on this but there's been none.

And what if wet weather improves during a session. Are they going to allow a tyre change, or do they expect everyone to cruise around on threadbare rubber.

This change is enough that I probably won't bother with qualifying at all this season. I suppose it's not a "caution clock" but it's not much less contrived.