Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 8 Apr 2007, 12:21 (Ref:1886348)   #26
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
But wasn't the order of news this way?

1. Andersson: "It's 90% certain that I will race STCC next year. 50/50 between my current Alfa, a 2003 spec car with 2004 updates, or some other car."
2. The Alfa is for sale (MotorsportAds)
3. The Alfa is sold to Portugal - this part I remember correctly
4. Mattias confirmed for 2007 with Alfa Romeo - the car was down in Italy being prepared for the season, it was reported.

Question is, has he said "post-sale" that he would keep racing the same car?

Now when I think about it, you must be right! The thing that confuses me what the he never said he bought a new one, but I guess he must have, cause he said he was gonna run the 156 in the Caran Cup if he decided to keep it, as its a 03 car with 04 upgrades that would be well suited, but now looking at the entry lsit he is not in Caran Cup wich really can only mean he bought a new 156. Now comes the interesting part, wich car did he buy?
Old 9 Apr 2007, 13:43 (Ref:1887223)   #27
roachy101
Racer

roachy101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if the portugese championship can get decent crowds at events like estoril then perhaps it's stature could grow beyond Portugal
Old 2 May 2007, 01:57 (Ref:1904672)   #28
JerH77
Racer

Germany
Bayonne, New Jersey
JerH77 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I didnt know there was a Portuguese Touring Car Championship. Is the website available in English or just in Portuguese?
Old 2 May 2007, 18:38 (Ref:1905218)   #29
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
A S200-championship on the Iberian peninsula would be great. Whith tracks as Jerez, Jarama, Barcelona, Valencia, Albacete, Braga and Estoril, you can have a great championschip. And you can join the WTCC at 3 circuits, Valencia, Porto and Pau, which is in France, but near Spain. I can name you at least 1 manufacturer that would join...
While a regional championship could lead to more cars, doesn't that also increase costs as teams have to travel farther in between each race? I'm sounding negative, but the ATCC is a regional series, yet they can't even break the 10 car S2000 barrier?

OTOH, perhaps a regional championship would encourage Works/importer support for a team?
Old 2 May 2007, 21:49 (Ref:1905404)   #30
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
While a regional championship could lead to more cars, doesn't that also increase costs as teams have to travel farther in between each race? I'm sounding negative, but the ATCC is a regional series, yet they can't even break the 10 car S2000 barrier?

OTOH, perhaps a regional championship would encourage Works/importer support for a team?
Ten-car barrier, they're having trouble breaking the five-car one!
Old 4 May 2007, 12:44 (Ref:1906542)   #31
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can better compare the ATCC whith an European championship, given the size of the region it's kept. The Iberian peninsula is a more 'natural' region for a championship. It's hardly larger than the Area's of the Swedisch or Britisch championships. Basically it would be an enlarged Spanisch championship.
A Benelux-championship would also be great, with races on Zandvoort, Zolder, Assen and Francorchamps, and maybe a race at the Nuernburgring.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 21:17 (Ref:2109044)   #32
Brickyard
Rookie

Portugal
Brickyard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
You can better compare the ATCC whith an European championship, given the size of the region it's kept. The Iberian peninsula is a more 'natural' region for a championship. It's hardly larger than the Area's of the Swedisch or Britisch championships. Basically it would be an enlarged Spanisch championship.
Why??

As far as I know, WE have the PTCC, and the Spanish don't have a Touring Car Championship for the moment...

Ok, ok! there will be an Iberian Touring Car Cup (ITCC) this year. You can see the calendar here. (organized by US)

And the PTCC calendar (quite similar) is here.

we will have a new race track that is being build from scratch. It will be an International Circuit (Also known as Parkalgar) suitable for the major international championships as it gained the FIA aproval, located in Portimão in the Algarve region.

I'll try to keep coming infos from those two championships here.

Regards
Luis Mateus
Old 18 Jan 2008, 22:07 (Ref:2109085)   #33
Brickyard
Rookie

Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
Now when I think about it, you must be right! The thing that confuses me what the he never said he bought a new one, but I guess he must have, cause he said he was gonna run the 156 in the Caran Cup if he decided to keep it, as its a 03 car with 04 upgrades that would be well suited, but now looking at the entry lsit he is not in Caran Cup wich really can only mean he bought a new 156. Now comes the interesting part, wich car did he buy?
Any more on this? Does the car came to Portugal or not?

look at this photo of the car at the Estoril ETCC. In the bonet is "for sale"

Last edited by Brickyard; 18 Jan 2008 at 22:12.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 22:43 (Ref:2109103)   #34
Brickyard
Rookie

Portugal
BTW, could any of our swedish friends take a look at this article and see if is something relevant to our figure the Alfa Romeo story?

(my swedish is like my chinese language understanding...nil )

thank you
Old 19 Jan 2008, 14:57 (Ref:2109402)   #35
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard
BTW, could any of our swedish friends take a look at this article and see if is something relevant to our figure the Alfa Romeo story?

(my swedish is like my chinese language understanding...nil )

thank you
It only says that they had upgraded their Alfa with the new facelifted version, better brakes etc. Nothing on the car history is revealed in the text or the technical info. The article is dated 2005.

It was also mentioned that they had changed to a 6-speed seq. gearbox for that season. That was only used at the beginning of 2002 as I remember? The worksteams changed to seq. boxes because of reliability problems in mid-season?
Old 19 Jan 2008, 17:25 (Ref:2109449)   #36
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During atleast the first year of S2000 ('02) you had to use an H-box. Naturally when allowed to change to a sequential one the following years everyone jumped at the chance, except for BMW who wanted to save weight (FIA hands you penalty weight for having a seq. box).
Old 19 Jan 2008, 22:14 (Ref:2109555)   #37
Brickyard
Rookie

Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettersson
It only says that they had upgraded their Alfa with the new facelifted version, better brakes etc. Nothing on the car history is revealed in the text or the technical info. The article is dated 2005.

It was also mentioned that they had changed to a 6-speed seq. gearbox for that season. That was only used at the beginning of 2002 as I remember? The worksteams changed to seq. boxes because of reliability problems in mid-season?
Thank You, Pettersson and Jimmy.

I'm trying to contact the owner of the Alfa Romeo to clarify the situation, but a journalist friend of mine assured me that the car was the Andersson's car and that the first contacts were made after the 2006 Estoril ETCC race.

the plot thickens...
Old 22 Jan 2008, 10:54 (Ref:2111154)   #38
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard
Why??

As far as I know, WE have the PTCC, and the Spanish don't have a Touring Car Championship for the moment...

Ok, ok! there will be an Iberian Touring Car Cup (ITCC) this year. You can see the calendar here. (organized by US)

And the PTCC calendar (quite similar) is here.

we will have a new race track that is being build from scratch. It will be an International Circuit (Also known as Parkalgar) suitable for the major international championships as it gained the FIA aproval, located in Portimão in the Algarve region.

I'll try to keep coming infos from those two championships here.

Regards
Luis Mateus
Sorry, I didn't mean to upset anyone. What I meant was that if a high-profile Iberian championship would be organised, the number of tracks and inhabitants would make it logical to organise more races and have more competitors from Spain then from Portugal.
I have to admit that when I wrote my last reply (I is very old as you may have seen) I only knew the circuits of Estoril and Braga, and not about Vila Real or the to-be-built track in the Algarve.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 10:46 (Ref:2116934)   #39
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole
NotOver here there is a debate on what Greece will do in the future and we think S2000 might be a mistake because a) it costs too much, b) the cars require technical sophistication which is provided only by professional teams. Since there are none of them locally, people will need Italian or whatever teams and this would cost a fortune.
Why should big powerful country like Greece, not have big powerful in-house touring car championship packed with colour and 250,000+ street circuit crowds ????!!

"Even" New Zealand (mighty New Zealand of course) has a very big and very popular local touring car series, with plently of overflow of entrants.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 12:17 (Ref:2116973)   #40
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you will find that in motorsport terms Greece is more like a 3rd world country (no offense to 3rd world countries) rather than big or powerful. Pity but that's life.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 17:02 (Ref:2117162)   #41
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about form a regional championship with (possibly) Turkey and the Balkans? A South East Europe TCC?
Old 30 Jan 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2117173)   #42
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, we do that in karting and it is working to some extend. However there are only two car circuits in Greece (one decent, the other horrible), three in Turkey (with the best one out of bounds for local racing the others are pretty basic), the Bucarest street thing and nothing more. So it is not really easy to create a Balkan series as such.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2117182)   #43
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What are the Greek circuits like? I'm pretty sure that round your way a street circuit would be do-able.

Maybe Bucharest + The better Greek track + Istanbul + Ismir + Street circuit in Nicosia? + Belgrade street circuit? + Zagreb?. Could work, all it would need is good marketing.

What exactly does the Istanbul circuit get used for most of the time as it is this year it's only got F1 by the looks of it. Surely it can't survive on F1 alone as Bernie asks the tracks to pay ... If they want too much for it, it's not essential as it's not too suited to touring cars.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2117194)   #44
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Rijeka in Croatia? It's a quite nice circuit IMO.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2117195)   #45
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker
What about Rijeka in Croatia? It's a quite nice circuit IMO.
Stupid me.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2117255)   #46
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
The Danisch Championship only uses 3 circuits, and still is a pretty nice championship. And all Dutch championships are for 50-80% raced at Zandvoort. So a championship with for instance 4x the good track, 2x the bad track, once to Italy and once to Turkey would be nice. But a S2000-championship out of the blue would be a hard thing to arrange. A superproductionchampionship is maybe better. Later an S2000-class could be arranged.
And it would be nice to see a round of a big Italian championship in Greece, Superstars or the GT's. That would give some publicity for racing in Greece.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 20:07 (Ref:2382835)   #47
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Where can I find detailed race results from 2008? ptcc.com.pt isn't terribly helpful.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 23:19 (Ref:2382929)   #48
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
Where can I find detailed race results from 2008? ptcc.com.pt isn't terribly helpful.
Try www.fpak.pt , I guess (it's the site from the Portuguese Federation).
Old 30 Jan 2009, 23:26 (Ref:2382932)   #49
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Been there, done that. I get the championship table (http://www.fpak.pt/classificacoes/20...ptcc_2008.htm), but I'm looking for meeting-by-meeting entry lists and resullts.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 19:34 (Ref:2383345)   #50
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, I'll see what I can do at the Sportmotores site.

Just be a little pacient