Old 19 Aug 2004, 17:55 (Ref:1071775)   #26
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Obviously you haven't been watching very closely.
Really. The race coverage that I watch often talks about GF and his performance in the Sauber cars.

Mike
Old 19 Aug 2004, 18:00 (Ref:1071780)   #27
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk
I would think that likely .... perhaps in the back of JV's mind, still an outside chance to drive for Ferrari before he retires. Never say never!
This is what I thought of as well, using the ride as a possible springboard to Ferrari the way Fisichella planned to. Imagine if Michael decides not to race in 2005 or 2006 after all the major drivers are signed - they've got a world champion right under their noses, and I wonder how much prestige and fan appeal Ferrari could regain with a Villneuve at the wheel.
Old 19 Aug 2004, 18:03 (Ref:1071783)   #28
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah as long as MS is in a Ferrari i dont think JV will go there... If MS does suddenly decide to leave after the major drivers are contracted then maybe it is possible...

But knowing MS i cant see him leaving Ferrari before giving them long enough notice to find a replacement of their choice
Old 19 Aug 2004, 19:21 (Ref:1071854)   #29
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My opinions on a Jacques return have changed a bit and I now appreciate he would be a refreshed driver and possibly back to his best should he make a return. As long as that is in a TOP outfit.

I therefore feel that a Sauber seat would not be right for him. I hope he goes to BAR if Davidson can't get the seat.

Others have made successful returns to F1....not least my personal hero, Mr Mansell (until the McLaren debacle). So I feel now is the right time for Jacques to make a return. If he don't get a seat for next year though, his career is FINISHED.
Old 19 Aug 2004, 22:03 (Ref:1072050)   #30
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are we talking about the right JV here? Initial i thought the thread was about Verstappen. Jacques in a Sauber sounds a bit funny.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 16:04 (Ref:1072888)   #31
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Knowslesy: after reading your post above (and picking my self off the floor ) .... I agree with everything you just stated (except the Ant part). I think JV knows very well that he can't remain out of F1 much longer and he's pulling out all the stops ...eg.. money is not an issue, CP need not be involved, at least in person.
The lastest quote from his website:
Jacques also made clear that his salary wouldn't be a factor in determining his future employment.

"I would be quite happy to work for bonuses," he said. "I haven't even thought about the money, it's not the important thing right now."

Last edited by Kirk; 20 Aug 2004 at 16:10.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 19:27 (Ref:1073080)   #32
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
JV may as well visit Gracelands....
Because the King will be returning first......
Old 20 Aug 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1073082)   #33
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was previously sceptical, but I now firmly believe Jacques Villeneuve will be racing F1 next year.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 19:44 (Ref:1073097)   #34
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it says a lot about his change in attitude that he'd even consider visiting a team like Sauber at all. Sounds like he really is extremely eager to get back onto the grid. Which is fine by me, I think he's still a more than competent driver... I hope he has a crack at winning Le Mans some day, though. Now that'd make a unique record.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 20:22 (Ref:1073142)   #35
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still think his chances of not racing next year are better than racing next year. But he definitely has a shot. Although, I still don't understand his return in a Sauber. Racing in a midfield team isn't what he wanted. The BAR seat is the last reasonable one left. There is the Toyota seat, but that's probably Trulli's. Why torture yourself for a year for the slight chance of a good seat in 2006? IMO he's just prolonging the inevitable.
Old 21 Aug 2004, 04:22 (Ref:1073384)   #36
Nizmo32_josh
Rookie

Nizmo32_josh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont bash me for this please as it is just a thought. but wouldnt Toyota be a good place for Jacques as he was linked / ??raced?? for them in sportscars, making him no stranger to Toyota. After all they (Toyota) are after another experianced driver for cheap if possiable. I know Jacques would like this to as it would allow him to showup Schuies Brother.......

Just a Theory that has been playing in my head since the da matta axeing......

Last edited by Nizmo32_josh; 21 Aug 2004 at 04:25.
Old 21 Aug 2004, 08:22 (Ref:1073460)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just like our own Alan Jones, you cant take the title "World Drivers Champion" away from Jacques....

He must have some marketability to Sauber, if nothing else, they would attract a load of interesting looking females dripping off him....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Aug 2004, 18:37 (Ref:1074532)   #38
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jacques at Toyota? You must be kidding - can you imagine the fuss and handbags with JV and Ralf in the same team!\

Sauber is a good choice - he'll be genuinely very confident of beating Massa comprehensively, and Massa is a quantity very well known to lots of people, especially Ferrari. Should Schumacher decide to step down some time soon that would be a nice position for JV to be in.
Old 24 Aug 2004, 18:05 (Ref:1076374)   #39
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see the fuss about why Sauber are a bad team - OK they are a mid field team at the minute - but they do have Ferrari engines. Their problem for me seems to be poor race tactics and drivers who have mid-field mentality. OK the car might suck as bit - but stick a good driver in there and you;d see better finishes and a damn sight of an improvement if they've got the back room staff to make the changes needed.

Personally I think JV could do the team a world of good - Whether that could be reciprocated by the team - they have recently got their wind tunnel online - but do some better engineering/aero bods - remains to be seen.

Let's face it Fisi hasn't exactly shone in any of the teams he's been at - another tale of promise without true delivery.

Massa - I just don't buy it- he's not destined to be a world champion in any equipment.
Old 24 Aug 2004, 18:06 (Ref:1076375)   #40
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And another thing BAR were hardly covering themselves in glory over the last 2 years were they?

Look at themm this season - it can all be turned round very quickly.

No reason why that can't happen at Sauber.
Old 24 Aug 2004, 18:57 (Ref:1076414)   #41
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes but there is stiff competion at Sauber with guys like Luzzi, Paffett, Albers and many more. Where as it's just between Mika and JV with a slight possiblity of Davidson at BAR.
Old 24 Aug 2004, 19:31 (Ref:1076435)   #42
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would rather think it's just between Jacques and Anthony, think Mika is just having a laugh...
Old 24 Aug 2004, 20:40 (Ref:1076468)   #43
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely.

I'd say it's between Coulthard, Villeneuve and Davidson at BAR.
Old 24 Aug 2004, 21:35 (Ref:1076535)   #44
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd fancy Davidson at BAR, but I can see a certain scotsman having a good shout for the seat, but could
he offer the team enough in the long term?