Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Apr 2014, 07:36 (Ref:3388172)   #401
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
This is my view of the Surtees Trophy race. Best bit is the lap or so after the re-start!
http://youtu.be/qCz2gBaXGeM
Marcus
Phew! Breathtaking!

I'm sitting here at the breakfast table catching up with all these videos, certainly makes a stirring change from my usual diet of 100cc karting analysis!
Old 3 Apr 2014, 18:42 (Ref:3388381)   #402
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few from the opening laps of the Moss Trophy which started just before 6pm on the Saturday evening. If they appear to be a bit on the darkish side there's a good reason for that - it was getting a bit dark by then!
Attached Thumbnails
GJC_7681.jpg   GJC_7685.jpg   GJC_7690.jpg  

GJC_7695.jpg   GJC_7712.jpg   GJC_7720.jpg  

Old 3 Apr 2014, 18:48 (Ref:3388385)   #403
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And a few individual shots from the Moss Trophy as well. I think these would all be the first driver only as I stopped photographing shortly after these were taken so I could just watch. Really good race into the dark to finish the first day off.
Attached Thumbnails
GJC_7746.jpg   GJC_7749.jpg   GJC_7811.jpg  

GJC_7827.jpg   GJC_7830.jpg   GJC_7838.jpg  

Old 3 Apr 2014, 19:01 (Ref:3388387)   #404
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamness View Post
Beautifully prepared and presented Shaw & Kilburn Viva GT circulating at Combe yesterday afternoon en route to Goodwood.
Mmh, in wonder who that was in the hail and rain....
Thank you for the compliment on presentation, Alec Cooper must take the credit, I just decided on the livery.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 19:05 (Ref:3388388)   #405
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRacer View Post
Awesome event, we had the mighty Sam Hancock driving our Ecurie Ecosse lister, anyone got any good pics from the salvadori cup ? I can't seem to find them anywhere, do you reckon they will launch a serious series after the Gerry Marshall cup ?
Old 3 Apr 2014, 19:05 (Ref:3388393)   #406
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is always a discussion about which events are best, biggest, most relevant but once again it seems that Goodwood has provided a meeting where the cars that inspired me to go racing (although truly outside of my budget) will turn up and engage in real wheel to wheel combat. There was an observation earlier in the thread that it was like a real club meeting - did these exotic cars really turn up in club races? Surely only in the international events. Goodwood hosted many significant races in period but would there have been these sort of grids at a members meeting?

Last edited by DaveGT6; 3 Apr 2014 at 19:14.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 19:14 (Ref:3388394)   #407
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Methinks Peter had his Shooting Times hat on for the weekend........

Or maybe not.....
Peter looked the part all weekend, whereas I was in shorts and espradrilles, it was a heat wave for me!!
Dress code was strange, we were asked to dress in the spirit of Goodwood, but racing in a mainly '80s race I didn't want any tweed or flatcaps; grew the sideburns, had '70s sunglasses (ex GM, so real!!) and not sure what else could be done?!
Old 3 Apr 2014, 19:17 (Ref:3388397)   #408
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Brilliant, thank you very much Gary.

Regrettably, I missed Roger Wills from my previous post about folks who offered encouragement. Roger was out in our race in the Brut 33 Capri. Apologies Roger.
I think Roger brought our whole smog issue over just with his Capri!!
Roger what happened to the car?
Was great to catch up with him though, even if he did pose in his JPS jacket and paddock bike!!
Old 3 Apr 2014, 19:19 (Ref:3388399)   #409
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuttley View Post
Watching from the sidelines I was surprised to see how 'aggressive' a lot of the driving was in the majority of races.

Maybe I have softened up a little since my 'lay-off'' ?.. but there was very little of "your'e alongside chap, your corner" in evidence.

It was after all, no more than a (private) club meeting.
Quite a few people were called to the clerk of the course and suitably reprimanded!!
Old 3 Apr 2014, 19:47 (Ref:3388414)   #410
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Tiff didn't resort to barging. There was a Capri that suddenly slowed dramatically going into the chicane, I watched it from the pits. Yes a bit of a ding in the front of my car but nothing to get uptight about, it will pull out and won't be noticeable. He is a very committed driver, but he also spent a lot of time encouraging me and being extremely sociable. He demonstrated that the car is quite capable of running at the front with very little development. A testament to the skills and outright effort put in by Ken Clarke and his team.

As far as driving standards are concerned I had a BMW 530 almost take the front of my car off in race one because it was going so unfeasibly fast into St Mary's. That was being driven by the owner not the VIP and I had to take avoiding action. Also whilst I am guilty of baulking Nick Swift (I really couldn't see him whilst I was overtaking another car) he was so ungracious about it I could have been forgiven for doing the opposite of apologising, which is actually what I did.

My report is here: http://mallettracing.blogspot.co.uk/. Apologies for not putting something specific here but I wanted to share it elsewhere.
Peter, I agree with you to a certain degree - I've been lucky over the years to meet a lot of these drivers in my other life and I had some pre-conceived ideas from what I remember as a younger person, what I see on the the TV/track and looking just looking at results.
There were certain people I didn't like before, didn't rate, people I looked up to a little and some that I had not had much of an interest in.
Robb Gravett was fantastic - I last met him 25 years ago selling his MGB racer to my late Dad to fund his BTCC Sierra Cosworth championship winning season - but he was brilliant - I know would love to see him back in BTCC.
Squeaker was Squeaker unfortunately
Tiff was an arse, drivers briefing, race and changing rooms unfortunately.
I was v disappointed with Pirro's driving Sat morning qualifying and he I'm not sure how he got owner status for Sat afternoon??
Nick Swift all weekend drove like a kart and made me go off the track to avoid him - not a fan at all, I was on the outer edge, had let 3 cars by...
Stuart Hall has been a mate of mine all of his life (and more!!) and it was great to beat him - he was the fastest bloke in the race in the slowest car!!
Old 3 Apr 2014, 20:36 (Ref:3388438)   #411
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80644424@N00/
Old 4 Apr 2014, 08:24 (Ref:3388581)   #412
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Good number plate.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 08:25 (Ref:3388582)   #413
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Nice to know I'm not the only one who speaks his mind.
most of you are far too polite/scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM View Post
Peter, I agree with you to a certain degree - I've been lucky over the years to meet a lot of these drivers in my other life and I had some pre-conceived ideas from what I remember as a younger person, what I see on the the TV/track and looking just looking at results.
There were certain people I didn't like before, didn't rate, people I looked up to a little and some that I had not had much of an interest in.
Robb Gravett was fantastic - I last met him 25 years ago selling his MGB racer to my late Dad to fund his BTCC Sierra Cosworth championship winning season - but he was brilliant - I know would love to see him back in BTCC.
Squeaker was Squeaker unfortunately
I was v disappointed with Pirro's driving Sat morning qualifying and he I'm not sure how he got owner status for Sat afternoon??
Nick Swift all weekend drove like a kart and made me go off the track to avoid him - not a fan at all, I was on the outer edge, had let 3 cars by...
Stuart Hall has been a mate of mine all of his life (and more!!) and it was great to beat him - he was the fastest bloke in the race in the slowest car!!
Old 4 Apr 2014, 08:27 (Ref:3388583)   #414
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
at the risk of showing how out of the loop I am who is Squeaker and can someone tell me what he does that makes him so infamous? Sorry to sound so ignorant!
Old 4 Apr 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3388584)   #415
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Nice to know I'm not the only one who speaks his mind.
most of you are far too polite/scared!
I wonder where I get it from?!
Old 4 Apr 2014, 09:01 (Ref:3388592)   #416
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
at the risk of showing how out of the loop I am who is Squeaker and can someone tell me what he does that makes him so infamous? Sorry to sound so ignorant!
Whizzo ....

.....bend other peoples cars
Old 4 Apr 2014, 09:16 (Ref:3388595)   #417
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Peter, I agree with you to a certain degree -..................................Robb Gravett was fantastic - I last met him 25 years ago selling his MGB racer to my late Dad to fund his BTCC Sierra Cosworth championship winning season - but he was brilliant - I know would love to see him back in BTCC.

Hmm, I don't think Tiff was anything but an excellent driver all weekend. So we will have to agree to disagree. Also see your PMs.

Quote:
I was v disappointed with Pirro's driving Sat morning qualifying and he I'm not sure how he got owner status for Sat afternoon?
He allegedly bought the car for a minor sum in order to be the owner for the day. I believe he sold it back for the same sum. Of course it is now worth a lot more.

Quote:
Nick Swift all weekend drove like a kart and made me go off the track to avoid him - not a fan at all, I was on the outer edge, had let 3 cars by..
I also had let many cars by and agree here.

As I said I watched the incident where Tiff ran into the back of the Capri and was quite astonished at the speed differential at the time, it looked to me that the Capri, for whatever reason, slammed its brakes on. Had we been on the stickier tyres I'm sure there would have been little or no contact, as it was the histos had little grip and he was all locked up trying to avoid contact. BTW this is my view and not one I discussed with him, other than to acknowledge the incident.

Quote:
I wonder where I get it from?!
Old 4 Apr 2014, 09:59 (Ref:3388615)   #418
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am just wondering if this is all getting a little close to the knuckle.... I dont thinhk a public forum is the right place to start character assasinations of third parties.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 10:14 (Ref:3388619)   #419
GBRM
Veteran

England
Hi Simon
I saw your car (lt looked great) and kept my eyes open for you but never saw you unfortunately.
I hope you enjoyed the weekend?
Old 4 Apr 2014, 10:16 (Ref:3388620)   #420
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's ok Simon, we'll start on each other soon. Reminds me of the Statler and Waldorf Muppett sketch, where a particular performance went from appalling to wonderful in 30 seconds.

I'm still wearing a silly grin by the way.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 10:36 (Ref:3388625)   #421
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Hi Simon
I saw your car (lt looked great) and kept my eyes open for you but never saw you unfortunately.
I hope you enjoyed the weekend?
hi Gregor

Despite the teething problems with my car I had a most enjoyable weekend. I think we were all very lucky to have been there and, albeit helped by the weather, Goodwood pulled out a blinder.

Your race was one of the weekend highlights for all of us spectating and perhaps like any good production its best not to know the issues "backstage"!

I hope from your own perspective it has given you the taste to maybe do a bit more racing
Old 4 Apr 2014, 10:54 (Ref:3388630)   #422
GBRM
Veteran

England
Glad you enjoyed it Simon and I think the weather definitely helped, but so did all the amazing cars in the other events - I didn't get to see much of the racing but I was able to wander round the paddocks and see all the cars in the other races - I was annoed to miss the Bugatti race I must admit.

Don't worry Simon, I won't divulge all the backstage gossip, it was just a couple of little things that irked me, but all done now.

I would love to race more, but time and money has stopped me doing more but I was pleased to be only 0.14 of a sec slower than my very experienced and fast co-driver, in what was only my 7th race, 1st race in 7 years and 1st time at Goodwood, so hopefully I will get my Firenza out again this year and get some more experience in time for the 73rd meeting!!
Old 4 Apr 2014, 11:48 (Ref:3388643)   #423
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Well done boys for saying it as it is! About time.Of course this place is to air these thoughts .Its not that important or show stopping to brush it under the carpet.Its a pity for Goodwood that some of these guest bods mess up the meeting which I understand was in the main brilliant.

There are a few jerks that spoil it for the majority.

Pleased Peter got on well with Mr N as have always found him a bit of a prat and the likes of Barry Williams a nuisance.Have paid for damage on my cars due to his abilility to belt them.

Some of the professional drivers believe their own BS and forget who pays the bills and some of the owners turn up with their pride and joy and get star struck when confronted by these nearly famous professional drivers.

I have never agreed with the guest driver thing as can't see what it does for the owner.

Whatever makes your boat float.

Thought it was without fancy dress?
Old 4 Apr 2014, 11:57 (Ref:3388649)   #424
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Have to say Gregor your old man was a bit special.First met him in 60's when he had a Mini at Snett and followed soon after by being taken round a very wet Silverstone in a TVR .This was exceptional as it was bar to bar when the meeting was abandoned due to torrential weather.That got lots of people's attention. As circuit was closed at the time.50 years ago!

A really great driver who was head and shoulders about the majority of the so called guest drivers at Goodwood the other day.

If only we had both gone to weight watchers.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 16:07 (Ref:3388733)   #425
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Gotta love you John!