Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Mar 2014, 19:39 (Ref:3376271)   #201
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does look a decent entry:

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/downloads/...entry-list.pdf
Old 7 Mar 2014, 20:00 (Ref:3376283)   #202
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
If its dry the ex Andy Bacon Camaro of Nigel Garrett will cream the field!
Old 7 Mar 2014, 23:57 (Ref:3376338)   #203
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Goodwood entries are the best.

Can't complain about the grids.

Al ,remember what happens at Goodwood and what happens elsewhere is not always obvious.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 06:19 (Ref:3376392)   #204
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Al ,remember what happens at Goodwood and what happens elsewhere is not always obvious.
Can't think what you mean there, John!

Apart from the Gp1 grid, can't help feeling I've seen an awful lot of the entries somewhere else. Ah yes, The Revival!
Old 8 Mar 2014, 07:24 (Ref:3376403)   #205
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
The Gp1 grid looks like the race to be in, and to see . . .with a few more entries they could have almost split into to halves, sort of early and late 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Can't think what you mean there, John!

Apart from the Gp1 grid, can't help feeling I've seen an awful lot of the entries somewhere else. Ah yes, The Revival!
Old 8 Mar 2014, 07:57 (Ref:3376408)   #206
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
McMuttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
You're welcome, meet me at Gatwick as I'll be on my way to France. Goodwood is far too posh for a poor northern lad like me although I do have a flat cap and fake Barbour jacket (no htp papers with it either)
By eck, not another noorthener squatting in Bromley's borders - we should declare independence !
Old 8 Mar 2014, 08:25 (Ref:3376410)   #207
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I like the idea of this series but think they will be up against it ensuring engine internals are Group 1 however i am not keen on the driver sharing bit or even the Goodwood hype, i will be interested to see where it goes from here.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 09:14 (Ref:3376418)   #208
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
If its dry the ex Andy Bacon Camaro of Nigel Garrett will cream the field!
Surely that depends on exactly how period spec the TWR Mazdas are!
Old 8 Mar 2014, 09:26 (Ref:3376421)   #209
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well the car has a lot of records with the CTCRC still so I cant see it being beaten at Goodwood which is a grunt circuit and Nigel is a good driver, if I was a betting man its who I would be putting my money on! As for period spec, how are they ever going to prove one way or the other in what is essentially a club series??? The only fly in the ointment will be the Camaro sliding caliper single cylinder one stop special front brakes and rear drums, I tried to make that combo work once and it was scary it may prove a great leveller!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 8 Mar 2014 at 09:32.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 10:29 (Ref:3376437)   #210
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One of the Mazda's is a replica. The other is apparently the Spa 24hrs winner.

Of the Capris, the ex Woodman car was last seen running 15" rims and some tweeks that most Capris (except mine) adopted. The Brut 33 Capri was, as I was told by the builder, a 1600 that Ford used as a show car so the paint job is/was original but it was never a race car until it was prepped by the restorer.

Of the Rovers; mine is an original chassis and so is the PMS car. The other one is a CTCRC car that has been de specced to meet the regs.

I don't believe, although I'm happy to be corrected, that any of the other Capris are original Group 1 cars.

Jim Morris has restored his father's original Golf and of course there will be Anthony Robinson in his Works Dolly. The ex Irvine Dolly will also be there.

To be frank I'm just looking forward to driving the car, not sure I can expect miracles but you never know. We've taken a slightly different route with the engine and final drive, compared to others. And for what it is worth I am really looking forward to seeing it driven in anger by a professional.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 10:57 (Ref:3376440)   #211
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

To be frank I'm just looking forward to driving the car, not sure I can expect miracles but you never know. We've taken a slightly different route with the engine and final drive, compared to others. And for what it is worth I am really looking forward to seeing it driven in anger by a professional.
And good luck with it Peter - I'm sure it will be fun (why else are you doing it? ) and you have been lucky to secure a good co-driver, who I am told, is reasonably mechanically sympathetic.
I'm always amused by these debates on car performance and eligibility which seem to ignore the simple fact that some drivers are just quicker than others - always easier to blame the car.
I'm sure that if I had a car prepared by, say Simon Hadfield (and perhaps co-driven by him!), it probably wouldn't wouldn't make me into a race winner.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 08:53 (Ref:3376644)   #212
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Its when they pull away from down the straight you know something is wrong, dont take a good drivervto do that just more grunt.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 09:15 (Ref:3376649)   #213
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Its when they pull away from down the straight you know something is wrong, dont take a good drivervto do that just more grunt.
Or a better line in and out of the previous corner.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 09:18 (Ref:3376650)   #214
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Of the three Rovers in the race, all have had their engines supplied by the same person.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 09:26 (Ref:3376656)   #215
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Mar 2014, 09:42 (Ref:3376660)   #216
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
That was rather my point Tim, otherwise we might just as well go to Santa Pod or Avon Raceway.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3376697)   #217
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flagman View Post
Ticket arrived in today's post. The Good Lord and suitable weather means I should be waving upmarket tweed flags from Post 4 - halfway down the straight from Madgwick.

I'm very evidently hoi-poloi but still have an invitation to the evening activities - food & fireworks. Polishing the accent as we speak.

Fingers crossed!

David Morgan
Presumably you'll get the same lunch-bag as at the Revival. Therefore, as one of the few people getting a free nosh, surely you should see yourself as upper crust?

For my part, my good lady wife and I will be on the wrong side of the spectator fencing armed with a secret supply of Post Chief's reports...
Old 9 Mar 2014, 20:21 (Ref:3376812)   #218
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
You dont really believe that old turkey do you?
Old 10 Mar 2014, 06:19 (Ref:3376946)   #219
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yup. Seen it many times from indoor karting to F1.

Set up and good driving can trump a good engine. Years ago I had a trick engine, still couldn't beat the good drivers. Ruddy unfair ain't it?
Old 10 Mar 2014, 06:57 (Ref:3376952)   #220
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
So you are both exiting a corner at thr same speed snd half way down the straight and the other car just drives away from you, in F1s case its more than likely cheating as in slippery electronics giving traction control etc.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 08:03 (Ref:3376973)   #221
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
most definitely . . . . certain circuits give you sector times ( Spa and Goodwood ) as well as terminal speeds . . . very interesting.

Quote:
Old 10 Mar 2014, 12:13 (Ref:3377054)   #222
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think Goodwood is really a grunt circuit, yes you need a certain amount of basic power but it's more about conservation of momentum to slingshot you down the straights. It's why you always see the great Little v Large touring car races, terrific entertainment and I hope they do a TV programme of this meeting so I can get to see it.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 12:20 (Ref:3377059)   #223
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
with all the V8's in the GP1 race I still bet Swifties '1275' GT will be in the thick of it.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 12:27 (Ref:3377064)   #224
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, Mr Needell suggested that the Rover would be a "handfull" around the twists and turns. I see that Nic Minassion is unavailable due to his sports car duties. However Patrick Watts has a drive in one of the Mazdas!

Not to mention our own Roger Wills will be peddling the Brut 33 Capri.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 12:30 (Ref:3377065)   #225
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So you are both exiting a corner at thr same speed snd half way down the straight and the other car just drives away from you, in F1s case its more than likely cheating as in slippery electronics giving traction control etc.
No, that is not what is being said, Al. If you take a better line, you are optimising your speed in, through, and out of the corner, which means you are carrying more speed onto the straight with all the benefits that accrues. There are many examples of better drivers beating quicker cars.