Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3862794)   #326
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As an aside, I'm reading a really interesting book about cognitive dissonance at the moment.

I should write to the author and point them at this thread.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3862796)   #327
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will both of you stop before I die of vicarious embarassment?
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:34 (Ref:3862798)   #328
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
As an aside, I'm reading a really interesting book about cognitive dissonance at the moment.

pahahaha that made me giggle :-)
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3862799)   #329
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
Will both of you stop before I die of vicarious embarassment?
2? can you not count man :-p theres a few involved in this one :-)
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3862800)   #330
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

Please do, especially point them towards the people who can only support their opinions with fallacies
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:38 (Ref:3862802)   #331
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Please do, especially point them towards the people who can only support their opinions with fallacies
Thanks for volunteering :-)
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:41 (Ref:3862803)   #332
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ok, thanks for that completely irrelevant post once again. But for the sake of argument: there was no thunderstorm nor metal clubs in this scenario.
I'm not the one that brought the lightning analogy into the thread.

Quote:
It's like blaming someone for getting hit by lightning for not moving out of the way in time.
But for clarity - I was referring to the fact that people watching the Ocon / Verstappen incident unfold could see that Ocon was challenging for track position, except Verstappen decided to challenge back. So a risky situation was developing (Thunderstorm), but Verstappen chose to put himself in that risk (Lightning Strike).

Ocon may have been found responsible for the collision, and whether you agree with that or not, Verstappen could have avoided the risk. This is exactly what Hamilton was referring to when he counselled Verstappen in the cooling-down room: 'You had more to lose'.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:42 (Ref:3862804)   #333
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

But for clarity - I was referring to the fact that people watching the Ocon / Verstappen incident unfold could see that Ocon was challenging for track position, except Verstappen decided to challenge back. So a risky situation was developing (Thunderstorm), but Verstappen chose to put himself in that risk (Lightning Strike).

Ocon may have been found responsible for the collision, and whether you agree with that or not, Verstappen could have avoided the risk. This is exactly what Hamilton was referring to when he counselled Verstappen in the cooling-down room: 'You had more to lose'.
think youre fighting a losing battle with Sprinkles....don't think he understands accepting someone elses point of view...
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:44 (Ref:3862805)   #334
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
But for clarity - I was referring to the fact that people watching the Ocon / Verstappen incident unfold could see that Ocon was challenging for track position, except Verstappen decided to challenge back.
Ah but this is the part where it goes wrong, he did not actually challenge. Ocon challenged once, lost, and then challenged again from a completely unjustifiable position. Hence the steward's report, severe penalty and clarification by Charlie that nobody ever should expect a backmarker to actually fight the leader. I would also point out again that people only in hindsight would ever claim a dangerous situation was brewing. Had they not touched, nobody would have batted an eye which is my main point.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:44 (Ref:3862806)   #335
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

You're right. This has been posted in various wordings by many of us. Here begins another cycle
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:46 (Ref:3862807)   #336
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Ah but this is the part where it goes wrong, he did not actually challenge. Ocon challenged once, lost, and then challenged again from a completely unjustifiable position. I would also point out again that people only in hindsight would ever claim a dangerous situation was brewing. Had they not touched, nobody would have batted an eye which is my main point.
He didn't challenge...he challenged, lost and challenged again? So, he did challenge? Twice?

Had they not touched, it would've been through Max reading the situation and executing excellent race craft and avoiding the Ocon stupidity. Sadly, this did not happen.

Thread of the year.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:48 (Ref:3862808)   #337
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
He didn't challenge...he challenged, lost and challenged again? So, he did challenge? Twice?

Had they not touched, it would've been through Max reading the situation and executing excellent race craft and avoiding the Ocon stupidity. Sadly, this did not happen.

Thread of the year.
indeed....im not even sure Sprinkles knows the facts anymore. as entertaining as this is, im out....no point in banging your head against the wall with someone who cant accept an opposing view
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:48 (Ref:3862809)   #338
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:
Please try to read properly.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3862811)   #339
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Hamilton should have given Kimi more room here then, according to the oh so wise people here, and the man himself

https://youtu.be/_HkmYvKVx58?t=84
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3862812)   #340
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I would also point out again that people only in hindsight would ever claim a dangerous situation was brewing.
In the past, I have heard radio talk to the effect of telling a driver that the backmarkers he is about to catch up with are battling for position - I would imagine this counts as seeing a dangerous situation brewing?

Quote:
he did not actually challenge. Ocon challenged once, lost, and then challenged again from a completely unjustifiable position.
I'm sorry - this one has confused me.

He did not challenge, but did challenge twice?
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:52 (Ref:3862813)   #341
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:
In the past, I have heard radio talk to the effect of telling a driver that the backmarkers he is about to catch up with are battling for position - I would imagine this counts as seeing a dangerous situation brewing?
Yes, as does hearing someone yell out that there's supposed to be large icebergs in the area!
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:53 (Ref:3862814)   #342
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Hamilton should have given Kimi more room here then, according to the oh so wise people here, and the man himself

https://youtu.be/_HkmYvKVx58?t=84
Hamilton left a cars width, plenty of room but Kimi understeered into Lewis after locking up on cold tyres. an entirely different situation to Ocon and Max where Max didn't leave a cars width, closing the corner on a faster car on fresher tyres
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:55 (Ref:3862816)   #343
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Ah but this is the part where it goes wrong, he did not actually challenge. Ocon challenged once, lost, and then challenged again from a completely unjustifiable position. Hence the steward's report, severe penalty and clarification by Charlie that nobody ever should expect a backmarker to actually fight the leader. I would also point out again that people only in hindsight would ever claim a dangerous situation was brewing. Had they not touched, nobody would have batted an eye which is my main point.
I don't often requote myself, but for the avoidance of doubt I posted this during the race:

Quote:
That's some considerable floor damage on Max's car there.

Stupid move by Ocon, but why was Max defending so hard there?

Also - and I know you weren't in my living room at the time - when they entered the start/finish straight I said to my father-in-law and wife that "this will probably end in tears".

I could see the situation developing before it actually happened; not in hindsight, but before they got to turn 1.

I could see it.
I dare say a number of other drivers would have seen it, but I can't offer a percentage as that's a supposition rather than an assertion.

Why couldn't Max see it? Or, for that matter, Ocon?

Because they haven't yet matured into the superstar drivers they both could be. One of them is rapidly becoming the cartoon villain of F1, though
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:56 (Ref:3862817)   #344
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Yes, as does hearing someone yell out that there's supposed to be large icebergs in the area!
Glad that you have finally agreed with an alternative view - and accept that it is possible to have foresight of a dangerous (or risky) situation on a racetrack developing.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:56 (Ref:3862818)   #345
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:
I don't often requote myself, but for the avoidance of doubt I posted this during the race:
After the fact.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3862819)   #346
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:
Glad that you have finally agreed with an alternative view - and accept that it is possible to have foresight of a dangerous (or risky) situation on a racetrack developing.
It certainly is, but not in this situation. Once again I refer to both the stewards and Charlie Whiting's comments, none of which you've addressed so far.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3862821)   #347
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Thread of the year.
347 posts and 24 pages in, so far and a lot of going round in circles.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 16:01 (Ref:3862823)   #348
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It certainly is, but not in this situation. Once again I refer to both the stewards and Charlie Whiting's comments, none of which you've addressed so far.
The stewards and Charlie Whiting aren't infallible.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 16:03 (Ref:3862824)   #349
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The stewards and Charlie Whiting aren't infallible.
Indeed they're not, and neither are the denizens of this board. In this case, the stewards and Mr. Whiting have by far the most convincing case.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 16:03 (Ref:3862825)   #350
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Also - and I know you weren't in my living room at the time - when they entered the start/finish straight I said to my father-in-law and wife that "this will probably end in tears".

I could see the situation developing before it actually happened; not in hindsight, but before they got to turn 1.

I could see it.
I dare say a number of other drivers would have seen it, but I can't offer a percentage as that's a supposition rather than an assertion.

Why couldn't Max see it? Or, for that matter, Ocon?

Because they haven't yet matured into the superstar drivers they both could be. One of them is rapidly becoming the cartoon villain of F1, though
see, one of the reasons i like ocon is that he’s a properly raised and parented version of verstappen. the guy is a class act and always has been, but he’s firm on track and isn’t afraid to pull moves. he’s also not afraid *not* to. so when the other driver, be it perez or verstappen pulls their usual “everyone else should get out of my way or it’s their fault” nonsense, ocon is often the “but why?” party.

out of the two of them, ocon is the one who will mature. like hamilton did. i’m afraid from everything we’ve seen, verstappen never will. i really want him to come good, but i can’t see it happening this far into his f1 career.