Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 28 Mar 2009, 02:11 (Ref:2426569)   #101
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
I think we would all like that, but that doesn't mean it is relevant to assess the actual world on the basis of a fantasy one.
So you don't want people to state their opinions or preferences here? If somebody says that a particular driver "deserves" a seat, this statement is but an expression of their own evaluation. Have you never stated what you would like things to be or which change you hope to see?
Old 28 Mar 2009, 02:21 (Ref:2426572)   #102
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Of course, but it is arguably more of a meritocracy now that it ever has been.
Guess I'm too young to judge that. My F1 memory, especially as politics and details are concerned, doesn't go that far back.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 03:36 (Ref:2426589)   #103
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 Awesome comments by Ant there. "Boohoo" to Kubicas complaining about Lewis. And "Read the label - motorsport is dangerous".

I may have to retract my previous comments.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 03:36 (Ref:2426591)   #104
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian View Post
So you don't want people to state their opinions or preferences here? If somebody says that a particular driver "deserves" a seat, this statement is but an expression of their own evaluation. Have you never stated what you would like things to be or which change you hope to see?
Stating an opinion on what you would prefer, or would change, is not the same thing as getting into whether something is. One is a subjective thing, whereas the other is making a claim to something being absolute. Anyway, I think we are thinking of different things: you were talking about people using the term "deserves" in the subjective sense, whereas I was meaning from the POV of people using it in the absolute sense. Suffice to say, I was not at all suggesting people shouldn't express their opinions: that is the point of forums.

Regarding the topic, I am getting my first hear of the BBC commentary. It seems good to me.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 03:44 (Ref:2426593)   #105
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ant's commentary. Insightful stuff.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 04:50 (Ref:2426614)   #106
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm really enjoying the coverage, especially the high amount of viewer interaction - normally that bugs the hell out of me (maybe it's just phone ins) but it keeps conversation going, and i keep learning stuff as well. there's no pomposity, no ego battling, and nobody trying to tell me what i can see perfectly well on the screen.

i'm sure that'll all change by the end of the season, but i'm liking it so far
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:03 (Ref:2426621)   #107
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well apart from the chain the opening titles were rubbish!!
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:09 (Ref:2426622)   #108
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so what would you do instead then, o wise one?

it was good. way better than the british driver centred themed rubbish itv had.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:10 (Ref:2426623)   #109
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
yeah, they were pretty low rent. CG wise, it wasnt anything special
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:13 (Ref:2426624)   #110
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The intro was cool. No matter what pictures you use, the Chain makes it awesome. Coulthards short intro on the cars was fantastic, and even playing The Who during driving intro was fantastic.

ITV gave us stuff on Trullis vineyards and Fisichellas cooking. The BBC give us archive footage.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:18 (Ref:2426629)   #111
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
The BBC has all those years of fantastic F1 coverage packed away in a cupboard somewhere, and we get a load of CGI cars on the opening credits - what a disappointment.

I haven't watched any of the practice coverage, but based on qualifying so far, the BBC's coverage looks rather like ITV's. The broadcast comes from the pitlane where it's too loud to hear anybody speak, Steve Rider has morphed into Jake Humphrey and there are two Mark Blundells. So far it's also incredibly overblown. Just because the BBC has pretended that F1 doesn't exist since 1996 doesn't mean the rest of us have been ignoring it - they need to tone it down.

In case you can't tell, I'm a bit 'meh' about the whole thing right now. However, I would imagine that being able to watch the race tomorrow without a lot of annoying ad breaks will make me slightly more positive.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:20 (Ref:2426630)   #112
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It could have been a blank screen and the chain and i'd have loved it.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:25 (Ref:2426633)   #113
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
Coulthard throwing some tough questions right in there from the off, and EJ asking some insightful ones too.

Much better than Mark Blundells garbage.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:27 (Ref:2426635)   #114
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
The BBC has all those years of fantastic F1 coverage packed away in a cupboard somewhere, and we get a load of CGI cars on the opening credits - what a disappointment.
Graphics wise, it's nothing special - it would be fine for the opening credits for a PlayStation game, but I'll get bored of it very quickly. Musically, it's mega

PS - good morning everyone!
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:32 (Ref:2426639)   #115
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie View Post
Graphics wise, it's nothing special - it would be fine for the opening credits for a PlayStation game, but I'll get bored of it very quickly. Musically, it's mega
That makes it all the more disappointing - the music just deserves so much better!
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:33 (Ref:2426642)   #116
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
Brundle has just been seen shirtless. Something never seen on ITV. So in that respect isn't BBC already ahead of ITV?

Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:34 (Ref:2426644)   #117
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not gonna say it's perfect, but it's pretty good. It can only improve as well.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:35 (Ref:2426645)   #118
No25
Rookie

No25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I don't find Brundle getting his "man boobs" out a positive.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:36 (Ref:2426647)   #119
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Brundle could do page 3 for the Sun.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:38 (Ref:2426648)   #120
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
That's a mental picture I could have done without.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:40 (Ref:2426649)   #121
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
a spot of jealously creeping in?

First sight of Lewis 40 mins in, is a VERY good sign. Have to say, I'm VERY impressed so far (other than the titles and Jake trying to be a Mr S.Rider esq)
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:42 (Ref:2426650)   #122
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

He's certainly way ahead of what I'll be in my 40's, fitness wise. He was always kinda chubby though wasn't he?

Same as I'll always be ridiculously slim.

40 minutes in and no adverts!
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:42 (Ref:2426651)   #123
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
First sight of Lewis 40 mins in, is a VERY good sign. Have to say, I'm VERY impressed so far (other than the titles)
Indeed, the lack of Lewis fawning has been good. He deserves coverage being a Brit and world champion but ITV did take it to extremes.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:43 (Ref:2426652)   #124
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
First sight of Lewis 40 mins in, is a VERY good sign
I was just thinking the same... although JH opened the programme by asking if Hamilton would be defending his title, that's the last we heard about him - until this feature, and it's a good feature too.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:45 (Ref:2426653)   #125
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
what has been seen cannot be unseen.

i think brundle is a little out of place, but maybe that's because i personally associate him with itv. it's a nice balance between explaining stuff to new viewers and not treating the regulars like idiots.

as for suggestions they should have used old footage in the title sequence, absolutely not. this is coverage of THIS season, not a retro look at past seasons. so far they've used the old footage well to relate modern stuff to the old days without going overkill.

and i would assume they don't have the rights to show the itv years in the same way itv couldn't show old bbc footage, and let's face it, with itv in trouble they're not exactly going to relinquish the rights for peanuts.