Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Nov 2018, 08:21 (Ref:3864423)   #601
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I think it was Denis Jenkinson who coined the term Micky Mouse , and applied it to anywhere which didn't maim or kill a driver or two at a Grand Prix. Jackie's focus was on safety - so Micky Mouse Nivelles instead of Spa, Ricard instead of Clermont Ferrand - etc.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 13:58 (Ref:3864497)   #602
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it's probably called Mickey Mouse because the circuits belong at Disneyland, but I could be mistaken
Old 20 Nov 2018, 14:13 (Ref:3864500)   #603
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
(jimclark, please, I have respect for Jimmy)

I don't know the term "mixer" but from the context, 'a clue. Not so. Just opinion like everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hill 1968
I am sure that it wasn't Jimmy's fault at Hockenheim. Everyone was taking that curve fiat out, and Jimmy was the best man in the raceā€”and best in the world. He was that because he just had all the requirements; he was a natural athlete with very good muscular coordination and a very good eye. He had a springy step; he was light on his feet. He had rhythm. His judgment was excellent, and his reactions were very fast.
Emphasis added.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 15:07 (Ref:3864509)   #604
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I think it was Denis Jenkinson who coined the term Micky Mouse , and applied it to anywhere which didn't maim or kill a driver or two at a Grand Prix. Jackie's focus was on safety - so Micky Mouse Nivelles instead of Spa, Ricard instead of Clermont Ferrand - etc.
I couldn't find anything about Denis Jenkinson coining the term Micky Mouse. However, he did come up with the classification of a driver's effort into "tenths". Ten/Tenths being the highest.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 22:30 (Ref:3864612)   #605
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wasn’t Mickey Mouse circuit first used when referring to the Le Mans Bugatti circuit when used for its only F1 race in 1967?
Old 21 Nov 2018, 06:35 (Ref:3864660)   #606
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Nobody who actually knew him ever called Jim, Jimmy. Only American broadcasters and ignorant journalists used Jimmy.
"Ignorant" broadcasters? Or are they just using "Jimmy" as we (in the States, certainly I) use as a "name" of endearment?

If someone were to ask me who I thought was the best driver ever I would reply Jim Clark ('would find it real hard to use James). As I explained why, I would most certainly slip into the fond use of Jimmy.

(Richard, Richie; Samuel, Sammy; Susan, Susie; Joseph, Joey; Millicent, Millie; Francis, Fran; etc., etc.)

jimclark
Old 21 Nov 2018, 10:15 (Ref:3864696)   #607
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
"Ignorant" broadcasters? Or are they just using "Jimmy" as we (in the States, certainly I) use as a "name" of endearment?

If someone were to ask me who I thought was the best driver ever I would reply Jim Clark ('would find it real hard to use James). As I explained why, I would most certainly slip into the fond use of Jimmy.

(Richard, Richie; Samuel, Sammy; Susan, Susie; Joseph, Joey; Millicent, Millie; Francis, Fran; etc., etc.)
Fair enough, I would do the same, however some people have a thing about it, my mother for instance, and apparently Jim.
Have a friend Mike who is driven round the twist with Mick, who knows!

Why, I have no idea totally in your camp on "names of endearment".
Old 21 Nov 2018, 12:46 (Ref:3864730)   #608
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I expect any public figure can’t control what names might be used for them. Even if it is a term of endearment and with well meaning. But no doubt for the true friends they know what is allowable. For example, it is not terribly uncommon for some who I have just met to call me “Rich”, but none of my friends or people who have known me for a long time use that and I typically try to quietly correct people to let them know I prefer “Richard”

Richard
Old 21 Nov 2018, 15:36 (Ref:3864769)   #609
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My son is James. To me, he will always be James although many call him Jim or 'Jimmer'. He doesn't mind. But he'll never be a Jimmy.......
Old 21 Nov 2018, 15:47 (Ref:3864775)   #610
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My name is Peter and I don't mind whether I'm called Pete or Peter. But I do rail at being called Algernon Ftang Ftang, Bon-Bon Biscuit Barrel Smith.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 15:49 (Ref:3864777)   #611
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, but you're only slightly silly......
Old 21 Nov 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3864782)   #612
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Only slightly?

ā€˜Mickā€™ to a ā€˜Mikeā€™ is totally off limits. A well known figure in UK racing used to insist on being addressed as Christoper, never Chris, and a racing friend James cannot be addressed as Jim or Jimmy.....

Now what was the thread topic again?
Old 21 Nov 2018, 16:11 (Ref:3864783)   #613
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
How to fix someone called 'Fi', I think........
Old 21 Nov 2018, 16:44 (Ref:3864796)   #614
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
How to fix someone called 'Fi', I think........
And what better way to start with the 'Fix' than to address how drivers are referred to?

How can people be expected to embrace the sport, when they aren't sure if they are watching:

Sergio or Checo
Fernando or Fred
Sebastian or Vettee
Old 21 Nov 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3864798)   #615
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!

i'd like it more if HamSandwich caught on!
Old 21 Nov 2018, 17:51 (Ref:3864811)   #616
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Then there's that Scottish driver, Hamish Lewilton.........
Old 21 Nov 2018, 18:49 (Ref:3864820)   #617
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I like this thread,it just needs a theme song...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5aW08ivHU
Old 21 Nov 2018, 18:53 (Ref:3864822)   #618
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Then there's that Scottish driver, Hamish Lewilton.........
He is very famous.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 19:28 (Ref:3864830)   #619
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
'Has been getting the job done, no?

jimclark
Old 28 Nov 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3866634)   #620
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
some fairly strong words by Brawn about the gap between the top 3 and the rest of the field.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...eptable--brawn

"Two podiums from a total of 123 [across the two seasons] is unacceptable, especially when it comes with an ever increasing technical and financial divide

"It's a problem we are tackling together with the FIA and the teams, because the future of Formula 1 depends on it.

"There are various solutions on the table and we must all accept that we can't go on like this for too much longer."

however it remains to be seen what if anything he or FOM can or will do about this but at least they acknowledge it...which i suppose is something.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 16:24 (Ref:3866637)   #621
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
What's strong about them? He's pointing out the obvious yet offers no solution. I'm not even sure there is that big of a problem.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3866649)   #622
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
He's pointing out the obvious yet offers no solution. I'm not even sure there is that big of a problem.
As usual, my stand.
Solution? Solution for what?? The best are on top, where they should be. This is F1, not Indycar.
As usual, I don't see a problem at all. Rules set...do your best. That's always been F1.

jimclark
Old 28 Nov 2018, 18:18 (Ref:3866657)   #623
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
If Renault were anywhere near where they should be there would be no complaints anyway.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3866659)   #624
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I agree , and some of the trouble with less informed fans is that they view F1 as just another motor-based TV entertainment . Hence they make spurious comparisons with entirely different disciplines , such as NASCAR and Moto GP.

BUT ...that doesn't mean I have to accept that whatever dish F1 cooks up I will like more than its previous ones.

What is key is this , I think -

- overtaking need not be frequent , but it must happen, on track and not in the pits , nor with the intervention of artifice like DRS. One car needs , with driver skill, to be able to overtake the one it has caught. And to do so without every move then being at the risk of being protested and (for Chrissake ) 'investigated'

- penalties need to be reserved , not for mistakes , nor engine blow ups but only for cases where the motive for a move is to push the other guy off

- cars need to be spectacular enough in looks , speed , noise and body language to be a thrill to watch , and for the driver's skills to be apparent , even if a car is running by itself and not in a fight for position

- cars need to be diverse , especially in looks and noise. That points to different engines being used and more freedom being given to exploring different approaches to the same problem

- budgets become absurd when car manufacturers are involved , especially when they are teams in their own right as opposed to funders, or makers and sellers, of engines. They show no interest in the sport's long term objectives , have far too much leverage but can walk away on a whim

- F1 has proved itself incapable of showing any understanding , or interest, in what the people who ultimately pay their wages (you and me ) want. They think we think that tyre compounds are fascinating , they think we agonise about pit stop strategies and they think it isn't just them who care much about constructors. We don't , not really , we care about the drivers

I could go on ....
Old 28 Nov 2018, 19:05 (Ref:3866666)   #625
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Some good points but I wonder what the problem with DRS actually is? This year it's proven its worth, providing exactly what you say should happen. DRS makes it possible for cars to get close to attempt a pass. This was very evident in Brazil for example. DRS made the car behind get close, but he still had to do the work.

DRS is in essence nothing else than allowed active aerodynamics. The rules surrounding it could use a tweak or two but other than that I see no reason why people get their pitchforks out about it. The only reason I can think of is a vague calling it 'artificial' because it's not old school.