Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 29 Nov 2004, 19:22 (Ref:1167308)   #26
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I said before, turn off all the aids. They're supposed to make you slower.

A standard GPL upshift is 0.222 seconds, with autoshift it is 0.666 and the cars shift 2000rpm or thereabouts below the redline. You braking distances will also be considerably longer.
Turn them all off now, and drive the proper 'Grand Prix' class cars and while you'll be spinning off all over the shop to begin with its the only way to learn the sim properly.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 19:24 (Ref:1167310)   #27
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well it just goes to show how far brakes and the technology has come on 40 years later.
In a current F1 car you can brake about 50 meters from the corner their that good.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1167319)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just remember FF, the benchmark time at the Glen in a GP car is 1m06.912........

Don't lose heart though, its actually one of the easiest benchmarks to break - in any of the 7 cars.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 19:31 (Ref:1167320)   #29
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At turn one at Kyalami I can still brake right down at the foot of the slope, that's probably about 130m, from 189-192mph down to 60-something.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 19:38 (Ref:1167329)   #30
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I always get caught out at Copse corner (turn 1) at Silverstone. I always think I can brake quite late because the modern version is not much of flat out in a modern F1 car.
I just spin into a '360' then claut the bank.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 16:48 (Ref:1169112)   #31
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
by the way, I'd recommend getting GPL Replay Analyser to help you see where you're losing time against the replays already provided with the game (which are the benchmark times for GPL Rank)

get it here
Old 1 Dec 2004, 17:52 (Ref:1169170)   #32
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by luke
I always get caught out at Copse corner (turn 1) at Silverstone. I always think I can brake quite late because the modern version is not much of flat out in a modern F1 car.
I just spin into a '360' then claut the bank.
also . regroove the track . if you didn't do that already

Ciao Marco
Old 2 Dec 2004, 08:31 (Ref:1169560)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I go with both of those suggestions, but beware on the re-grooving. Unless you're on a pirenzoesque trip heading towards alien status, I personally would not re-groove using alien laps. I tend now to re-groove (rarely need to) with my own best lap or another which is just a little faster than my own.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 16:29 (Ref:1169964)   #34
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Braking in a straight line is the "correct" way to drive a racing car, of course.
Not really the quickest way to do it however.
Technically you should be aiming at decelerating all the way to the apex and then accelerating all the way to the exit, i.e. never hold a constant speed in the middle of a corner.
That's easy to do in short, fast corners, but the tighter the corner (or rather the amount of angle you must turn through) the harder it is.
To be decelerating up to the apex of a corner, invariably you must be braking round the corner.
Though it is usually more engine braking than brake braking if you see what I mean.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 13:23 (Ref:1175276)   #35
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Indeed they do.

I myself like to teeter on the very brink of adhesion.
Ah I didnt know you played as well Kicking-back...

Hows the racing going anyways FerrariFanatic

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 16:49 (Ref:1175412)   #36
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Racing is racing along rather nicely now that I am in the GP cars. I need something with more power. And a different track, might try the Ring. If I am feeling brave, or stupid. (Delete as appropriate for the last two)
Old 9 Dec 2004, 18:02 (Ref:1175483)   #37
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariFanatic
Racing is racing along rather nicely now that I am in the GP cars. I need something with more power. And a different track, might try the Ring. If I am feeling brave, or stupid. (Delete as appropriate for the last two)
Whay you need is to install VROC and race online with the rest of us!
Old 10 Dec 2004, 00:42 (Ref:1175805)   #38
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont use FF, its bs. If you want to make it feel more realistic use the increased stiffness mode thing. I use that on the advice of Justin Wilson, Anthony Davidson, Mark Taylor, Steven Kane and an old guy who has driven 60's and 70's cars. And I dont like FF anyway, it tries too hard to just throw it out of your hands instead of feeling the road.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 08:24 (Ref:1175918)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I disagree 200%.

I've tried without FF and it feels thoroughly naff and unrealistic. The big mistake people make with FF is to run with the effects cranked up way too high (which will probably break the wheel in due course anyway). Keep the affects low and once you get used to it, you'll never want to run without it.

Ultimately, it doesn't bother me what those with real experience have to sayabout it (no disrespect intended to them though). I was never a member of the "reality police".......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 10 Dec 2004 at 08:25.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 11:09 (Ref:1181750)   #40
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yup I decided to do long courses only - what are peoples best keyboard laps of the 'ring
Old 17 Dec 2004, 13:09 (Ref:1181829)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Keyboard?

That's the strange things with loads of buttons on it that gets in the way of my MOMO, isn't it?

Old 17 Dec 2004, 13:25 (Ref:1181850)   #42
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
My keyboard time is a disaster... you give yours first :P

Have you signed up at GPL rank yet?
What would be cool is if they logged the amount of laps you have done at each track!!!

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 13:46 (Ref:1181873)   #43
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ring . keyboard times .,,. 1 have a 8m22 . but record is something like 8m1x .. so decent laps can be done with the keyboard

Ciao Marco
Old 17 Dec 2004, 15:53 (Ref:1181946)   #44
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I havn't got below 10 mins yet! butthen I only started playing the game last week!
Old 17 Dec 2004, 15:57 (Ref:1181949)   #45
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Tracks I use are, Isle of Man, Dundrod, Le Mans, Avus 59, Thornham, Beale, Pau, Monaco, The ring, Spa and.... Bloodbath
Old 17 Dec 2004, 16:50 (Ref:1181981)   #46
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
you're doing ok collins ... but i sugest first play some easier tracks , ,like Silverstone or Monza

Ciao Marco
Old 17 Dec 2004, 20:37 (Ref:1182106)   #47
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
But jumping right in at the deep end won't hurt

Though learning the basics will no doubt be easier at Monza or Silverstone.
Old 18 Dec 2004, 12:24 (Ref:1182488)   #48
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Monza and Silverstone are fairly straight forward.
Spa and Zandvoort are by far my favourite tracks.

Can I ask one question. On the original game, there's Rouen instead of Le Mans, why is that?

Last edited by luke; 18 Dec 2004 at 12:25. Reason: Typo!
Old 18 Dec 2004, 12:53 (Ref:1182520)   #49
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Because Le Mans is boring. Really, that's the reason.
Old 18 Dec 2004, 13:00 (Ref:1182527)   #50
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
They included Rouen instead of the Bugatti because it was only ever used for a GP in that one year - 1967 - all the drivers hated it - hence the inclusion of the much nicer Rouen. Now, if the 1967 F1 guys had been able to race on the full circuit..........

Last edited by Aysedasi; 18 Dec 2004 at 13:01.