Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Sep 2010, 09:51 (Ref:2763916)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Toyota to V8Supercar in 2012" - James Phelps

Story Here

More to the Story Here

True/not true?

The piece not sitting well with me is the notion that Toyota is withdrawing from title sponsorship of the AFL..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Sep 2010, 10:31 (Ref:2763935)   #2
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Story Here

More to the Story Here

True/not true?

The piece not sitting well with me is the notion that Toyota is withdrawing from title sponsorship of the AFL..
Sorry but am I going blind? No where does James Phelps say "Toyota to V8Supercar in 2012".

Last edited by billy bigtime; 24 Sep 2010 at 10:47.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 12:20 (Ref:2763974)   #3
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Toyota withdrawing from AFL sponsorship ?
Best news ever, why on earth would any company want to be asscociated with the most ridiculous game ever invented by a bunch of schoolkids in their lunch hour where they all run around crouched over chasing a silly ball which bounces in any direction. Let's not mention those dopey looking guys behind the goalposts and the equally silly guys throwing balls backwards into the field of play ??? Seriously, how can this be called sport ??? Hey fellas, I caught it on the full so you meanies can't touch me till I punt the ball. Male version of netball without the skirts (only just).
Old 24 Sep 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2764001)   #4
Falcon GT
Rookie

Falcon GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watch 888 dump Holden if Toyota joins the circus
Old 24 Sep 2010, 17:41 (Ref:2764107)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
Best news ever, why on earth would any company want to be asscociated with the most ridiculous game ever invented by a bunch of schoolkids in their lunch hour where they all run around crouched over chasing a silly ball which bounces in any direction. Let's not mention those dopey looking guys behind the goalposts and the equally silly guys throwing balls backwards into the field of play ??? Seriously, how can this be called sport ??? Hey fellas, I caught it on the full so you meanies can't touch me till I punt the ball. Male version of netball without the skirts (only just).
There is so much thuggery, raping and shooting drugs going on in the AFL, I can't understand why any major sponsor would be involved with them.

No surprise when Toyota comes to V8SC. It is time.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 22:17 (Ref:2764213)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
what AFL are you talking about mountainstar?

now if you were talking about the NRL i could understand
Old 24 Sep 2010, 23:35 (Ref:2764230)   #7
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Must be the same consumers that watch TV.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 00:52 (Ref:2764237)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
what AFL are you talking about mountainstar?

now if you were talking about the NRL i could understand
Ben Cousins, Akermanis, Wayne Carey, Brendon Fevola, etc. etc. etc.

As a major sponsor do you want to see the sport you are sponsoring constantly in the newspapers with all sorts of naughty drama going on? NRL isn't any better.

For the most part V8SC keeps their nose clean and if there is any sex orgies and coke snorting going on, they keep it quiet.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 03:01 (Ref:2764247)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime View Post
Sorry but am I going blind? No where does James Phelps say "Toyota to V8Supercar in 2012".
One article talks to the expiry of the Toyota sponsorship of the AFL, then the next talks to the probability that Toyota wants to join V8Supercar

There is an article in the Daily Telegraph that actually welds each of these articles (both written by Mr Phelps) together, to make the statement above
Old 25 Sep 2010, 04:01 (Ref:2764255)   #10
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon GT View Post
Watch 888 dump Holden if Toyota joins the circus
Why? Part of the reason they moved in the first place was because there other categories use GM cars.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 05:18 (Ref:2764271)   #11
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i stopped reading at "James Phelps"...
Old 25 Sep 2010, 05:52 (Ref:2764276)   #12
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Me too. Can't take that guy seriously at all.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 06:35 (Ref:2764285)   #13
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
Love ya work. The afl/g@yfl/aerial ping pong/cross county basket ball
obsession in Vic is a mystery to me. Its not like Melbourne/Victoria
doesn't have alternatives. Back on thread Medicority motors getting into V8 Supercars is a logical step. The're into NASCAR, ( quite possibly the only camry's EVER to have had the accelerator floored) and V8's are going/are the NASCAR route.

At least our doors still open and the lights are real. I have no issue with
them getting involved. I assume they would be trying to lower the age
of the camry demographic.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 06:37 (Ref:2764286)   #14
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neil Crompton who has a working relationship with Toyota has often stated that he doesn't believe that Toyota have any interest in the V8 series and he would have a better knowledge than most.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 06:51 (Ref:2764289)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Got it in one.

The Toyota story gets a run each year around Bathurst time regardless how much truth there is in the story. The only difference in 2010 is that Phelps is pushing the story on behalf of V8SA.

Regarding Toyota and its sponsorship of the AFL - mountainstar & backagain it fairly obvious why Toyota and many other companies continue to fall over themselves to get involved with the sport.

It it the most popular sport in Australia by a good margin. Especially when compared to V8SA

Despite the obvious troubles the code has had in 2010 - the positives more than outweigh the negatives in being aligned with the AFL.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 08:39 (Ref:2764305)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
But they get 2 grand finals to advertise their Corolla/Yaris/Aurion thingumies... do you think that there could be 2 Bathursts again?
Old 26 Sep 2010, 09:24 (Ref:2764618)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
about 1 in every 4 Australians watched the AFL grand final telecast, would have thought that was great opportunity to flog your product
Old 27 Sep 2010, 07:12 (Ref:2765273)   #18
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what would be better peckstar ? Having your logo painted on grass at the AFL grand final, or having your "product" win the Bathurst 1000 ?

Ok I know "product" is loosely termed on us hard cores, but to the average casual spectator (generally only those that watch bathurst because it is bathurst) the "Camry" could be a real "camry" not a frame with a RWD ford diff, a hollinger gearbox etc etc...
Old 27 Sep 2010, 09:21 (Ref:2765333)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
i would think having it painted on the grass in front of 5 million people would be better than watching your product lose at bathurst
Old 27 Sep 2010, 10:03 (Ref:2765355)   #20
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOLF! WOLF! WOLF! WOLF!

Excatly how many times can you write the same story, and it not come true, before people stop listening?

What did we learn from the previous dozen times that "<INSERT MANUFACTURER HERE> was going to join V8 Supercars" appeared in the news?
Old 27 Sep 2010, 15:10 (Ref:2765559)   #21
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
i would think having it painted on the grass in front of 5 million people would be better than watching your product lose at bathurst
And having your product being advertised on FTA TV 3 times as much per year as AFL does compared to V8's helps. Heck Toyota get as much exposure on Pay TV sponsoring the Under 20 NRL competition as they do in motorsport.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 02:08 (Ref:2765834)   #22
redesp
Racer

Australia
Melbourne Australia...
redesp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Obviously the thought of watching one bloke shove two blokes up the a$$hole of three blokes in a scrum is more stimulating to you than our little game of AUSSIE rules...
remember that in AFL crowds of 20,000 are considered very ordinary.. yet in "thugby" 20,000 is considered HUGE... almost at A leauge level.. WOO HOO..
only 100,016 people at our grand final ... both of them!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
There is so much thuggery, raping and shooting drugs going on in the AFL, I can't understand why any major sponsor would be involved with them.

No surprise when Toyota comes to V8SC. It is time.

And what's your sport of choice Mr Alabama.. Steers or queers??? ....or was that montana?? either way.. time to break out the banjo!

Only Milk and Juice should come in 2 litres... ;)
Old 28 Sep 2010, 02:31 (Ref:2765838)   #23
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood-duck View Post
what would be better peckstar ? Having your logo painted on grass at the AFL grand final, or having your "product" win the Bathurst 1000?
As has been mentioned - sponsoring the AFL premiership provides more value than winning the Bathurst 1000 in a Toyota.

No contest.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 03:21 (Ref:2765844)   #24
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by redesp View Post

And what's your sport of choice Mr Alabama.. Steers or queers??? ....or was that montana?? either way.. time to break out the banjo!
I think the only place you'll find dueling banjos these days is in rural Australia.

Obviously you've never been to Bama. The women are hot, there's good car racin' and the BBQ is tasty.

But seriously, with the COTF, I think it's time for Toyota to take on V8SC and I can't see the point in remaining with the AFL anymore.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 09:04 (Ref:2765914)   #25
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
As has been mentioned - sponsoring the AFL premiership provides more value than winning the Bathurst 1000 in a Toyota.

No contest.
I disagree.........I don't know one person that would be influenced to buy a Toyota because they sponsor the AFL.........a waste of money on Toyota's part as far as I can see.