Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 26 Mar 2020, 20:11 (Ref:3967066)   #1026
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was talking to my neighbour across the road (literally, he lives across the road and we stood on out own side of it) this afternoon and he mentioned that on his way to work (He's a butcher running his own business) he came across a police check point that seemed to be querying the purpose of people's journeys. Driving a refrigerated van he was just waved through. However one does wonder what might happen in the next few weeks.

I'm surprised the police have the resources to run such checks.

His daughter's boyfriend is a Policeman he said.

Earlier this week he and other police were sent or a large recreational park area in a local city where the "self-isolating" populace were meeting up and partying. (Sort of).

The police were there to try to point out the error of idea and convince the people to make better decisions. I got the idea that the intention was as much to learn how the party people might respond to such an approach as it was to try to break up the "fun".

Apparently someone took exception to such advice and hit him in the face, breaking his spectacles.

There should really be a special place for such people given such clear evidence of a complete lack of brain activity.

But instead of that we release them from prison sentences lest they catch some illness on the basis of which their family sues for way more money than the sick person was ever worth to the society that supports them.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 22:54 (Ref:3967087)   #1027
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
That's not very nice!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
s'alrightMax - it's just friendly banter.
If you spoke colloquial French like me you'd know that. Only kidding, isn't google wonderful
Old 27 Mar 2020, 06:38 (Ref:3967122)   #1028
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Ya no Max, Dave, he speaks french but with a tough parisian accent. Snobby!
I dont know if we can enter a car with "Biloute Dave" for driver… Must check!
Old 27 Mar 2020, 08:23 (Ref:3967127)   #1029
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been with MGD in France. He speaks the language like a native. A native of Berkshire

"No need to speak the lingo old boy, they all speak better English than you and I."

Sadly that's actually true. I first visited France in 1976, an exchange stay in Amiens, and i spoke 100% French. Since then every time I go back even in the most rural communities people quite happily lapse into English so I don't get to practice my rusty ramblings.

Last edited by midgetman; 27 Mar 2020 at 08:31.
Old 27 Mar 2020, 08:44 (Ref:3967129)   #1030
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I've been with MGD in France. He speaks the language like a native. A native of Berkshire

"No need to speak the lingo old boy, they all speak better English than you and I."

Sadly that's actually true. I first visited France in 1976, an exchange stay in Amiens, and i spoke 100% French. Since then every time I go back even in the most rural communities people quite happily lapse into English so I don't get to practice my rusty ramblings.

Yes, that's very true. Despite official efforts to stop it, more & more English is creeping in. Watching TV, it is surprising how many adverts are in English. We were in a very French restaurant by the big French war cemetery at Notre Dame, and the waitress on over-hearing I was English automatically translated everything on the menu to me without being asked.

Much of it is down to computers, as much of the 'language' by way of commands etc is in English. My partners son has learned very good English simply by being an ardent on-line gamer.

Whatever they say, we are taking over the world!
Old 27 Mar 2020, 08:57 (Ref:3967133)   #1031
Kylegibson
Rookie

England
God's County
Kylegibson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found this while tidying up
Attached Thumbnails
Oulton Park.jpg  
Old 27 Mar 2020, 09:01 (Ref:3967136)   #1032
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Brilliant.
Old 27 Mar 2020, 09:02 (Ref:3967137)   #1033
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Two different meanings tho… Wouldn't dare say bad things about my -may be- future co-driver!
Well, now Michele's told me one meaning of 'bijoute' but she says she doesn't know a second.... She says it is a very friendly term but advised me not to use it if I get stopped by a gendarme when I go out! Actually the English equivalent is also a friendly term.

Are you fluent in Ch'ti, Gerard?
Old 27 Mar 2020, 09:16 (Ref:3967143)   #1034
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylegibson View Post
Found this while tidying up
Good old Brockbank!
Old 27 Mar 2020, 09:21 (Ref:3967145)   #1035
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Unfortunately not fluent in this very colored language, nice patois I'd say John. To go with you, MGD and Max, biloute has always been a nice word. To a stranger, biloute meant little something but quickly became a friendly word meaning you belong the appreciated people. Being a biloute is a must if you visit North of France! Quite different from "filoute" this one meaning little crook!
Old 27 Mar 2020, 09:31 (Ref:3967149)   #1036
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Unfortunately not fluent in this very colored language, nice patois I'd say John. To go with you, MGD and Max, biloute has always been a nice word. To a stranger, biloute meant little something but quickly became a friendly word meaning you belong the appreciated people. Being a biloute is a must if you visit North of France! Quite different from "filoute" this one meaning little crook!
I'd never heard it so far as I am aware, but now it's been explained (!) it is basically the same as the English " 'allo me old cock, how are yer?

Perhaps there is an opening for a new restaurant chain in London called 'Biloute' to rival 'Zizzy's', only selling ch'ti food - and beer of course!
Old 27 Mar 2020, 09:36 (Ref:3967152)   #1037
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Perhaps there is an opening for a new restaurant chain in London called 'Biloute' to rival 'Zizzy's', only selling ch'ti food - and beer of course!
No kidding! Great, would like to go! Ever watch the movie "Bienvenue chez les Ch'tits", biloute John?
Old 27 Mar 2020, 09:42 (Ref:3967155)   #1038
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
I nought the CD a year or two ago but haven't watched it yet. I really should.
Old 27 Mar 2020, 09:57 (Ref:3967161)   #1039
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
A real turnip IMO, but worth watching now you've to stay at home. It shows how people of our area are, straight forward and square. What not to love?
Old 27 Mar 2020, 10:15 (Ref:3967165)   #1040
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
A real turnip IMO, but worth watching now you've to stay at home. It shows how people of our area are, straight forward and square. What not to love?
I agree very much with your second sentence. They are lovely people, very warm, very welcoming, even to a Brit.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 08:21 (Ref:3967303)   #1041
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Up at 5 am, into Tesco at 6 am, had to Que to get in.Did all the shopping for the old biddies in village,Had to Que over 30 min to get out. Whilst waiting could not help to think "all I want to do is go motor racing ". Hope everyone on here is OK.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 08:36 (Ref:3967304)   #1042
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well done Iain. Yes first big weekend of the season and we are all sitting at home. We are pretty lucky here though. Surrounded by countryside so not hard to social distance when out walking or biking. Sadly yesterday I had to put the battery manager on the MG because that's going nowhere in the near future.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 08:44 (Ref:3967306)   #1043
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Up at 5 am, into Tesco at 6 am, had to Que to get in.Did all the shopping for the old biddies in village,Had to Que over 30 min to get out. Whilst waiting could not help to think "all I want to do is go motor racing ". Hope everyone on here is OK.
If it helps, we have got two days of "live" streaming from Goodwood on t'net, a compilation of stuff from previous MM's. Might even get to see & hear Henry H-F again.
Old 29 Mar 2020, 18:37 (Ref:3967585)   #1044
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just watched “Escape to Victory”. My son not seen it .An inspiration in these times .
Old 29 Mar 2020, 18:47 (Ref:3967587)   #1045
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The late Bobby Moore starred IIRC.
Old 29 Mar 2020, 19:16 (Ref:3967588)   #1046
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Just watched “Escape to Victory”. My son not seen it .An inspiration in these times .
Just looked to see if there is anything to watch on Netflix - I see there is a series called........Pandemic...... :-0 ......er, no!
Old 29 Mar 2020, 20:35 (Ref:3967594)   #1047
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
I enjoyed a weekend of old Goodwood's, some of which I had seen before, some not. It seemed to be just as cold in the old days as this weekend!

Nice to see a lot of HH-F.
Old 29 Mar 2020, 20:42 (Ref:3967595)   #1048
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Here's some footage of the 73rd Members meeting that I filmed, at least it will waste a bit of time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23Kp2WOb_A
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Mar 2020, 21:59 (Ref:3967604)   #1049
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Just watched the Motor Sport Day video . Lovely Gordon . Thank you .
Old 30 Mar 2020, 10:10 (Ref:3967650)   #1050
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Gordon, excellent editing skills - you certainly captured at lot of the party spirit from "over the road" as well as some pretty impressive track action shots.
Closed Thread