Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 30 Mar 2009, 00:40 (Ref:2428560)   #1
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Irish Formula Vee - Very Close Racing (check the pic)

Yesterday, at Kirkistown, saw probably the best Vee race in a long long time. Racing was very close with the top 3 being separated by just 0.08s at the line (I think the top 5 all crossed the line within 1s of eachother). Racing was very tough but clean. Trevor Delaney, Stephen Kershaw, Brian Kelly and David O Brien all led at different stages. Robbie Allen had a great race from the back of the grid to finish 5th.

The final result was as follows:
1. Dave O Brien
2. Stephen Kershaw
3. Brian Kelly
4. Trevor Delaney
5. Robbie Allen
6. Dan Polley

O Brien took the lead on the very last corner from Kershaw who had led for the previous 4 laps.

I had the following photo on my camera and thought I'd post it to show just how close the racing was. You can see Trevor Delaney (66), Brian Kelly (the red car) and Robbie Allen (the green car). What you will struggle to see is that David O Brien is between Delaney and Kelly. You will also struggle to see Kershaw right behind Kelly. If you don't believe me, check out the number of wheels and roll hoops. It was this close all race.

Old 30 Mar 2009, 00:46 (Ref:2428565)   #2
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Vee race was undoubtedly the most entertaining race of the day, and one of the best races that I've seen in quite a while. I was on post at Debtors, and the cars were wheel-to-wheel past me, lap after lap. As you already pointed out, the racing was very clean with no incidents to speak of. Hats off to all involved.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2428758)   #3
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still say they should only race on Wednesdays
Old 30 Mar 2009, 13:14 (Ref:2428982)   #4
Jennifer_ni
Clears incidents with the POWER OF HER MIND!
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best race i have seen for a long long time! I was marshaling on colonial and was convinced every lap that it was all going to end in tears. Full credit to all the guys for such a clean race.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 14:29 (Ref:2429030)   #5
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne View Post
I still say they should only race on Wednesdays
And even on Wednesdays.... they'd provide more racing than most of the other classes!!
Old 31 Mar 2009, 09:43 (Ref:2429629)   #6
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8rirl View Post
And even on Wednesdays.... they'd provide more racing than most of the other classes!!
Touché mon ami!

You out this year?
Old 31 Mar 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2429657)   #7
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
The simple answer is "not at the moment". The car wasn't going to be ready for the first race for a few reasons, so I got the hump with it... then got it all together in the last week...

But after all that and still having the hump, I gave it to Stephen Kershaw (who had a prob with his new car in testing) to race for the first couple of races. With the results he's getting, I'm reluctant to take it back.

So from the next round I'm going to test his new car to get it on the pace... and then probably do some races in it! Maybe starting with the Mondello round before Angelsey. Altho we do have someone that wants to hire it from that race onwards.... so time will tell!

And having said all of that... if there are any old model Leastones out there looking to be offloaded... I'm in the market!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 11:40 (Ref:2431292)   #8
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
The simple answer is "not at the moment". The car wasn't going to be ready for the first race for a few reasons, so I got the hump with it... then got it all together in the last week...

But after all that and still having the hump, I gave it to Stephen Kershaw (who had a prob with his new car in testing) to race for the first couple of races. With the results he's getting, I'm reluctant to take it back.

So from the next round I'm going to test his new car to get it on the pace... and then probably do some races in it! Maybe starting with the Mondello round before Angelsey. Altho we do have someone that wants to hire it from that race onwards.... so time will tell!

And having said all of that... if there are any old model Leastones out there looking to be offloaded... I'm in the market!
Looks like you have an awful lot of options there!

Makes me tired just reading it

What kind of grid numbers are the Vees getting so far this year?

Our first outing is April 12th and so far we only have 4/5 entries
Old 2 Apr 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2431330)   #9
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
The grids have been pretty small (for Vee's). I think it was 24 for the first round at Mondello and only 19 (or 20) for the second round at Kirky.

Hopefully it'll pick up a bit for the next round. I know of a few cars that weren't ready for the first round and numbers at Kirky are always a bit lower than Mondello.

I can see Libre numbers being small this year!! Maybe they'll be looking for Vee's and Sheane Rovers too!!!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2431353)   #10
Peter Dunne
Veteran

What worries me most is that with all this recession carry on, entire meetings are in doubt as happened in Mondello at the weekend
Old 2 Apr 2009, 13:03 (Ref:2431359)   #11
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Maybe time for a consolidation of classes and an effort by the organising clubs to have one race for each class on each race card ie cut down the number of meetings by allowing each class to race on the same day. If classes such as Uno/(older) Punto can't get a decent grid, then merge it with Punto Abarth. Same for Sheane Rover and Libre or Sheane Rover and FF1600 or Libre and FF1600 (not singling any of them out but you get the idea).

It might sound controversial but I watched the start of the last "race" at Kirky last weekend and there were only 3 starters.... and that was down to 2 after the first lap...

It might also be time for Mondello/Kirky (or whoever) to start looking at grid numbers and charge accordingly... why should a full grid of Vee's be charged the same price for the same amount of track time as a class that can only put 5 or 6 cars on a grid?

Also time to realise that the Park will be a non-runner!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 13:20 (Ref:2431372)   #12
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe time for a consolidation of classes and an effort by the organising clubs to have one race for each class on each race card ie cut down the number of meetings by allowing each class to race on the same day. If classes such as Uno/(older) Punto can't get a decent grid, then merge it with Punto Abarth. Same for Sheane Rover and Libre or Sheane Rover and FF1600 or Libre and FF1600 (not singling any of them out but you get the idea).
Agreed. I know some people love the idea of two races in one day, but I have to say, that in a country where motorsport is a minority sport, it never made sense to me as to why the "show" was watered down by only having half the classes racing on any given weekend. And as you say, amalgamate some classes that have similarities.

Quote:
It might also be time for Mondello/Kirky (or whoever) to start looking at grid numbers and charge accordingly... why should a full grid of Vee's be charged the same price for the same amount of track time as a class that can only put 5 or 6 cars on a grid?
I have an interesting e mail from John Morris that outlines all the costs incurred by Mondello when running a meeting. I don't want to post it here, but if you haven't seen it, I can e mail it to you.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2431393)   #13
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
I'll PM you my email address and you can forward it.

Also just want to point out that I'm not having a go at any class or any organiser. Just suggesting that its time everyone has a look at ways to reduce the costs and increase the value for both the organiser and drivers.

I was looking over an old thread that I started (Dec 2006) about the promotion of Formula Vee and it seems that grids have reduced to where I said they might... if only I could have predicted the same about stocks and shares at the same time.... I'd be sponsoring Vee's now with free racing!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 13:47 (Ref:2431408)   #14
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
I'll PM you my email address and you can forward it.
Done!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 17:19 (Ref:2431614)   #15
SCOBER11
Racer

SCOBER11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fords hope to have 14 cars for next round in Mondello. We have also started with 3 single rounds at Mondello this year rather than DH because it was felt that we have to be seen there on more weekends and also the cost of a Dh on a clubmans budget is just to big.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 17:56 (Ref:2431652)   #16
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOBER11 View Post
Fords hope to have 14 cars for next round in Mondello. We have also started with 3 single rounds at Mondello this year rather than DH because it was felt that we have to be seen there on more weekends and also the cost of a Dh on a clubmans budget is just to big.
If the DH above refers to double headers, I'm curious to see how double headers are more expensive than two single headers?

Double Header costs would be as follows: €605
1x days test = €230
1x DH Entry = €375

2x Single Headers: € 870 (over 40% more expensive)
2x days test = €460
2x Entry = €410

That doesn't include extra tyre wear due to extra day of testing and the extra qualifying session. Neither does it include extra fuel required, overnight stay (if required) or professional fees (for people not running themselves).

I'm not trying to sort out Fords or anyother class (as this was a thread about how close the Vee racing was at Kirky last weekend) but running a double header is cheaper than two single headers... the only problem being if you have an issue in the first race that stops you from getting out for the second race!

Just looking back over what I've written... perhaps more double headers would be better for classes... cuts down costs and also weekends needed at the track... altho we all go racing because we like being at the track!

10 championship rounds as 5 double headers: €3025
10 championship rounds as 10 single rounds: €8700

Do feel free to pick holes in all of that!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 18:40 (Ref:2431695)   #17
SCOBER11
Racer

SCOBER11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its for the ordinary clubman who felt that the DH was too much out of one weeks wage packet. Also it was to get us out at Mondello more often for the paying public to see our class, i think we were only in Mondello three times last year.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 22:45 (Ref:2431909)   #18
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
I don't think any one of us in Vee's could ever be accused of being anything more than a clubman? And sorry to anyone in Vee's that might feel offended by this.

As regards paying public... most people that attend meetings come thru the gates on competitor passes. I'm not sure what the figures are at the gate but I bet John Morris would tell you that they aren't great!

The two events that get the best public support are the Leinster Trophy and The Park. Sponsors will tell you that these two events are the ones where they want your car going well and a presence in the paddock.

So maybe if there were fewer events at a much lower overall cost to competitors, and therefore a lower cost to the organisers, then more publicity could be done for the events. Basically, pick a few events and do them very well... instead of trying to do too much and not getting as good a job done!
Old 3 Apr 2009, 08:16 (Ref:2432100)   #19
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOBER11 View Post
Also it was to get us out at Mondello more often for the paying public to see our class, i think we were only in Mondello three times last year.
You may have something here. When I were a lad I used to go to Mondello with my Dad, mainly to see my favorite classes racing: FF, FF2000 and GT's.

I know that these days, people are not exactly queuing for miles to get into the circuit, but maybe it doesn't help when they arrive to find that the classes they prefer are not out?
Maybe we need to look at a return to the old system of everyone out once(ish) a month?

From my point of view, Libre is only out four times in Mondello this year. This will no doubt have a catastrophic effect on gate receipts
Old 4 Apr 2009, 11:15 (Ref:2433100)   #20
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne View Post
...I know that these days, people are not exactly queuing for miles to get into the circuit...
People were queuing to leave the circuit at Kirkistown last week It's disappointing that so many people won't stay around and see out an event; I know that quite a few competitors have a long journey home ahead of them, and they have transporters and/or trailers with them so they want to beat the traffic, etc, etc, but in a lot of cases they don't know what they're missing. Competitors aside, the supporters have no excuse for hitting the road early!

Speaking of Kirkistown, Richard Young has written a good article in this week's Autosport magazine (page 105) about last Saturday's racing, in which he described the Formula Vee race as being one of the highlights of the meeting.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 00:47 (Ref:2435594)   #21
beekay
Rookie

beekay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jaysus, thats a great pic AV8rirl...must have been some pro that took that
Old 7 Apr 2009, 10:24 (Ref:2435810)   #22
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
No Beekay... it was an amateur using my pro camera!!