Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Closed Thread

Old 16 May 2002, 10:28 (Ref:287908)   #26
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You may have noticed that on several occasions lately I've publicly asked people to moderate their behaviour. I do this if I feel that one person has overstepped the mark and that the lesson could be beneficial to others. However, if the behavious is more serious, and not (as it usually is) someone overstepping the mark in the heat of the moment and out of character, then we prefer to do it in private. No-one likes to be "told off" where everyone can see it - we prefer to keep people's dignity and privacy wherever possible and to keep debates about one person's behaviour out of the public forums. The last thing we want is for someone to be warned publicly, and every other member of the forum screaming the place down with either "No, you're wrong" or, worse still, "Yeah, Ive always hated xxxxxx, get rid of him/her now!"
Old 16 May 2002, 10:29 (Ref:287910)   #27
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No we're not. Everyone read the rules when they entered and it's between the moderators. All we should know is that the Doc was banned. Simple as that.

If he fails to responds to requests to kerb whatever he was doing wrong, then the punishment fits the crime.
Old 16 May 2002, 11:10 (Ref:287941)   #28
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just feel the need to express my regrets to see this happened.
Old 16 May 2002, 19:10 (Ref:288276)   #29
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno. I just get the impression sometimes that there is very much a "them" and "us" mentality begging to brew. I'm sure that the Doc was being out of line and this ban is probably justified. But then I didn't see any evidence of it. He was always very civil towards me, even though I completely disagreed with almost everything that came out of his (metaphorical) mouth. We should be able to judge things for ourselves. But then this forum is not a democratic society and it doesn't pretend to be.

ljakse: LOVE the sig!!
Old 16 May 2002, 21:33 (Ref:288382)   #30
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of the ground on this issue have been covered by other moderators, but let me say this.

We pulled several posts from the "Proposed letter to Bernie" thread the other night - not only posts by Dr. Austin, but also posts by other users, including moderators, because a discussion which was irrelevant to the subject was started on the thread (subject being to offer suggestions regarding the contents of the letter and adding signatures to it). I stated that the thread would be closed once the deadline of submitting signatures at 5 pm Eastern Daylight Time that day had passed, therefore a discussion regarding the ins and outs of Ferrari's actions on Sunday in that particular thread was pointless, as the closing of the thread would stop that discussion anyway. I therefore encouraged users to post in any of the plenty of other threads where the exact same points could be - and were - raised. That's all there is to that. I brought this up now because someone suggested that Dr. Austin was banned for hijacking threads. Well. He wasn't.

As stated by other moderators, the reasons why Dr. Austin was banned is to be found in our "Pulled Posts" forum, which is only viewable to staff members, and in the PMs which some of us have received. The posts which remain in our public forums do not contain any banning offenses. In the end, what it boils down to, is that you just have to take our word for it. As Tim put it, we will not wash our dirty laundry in public, especially as that would not be fair to the banned party who is not around to defend himself.
Old 16 May 2002, 22:35 (Ref:288436)   #31
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A very quick mention to ALL the moderators who put their free time into keeping this place civil. l, too am fond of this place, and appreciate the time that you all spend and have complete confidence in the various statements that you all take a situation like this with much consideration and deliberation.
Old 16 May 2002, 23:22 (Ref:288460)   #32
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I feel necessary to add my views on this subject. I think when another poster was banned recently, requests for information on his banning were also denied because admin felt that this poster still had the rights to his privacy on this matter. I support this wholeheartedly.
I have, recently posted stuff in absolute anger after the Austrian debacle, and thankfully one of the moderators pulled the post, although several others were left in the forum, to my subsequent embarrasment. Those posts of mine, and that sort of behaviour was totally what I stand against in this forum, and I take this opportunity to apologise to one and all here unreservedly.
I also support the manner that admin try to deal with the individual privately. This leaves the offending person with the dignity to atone or apologise for his stupidity in private. Yeah!! I've done that too.
There is only one particular type of banning which I urge the moderators to publicise, and that is the banning of intruders who come into the forum to make trouble and post obscene threads and insults to everyone else. Dooly Tilly was one, although there were several others, and I hope that under these circumstances, the admin will advise everyone why this type of intruder is kicked out.
And now regarding my friend Austin, may I offer the view that historically, Austin has been treated very leniently by moderators, and that is all I am going to say on this matter. Some of us know Austin better than others.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 17 May 2002, 08:50 (Ref:288674)   #33
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that privacy is important, and that the mods are not going to tell us because it will provoke more debate. The thing is, not telling people is just going to cause more distrust and bad feeling around here.
Old 17 May 2002, 10:14 (Ref:288733)   #34
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is only true if you are predisposed to distrust and bad feeling. This is a place for enthusiasts to enjoy their interests with like minded individuals from where-ever. This is not life and death, but a mere diversion, treat it as such and everything is much more enjoyable.
Old 17 May 2002, 11:44 (Ref:288808)   #35
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Double Standards

Why was a poster named Budmakesmewiser allowed to attack a forum member (who went on to become a mod) here, he was never reprimanded until he trolled the F1 board.

And another member Dr. Austin is 'Chopped' without any warning or leniency ?
Old 17 May 2002, 12:01 (Ref:288823)   #36
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As it has been said before, the decision to ban someone is not taken lightly, and is the last resort if people will not comply with the rules.

There is plenty of warning and discussion between the moderators and the person in question before they are banned (unless they are obviously a "troll" out to spam or cause trouble etc)
Old 17 May 2002, 14:42 (Ref:288956)   #37
The Beer Baron
Veteran

If the topic of Dr Austin was discussed at lengths between you mods, why didn't one of you have the guts to write to him, to warn him of his beheviour or 'sin-bin' him for a while?

You guys pulled the plug, or rather a select few demanded he be banned?
Old 17 May 2002, 15:00 (Ref:288965)   #38
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
*yawn* Of course we did. And if you put more coat hangers around your bedroom you'll stop the voices keeping you up at night.

I have to laugh at this "conspiracy theory" with the implication the doc was plotted against. Give me a break.

Note to other mods : Where are these 'plugs' we can pull?
Old 17 May 2002, 15:50 (Ref:289001)   #39
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Thats not what Dr Austin says,

no one ever wrote to him about his beheviour!
Old 17 May 2002, 16:35 (Ref:289026)   #40
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He was chided, admonished, begged and eventually warned.
Old 17 May 2002, 16:41 (Ref:289028)   #41
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Beer Baron
Thats not what Dr Austin says,
Well he would say that, wouldn't he ?

Folks, I think we need to draw a line here. The rules are set in stone and published on-line for everyone to adhere to; as they agreed to when they registered. Dr Austin broke those rules and the decision was taken to remove his posting privaleges forthwith in conjuction with the process detailed in the FAQ.

We value all of our members privacy - even members who have lost their posting rights) and will do everything we can to protect that privacy, even if this leaves some people believing we are the ones not adhereing to the stated process.

However the situation is this - Dr Austin has been banned - and this will not change no matter how this might be viewed by those who do not have access to read his deleted messages and/or email communication with staff members. I am sorry if this is hard to swallow for some of you, but this is a fact - this is not going to change.
Old 17 May 2002, 16:51 (Ref:289034)   #42
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think discussion is winding down, but I'll just add that there was not one voice of dissension among the staff when we were debating the member's future at Ten-Tenths. The decision was unanimous -- something rare in these types of discussions!. If you have any questions about who the staff are, where we are, or how to reach us, there's a little link at the top of each page called 'Staff Link'.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 May 2002, 19:00 (Ref:289090)   #43
The Beer Baron
Veteran

While you were busy with the ban button, why did someone include Dr. Austin in the petition, a petition which he did not want to sign?

Idiots!
Old 17 May 2002, 22:45 (Ref:289168)   #44
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing

Quote:
Originally posted by The Beer Baron
While you were busy with the ban button, why did someone include Dr. Austin in the petition, a petition which he did not want to sign?

Idiots!
Now I wonder who that might be? Maybe his predecessor, Brammer, might have had something to do with that? Who knows?

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]

P.S. I just want to re-iterate my total support to the mods on this specific case.
Old 17 May 2002, 23:02 (Ref:289174)   #45
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the record, the former member 'Dr. Austin' was never included in the petition. Merely making a post in the 'letter to Bernie' thread was not enough to be included in the petition. Unless you provided your verifiable name and location, Liz did not include your info in the petition.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 18 May 2002, 02:19 (Ref:289236)   #46
The Beer Baron
Veteran

I whole-heartedly apologize,

Austin made a mistake and sent me the wrong info, he realises he wasnt included in that petition. I acted too quickly

To all mods I apologize, running the forum is hard enough.
Old 18 May 2002, 07:46 (Ref:289333)   #47
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apology accepted from this moderator with glad heart.

Y'know, I wish the Doc had felt able to devote more of his time here to Porsche and modelmaking threads. I'm really going to miss those.
Old 18 May 2002, 21:49 (Ref:289737)   #48
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apology accepted from this one as well, Thamk you , Baron.
Old 21 May 2002, 17:27 (Ref:291681)   #49
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The banning and censoring of people here has long been a sticky subject. I do not agree with the administrators hiding behind the scenes and making these decisions. Several have indicated here that this is "there" site. Yes it is. But without the rest of us, there would be no site and thus we should be better informed. I personally have been involved with a serious disagreement with one of the admins and they took advantage of hiding in the admin area and trying to discredit me and having me banned. It would have been a one-sided presentation to others had I not found a way into the discussion. As a result of my getting involved in the admin area, the result was the exact opposite of what was originally intended. I received an apology, which did have a positive impact on my impression of this individual.

Last edited by Redneck; 21 May 2002 at 17:33.
Old 21 May 2002, 17:32 (Ref:291685)   #50
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*applause*
Closed Thread