Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Mar 2011, 13:06 (Ref:2840551)   #1
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Insurance for the road

Any suggestions where I might source cover for a race car which might be occasionally used on the road? Existing insurers (Footman James) will not cover a car for road use "if it's also used for motor sport" which is a bit of a surprise given the percentage of roadgoing classics that take part in some form of sport or other. They will offer a fire & theft/laid up policy, which at £400+ is twice the price of other fully comp policies I have with them! Seems crazy.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2840552)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Eggar Lawson
Old 5 Mar 2011, 13:13 (Ref:2840557)   #3
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems add as there are of course all types of rally car that get used on the road, both historic and modern. They have "normal" road insurance and then pay an extra fee when they are on an event via the organisers.
My FIA MGB is insurance via Peter Best and it's only for 1000 miles a year but they have it's full spec and it's £110 p.a.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 14:11 (Ref:2840582)   #4
Farbrooke
Racer

Farbrooke has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
try http://www.reis.co.uk/
Old 5 Mar 2011, 14:21 (Ref:2840589)   #5
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.diamondinsurance.net/

I use them in exactly the same way as you wish to, racing and some very sparse road use.

This isn't the Diamond that only insure women by the way, it's Diamond Insurance Consultants in Tring. Very small and helpful company.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 14:55 (Ref:2840605)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You could try these too. http://www.flickr.com/photos/4098191...7626069083713/

Don't know if they fit your needs but they insure my cars and trailer in the paddock, storage and travelling between races etc. Just not track damage. You need extra cover for that and I'd look at Towergate or Eggar Lawson for on track stuff.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 15:11 (Ref:2840617)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I'm sure you'll agree those are very nice pics but perhaps these will be better for insurance purposes.

http://www.hagertyinsurance.co.uk/Cl...rance-overview
Old 5 Mar 2011, 16:01 (Ref:2840637)   #8
tim dodwell
Racer

tim dodwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reis I think is Richard Egger Insurance, very helpful and Lisa there will give you a good quote.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 17:48 (Ref:2840691)   #9
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Believe it or not but there is an outfit called "Competition Car Insurance". I have insured the 'B for about £140. I am at mum and dad's in Nottinghamshire at the moment (back end of beyond village but totally cracking boozer with great ale [Gordon S would be proud except there is no Larkins] and great people) so I cannot post the address but will do when I get back to the office on Monday
Old 5 Mar 2011, 18:17 (Ref:2840704)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would have thought it to be worth a bit more than that Nick?
Old 5 Mar 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2840714)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
Believe it or not but there is an outfit called "Competition Car Insurance".
That's Eggar Lawson.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2840718)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Bit late to the party but Hagerty seem to be very much on the ball currently. As we all know things can change from year to year, but they have not given me cause to look elsewhere for the last 3 or 4 years.

Have cars insured for road, as well as some for competition use only, and all on one policy. Not a problem to cover same car for road and competition. Bonus last year that Tour Britannia cover (road risks obviously) didn't require any extra premium.

Would stress though that they don't include cover while racing- just fire & theft, in transit etc.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2840745)   #13
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Like Mike, i,ve been with Hagerty for last few years.

Cannot fault them.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 00:17 (Ref:2840844)   #14
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like I'll be on the phone all day. Very disappointed with FJ's response though, are they just going for volume now they're part of Aon? You'd think they'd have something to offer. And after being on hold for an age being passed from one department to another I never want to hear bloody Four Seasons again!
Old 6 Mar 2011, 07:46 (Ref:2840909)   #15
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
.....I never want to hear bloody Four Seasons again!
I always thought they were better with Frankie Valli since they split up with Vivaldi.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 07:58 (Ref:2840912)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
COlin

I agree, they've gone down the pan, although if you hang on long enough you get to hear 'the night' which is a great track
Old 6 Mar 2011, 08:22 (Ref:2840920)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I always thought they were better with Frankie Valli since they split up with Vivaldi.
Very good for a sunday morning!

Colin, ring Hagerty first- you may not need to make another call

(In interest of fairness- other insurers are available )
Old 6 Mar 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2840933)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
And don't forget, your home is at risk if you set light to it!
Old 6 Mar 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2840944)   #19
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Your home is also at risk if you keep buying more racing cars
Old 6 Mar 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2840951)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Funny you should say that......
Old 6 Mar 2011, 22:01 (Ref:2841186)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
your marriage is at risk if you come home with more cars!
Old 7 Mar 2011, 09:50 (Ref:2841376)   #22
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim's right ! Competition Car Ins IS Eggar Lawson
Old 8 Mar 2011, 21:14 (Ref:2842321)   #23
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
All fixed up with Hagerty with what seems like an excellent deal. Spoke to an obvious enthusiast. "Keep it in a barn or something do you?" vs other's expectations of time locks, tank traps and razor wire.

Thanks to all for the advice, a good result.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 05:30 (Ref:2842487)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
All fixed up with Hagerty with what seems like an excellent deal. Spoke to an obvious enthusiast.
That is the difference when I have spoken to them. They know what the cars are, what an HTP is and that most of us look after our toys.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2842528)   #25
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
and that most of us look after our toys.
So that we can thrash them to death on track